Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The problem with MMO's like Neverwinter...

xKopogeroxxKopogerox Member Posts: 68

I got the feeling if I commit I'll end up stuck at endgame with nothing to do due to lack of content. On top the way it's headed with big raids and 5v5 I'll be depending on a community, which will limit me when and how much I can enjoy it.

It's been proven in the past that themepark designed MMORPG's without big revenue cannot maintain a steady content and endgame features.

Starcraft oldschool aka wise/04. SWG/UO aka Wise HeRo, Light Jedi Knight pre-cu (Bria)

Comments

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593
    Originally posted by xKopogerox

I got the feeling if I commit I'll end up stuck at endgame with nothing to do due to lack of content. On top the way it's headed with big raids and 5v5 I'll be depending on a community, which will limit me when and how much I can enjoy it.

It's been proven in the past that themepark designed MMORPG's without big revenue cannot maintain a steady content and endgame features.

ThemeParks cannot maintain a steady content, period. WoW is the only one that has, it is simply a flawed model for a sustained MMO and that is why virtually every MMO, again except WoW, have seen declining subs unless they give the game away and go F2P.

• DivonaDivona Member UncommonPosts: 189
    Originally posted by Yamota

ThemeParks cannot maintain a steady content, period. WoW is the only one that has, it is simply a flawed model for a sustained MMO and that is why virtually every MMO, again except WoW, have seen declining subs unless they give the game away and go F2P.

WoW too, is losing subs.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/shortcuts/2013/may/09/world-of-warcraft-losing-battle-subscribers

• DibdabsDibdabs Member RarePosts: 3,203
    Everyone seems to worry about endgame in every mmorpg on the market.  Why not just try it, have fun, and if you don't like it you've lost nothing at all.
  • simsalabim77simsalabim77 Member RarePosts: 1,607
    If you commit? Commit what exactly? It's a F2P game. If you run out of content or stop having fun, then stop playing. Not like you're shackled to the game because you spent 'x' amount of time playing it already. 
  • SoulStainSoulStain Member Posts: 202
    I hate end-game in mmos..the raids and pvp that is expected to keep us entertained forever. An mmo's endgame for me is usually going to play different mmo.
  • kizan0601kizan0601 Member UncommonPosts: 61

Eq1 has put out more content then WoW and Eq2 has put out just as much as WoW so no its not the only one that can.

• MadDemon64MadDemon64 Member UncommonPosts: 1,102

And that my friend is why the Foundry exists, to prevent a lack of endgame content.  Most foundry missions are worse than dev created missions, but there are quite a few that are vastly superior.

As long as the Foundry exists and people have creative ideas for missions, you will never run out of things to do in Neverwinter (hopefully, anyway).

Since when is Tuesday a direction?

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    Actually I feel like wow is lacking in the content. Only because they do the same type of content over and over. I can understand it because people are hooked on their system and they don't want to rock the boat so to speak. Games like SOE ones are far more innovative because they're constantly trying to lure people back or bring in new blood. Being on top often stagnates innovation.

It's the same thing Apple goes through. They don't want to deviate too far from their proven formula just to have it backfire and lose their core consumer base.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

The problem with MMOs like Neverwinter is that Neverwinter wasn't an MMO until Perfect World took over. Cryptic did not design or advertise the game as an MMO.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• Slappy1Slappy1 Member Posts: 458
    This is where the foundry comes into play.There's already some good quest's there and I imagine it's only going to get better and better.Plus I don't think the game just stops here.Why would they not expand on the game?We probably have much content coming.

Some day I'm going to put a sword through your eye and out the back of your skull!

Arya Stark

• sexypanda198sexypanda198 Member Posts: 151
    Originally posted by simsalabim77
    If you commit? Commit what exactly? It's a F2P game. If you run out of content or stop having fun, then stop playing. Not like you're shackled to the game because you spent 'x' amount of time playing it already. 

Exactly so very true. Free to play so you lose zero. That is like someone offering free meal then complaining expecting something for the bad taste in your mouth. IT IS FREE suck it up and move on. If you dont pay money then dont expect the right to whine like baby.

