Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What the promos don't tell you about Neverwinter

FlynnQFlynnQ Member Posts: 11

First, let me say this is a finely crafted game. There have been too many server crashes for it to be ready for prime time--but the game is well polished. However ...

... and there's usually a however ...

The mall is possibly the most expensive in the gaming industry! I purchased $100 of Zen, and used it up in eight days! You see, the potions are not strong enough to heal you when you are in trouble--and you have to wait 12 seconds to use another potion. Instead of potions you can use a Greater Stone of Health--it heals you fully, no matter how many health points you need. And here's the however: The only way to get this Stone of Health is to buy it with Zen, and you buy Zen with $$$$. So, a 200 heal Stone costs about $30! You often use this stone several times in a single battle--do the math!

There are two kinds of game players. Those who start the game and automatically figure out how everything works. Or, you may be like me. I prefer a manual of sorts where I can learn as I need. There is no manual!

So, I go to the auction house and bid on enough Zen to buy a Stone of Health. Success..my bid is accepted. But, the Zen do not appear in my inventory. Nor in my bank. Nor is there mail with Zen attached. Nor is it available in their External website where Zen moves from one Cryptic game to another. So, I send an email to Customer Support--two days dago. They say they will respond within four days--ah well.

It's reached the point where I can't play without Zen. I am certainly not going to drop $100-200 a month to keep me supplied in Stone of Healths, and I have to wait for Customer Support.

I accept I'm not the best MMO player--but I am experienced (started with UO) and I can list game acronyms by the dozen--yet I keep bumping into a wall. I have to wait until I hear from Support. Frankly, after that Stone is finished I suspect I will be looking around for something a little easier for a dummy like me.

Comments

• SirmakiSirmaki Member UncommonPosts: 118

Seriously? My main is a level 23 Rogue and still using the minor healing pots, building a nice stockpile of Lights. If you are dying so much, then you need reevaluate how you are playing, your gear etc.

Especially given how many people are saying the game is too easy, they never died until they were 40+ etc.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.
  • simsalabim77simsalabim77 Member RarePosts: 1,607
    I'm not sure what to tell you. I got to 60 on a TR without buying a single thing from the cash shop. Plenty of others have done the same thing on every single class. People are running T2 epic dungeons without sending a dime, so I'm going to have to say this is mainly a L2P issue. 
  • StrommStromm Member Posts: 243
    Originally posted by waynejr2
    [mod edit]
    [mod edit]

@OP:

Find a healer friend and play as a team would be my advice. The health stone thing is a cost of soloing by the sound of it.

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.

• I really don't like feeling the need to say this but I have to agree with the above posters that you are doing it wrong. Also you can buy zen with astral diamonds. Spending cash is no where near a necessity and is actually the most optional of any f2p model I've seen.

They've given complete access to all content without spending a dime. What more could you reasonably ask for?

• bound4hadesbound4hades Member UncommonPosts: 83
    Originally posted by Mtibbs1989
    Originally posted by Stromm
    [mod edit]
    [mod edit]

@OP:

Find a healer friend and play as a team would be my advice. The health stone thing is a cost of soloing by the sound of it.

[mod edit] He's probably spec'd full damage which isn't a problem. However when my character has more HP than any other character in the game and is being healed for almost 50% of it's life in a single potion I believe that the OP is incorrectly informing forum goers on exactly what's happening with him in-game.

Maybe he doesn't play at the same lvl of play as you? Some people have to work harder to achieve the same as others.

Originally posted by bound4hades
    [mod edit]
    [mod edit]

@OP:

[mod edit] He's probably spec'd full damage which isn't a problem. However when my character has more HP than any other character in the game and is being healed for almost 50% of it's life in a single potion I believe that the OP is incorrectly informing forum goers on exactly what's happening with him in-game.

Maybe he doesn't play at the same lvl of play as you? Some people have to work harder to achieve the same as others.

Except he's not working harder at it. He's throwing his hands in the air after getting stomped and proclaiming that the only way to progress is to spend money, which is completely false. 

• danwest58danwest58 Member RarePosts: 2,012
    [mod edit]
    [mod edit]

@OP:

Actually Mtibbs he is informing people quite well and honestly.  [mod edit] The OP is right that this game's Mall is one of the most expensive in the business.  Come on tell me I am wrong.  They are charging you what $40 for a mount for christ sakes.  $200 for the game and a Drizzit look a like.  Its a Joke, the only reason I am watching this game is because my Wife wants to play it because its F2P and for her 3 hours a week of free time she wants to go on the cheap side.  However She looks at the mall and LOL because these developers are insane.  The OP is 100% correct, its an expensive way to do business and very risky its keeping a lot of people a way who would be willing to pay for a subscript or even spend a little money in the cash shop.  However not $40 for a mount.  $10 for a Bag. [mod edit]

Originally posted by danwest58
    [mod edit]
    [mod edit]

@OP:

[mod edit]. He's probably spec'd full damage which isn't a problem. However when my character has more HP than any other character in the game and is being healed for almost 50% of it's life in a single potion I believe that the OP is incorrectly informing forum goers on exactly what's happening with him in-game.

