Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Interview] Rift: Going Free to Play June 12th

Comments

• RizelStarRizelStar Member UncommonPosts: 2,773

So how many MMORPGs are left P2P that are considered healthy?

Can only think of Eve and I guess WoW but it just lost over 1 million subs, still has a lot so I'll count that, so 2  that I can think of.

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.

• ArakaziArakazi Member UncommonPosts: 911
    Since this has happened to a game I was currently subbing, I have kinda accepted that the P2P model that I prefer is pretty much going the way of the dodo. F2P is the model all games are heading, cash shops, pets, mounts and XP potions etc. something that was once a considered a stain in MMOs are now the norm.
  • danwest58danwest58 Member RarePosts: 2,012
    Originally posted by RizelStar

Can only think of Eve and I guess WoW but it just lost over 1 million subs, still has a lot so I'll count that, so 2  that I can think of.

Thats cause games like Eve can be P2P because they are all profit right now.  Just like why UO is still P2P, its been paid for 100 times over and now its just profit.  Too many games made in the last 7 years that only had a little success and thought they were going to be the next WoW.  Well that cost companies big time money and only made a little profit.  Look at SWTOR, 250 Million just to make it.  EQNEXT and Titan will change the MMO landscape and will likely be P2P because they will be worth it.  Look how popular EQNEXT is already because people know it will be a sandbox.

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    They better get their servers good and ready cos they are gunna go BOOM.
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
    Originally posted by danwest58

Thats cause games like Eve can be P2P because they are all profit right now.  Just like why UO is still P2P, its been paid for 100 times over and now its just profit.  Too many games made in the last 7 years that only had a little success and thought they were going to be the next WoW.  Well that cost companies big time money and only made a little profit.  Look at SWTOR, 250 Million just to make it.  EQNEXT and Titan will change the MMO landscape and will likely be P2P because they will be worth it.  Look how popular EQNEXT is already because people know it will be a sandbox.

Yeah, some of us felt the same about Rift, SWTOR and so on and so on. I'm too disillusioned at the moment to believe that some game that we have heard very little solid information about is going to charge in and save the day. Hard fact is that Rift pretty much failed. It was too similar to all the other games that it was competing against to really stand out. Too grindy to keep peoples attention and too much more of the same.

• PNM_JenningsPNM_Jennings Member UncommonPosts: 1,093
    excellent
  • danwest58danwest58 Member RarePosts: 2,012
    Originally posted by Arakazi
    Originally posted by danwest58

Yeah, some of us felt the same about Rift, SWTOR and so on and so on. I'm too disillusioned at the moment to believe that some game that we have heard very little solid information about is going to charge in and save the day. Hard fact is that Rift pretty much failed. It was too similar to all the other games that it was competing against to really stand out. Too grindy to keep peoples attention and too much more of the same.

I agree it was grindy; thats why myself and a dozen friends quit back in Jan.  You have to spend time gearing up for normals, then experts then raids.  I can tell you I seen it very quickly that people got tired of the grind.  Thats why few people were left that wanted to raid.  

• strangiato2112strangiato2112 Member CommonPosts: 1,538

Wonder if the updates will pick back up after the conversion.  Last major patch was before storm legion, and storm legion was 6 months ago. (2.1 was content held back from Storm Legion and 2.2 was Planar Attunement, the bulk of which was designed a year prior)

• Sk1ppeRSk1ppeR Member Posts: 511
    Another one bites the dust. To hell with subscriptons :U I'd rather B2P 
    Originally posted by Vannor
    They better get their servers good and ready cos they are gunna go BOOM.

Wont be an issue, they got tons of "trial servers" kicking around

Dont think the f2p boost will be that big, because most people have already played Rift.  It will fill up the servers for a weekend or two and then settle back down to a somewhat busier Telara but the game isnt going to grow to SWToR or EvE size long term because of f2p.  unless they un-mediocre it.

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    Originally posted by Raventree
    Originally posted by GameByNight

I support this move. The pace of new content has dramatically slowed down and by all reports the population was dropping, probably as a result of being one of the last "old guard" of the subscription model. This will, without doubt, ensure I go back to the game and finish leveling and probably even spend a few dollars to support one of the best MMOs out there today. And with any luck, lots of other players will come to that same conclusion about RIFT's quality.

I think the problem is that there are so many F2P options out there that players aren't really expecting to have to sub anymore.  It is a mixed bag, but it has worked out quite well for SWToR.

The only reason why players "aren't really expecting to have a sub anymore", is because none of them can afford it anymore...

Because the F2P games are taking all their money !! :D

• UnrealRpgUnrealRpg Member UncommonPosts: 138
    Finally.
  • AnnwynAnnwyn Member UncommonPosts: 2,854

I agree with the essence of your post, but I wouldn't say that RIFT "failed" so much in comparison to other titles like SWTOR. RIFT had a fairly decent start, it wasn't a massive population, but they didn't suffer a massive drop either and Trion has been able to keep the game running as P2P for over 2 years now, while adding content at a surprising pace.

