Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

[Column] Star Wars: The Old Republic: SWTOR 2.1: Color & Collection Chaos

BillMurphyBillMurphy Managing EditorBerea, OHPosts: 2,377MMORPG.COM Staff Uncommon

There's been a good deal of controversy surrounding the launch of Star Wars: The Old Republic's Game Update 2.1: Customization. We break down some of what we're hearing and offer our own take in this week's SWTOR column.

Let’s start with the existing pre-patch controversy (yup!) though. Players have been concerned about the basic idea that the update would be focused almost exclusively on Cartel Market content. With updates coming to the game every six to eight weeks, I honestly wouldn’t fault anyone for being upset that an entire game update was dedicated to features that mostly required players to open up their wallets. Fortunately, BioWare has explained that another Game Update is scheduled for release shortly after the launch of 2.1, and this update will be focused more on content or other systems unrelated to the Cartel Market.

Read more of Michael Bitton's Star Wars: The Old Republic: 2.1: Color & Collection Chaos.


image

«1

Comments

  • Agnostic42Agnostic42 That place, Overthere, WAPosts: 375Member

    SWTOR needs to stop trying to see how far they can push their greed. Ever since FTP was released, they have notoriously pushed out Cartell Market items at the highest expense to the player base. After the players literally riot on their forums, EA/Bioware backs off slightly so the customers feel like they won and EA still gets their chunk of change.

     

     

     

  • WicoaWicoa LondonPosts: 1,602Member Uncommon

    SWTOR  is and was the worst mmorpg I have ever played.  Especially considering "Massively Multiplayer", the game engine could not cope with what free games can (I.E 32 Players on a FPS map.  EA stuffed the biscuit on this one and served us a baked potato with our cup of tea.  After firing the majority of staff, they are just trying to make as much money possible back before shutting this disgrace down.

     

    With Free Rift coming and if they deliver what Trion say with access to everything.  SWTOR will be left there like the dumb monkey, with its banana in hand and a gorp look on its face.

     
  • CrazKanukCrazKanuk Elmira, ONPosts: 2,499Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Wicoa

    SWTOR  is and was the worst mmorpg I have ever played.  Especially considering "Massively Multiplayer", the game engine could not cope with what free games can (I.E 32 Players on a FPS map.  EA stuffed the biscuit on this one and served us a baked potato with our cup of tea.  After firing the majority of staff, they are just trying to make as much money possible back before shutting this disgrace down.

     

    With Free Rift coming and if they deliver what Trion say with access to everything.  SWTOR will be left there like the dumb monkey, with its banana in hand and a gorp look on its face.

     

     

    I'm sorry to say that Trion is not delivering access to "everything" as you elude to. They have many of the same restrictions that you'll find here. How do you think they will ever differentiate between their subs and f2p players?

     

    They say they aren't going to curve the exp gain which is awesome, and it's one difference between the two, but they are actually already charging for Storm Legion souls, so that's really no different than charging for a new race in SWTOR. Quoted right from the interview, "The primary restrictions to new users are limited bag slots, wardrobe slots, and role slots - things that are convenience."

     

    So I hate to disappoint, but you're going to be let down if you feel like you're going to be getting a cash shop experience that is wildly different from SWTOR, or any other cash shop for that matter. It's there to make money. Period. 

     

    Crazkanuk

    ----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

  • SoulStainSoulStain Tampa, FLPosts: 202Member
    Unlike SWTOR you can still subscribe to RIFT now for just one month sub,before it goes full on F2P,  and all those bag..bank..wardrobe and role slots  are all opened permanently. At least thats what I read. Thats a fair price to make most of the convenience stuff a non-issue (except storm legion roles provided you havent purchased the xpac)
  • WicoaWicoa LondonPosts: 1,602Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by CrazKanuk
    Originally posted by Wicoa

    SWTOR  is and was the worst mmorpg I have ever played.  Especially considering "Massively Multiplayer", the game engine could not cope with what free games can (I.E 32 Players on a FPS map.  EA stuffed the biscuit on this one and served us a baked potato with our cup of tea.  After firing the majority of staff, they are just trying to make as much money possible back before shutting this disgrace down.

