Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Good game, ruined by outrageously price cash shop

2»

Comments

• MalkosMalkos Member UncommonPosts: 19
    Originally posted by thinktank001
    Originally posted by Torvaldr 

So it makes more sense to you that people rent access to a game for $200 per year, but purchasing permanent access to a mount for $45 that all your characters can use is for douche bags.  At the end of the year you need to pay another $200 per year to keep access to your p2p mount while the sub-free player still keeps that mount with no additional fees.

What makes you think someone who is too cheap to spend a $45 one time fee on a mount will be willing to pay an ongoing sub-fee + box/expac fees + the cash shop to play your p2p game?  Did you consider they could be the whiners on the forums that say the game is too expensive?

Any player that believes a mount is a one time fee is being completely naïve.   It is just a matter of time before they add a better mount and it will cost another $45 dollars.  Not to mention, they will probably add new mounts equivalent to the current ones, but just more flashy.   This is on top of every yearly expansion that will probably bring new equipment that makes your current equipment junk so all players have to purchase upgrading materials through the cash shop again.

A player can play for free, but it will be the same as every other cash shop based game.  Players need to grind in game currency to purchase cash shop items from other players, and your grinding will get longer every update, since every other player that is grinding will add to inflation.    

Not to mention the fact that with new updates, quite a bit of that goes to the cash shop. In a lot of f2p games with hoist a cash shop that they want to make "important" a lot of the content that is added is not accessible to people who don't shell out some cash.

Say a new level cap arrives. That means prime time for xp boosters to get to that cap the fastest, so they have a bit of a sale. But combine this with the fact that they make the grind to the new cap grueling and long winded -without- those boosters.

While a lot of the stuff in the f2p games can be done just with more effort, a lot of the times it's a LOT more effort. And if I want to keep up and make the game like that sub game that charges 15$ a month for everything, I probably have to pay a good sum more than 200$ a year.

• YalexyYalexy Member UncommonPosts: 1,058

Originally posted by maple2
    hahha i dont know if u people are just stupid or anything but a game with  a cash shop that cost alot of money is nothing new... and also Neverwinter is probly the best F2P game that exist in the market.. and also u quit because of the prices are you somewhat dumb? so you dont quit wow cause its not expensive?

I'm happily paying $15/month, as I get everything the game has to offer on a fixed pricetag, and more importantly, these $15/month are for everyone leveling the playingfield, especially in PvP.

F2P will allways be P2W and I don't support this.

• BattlerockBattlerock Member CommonPosts: 1,393
    Go play something else. I have spent over $3500 and I dont regret one bit of it. Im having the time of my life and I made a ton of new friends. Im flying out to Chicago this weekend to meet some of them in person too. Neverwinter is never going to die.
  • DAS1337DAS1337 Member UncommonPosts: 2,610
    Originally posted by Rhazmuz
    Originally posted by korent1991

The prices are blown out of proportions but it was expected since it's PWE behind it.

I don't really understand, wouldn't it be better if prices were 5-10-15$... That way more people would buy it and they'd get alot more money and players wouldn't feel they're being ripped off xD

You se this argument alot.

However I would like to see the evidence for this? Seeing as this is a "simple" maximisation problem, I find it interesting that we have so many gamers who are better economists than those we assume to be employed by the gaming companies, and seemingly have no clue how to get max revenue from their games.

Are we assuming the companie shave no clue how to gauge prices, and simply pull out numbers from their arses, not looking at their previous offereings and the revenue levels these games yielded at certain pricepoints?

Ah.. should we then think that companies know what they are doing all the time?  Is that your solution?  

I personally would be more interested in buying something at a cheaper cost if I had the chance.  Is it true that a mount is about the price of the game that you are playing if it were B2P?  Why in the world would I spend that much money on a mount?  All F2P is, most of the time, is a cash grab.  And all of you idiots keep this business model alive by paying for things that should have been included in the game to begin with.

Does anyone remember Dragon Age?  The day of it's release, they had DLC in the store.  Do you find that acceptable too?  To already have finished content that should be part of the released game, but to sell it as DLC to make a little extra money?  

Cash shops are the devil.  It's just a means to be a lazy developer and take advantage of all of the dumbasses who play MMO's.

