Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I'm so confused about how this game is thriving...

Comments

• Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066
    Originally posted by Pivotelite
    Originally posted by Gaia_Hunter
    All these solutions to imaginary problems.

It's not an imaginary problem, the leveling system in MMOs is flawed, it leaves barren wastelands only a few months after launch unless the game is constantly bringing in players(F2P for example).

GW2 is just another one of those MMOs where once the initial burst of players wear of the game experience becomes terrible while leveling and you're stuck alone with NPCs and Bots.

Except if you go to GW2 starter areas you have loads of people in there.

And while in the mid areas there is less people it is far from barren.

Anyway unless you want to just remove a learning curve, tossing new players at mobs that are challenging to veterans, there will be areas that are always "lower level" even if there is no levels.

Also, the content Anet releases like the living story can indeed make certain areas hotspots of activity, like diessa plateau became while the content was on.

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• PanzerbasePanzerbase Member Posts: 423
    I'll end the confusion for you, it's not thriving. 
  • BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    Il end the confusion for you instead, making big profits and bring able to invest in new content = game thriving. Especially since only a % of the player base use cash shop.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292
    The game has a healthy population and is getting new content and events every month. If you personally don't like the game then you will of course think it's not thriving.

• ScivaSciva Member UncommonPosts: 298
    Originally posted by Panzerbase
    I'll end the confusion for you, it's not thriving. 

How did you come to that conculsion? Im alt tabbed from the game and it sure looks like it is thriving, i can't believe so many people believe this misinformation that people seem to put out.

• WhitebeardsWhitebeards Member Posts: 778
    Originally posted by Bladestrom
    Il end the confusion for you instead, making big profits and bring able to invest in new content = game thriving. Especially since only a % of the player base use cash shop.

What % would be that? all the new content is funded due to success of cash shop since there is no sub fee.

• VarossVaross Moderator UncommonPosts: 11,414
    Okay, finished cleaning.  Let the discussion continue, but please keep it civil.
    To give feedback on moderation, please contact [email protected]
  • redcappredcapp Member Posts: 722
    GW2 should switch to mega servers, with home server designation only applying to WvW matching.
  • BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    Originally posted by Whitebeards
    Originally posted by Bladestrom

What % would be that? all the new content is funded due to success of cash shop since there is no sub fee.

% of the player base not content you misread.  Game is making profit and new content without subs so people are staying purely on merit.  Therefore it is thriving.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• stevebombsquadstevebombsquad Member UncommonPosts: 884
    Originally posted by Neo_Viper

[mod edit]

No, it is because a person  posts something negative about GW2, and a lot of the GW2 fans feel the need to attack that person. Everyone has their own opinion on the game and their own experiences with it. Some people can't accept the fact that this game isn't what some people want. People are free to discuss whatever they want here, so if they want to post what they believe are negative points about the game, then they should be able to do just that.

James T. Kirk: All she's got isn't good enough! What else ya got?

• fiontarfiontar Member UncommonPosts: 3,682
    Originally posted by Mkilbride

So, I bought GW2, filled up my GW1 HoM, had my account stolen, NCsoft said that it was "To much of a hassle" to get it back, their literally worlds, I screamed and wanted to punch things, but got over it, my hype for GW2 was high, and well, ArenaNet is the one who makes the game...so. I got GW2. I played it in the beta and remember seeing "Placeholder" on a lot of things...then waited for the HEadstart...did the Headstart...noticed everything that said "Placeholder" was still there, and not changed from beta...

Played the game for three weeks and tried my best to like it...but after GW1, I couldn't forgive what they did to the series. I hear about how smashing a success it is, 400,000 concurrent players,  3 million + sales, 

So I like to log in every few weeks to just see how the game is going. I warp to around 10 different zones, the starting cities ect...and they are empty. I even did map chat in a zone and got that response "No one hears you", you know, when no one is in an area? That's nuts!

I assumed my server, must infact, be a low population. However, upon looking it up, my server is in the top 3 most populated! I wonder around and barely find anyone, and if I do, they are not interested in talking or interacting in any way...it's like they're bots...

