Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Gameless

GrievousXiGrievousXi Member UncommonPosts: 14
How bad is the mmorpg market when there's 10x the amount of mmo's out there now compared to 10 years ago, but none you want to give your money to? I used to be worried about keeping 2 game sub's going because there was only 24hrs in the day and I needed to work and sleep - now I'd give my paycheck for just one good mmo>< FYI "free to play" is really just gaming code for "pay to win" or "I suck"

Comments

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317
    Originally posted by bbucholz
    How bad is the mmorpg market when there's 10x the amount of mmo's out there now compared to 10 years ago, but none you want to give your money to? I used to be worried about keeping 2 game sub's going because there was only 24hrs in the day and I needed to work and sleep - now I'd give my paycheck for just one good mmo>< FYI "free to play" is really just gaming code for "pay to win" or "I suck"

go play WoW. problem solved

/end thread

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

• GrievousXiGrievousXi Member UncommonPosts: 14
    played it to death - I am one of 1.3 million to leave WoW this year. Awesome game when it was prime time
  • fariah033fariah033 Member UncommonPosts: 22
    I am in the same place as you. I have tried almost every mmo and beta  I could get into since  I quit wow I have so many games on my comp I should do a system restore lol!!!!! I cant find a game either :(
  • JacxolopeJacxolope Member UncommonPosts: 1,140

-Good luck.

Gameless myself as well. We have entered the MC"MMO" phase- No substance of longevity anymore.

There are a ton of MMOs which are fun for a month or three- But very little for long term.

I would recommend GW2 if you have not played (dont expect a deep or long term experience but its fun), maybe try Darkfall (not for me but it looks pretty deep and looks to be a game for a long term commitment- But is full loot PVP) or TSW (which I also didnt like but seems to be the best of the recent bunch)

Otherwise IDK. Its like "water water everywhere and not a drop to drink)- And "F2P" looks to be the new model which is further eroding the hobby imho.

• fariah033fariah033 Member UncommonPosts: 22
    Oh I quit 3 months ago
  • filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906

Age of Wushu is hard to get into but worth it.

Aion has tons of content but takes quite a bit of grind.

Atlantica was surprisingly fun but once you reach lvl 90 you gotta buy tokens for exp.

Gates of Andaron looks good for pvp.

Aurora World in beta phase looks promising.

Arcane Saga in beta phase looks promising as well.

League of Legends is MMO and kept my attention for over a year.

Tera is definitely worth getting into as well.

Rift

Are you onto something or just on something?
  • I really wish I had an answer for the OP.

My hard drive has had more johns come and go than the neighborhood corner worker. Annually subscribed to Age of Conan but I've milked that cow for all it's worth. If you haven't yet, there's a ton of content for you there. Unfortunately I have 8 max level characters and can't find the motivation to log in anymore. 

In the past ten days I've downloaded for first time, or a return attempt, the following: Age of Wushu, Darkfall Unholy Wars, Dungeons & Dragons Online, Dragon's Prophet (beta), Ragnarok Online 2 (beta), RaiderZ, The Lord of the Rings Online, Vanguard Saga of Heroes, Neverwinter. 

Neverwinter needs a few months of tweaking in a few areas before I will be able to take it seriously.

Dragon's Prophet looks very promising in the graphics and action combat departments. I have no idea how much content is planned for it, and I don't wish to play it much in beta and get burned out before launch.  

As of now I am looking forward to playing Dragon's Prophet and Neverwinter in the future.  Everything else I mentioned is subject to removal from my computer as needed for hard drive space. 

I've previously tried and have no current desire to return to the following: Aion, Anarchy Online, APB, DCUO, EQ, EQ2, Fallen Earth, Final Fantasy XI, Global Agenda, Guild Wars, GW2, Pirate 101, Pirates of the Burning Sea, Planetside 2, Rift, Runes of Magic, Soul of the Ultimate Nation, Star Trek Online, Star Wars TOR, Tera, The Secret World, Warhammer, World of Tanks, World of Warcraft. Plus a dozen or two that weren't worth remembering/mentioning. 

If anyone thinks I have missed out on anything I have not listed, please mention it. And I have no interest to try Eve, we can skip that suggestion.

• GrievousXiGrievousXi Member UncommonPosts: 14

Not that I have anything against this new action model, but I just can't get into it. I'm not a gamer that likes pounding buttons and seeing all sorts of stuff blowing up on the screen. I'm more of an auto attack/ with abilities, pen and paper, stat driven style player. I also like the huge, wide open world concept - not the mouse in a maze, follow this path model. These new mmo's are balancing everything so that every class can tank/heal and do damage.  Syndrome from the Incredibles has a quote I feel hits the nail on the head regarding this kind of balancing "...Everyone can be super! ...and when everyone's super, no one will be"

I remember camping the pridelord with my WoW hunter because he was better than a normal lion pet. I remember getting the first 3 teleport scrolls in FFXI as white mage in the first year of the game (training mobs to the zone line was a common practice lol). Rift I thought almost had it. Right at launch they were just a little un-balanced by having the start of an evasion tank, unique dps and solo class...but then they went and balanced everything.

