Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is the Nvdia 660 TI the best in it's price range?

ArakaziArakazi Member UncommonPosts: 911
My graphic card has melted, therefore I have no choice but to get a new one. I was going to hold out till next year, but obviously that is no longer an option. So what is the best card I can buy for between £230 - £250 price range. I've had a tentative look around and it seems that the 660TI is the best.

Comments

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    No

It's the worst pixel per buck going.

At the high end the 680gtx is good value though.

But price / performance the 660ti comes lowest of all the cards around it.

E.g.660, 670, 7850, 7870, 7950
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,351

The GeForce GTX 660 Ti is the only current generation card in the $100-$400 price range that is nearly always a bad value for the money.  I actually saw one on New Egg yesterday that was decent, but that was an unusual discount.

The basic problem is that you can nearly always get a far superior Radeon HD 7950 Boost for about the same price.  The real reason for this is that the GeForce GTX 660 Ti is a low bin that not very many chips go into, so Nvidia doesn't have to price them reasonably to clear inventory.

Anyway, you're quoting prices in pounds, so I'll assume you're in Britain.  In that case, I'd go with this:

http://www.ebuyer.com/483268-his-7950-iceq-boost-clock-3gb-gddr5-pci-e-dvi-hdmi-2xmini-dp-h795qc3g2m

Oh didn't realise op was from Britain

In that case AMD all the way on a gpu. ALL nvidias are massively overpriced in the UK.

I got a factory clocked 7950 for Less than a 660ti, only slightly more than a 660gtx and the thing benches faster than a 670gtx (because its not a stock one its one if the new factory clocked ones)

Intel cpu / amd gpu is definetly the way to go for a high end pc in the UK.
    I got mine for £210 by the way, but a sapphire boost one not a his.

His, sapphire, asus, gigabyte, msi, powercolor are the ones to look at.

Other good sites are dabs and ccl in the UK.
  • MibletMiblet Member Posts: 333

I would agree that you'd get far better bang for your buck with AMD in the UK.

As ShakeyMo said, Intel CPU, AMD GPU.

PhysX isn't going to be used for anything other than graphical flair any time soon (NVidia has that stranglehold too tight and companies won't alienate a large portion of the game's audience by catering to one GPU brand at the exclusion of another).

• VorchVorch Member UncommonPosts: 793

7850 or 7870 at that gfx tier.

Or if you wanna spend 325 USD (about 250 pounds), try the 7950.

"As you read these words, a release is seven days or less away or has just happened within the last seven days— those are now the only two states you’ll find the world of Tyria."...Guild Wars 2

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,351
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    I got mine for £210 by the way, but a sapphire boost one not a his.

His, sapphire, asus, gigabyte, msi, powercolor are the ones to look at.

Other good sites are dabs and ccl in the UK.

I only checked Ebuyer, so if other sites happen to have a better deal today, I wouldn't have caught it.

Ebuyer is usually the cheapest, if I was just buying a single component they are fine.

If I was buying like a motherboard with cpu and RAM bundle, I would probably go ccl, as they typically use better components and configure the bios properly.