So I am on one of the top 3 most populated servers, I can warp to each starting city, and most of the zones around them...and I can't find anyone unless one of those World Boss things are popping(In which case, I see like 60-70 people come outta nowhere...kinda lame, actually.), and the World BOss turns into no threat at all with so many people. Can just press auto-attack and go grab a snack, come back, collect phat lewtz.

I'm not understanding! During events and such in towns I can find a ton of people, but outside of town, it's like a ghost town! I tried 1-20 leveling ares, 20-40, and 40-70 areas and there was enough people in those zones to count on both of my hands! When I asked, people said everyone was doing end-game...

But then there is all this talk about how the game is getting lots of new players...but I can go to Queensdale and at certain hours get "NO one hears you" In Queensdale!

There are Dynamic Events in areas I can no longer complete because they require people...people that aren't there!

I've seen this same exact script before. How odd is that?

I've been playing since beta. I can't remember any placeholders by the final BWE, let alone once the game went live. Are there some zones that sometimes feel a bit empty? Well, yeah, but that's off the beaten path and usually at odd hours. Queensdale Empty? Lion's Arch Empty? Not even in the late night hours do I find them empty, so it's hard to take posts like the OP serious.

Arenanet isn't perfect. The reason some zones can sometimes feel pretty empty is that some zones have low dynamic event density and a lot of people seem to prefer to play in zones where they know they are guaranteed a productive hour or two of play. Even as an explorer type who loves the open world, since the new stress on Dailies I've found myself also spending a good amount of time in the same few zones with high event density.

1400+ hours here so far and I still often feel like there is too much to do when ever I sit down to play.

Want to know more about GW2 and why there is so much buzz? Start here: Guild Wars 2 Mass Info for the Uninitiated

• pedrostrikpedrostrik Member UncommonPosts: 396

I'm out to Africa since 1,5 month for job stuff and I'm missing the game a lot, the WxWxW its by far the best thing it happens on RPG's along last years, and there's where the game shines and if you have a nice guild its a non-stop addict . unfortunately i wil stay for long than 3 years away and playing mmrpg's or WxWxW from Africa ain't work even if i get a better and faster connection.

• SereliskSerelisk Member Posts: 836
    Originally posted by redcapp
    GW2 should switch to mega servers, with home server designation only applying to WvW matching.

This is essentially what they are already. Tons of parts or the game are accessible cross server, and you can guest to any server in your region. 

Originally posted by Serelisk
    Originally posted by redcapp

This is essentially what they are already. Tons of parts or the game are accessible cross server, and you can guest to any server in your region. 

That is why there is such a disparity in the population reports. Some people say there are a ton of people because everyone is guesting on those few servers. Others say there are none, and that is because people are guesting on other servers. It makes it hard to know what the actual population is. It certainly lies somewhere between the fanbois and the haters.... 

• FionFion Member UncommonPosts: 2,348
    Well I'm on tarnished coast myself and yea that server is always busy. That said my guild is huge and at all times 1/4 or more of the folks online are guesting elsewhere, so guesting certainly has something to do with the 'empty' servers. Server consolidation might be useful and isn't necessarily a bad thing.

That said do we really need another 'Why is GW2 doing so well when it should have died months ago?!?!' threads? I mean yea, MMORPG.com is the place to be if you hate GW2 and want it to die and make sure everyone possible knows they are wrong for liking it but damn this forum is getting repetitive.

• dimnikardimnikar Member Posts: 271
    Originally posted by Aeander
    Originally posted by fantasyfreak112

GW2 has impressive game quality, especially considering all the crap that's been slung at us over the years. It's the only game to put any sort of dent into WoW in the past 8 years.

That said, the game was sorely missing a key component. A point to playing it after the brief fun wears off.

Now there's a problem - why do you need a reason to play a game? "Fun" should more than suffice. Why does your character need bonus stats on his epicly rare legendary sword of fabled shinyness in order for you to continue playing? 

If the fun wears off, it's because of a sadly limited number of available skills and a lack of viable builds, not a lack of a purpose. 

What a ridiculous statement. It's like telling pen & paper role players to  ditch their dice and go play hide & seek, because that's more fun than stats and progressing your character.