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916

So it makes more sense to you that people rent access to a game for $200 per year, but purchasing permanent access to a mount for $45 that all your characters can use is for douche bags.  At the end of the year you need to pay another $200 per year to keep access to your p2p mount while the sub-free player still keeps that mount with no additional fees.

Who on earth pays $200 to "rent access" to a game ? Which game is that, and how many players does it have ?

In all the P2P games I've played in the last 11 years, I've never paid more than about $100-$120 per year for a sub. That's the going rate if you take annual subs, and 6-month subs don't work out to a great deal more.

And for that paltry sum, I could access every single bit of content in the game. I could craft my own extra bags for inventory space, earn cool mounts and outfits through normal gameplay, and I knew EXACTLY how much money the game would cost me. 

• ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495
    Originally posted by 4Renziks
    These prices are a total rip off...something most be wrong...so for 1 extra bag is 15 bucks? for a rock guy 30bucks? for a mount 45bucks...no way...someone wake me up..these prices are wrong right?

Do those things in their cashshop enhance your fun level that much?

Yes the bag limit is sometimes annoying but then again a quick stop back to the main city to store enchantment is done pretty quickly. By now (Control Wizard level 35) don't loot everything, unless I see use for it to sell or need it myself. My resource tab seems to be holding steady and thankfully everything stacks.

Rock guy?

Mounts? again do you really need them, perhaps they might make you look cooler, but I hardly see any use for them, still have 2 out of my 3 rental horses, I just like to kill everything on my way (PVE wise) aswell explore every inch for the use of my kits.

As you might have read I admit to having used the cashshop even though I always said I never would in what ever game. But my only reason was to get some key's to open those Nightmare Lockboxes. I plan (for now) to spend a normal subfee of money on the game each month, that's 15 €. But only for those key's. Because I am not seeing anything I am missing out of when playing the game.

• SpellforgedSpellforged Member UncommonPosts: 458
    Perfect World Entertainment is known among Free to Play gamers as being one of the most expensive.  They've always had overpriced cash shops in their games and you get very little for your money.  Most of their self developed Free to Play games are completely outrageous to the point of requiring thousands of dollars if you want to be competitive.

• thinktank001thinktank001 Member UncommonPosts: 2,144

I think you may be confused with the definition of a one time fee.  It's a fee you pay ONCE.  The mount you only pay for one time.  You may buy additional stuff or even another mount, but you're not paying for that mount again.  You don't need to pay any more money to access the mount again, thus we call that a "one time fee".

The definition of one time fee is only paying once, but that isn't how the term is used.   The proper usage of the term " one time fee " in this case would be paying once and having access to all the mounts in the store.  

• Joejc7135Joejc7135 Member UncommonPosts: 214
    Originally posted by thinktank001

I think you may be confused with the definition of a one time fee.  It's a fee you pay ONCE.  The mount you only pay for one time.  You may buy additional stuff or even another mount, but you're not paying for that mount again.  You don't need to pay any more money to access the mount again, thus we call that a "one time fee".

The definition of one time fee is only paying once, but that isn't how the term is used.   The proper usage of the term " one time fee " in this case would be paying once and having access to all the mounts in the store.  

That would be a one time fee for mount access. Saying there is a one time fee PER mount is not incorrect.

• SpeakzzzSpeakzzz Member UncommonPosts: 29
    The ONE problem I have with Neverwinter's cash shop is that you have a 1% chance to fuse 4 enchantments of either rank 6 or 7 to a higher tier enchantment. Everything is tradable in the auction house I give you that. What happens when all the epics are being traded for 3k diamonds and those wards that make the fusion chance 100% are still trading at 100k diamonds? While the game may not be considered pay to win at this point I think it is vital to look down the road. While you may say its still not pay to win you can earn it in game it just takes a long time. Anything that gives you a huge time advantage is pay to win atleast in my book. So have fun and hopefully you are in the game, but take my advice and build up what astral diamonds you can now. The easy money you can make now will be painstaking to get later.
  • GolelornGolelorn Member RarePosts: 1,395

The bag slots are ludicrous. I got the Dire Wolf with my 60 dollar founders purchase, and I won't waste anymore on a companion. Only one worth having is the cleric for 2gp.

Gotta agree the cash shop is outrageously overpriced for what you get. Much better to enjoy the game for free until they wake up.