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297

Just approach it differently.. as in don't commit (as you put it). I think you mean spend money on it? Just don't do that until you know. I've said a few times on threads here that I will only put some money into this game when I see what kind of updates and additional content we are going to get. So far the only updates I've seen are to the cash shop.. for a game that is apparently a beta and needs finishing, I'm wondering why they are wasting resources on making more cash shop items when they could be helping to get the promised extra classes and paragon paths finished quicker with those resources (I obviously know exactly why they are doing this and wish they wouldn't). Or adding some much much MUCH needed variety into the armor and weapon skins.

I don't class bug fixes as an 'update' btw, by update I mean features or content.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • MaelwyddMaelwydd Member Posts: 1,123
    The problem with games today is players like the OP. Games are to have fun, to relax, enjoy a story, meet people and generally do things that games are for. All this 'end game' shit and the whole PvP'ers moaning about pay to win is the problem. Just play the damn game and have fun and if you can't just leave!
  • sexypanda198sexypanda198 Member Posts: 151
    Originally posted by Maelwydd
    The problem with games today is players like the OP. Games are to have fun, to relax, enjoy a story, meet people and generally do things that games are for. All this 'end game' shit and the whole PvP'ers moaning about pay to win is the problem. Just play the damn game and have fun and if you can't just leave!

agreed

^^^Agreed,some of us actually get it,I kinda feel sorry for those that don't.

Some day I'm going to put a sword through your eye and out the back of your skull!

Arya Stark

Originally posted by sexypanda198

Exactly so very true. Free to play so you lose zero. That is like someone offering free meal then complaining expecting something for the bad taste in your mouth. IT IS FREE suck it up and move on. If you dont pay money then dont expect the right to whine like baby.

You ever heard of time?

If you committed time to a game which turned out to be garbage then you have every right to complain. I am pretty sure it is part of the whole free speech thing and to my knowledge you dont need to spend a dime to use it.

What you are describing is casual gaming. Not everyone is a casual gamer.

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    Originally posted by Dibdabs
    Everyone seems to worry about endgame in every mmorpg on the market.  Why not just try it, have fun, and if you don't like it you've lost nothing at all.

It's so sad how true this is. Most people can't even last 2 months in an mmo now days regardless of what there is to do...so why are they so worried about something they're never going to focus on anyway.

You ever heard of time?

If you committed time to a game which turned out to be garbage then you have every right to complain. I am pretty sure it is part of the whole free speech thing and to my knowledge you dont need to spend a dime to use it.

I can see where you're coming from,but really?Isn't it the same as complaining to a tv network that you're not satisfied with the way a program turned out?Sure you can complain,but why?Different result's happen,that's just the way it goes.

Arya Stark

• simsalabim77simsalabim77 Member RarePosts: 1,607

So casual gaming is for people who want to have fun, relax, and generally treat a game as a form of entertainment? To me that sounds like a person of sound mind. What are the traits that define a non-casual player? 

You ever heard of time?

It's not even about time. If someone gives you a free burger but it tastes like crap.. are you expected to say there's nothing wrong with it just because it was free? If it's crap, it's crap.. free or not.

I like NW btw.. so don't misinterpret that as a bash on the game. Just making a point. 

• DrakynnDrakynn Member Posts: 2,030
    Originally posted by kizan0601

Eq1 has put out more content then WoW and Eq2 has put out just as much as WoW so no its not the only one that can.

Trion Worlds too has put out a lot of varied content for Rift.

• DrakynnDrakynn Member Posts: 2,030

So casual gaming is for people who want to have fun, relax, and generally treat a game as a form of entertainment? To me that sounds like a person of sound mind. What are the traits that define a non-casual player? 

I'm a Hardcore gamer I believe and you know what?I game for fun maybe not always relaxation but if a game is not fun why would I play it?I have in the past played MMOs longer than I've enjoyed them but due to the people I was gaming with not the game.

• austriacusaustriacus Member UncommonPosts: 618

You ever heard of time?

While i agree with you, this two words are not true. USA consitution doesnt apply to the internet(not USA soil), anyone is free to censor you :P

Someone who likes to have fun in competitive situations... much like playing sports. Your way is not the only way to have fun so please forgive others for not being holier than thou.