• Homura235Homura235 Member UncommonPosts: 167
    First off, it sucks that you had your account hacked/stolen. But I can also see how that put a bad taste in your mouth right off the bat and began your negative view of the game. From someone whose main hobby is playing MMOs, I am telling you right now GW2 is the best MMO out. No, it isn't perfect, but no game is. And (like everyone else is telling you) I see other players running around all the time. My advice would be to join an active guild, because that way even if you are in an area where there aren't a lot of players currently, you can always hear from (and hopefully get help from) your guildies. 2 great things about GW2: level scaling and world completion. Meaning that there are usually veteran players running around lowbie zones because they are working on world completion, thus even more players in places other that social hubs or high-level zones. Also, playing at peak hours makes a difference, as well as times when world bosses spawn. More people come online just to do these events. I have 2 level 80 characters and have leveled 4-5 other characters to about 20, and I always see other people.
  • Neo_ViperNeo_Viper Member UncommonPosts: 609

Those saying that there's no end game progression are wrong for both PvE and PvP by the way.

For PvE you have ascended gear. Like it or not, that's progression very similar to the one in other theme park MMORPGs.

For WvW, you have the special WvW skills, which are basically horizontal progression, similar to DAoC but way better done and less game breaking for new players compared to veterans.

The progression for the progression hungry people is there. Those who say there is none are most likely not even playing the game (anymore).

My computer is better than yours.

• MothanosMothanos Member UncommonPosts: 1,910

For what its worth i realy loved GW2.
    Leveling / pvp / WvW all felt great.
    I got my money out of it for sure.

What made me lose interest was the way WvW was handled....
    If you dint jump ship to the next best server your WvW population died and you where stuck on a deserted pvp server.

This went on and on and on untill WvW itself became dull.
    It just felt way to casual and arcade for some reason.
    Also i just missed the healer / tank kind of stuff.
    My skills on my bar all felt the same after playing 1000 hours.
    Culling issue was horrible.
    No contend updates to WvW also dint helped...

GW2 is a great game, but for some reason i just coulnt play it anymore.
    Anet tried hard to make GW2 diffrent and it was a blast to play it, but it had no staying power for me.
    The game just dint felt like a real mmo for some reason, even tough its one of the better mmo's out there.

Originally posted by dimnikar

GW2 has impressive game quality, especially considering all the crap that's been slung at us over the years. It's the only game to put any sort of dent into WoW in the past 8 years.

That said, the game was sorely missing a key component. A point to playing it after the brief fun wears off.

Now there's a problem - why do you need a reason to play a game? "Fun" should more than suffice. Why does your character need bonus stats on his epicly rare legendary sword of fabled shinyness in order for you to continue playing? 

If the fun wears off, it's because of a sadly limited number of available skills and a lack of viable builds, not a lack of a purpose. 

What a ridiculous statement. It's like telling pen & paper role players to  ditch their dice and go play hide & seek, because that's more fun than stats and progressing your character.

On the other hand you don't go to paintball players and tell them to switch their aim  for dices, because it is more fun to progress character stats that your own aiming and team play skills.

Also in P&P rpgs you don't go farm the same boss over and over to get that piece of loot.

Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

On the other hand you don't go to paintball players and tell them to switch their aim  for dices, because it is more fun to progress character stats that your own aiming and team play skills.

Also in P&P rpgs you don't go farm the same boss over and over to get that piece of loot.

That is because there is a dungeon master to provide a different boss each time. There is "team" play in PnP and traditional MMO combat. I would say there is just as much if not more team play than in GW2 combat. Also, if you really want skill based combat, then go play a first person shooter. 

Originally posted by stevebombsquad

That is because there is a dungeon master to provide a different boss each time. There is "team" play in PnP and traditional MMO combat. I would say there is just as much if not more team play than in GW2 combat. Also, if you really want skill based combat, then go play a first person shooter. 

Because it is the LAW!

Can't have skill based MMORPGS ever!

Needs to be stats based and only stats based progression until the end of the time!

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Planetside and darkfall are heavily skill based

Because it is the LAW!

Needs to be stats based and only stats based progression until the end of the time!

No...because tab target, hotbar combat with a dodge and some moving does not necessarily equate to skill based combat...... 

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363

Because it is the LAW!

WOW - a little old school aren't we?