Actually Mtibbs he is informing people quite well and honestly. [mod edit]  The OP is right that this game's Mall is one of the most expensive in the business.  Come on tell me I am wrong.  They are charging you what $40 for a mount for christ sakes.  $200 for the game and a Drizzit look a like.  Its a Joke, the only reason I am watching this game is because my Wife wants to play it because its F2P and for her 3 hours a week of free time she wants to go on the cheap side.  However She looks at the mall and LOL because these developers are insane.  The OP is 100% correct, its an expensive way to do business and very risky its keeping a lot of people a way who would be willing to pay for a subscript or even spend a little money in the cash shop.  However not $40 for a mount.  $10 for a Bag.  [mod edit]

The problem is only half of what he's saying is true. It's true that the cash shop is ridiculously overpriced, but you can get through the entire game, and do all the endgame content without spending a single cent in the cash shop. 

[mod edit]
    [mod edit]

@OP:

[mod edit]. He's probably spec'd full damage which isn't a problem. However when my character has more HP than any other character in the game and is being healed for almost 50% of it's life in a single potion I believe that the OP is incorrectly informing forum goers on exactly what's happening with him in-game.

Well there's many things that help assist a player through the process of leveling within Neverwinter. You have potions, you have the option of the health stones, and you have healer or tank companions to assist you, you even have dodge skills or block skills to completely avoid damage. While I know people don't play the game at the rate in which I play. This doesn't mean that they don't have many ways to negate the damage that the OP is taking.

That might be the case, but he maybe doesn't know or understand yet and your being kind of ridiculous about it. It's not time to be a jerk, try mentoring.

• BanquettoBanquetto Member UncommonPosts: 1,037

Originally posted by waynejr2 [mod edit]
    [mod edit]

He said he spent ~$100, he also said he enjoys the game. The way the pricing works out for him he would need to spend more than he wants to.

But "spending more than he wants to" is not the only option. [mod edit]

[mod edit]
    [mod edit]

@OP:

Actually Mtibbs he is informing people quite well and honestly. [mod edit]  The OP is right that this game's Mall is one of the most expensive in the business.  Come on tell me I am wrong.  They are charging you what $40 for a mount for christ sakes.  $200 for the game and a Drizzit look a like.  Its a Joke, the only reason I am watching this game is because my Wife wants to play it because its F2P and for her 3 hours a week of free time she wants to go on the cheap side.  However She looks at the mall and LOL because these developers are insane.  The OP is 100% correct, its an expensive way to do business and very risky its keeping a lot of people a way who would be willing to pay for a subscript or even spend a little money in the cash shop.  However not $40 for a mount.  $10 for a Bag. [mod edit]

[mod edit] I understand completely that the founders pack costs $200 dollars; but you're also ignoring the spider mount and the AD that comes with it in addition to the renegade drow. 

[mod edit] The mounts in the beginning of the game for people who don't want to spend $40.00 only cost 5 gold. These mounts only cost ~3,000,000 AD to upgrade which isn't hard to achieve if you're actively playing the game and constantly putting items on the market. Many of my friends and myself included have raised a significant amount of AD to be able to achieve our mounts. In addition, while the mounts are a convenience. I never really used my mount through the majority of the game anyways. Mainly because the quests were very short distance from one another and only took a moment or two to run between each point.

If you want to pay for the convenience in which the cash shop is. Yes, expect to pay a large sum of money. However, none of it is required or even necessary throughout your journey in the game. [mod edit] There's no point or need during your time within the game to be forced into paying for the health stones.

If your comparing it to P2W games, its on par, but as for many other F2P  games, it's way more expensive.

• VyethVyeth Member UncommonPosts: 1,461

Heh.. I would never use Zen to buy pots... .. Ever...

Being that this is an "action" game, pot spam isn't always entirely necessary.. You have the ability to actually "bob and weave" incoming attacks to prevent some damage from even happening.. If they allowed us to spam pots as well as dodge/block attacks it would be faceroll hence the timer.. Which 12 secs if you are in trouble isn't all that long since the dodge has a shorter CD and the block can be near limitless on a GF..

Just wouldn't seem worth it..

• AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,006
    Why not farm AD for zen instead of wasting money.

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

[mod edit]
    [mod edit]

@OP:

Actually Mtibbs he is informing people quite well and honestly. [mod edit]  The OP is right that this game's Mall is one of the most expensive in the business.  Come on tell me I am wrong.  They are charging you what $40 for a mount for christ sakes.  $200 for the game and a Drizzit look a like.  Its a Joke, the only reason I am watching this game is because my Wife wants to play it because its F2P and for her 3 hours a week of free time she wants to go on the cheap side.  However She looks at the mall and LOL because these developers are insane.  The OP is 100% correct, its an expensive way to do business and very risky its keeping a lot of people a way who would be willing to pay for a subscript or even spend a little money in the cash shop.  However not $40 for a mount.  $10 for a Bag.  [mod edit]

[mod edit] I understand completely that the founders pack costs $200 dollars; but you're also ignoring the spider mount and the AD that comes with it in addition to the renegade drow. 

[mod edit]. The mounts in the beginning of the game for people who don't want to spend $40.00 only cost 5 gold. These mounts only cost ~3,000,000 AD to upgrade which isn't hard to achieve if you're actively playing the game and constantly putting items on the market. Many of my friends and myself included have raised a significant amount of AD to be able to achieve our mounts. In addition, while the mounts are a convenience. I never really used my mount through the majority of the game anyways. Mainly because the quests were very short distance from one another and only took a moment or two to run between each point.

If you want to pay for the convenience in which the cash shop is. Yes, expect to pay a large sum of money. However, none of it is required or even necessary throughout your journey in the game. [mod edit] There's no point or need during your time within the game to be forced into paying for the health stones.

If your comparing it to P2W games, its on par, but as for many other F2P  games, it's way more expensive.

[mod edit] If you have no control over your spending habits you're in for a major wake-up call in F2P games. They're designed to for impulse buying and Neverwinter does this poorly. The content is excessively easy, the mounts are not remotely close to being needed for travel, exp boosters and loot boosters aren't even needed because of the insane drop rate within the game. Even the end game progression is significantly easier to play than most F2P titles. It requires no investment for the cash shop. I personally believe Cryptic failed in producing a proper cash shop to meet the style of the game.

[mod edit]. I can't argue if Neverwinter does it well or not, but I can argue the amount it charges. It's in the game and people will buy them. Even if it's easy to obtain, some because it's just easier, others because they don't get it. I'm glad your getting around the system and not having to spend a lot, [mod edit]

[mod edit]
    [mod edit]

@OP:

Well there's many things that help assist a player through the process of leveling within Neverwinter. You have potions, you have the option of the health stones, and you have healer or tank companions to assist you, you even have dodge skills or block skills to completely avoid damage. While I know people don't play the game at the rate in which I play. This doesn't mean that they don't have many ways to negate the damage that the OP is taking.

That might be the case, but he maybe doesn't know or understand yet and your being kind of ridiculous about it. It's not time to be a jerk, try mentoring.

I'm not going to try to mentor a person who's only thought of fixing their issue is throwing money at the problem. However, I believe I've given enough info in my posts and even my own thread that state that the game requires no money investment within the game.

Again, you just don't get it. He may not be as good as you and his only answer to this point is to spend money. Now I hope he has read what you've said to this point and he stops spending money and does well. Not everyone is as good as you and you need to realize that. You just clump this guy into the lazy category and don't give the benefit of the doubt.

• PanzerbasePanzerbase Member Posts: 423
    Maybe spec into some self healing build instead of OMG BIG NUMBER build? I'm 40 and have never had one need for a bought health stone, I have 200 or so game dropped pots lying around even after the ones I used. [mod edit]
  • wordizwordiz Member Posts: 464

I've spent 30 bucks. 20 for some bag/bank space and crap, another 10 for a respec once I had things figured out. I see no reason to spend any money any time soon. People say you need to spend money on enchantments later, but they aren't that expensive in the auction so I'll just buy them in there no problem. If it gets to crazy of a grind to get major enchantments I just won't get them. I haven't even slotted my enchantments yet and I have good enough gear to run the highest dungeon. Maybe if they add some cool cosmetic stuff that isn't so taxed, and bring the prices down on mounts I'd buy one, but for now I'm doing just fine. Minor benefit in PVP/PVE to having a faster mount. 

My biggest complaints with the game is the lazy community (doing afk pvp glory farming, running just enough to farm gear, never downing bosses unless they can just rush the boss and ignore the adds. If there are too many adds, people will just wipe and leave), the trolls and the ninja looters, but this isn't a problem with the game, it's a problem with society.