I keep reading that game manufacturers are saying the pay model is dead. I disagree. I think the real mmorpg is what's dead. Nobody wants to sink money and time into a real world, real economy, un-balanced classes and crafting mmorpg because that's a lot of work. It's all about quick turn around cash now.

My PayPal account that i auto-deposit money into for mmo sub's is getting real large now - maybe I'll go buy a boat or something lol. Happy hunting everyone, hope you all find your next mmo. Peace

• renstarensta Member RarePosts: 728

I have been jumping mmos for the past 3-4 years... cant seem to play anything more then a 2-3 months..... 

I guess il play skyrim again as a dagger mage or something/......

Basically clicking away text windows ruins every MMO, try to have fun instead of rushing things. Without story and lore all there is left is a bunch of mechanics.
    Add Multi-Quote

• Luffy4lifeLuffy4life Member Posts: 74

I started the secret world at release, quit a month in... Now im back into the game (buy to play just 1 time deal for game) and im fucking loving it. Coming from Rift its such a nice change, its more mature, darker, loads of profanity, i would definitely give it a try.

And dont be concerned with low population, im on the 2nd highest pop server i think of just 3 servers and i never have any issues finding groups!

What i love about this game is, while yes it takes awhile, you can max out all the weapons and abilities and really play as any spec you want whenever you want. So its far better then a system like rift where you have different roles, because you can play as any weapon class you want and still perform just as beastly as any other.

Definitely give The Secret World a try.

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690
    Op I agree with what you are trying to say and totally agree with you but mmo players have to expand their gaming tastes if they want to continue liking their hobby. MMOs today are such bad quality and it is disappointing. My advice is trying learning to love single player rpgs like Mass Effect series, Skyrim and The Witcher just to name a few. For me I have a PS3 and I love playing games on a console such as Dark Souls, Dragon Age and Dust 514. Just try to get into different things until you find the mmo that suites your needs. I probably will not be playing any mmos until Shroud of the Avatar and Blizzard's new mmo. So in the mean time I will not be wasting my free time on craptastic mmos, instead I'll be hitting up some great console titles.
  • Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    I haven't had a good mmorpg to play in years. I've tried a lot of different mmo's but they're all craptastic clones of WoW, or a poor attempt at copying it. It is sad there's nothing good and original out there to play atm. I don't see anything coming along this year either that's going to be worth playing, sadly.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• mari3kmari3k Member Posts: 135

Well, that days I jump between this games:

GW2 : It has a great combat system , but lacks of depth. PvE is fun and challenging but always the same and WvW feels some kind of pointless. I dont like it that you have almost all skills at the start, I like to get skills while I level up, so I have to look forward for end game.  

TSW: Really the best storytelling I ever saw in an mmo. However the combat system is a bad that I want to cry. Also no dungeon finder makes  hard to find groups.

Defiance: Great action and good grafics. With the "dungeon finder" you even get fast coop and pvp action. Story is some kind of lame. My biggest problem, game is not really a rpg, no real char progression. 

WOW: Still a great game, but I played it to long. Old grafics. And Im not willing to pay subs anymore. However I still buy all new expantions and play 1-2 month after that.

I mostly play single player games now. Try Fallen Enchantress, it great if you like turn based games.

Step in the arena and break the wall down

• furbansfurbans Member UncommonPosts: 968

Going back to the old school games like Baler's Gate series, Icewind Dale series, prolly get back to Heroes VI while waiting ofr some promising MMOs coming out later this year.  Been a few years since I've been really invested and enjoying a good MMO.  Last was WoW during Wrath, been looking for a new solid MMO home since then.

GoG.com (good old games) is a great place to get some of those old nostalgic classics at a reasonable price.

• CayllCayll Member UncommonPosts: 55

I was in a similar predicament for a while. Then I hooked up with this great multi-game community, and have been playing Planetside 2 and Mech Warrior Online with them.

I think what is missing with so many games out these days is a community. You may have started playing a game because it looked cool, but you usually stick around because of the people. With people so spread out and with so many games to choose from, it really damages the human aspect.

I think if you all found a good group of people to play with, you might find some more longevity to these games.

Anyway, here is the community that I run with if you all want to check it out:

www.taw.net

They are really good people, around 2500 members that vary of 25+ games, so there might be something for you in there.