     

    With Free Rift coming and if they deliver what Trion say with access to everything.  SWTOR will be left there like the dumb monkey, with its banana in hand and a gorp look on its face.

     

     

    I'm sorry to say that Trion is not delivering access to "everything" as you elude to. They have many of the same restrictions that you'll find here. How do you think they will ever differentiate between their subs and f2p players?

     

    They say they aren't going to curve the exp gain which is awesome, and it's one difference between the two, but they are actually already charging for Storm Legion souls, so that's really no different than charging for a new race in SWTOR. Quoted right from the interview, "The primary restrictions to new users are limited bag slots, wardrobe slots, and role slots - things that are convenience."

     

    So I hate to disappoint, but you're going to be let down if you feel like you're going to be getting a cash shop experience that is wildly different from SWTOR, or any other cash shop for that matter. It's there to make money. Period. 

     

    That really wasn't the main point of my post.  Though I will reply regarding the rift part, I don't play rift currently and I am not sure I will when it goes F2P.  From my experience of both games Rift would be the better option since it is entering a similar market position. I am playing GW2 and that is what I will stick to for a couple of months while I figure the game out.  I am generally tired of raiding games, if I wanted to play a raiding game I would play WoW first, Rift Second.

  • CrazKanukCrazKanuk Elmira, ONPosts: 2,499Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by SoulStain
    Unlock SWTOR you can still subscribe to RIFT now for one month and all those bag..bank..wardrobe and role slots  are all opened permanently. At least thats what I read. Thats a fair price to make most of the convenience stuff a non-issue (except storm legion roles provided you havent purchased the xpac)

    Sure, if that's the issue then sold! SWTOR still does something similar in that when you drop $5 you get "Preferred" status which would be similar to Patron status I think. Also, that never goes away. You are still gimped to some degree, though. I wouldn't anticipate anything different from Rift though, and I really hope that they follow through with that Patron idea. If so then I'll be on it. 

     

     

    Crazkanuk

    ----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

  • StacksguardStacksguard Austin, TXPosts: 4Member
    This is still a great game and i will continue to keep playing it. Keep up the great work!!
  • tawesstawess LkpgPosts: 2,537Member Uncommon

    I have to agree with this being overly complicated and does have a hint of either inflexibility or maybe even desperation.. Why only introduce half a dye system... It was like when SoE introduced a housing system i DCUO that was bound to a single character because "it would take to much time to make it work on a account level"

     

    Now i could have killed for a spot as a fly on the wall in these planning meetings... To hear who call the shots and what ideas was shut down. =)

  • AhnogAhnog Keller, TXPosts: 231Member Uncommon
    You missed the most important flaw with 2.1. A full 1/3 of the player base cannot play.

    Ahnog

    Hokey religions are no replacement for a good blaster at your side.

  • augustgraceaugustgrace Cottonwood, CAPosts: 624Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Ahnog
    You missed the most important flaw with 2.1. A full 1/3 of the player base cannot play.

    Aye lots of issues with the game not running after the patch, or the patch failing.  I kept getting the error on patching asset 116 and the most Bioware offered any of us was, delete stuff and keep trying.  End up having to install a third party program (swtor unleashed) in order to get the game to patch correctly.  I understand bugs in game, but at this point in gaming history a functional patcher (especially for such an established company) should be a given.

  • defector1968defector1968 Nar ShaddaaPosts: 393Member Common
    Originally posted by augustgrace
    Originally posted by Ahnog
    You missed the most important flaw with 2.1. A full 1/3 of the player base cannot play.