Certainly the game's shortcoming has gradually killed the population, along with other large titles like GW2 that just chipped further into the playerbase, but I don't think I'd call RIFT a failure for that. I see the move towards the F2P the same way I saw it with LOTRO, it was just the next step.

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    Not surprised. With the quality of F2P competition out there now, I don't think any game can really compete without adapting. WoW will probably go F2P when it dips to 5 million.
  • CoolitCoolit Member UncommonPosts: 661

I've played since beta and although I don't play every day I've maintained my sub and then some since launch but I have to admit the game just hasn't been the same since SL went live.

It will definitely thrive as a F2P game "if the model is fair", with a massive amount of content and things to do even hardcore people will be impressed with what's available in RiFT. It's going to be interesting to see how this effects content patches and future updates though.  

• QSatuQSatu Member UncommonPosts: 1,796
    Originally posted by boxsnd
    This is the final nail in P2P's coffin. I am now 100% sure TESO and Wildstar won't be P2P either.

TESO might be p2p with the plan to switch to f2p some time later. But Wildstar I think will be f2p from the start.

I am somehow happy. I kind of liked Rift's trial but I would never pay sub for it. I will give it a try.

Originally posted by MadnessRealm

I agree with the essence of your post, but I wouldn't say that RIFT "failed" so much in comparison to other titles like SWTOR. RIFT had a fairly decent start, it wasn't a massive population, but they didn't suffer a massive drop either and Trion has been able to keep the game running as P2P for over 2 years now, while adding content at a surprising pace.

Certainly the game's shortcoming has gradually killed the population, along with other large titles like GW2 that just chipped further into the playerbase, but I don't think I'd call RIFT a failure for that. I see the move towards the F2P the same way I saw it with LOTRO, it was just the next step.

Rift didnt hve a massive drop like AoC or WAR, but it had a very steep one.  650k sales in March, over one million sales by august, 250k subscribers by December 2011 (this isnt known for a fact, but it makes sense with the server activity/closings at the time)

Rift wasnt a big failure, but it really isnt a success either.  Hopefully the f2p does what it did for EQ2-stabilized the population.

• darkheart84darkheart84 Member UncommonPosts: 84

I don't get why people are saying "People prefer good games than F2P games, example is WoW"

FYI, WoW lost around 2 million subs in the past couple of months and it continues decreasing. It is a game that lives on its initial success and a population that refuses to give it up due to the life they've already invested on it. The only reason they still have a substantial subscriber amount is due to their initially large numbers from the start. No P2P game has an ongoing increase in subs anymore.

The Asians have won.

• SlampigSlampig Member UncommonPosts: 2,342
    Free players can get REX from the auction house at a price determined by players... If one thing I have seen after all these years, players will gouge the SH*T out of you any chance they get...

That Guild Wars 2 login screen knocked up my wife. Must be the second coming!

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

finally i can bring some friends to Rift and play without a sub commitment or a swtor-esque joke model

Originally posted by evilastro
    Not surprised. With the quality of F2P competition out there now, I don't think any game can really compete without adapting. WoW will probably go F2P when it dips to 5 million.

Of course games can compete.  people will pay the sub if the game warrants it.  There are still TONs of sub payers out there playing lotro, eq2, TERA, whatever.  There is a very large group of people that prefer subs.  EvE isnt having any issues, is it?  

Originally posted by darkheart84

I don't get why people are saying "People prefer good games than F2P games, example is WoW"

FYI, WoW lost around 2 million subs in the past couple of months and it continues decreasing. It is a game that lives on its initial success and a population that refuses to give it up due to the life they've already invested on it. The only reason they still have a substantial subscriber amount is due to their initially large numbers from the start. No P2P game has an ongoing increase in subs anymore.

The Asians have won.

Most of WoW's sub loss comes from a different region.

In terms of % drop, we dont know what the western drop really is but its almost certainly less than 10% which really isnt cause for alarm.  7-9 year old game declines 20% over 3 years...not a big deal.

Originally posted by MadnessRealm

Well if it was a success it wouldn't need to go f2p. They assured the playerbase time and again it wouldn't go f2p just before SL went live. Unfortunately SL was a - at best mediocre expansion that didn't really add to the game in terms of gameplay. Although the main feature of the expansion was the dimensions, it was a bit of a white elephant since it was very limited. The two continents were quite frankly dull to look at, annoying to travel around and after playing GW2, the quest system was something that made my heart sink everytime I was told to kill and fetch x number of items. It simply wasn't good enough to be a P2P game and when you compare it to GW2 and the payment method, it is probably hard to justify the sub.

• observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685

Nice digs at Swtor.

"Anyone who has ever subscribed to RIFT in the past will have access to the full suite of features that they have had.  We are not taking any bag slots or bank slots from folks that were or are subscribers - in other words their Veteran accounts won't be subject to the limitations of a brand new free account."

and

"and no we are not jacking up the exp curve for free players or penalizing them."

• flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454
    I so called this!   I remember trying Rift about one year ago during a Steam sale and said it was a solid game but not worth a sub.  I told everyone I might come back when it went free to play and I got so much hate about that.  LOL.