Hope you all find what you are looking for,

Cayll

• DrakynnDrakynn Member Posts: 2,030

I was in your position a few years ago.I once had the need to be in some MMORPG because I had always been subbed to one for the last 8 years or so.

However overcoming that urge and not needing to be playing a MMORPG unless I'm really enjoying it has been liberating and I love having more time for other things.So unless a truly gripping MMORPG comes along for me personally.I'm just as happy doing other things now.

• bnxbanditbnxbandit Member Posts: 23

VastoHorde

I really appreciate you still wanting to give Lineage 2 a chance. I have read most of your posts about Lineage 2 and the Lindvior update. Really hard to see someone that actually still cares for a misunderstood mmo. I guess just people really don't like the classic grind. 

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    Originally posted by bnxbandit

VastoHorde

I really appreciate you still wanting to give Lineage 2 a chance. I have read most of your posts about Lineage 2 and the Lindvior update. Really hard to see someone that actually still cares for a misunderstood mmo. I guess just people really don't like the classic grind. 

The newer mmos just cant compare to the older mmos. If you have played 1 quest based themepark you have played them all.

• PhoenixC13PhoenixC13 Member UncommonPosts: 119
    I would recommend LoL (League of Legends) and the MMORPG that I enjoy is EQ2.  Past that none have held my attention in a few years.

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    Originally posted by PhoenixC13
    I would recommend LoL (League of Legends) and the MMORPG that I enjoy is EQ2.  Past that none have held my attention in a few years.

Everquest 2 also gets my vote. The only western mmo that I really enjoyed.

• aspekxaspekx Member UncommonPosts: 2,167

EQ2 is pretty in depth with tons'o'content.

Vanguard might be fun for you for more old school fun.

DCUO has the best action combat ive found and im not a fan of that style really.

a while back i burned out on mmo's as well, then i moved to Skyrim and mods out the wazoo.

then i even grew tired of that gaming, so i left gaming about 3 months ago. it was hard at first because having gamed so long it was a habit to simply reach for the computer and game, but i found other things to purposefully replace that. really this is the only way to change anything from eating to gaming: you must replace it with something worthwhile or you will simply go back to doing what you are habitually used to.

now im back just today poking around Neverwinter. how long? no clue and fortunately i no longer care :) when it hits a rough patch or somesuch i have other things i am used to doing now to fill that spot.

"There are at least two kinds of games.
    One could be called finite, the other infinite.
    A finite game is played for the purpose of winning,
    an infinite game for the purpose of continuing play."
    Finite and Infinite Games, James Carse

• Vion1xVion1x Member Posts: 188

OP: from your post and 1 of your reply's then it really sounds like Eve is what you're looking for.

That game is deep as hell and if you like to toy around with stats, dear god... that game...

I'm not playing it my self so its not just a "oh im playing it atm so its a great game" i havn't played it for a loong time, but imo then its the best game ever made, even tho i don't enjoy playing it :)

• SacriaSacria Member Posts: 53

I have the same problem. 

Wow: Played it too much, it's also tab targeting which sucks.. If the combat system/graphics were more like tera this would be the perfect game for me

Rift: Same as wow. 

Tera: Awesome game, beyond awesome. Gameplay wise it's great. However: No pve content with progression, you clear it in 1 hour after you get use to it which takes like idk 3 hours. The enchanting is pure bullshit rng and unbearable. which means you end up doing the endgame dungeon 2-5 times til you have all you want from there then you spent a couple of months farming to enchant. Also balance and support (especially in europe) is terrible.

Neverwinter/lotr/aion/tsw/eve etc just seem like a waste of time when you've tried the above

• xKatherinexKatherine Member Posts: 7

In other words: everything "new" is old and everything old is getting even older.

I know the feel though. I played Lineage for 2 years, then I switched to FlyFF (just to change style, stop paying monthly and I played it for a good 4 years) and now, 2 years have passed since I quit, and I still can't find the game that'll get my attention.

This weekend I played Grand Fantasia , but I probably won't stick since I got to lvl 36 in 10 hours of playing (of which 4 hours just randomly wandering around and exploring the areas). 

Between FlyFF and GF I played Eve, Neverwinter, WoW, GW2, LOTR, LoL, etc. None caught me for more than a couple of hours.

I think the gamers who now cannot find a game to play should just find something else to do. The mmorpg market has grown so big that every mmorpg has a low playerbase at some point and adding F2P to it makes a lot of people say "Yuck, never" even though this might be THE game.

The only thing you can do, if you want to keep gaming, is to keep trying every new mmo that comes out. Who knows, maybe one of them will be the game you are really looking for?