    Aye lots of issues with the game not running after the patch, or the patch failing.  I kept getting the error on patching asset 116 and the most Bioware offered any of us was, delete stuff and keep trying.  End up having to install a third party program (swtor unleashed) in order to get the game to patch correctly.  I understand bugs in game, but at this point in gaming history a functional patcher (especially for such an established company) should be a given.

    and its the 2nd time that this happened

    but this time is worst. last time they fix it in 12-16 hours, now is almost 2 days without a fix

  • SkuzSkuz WorcesterPosts: 1,034Member Uncommon

    I am okay with most of the additions brought in by 2.1.

    The ones I'm seriously annoyed by are the "graphics latency" & the stupidly long time it now takes me to log in, 10-30 minutes waiting on the load screen.

  • ComputerJuiceComputerJuice Portland, ORPosts: 17Member

    Writing in Teal makes your opinion so much more important.

    My reply in Red makes my opinion equally important, but slightly different & kinda angry about your opinion... Because if SWTOR is the worst game ever then why doe users rate it at a 7.3?  Must just be all the bads that don't know different right?

    Calming down... my opinion of your opinion is less aggressive but still makes people read my opinion and treat it even more weight cuz I can use the color button.... Pink is still kinda red but less red so that makes it less aggro... So...  I dont see how this game is a disgrace... yes, not all everyone wanted & hyped it up to be... but VERY far from a disgrace, like not even in the same ballpark. 

    Oh gawd, I mixed my colors. that must make my opinion very important. Yellow is an important color.

    More importantly than yellow is my opinion of the game... so I must use GREEN! it contrasts so nicely with this dark gray background, it must be the most important color to use when expressing my opinions that everyone will read my post and take it as law... or at the least bait trolls into flaming me for being obnoxious... yes! that will make my opinion have that much more weight.

    Damn! what happened? I my very important opinion was to be green but somehow i got stuck on reverse orange? well I guess I will have to make due...  anyway... SWTOR was a bit of a letdown at launch, but with this Customization update I feel SWTOR is where it should have been at launch.  I agree with michael, the implementation of dye is really dumb & an obvious attempt at getting even more cash out of everyone.  

    My OPINION of the game is EA pushed them to release it pre-panda's (like that was going to rule the MMO industry... GC is a tool, a douche-y broken tool) and the game was simply not ready to compete.  Which of course bit them in the behind. But, we're talking about EA here, so it should be no real surprise.  Unfortunately the consequence ended up being EA's wacky FTP & the cartel market... which is a little too "Double Dippy" for my tastes... but then i just want to pay a sub & get access to all content without the push to SPEND EVEN MORE!  

    And just because I have a pet peeve about people putting up flame walls in color to draw attention to their opinions I will conclude this with my other pet peeve about comments which is the inappropriate use of "LOL".  Like this:

     

    Play the game now before saying something is "Worst mmorpg" LOL!

  • orionblackorionblack Wichita Falls, TXPosts: 474Member Uncommon
    This update could have been so much better ,but if this is where the game is headed, then it's time for me to bow out. Hopefully that exclusive deal they signed didn't include future mmo's from EA and only single player games.
  • Sevenstar61Sevenstar61 Centreville, VAPosts: 1,690Member Uncommon

    Patch 2.1.0a was deployed today to fix Windows XP users login issues.

    As of dyes, I think people will like them much more when more combinations will be available. Look at all possible combinations. Everybody can look absolutely different with this system. Personally, I think the system has enormous potential. :)

    They just need to hire now a fashion designer or adviser for color combinations...

    image
    Sith Warrior - Story of Hate and Love http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxKrlwXt7Ao
    Imperial Agent - Rise of Cipher Nine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBBj3eJWBvU&feature=youtu.be
    Imperial Agent - Hunt for the Eagle Part 1http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQqjYYU128E

  • TerranahTerranah Stockton, CAPosts: 3,605Member

    This is the reason I stopped playing this game.  As a developer, they must first ask themselves, "Is this fun?"  These systems they are implementing have been done before, and done much better by many, many others.  It's not like it's the first time someone thought of these things.