• VikingGamerVikingGamer Member UncommonPosts: 1,350

companions and mounts do seem a bit pricey but also keep in mind that these are not ongoing purchases. These are not exp boosters or consumables that get used up. These are also not 14 or 30 day mounts like they have in some games. These items are the cash shop equivalent of a one time box purchase.

It is also worth keeping in mind that you don't need to buy everything you desire or have to get it all up front.

Even so, the prices are a bit on the high side but they are far from outragous or being the worst I have seen.

All die, so die well.

• CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130

To be completely honest, people who are cheap aren't going to spend money anyway. So it's just something to bitch and moan about, really. Would you pay $25 for a mount? Probably not? $10 for a mount? probably not. Actually, if I'm not mistaken, I think you can get a mount for like $6 if I remember correctly. It's only the upper-tier mounts that cost the big bucks. 

That said, if you're really opposed to spending real, out-of-pocket money for the stuff, you can use the Zen exchange and buy currency from the rich folk who will pay your for your Astral Diamonds. 

So, really, this game does cater to people who are willing to spend money, but people who aren't willing to spend money can actually sell stuff to the people who are spending money in exchange for the same in-game currency that they rich people paid for, right? So where's the problem? 

If you want to bitch and whine about someone screwing you, why don't you whine about Blizz charging $25 for mounts on top of subscription prices and expansion prices, etc., etc. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• SourajitSourajit Member UncommonPosts: 472
    Originally posted by 4Renziks
    These prices are a total rip off...something most be wrong...so for 1 extra bag is 15 bucks? for a rock guy 30bucks? for a mount 45bucks...no way...someone wake me up..these prices are wrong right?

It is a rip of kind of a game. The easy XP was just to make you reach higher level and then use the rip-off cash shop.

Sadly, the easy XP will also not make players linger to the game longer.

So, it is a gamble, either you have cash shop users or you do not want to keep a non-cash shop player base.

I wonder if this gamble will work when most of the higher level content is team based.

But then again teams can be formed with multiple characters played by the support stuff.

Cheers
    Sourajit Nandi

" Don't listen to anyone who tells you that you can't play this or that. That's nonsense. Make up your mind,and you'll never whine or repent about gaming hours anymore, then have a go at every Game. Open up the Internet, join in all the Mmorpgs you can. Go make the Guild. But never, never let them persuade you that things are too difficult or impossible. "

Once An Addict Always An Addict .

Originally posted by CrazKanuk

To be completely honest, people who are cheap aren't going to spend money anyway. So it's just something to bitch and moan about, really. Would you pay $25 for a mount? Probably not? $10 for a mount? probably not. Actually, if I'm not mistaken, I think you can get a mount for like $6 if I remember correctly. It's only the upper-tier mounts that cost the big bucks. 

That said, if you're really opposed to spending real, out-of-pocket money for the stuff, you can use the Zen exchange and buy currency from the rich folk who will pay your for your Astral Diamonds. 

So, really, this game does cater to people who are willing to spend money, but people who aren't willing to spend money can actually sell stuff to the people who are spending money in exchange for the same in-game currency that they rich people paid for, right? So where's the problem? 

If you want to bitch and whine about someone screwing you, why don't you whine about Blizz charging $25 for mounts on top of subscription prices and expansion prices, etc., etc. 

Are you comparing the Bliz content and Neverwinter's content ?

Hilarious !!!

Cheers
    Sourajit Nandi

" Don't listen to anyone who tells you that you can't play this or that. That's nonsense. Make up your mind,and you'll never whine or repent about gaming hours anymore, then have a go at every Game. Open up the Internet, join in all the Mmorpgs you can. Go make the Guild. But never, never let them persuade you that things are too difficult or impossible. "

• PNM_JenningsPNM_Jennings Member UncommonPosts: 1,093
    or. y'know. you could, like, not buy anything and then the game's... well... um... it's free if you don't buy anything, actually.
  • CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    Originally posted by Sourajit
    Originally posted by CrazKanuk

Are you comparing the Bliz content and Neverwinter's content ?

Hilarious !!!