     

    Free to play is too expensive to play this game.  They would have to pay me to play this piece of garbage.

     

    This game got off to a bad start and never got going.  I feel bad for Star Wars fans that this was foisted on them.

  • TerranahTerranah Stockton, CAPosts: 3,605Member
    Originally posted by ComputerJuice

    Writing in Teal makes your opinion so much more important.

    My reply in Red makes my opinion equally important, but slightly different & kinda angry about your opinion... Because if SWTOR is the worst game ever then why doe users rate it at a 7.3?  Must just be all the bads that don't know different right?

    Calming down... my opinion of your opinion is less aggressive but still makes people read my opinion and treat it even more weight cuz I can use the color button.... Pink is still kinda red but less red so that makes it less aggro... So...  I dont see how this game is a disgrace... yes, not all everyone wanted & hyped it up to be... but VERY far from a disgrace, like not even in the same ballpark. 

    Oh gawd, I mixed my colors. that must make my opinion very important. Yellow is an important color.

    More importantly than yellow is my opinion of the game... so I must use GREEN! it contrasts so nicely with this dark gray background, it must be the most important color to use when expressing my opinions that everyone will read my post and take it as law... or at the least bait trolls into flaming me for being obnoxious... yes! that will make my opinion have that much more weight.

    Damn! what happened? I my very important opinion was to be green but somehow i got stuck on reverse orange? well I guess I will have to make due...  anyway... SWTOR was a bit of a letdown at launch, but with this Customization update I feel SWTOR is where it should have been at launch.  I agree with michael, the implementation of dye is really dumb & an obvious attempt at getting even more cash out of everyone.  

    My OPINION of the game is EA pushed them to release it pre-panda's (like that was going to rule the MMO industry... GC is a tool, a douche-y broken tool) and the game was simply not ready to compete.  Which of course bit them in the behind. But, we're talking about EA here, so it should be no real surprise.  Unfortunately the consequence ended up being EA's wacky FTP & the cartel market... which is a little too "Double Dippy" for my tastes... but then i just want to pay a sub & get access to all content without the push to SPEND EVEN MORE!  

    And just because I have a pet peeve about people putting up flame walls in color to draw attention to their opinions I will conclude this with my other pet peeve about comments which is the inappropriate use of "LOL".  Like this:

     

    Play the game now before saying something is "Worst mmorpg" LOL!

     

     

    You should be limited to only two colors of text and they should be picked for you.  I pick black and white for you.  Enjoy.

  • Roman291Roman291 Herndon, VAPosts: 97Member Uncommon

    I don't know why people think SWTOR is the worst MMO. I just got back to playing it again last week, and I'm enjoying myself enough to subscribe again.

    Anyways, on the update, I love what they added. Cathar look awesome, and appearance change was a long time missing feature.

    However, my only quark with this update is Cathar, and the appearance change are not available free to subscribers. I'm not talking about effort to get them, but there is no other way to get Cathar or change appearance other than wait for the month cartel coins.

    This is pushing me anyway from subing more when my time runs out. Subscribers should have all of game oriented features, like appearance change, and races. I don't care if they charge for extravagant mounts or special looking armor, but subers should be getting everything the game has to offer.

  • JorendoJorendo EdePosts: 263Member
    What i don't get is that EA/Bioware said that the Cathar was gonna be a free race for subs. Yet i had to pay 600 cartel points if i wanted to unlock them.
  • witnezzwitnezz Here, NSPosts: 8Member
    Someone should do a story on the fact that for what I am actually taking advantage of that is included in my subscription, It is quickly getting to a point where I would be better off ditching my sub and spending that money strictly on cartel coins since almost everything I "rent" via subscription is available through a one time cartel market purchase.

    Then I could one time purchase what subscription features I actually take advantage of, and the new Cartel Market Only stuff I actually want and save myself the recurring bi-monthly expense.