Ummmmmm, yeah no. Just wanted to illustrate that it's not just F2P companies who are screwing people. Pretty much if you play MMOs you're.... gaping by now, lol, just enjoy it. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• XiaokiXiaoki Member EpicPosts: 3,855

Originally posted by Slythe
    Originally posted by korent1991 The prices are blown out of proportions but it was expected since it's PWE behind it. I don't really understand, wouldn't it be better if prices were 5-10-15$... That way more people would buy it and they'd get alot more money and players wouldn't feel they're being ripped off xD It is F2P game and I don't expect them to give it to us just like that, but with this kind of prices they aren't doing anything good for themselves. 
    Because they know that a lot of people have the money to burn, and those people would pay $45 to have a "cool" mount that makes them feel special.

The whole mount thing is hilarious to me in this game. I can see needing a mount in a BIG game with a huge world, but in this game you really don't even need one. And yet, some morons (yes, I said morons) are paying 45 bucks for one.

Yeah, people are buying the $45 mounts now but what about when the "Honeymoon" period is over? Neverwinter is currently the new hot MMO everyone wants to play, but what happens when thats no longer the case?

What happens a year from now when a lot of the players have moved on to other games like WildStar, ESO, EQ Next or Blizzard's Titan?

Do you think people coming in just to try it will as likely to buy a $45 mount? What about the $30 Companions? $10 Wards?

Neverwinter's insanely priced cash shop is coasting on hype right now but that doesnt last forever.

Originally posted by Xiaoki

Originally posted by Slythe

Originally posted by korent1991 The prices are blown out of proportions but it was expected since it's PWE behind it. I don't really understand, wouldn't it be better if prices were 5-10-15$... That way more people would buy it and they'd get alot more money and players wouldn't feel they're being ripped off xD It is F2P game and I don't expect them to give it to us just like that, but with this kind of prices they aren't doing anything good for themselves. 
    Because they know that a lot of people have the money to burn, and those people would pay $45 to have a "cool" mount that makes them feel special.

The whole mount thing is hilarious to me in this game. I can see needing a mount in a BIG game with a huge world, but in this game you really don't even need one. And yet, some morons (yes, I said morons) are paying 45 bucks for one.

Yeah, people are buying the $45 mounts now but what about when the "Honeymoon" period is over? Neverwinter is currently the new hot MMO everyone wants to play, but what happens when thats no longer the case?

What happens a year from now when a lot of the players have moved on to other games like WildStar, ESO, EQ Next or Blizzard's Titan?

Do you think people coming in just to try it will as likely to buy a $45 mount? What about the $30 Companions? $10 Wards?

Neverwinter's insanely priced cash shop is coasting on hype right now but that doesnt last forever.

I wonder if people are buying. Most of the players are taking the game as a temporary phase. The real thing to watch will be if they could really keep the player base or going to lose it all just to earn some quick bucks ?

Cheers
    Sourajit Nandi

• kaz350kaz350 Member UncommonPosts: 130

OP......

You can exchange AD for Zen.....buy your bag (the only thing that is basically NEEDED

Play the game all the way to 60 without spending a single penny with no content locked off to you.

Wards are cheap after you get lv 60 when you actually need them. (AD rewards increased)

Mounts are vanity...

You can get higher tier companions in game as drops, turn ins and pvp rewards.

If you are trolling please end this misinformed nonsense.  If you genuinely have questions on Neverwinter however I'm glad to help. 

• BraindomeBraindome Member UncommonPosts: 959
    Originally posted by kaz350

OP......

You can exchange AD for Zen.....buy your bag (the only thing that is basically NEEDED

Play the game all the way to 60 without spending a single penny with no content locked off to you.

Wards are cheap after you get lv 60 when you actually need them. (AD rewards increased)

Mounts are vanity...

You can get higher tier companions in game as drops, turn ins and pvp rewards.

If you are trolling please end this misinformed nonsense.  If you genuinely have questions on Neverwinter however I'm glad to help. 

Exactly, you can get shop items with in-game currency....although, i'm sure they will then complain about having to "play" the game to earn points to buy the stuff. 

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912
    I must agree here. The prices are outrageous.

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• MachkeznhoMachkeznho Member UncommonPosts: 424
    Everyone cries for f2p and when they get it its a QQ fest about being nickel and dimed.  Subscription imho remains supreme.
  • DrakephireDrakephire Member UncommonPosts: 451
    Originally posted by Datastar
    Everyone cries for f2p and when they get it its a QQ fest about being nickel and dimed.  Subscription imho remains supreme.

Except this isn't nickel and dimed. This is Benjamined. 

PWE should follow a volume-oriented model rather than a luxury-oriented model.