    Subbing is quickly becoming, if not already, less valuable and less advantageous then "coining"
  • daltaniousdaltanious waPosts: 2,145Member Uncommon
    I agree actually on nearly all points of op, but still swtor remain most fun (along with wow) game of all times ever. :-)
  • OriginOfWavesOriginOfWaves NishPosts: 20Member
    kinda disappointing news about the dyes but maybe they'll see the error of their ways
  • 7eventyone7eventyone AthensPosts: 3Member

    SWTOR business model is an exercise in fan milking. Never i have seen so many people willingly being whales over so mediocre purpose. Ofcourse, things i consider mediocre, like the TOR MMO, other people might consider exceptional. Fantastic. Stunning.

     

    And do I believe that this game had and still has potential? Yes, Hell, yes  but it is badly managed. Someday all the whales will go away when they ll realize that they spent their money over digital items (and not real ones where they can be kept), just for the excitement of the moment.

     

    Is it necessary to have those dyes, this thone-mount or this hair to play the game? No. And still EA/Bioware capitalizes on what many MMO players and overly attached IP fans consider very important. Personalization. Fake sense of "Coolness". To stand out of the rest.

     

    To own "cool" items.

     

    That does not make you a better player though it does not hinder you, also. But it does makes you a show-off,  standing in the fleet proudly posing with your new item that you mindlessly spent a load of real money on casino packs, betting red or black.  Your money, your call, i guess but that does not change you a bit. That does not make you cool. If you where an a-hole before you now will be an a-hole with a throne/black dye armor/funny hair.

     

    Bioware could do much more at least for subscribers, those angry people at their forums feeling devalued and attacked by the Biodrones. They could meet them half way by charging in game money for minor things like hair change to subs and make a better system of acquiring dyes. Some people say like GW2, i do not know but something less greedy is needed. They ll get their money anyway, just show some good faith to your loyal customers.

     

    People say the money Bioware makes will be used for making quality content but that is not proven yet. Makeb was a mediocre addition, an ok DLC at best but not an expansion. No class stories and not enough quests to take you to the level cap. Then they finished  Cathar and asked additional CCs from their subs where in most other MMO's races are free to subs. I think that a large portion of their "more than doubled" profit goes to their investors and owners, EA, and that is understandable. What is left is mostly used on designing new CS products and only a tiny portion goes to new content, QA and bug solving dept if that really exists.

     

    And that is sad. This business model sustains the bad name SWTOR, EA and Bioware have around the MMO community and dooms the great potential this game clearly has.

     
  • killingjoke7killingjoke7 Georgetown, KYPosts: 5Member
    I like using SALTS ( Smile A Little Then Stop )      over LOL...LOL is way over used.....
  • SoulStainSoulStain Tampa, FLPosts: 202Member
    Originally posted by CrazKanuk
    Originally posted by SoulStain
    Unlock SWTOR you can still subscribe to RIFT now for one month and all those bag..bank..wardrobe and role slots  are all opened permanently. At least thats what I read. Thats a fair price to make most of the convenience stuff a non-issue (except storm legion roles provided you havent purchased the xpac)

    Sure, if that's the issue then sold! SWTOR still does something similar in that when you drop $5 you get "Preferred" status which would be similar to Patron status I think. Also, that never goes away. You are still gimped to some degree, though. I wouldn't anticipate anything different from Rift though, and I really hope that they follow through with that Patron idea. If so then I'll be on it. 

     

     

    Now I like SWTOR but not the F2 setup. I sub when i want to play TOR. Also spend too much in the cash shop while subbed .lol. Though some of the changes they're making with more account wide stuff available will help that. I always have liked  RIFT and its F2P model will allow me to play both games..I believe. My problem is they're too many good options for me...GW2..TSW..Defiance..STO .Aion and Tera are also pretty damn free.. I'm even playing a tutu modded Baldur's gate and looking to play Ultima 7 again. Not to mention all the other games. Damn F2P ,,,Steam and GOG.

     I almost miss the times when choices were  limited.lol

«1
Sign In or Register to comment.