Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

Has TERA seen many players migrate to Darkfall Unhol Wars?

LustmordLustmord Mt. Gilead, OHPosts: 1,095Member Uncommon

I played TERA for a while, and I liked it. It was fun, but I always wished it would be more like Darkfall.

Now that Darkfall Unholy Wars is out, are people in TERA talking about it? Has anyone lost any guild members to Darkfall?

Is the TERA crowd interested in Darkfall at all?

 

I always thought Darkfall would get a big influx of TERA players, due to the action combat in an open world sandbox, without the gear grind.

Comments

  • ChrisboxChrisbox Monroe, NJPosts: 1,707Member Uncommon
    From what I understand, A lot of people who PvP'd In TERA like myself are now playing DFUW.  I know a lot of people in my clan played TERA as well, and probably would still be if the devs handled it properly.  

    Played-Everything
    Playing-FFXIV:ARR

  • LustmordLustmord Mt. Gilead, OHPosts: 1,095Member Uncommon

    Well, you gotta be fair to TERA and it's dev's. En Masse did a great job with the NA release. But the problems with TERA are in it's fundamental core, and En Masse couldn't do anything about it.

    If you want a theme park game, to dungeon grind and do BG's I absolutely recommend TERA over Wow or Rift or SWTOR.

    TERA has the most beautiful graphics I've seen in an MMO to date, and it's spells and classes are interesting.. it's a good game, for what it is, if you're into that kinda thing.

     

    But I think of TERA players because it's got that action combat, and TERA players were willing to pay a subscription when it came out, atleast for a few months.

    But Darkfall is a completely different experience that I really think TERA players would enjoy.

  • Rthuth434Rthuth434 uniondale, NYPosts: 346Member

    rofl. i wondered what game the DF fans would target for their shitposts. hey, message to everyone waiting on archeage, wildstar and TESO....don't try and downplay other games i order to validate yours. that worked sooo well for tera and tsw.

     

    ah, who am i kidding?

  • LustmordLustmord Mt. Gilead, OHPosts: 1,095Member Uncommon
    I dunno, who are you kidding?
  • LustmordLustmord Mt. Gilead, OHPosts: 1,095Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Rthuth434

    rofl. i wondered what game the DF fans would target for their shitposts. hey, message to everyone waiting on archeage, wildstar and TESO....don't try and downplay other games i order to validate yours. that worked sooo well for tera and tsw.

     

    ah, who am i kidding?

    Oh, I see. You're one of those guys who are always waiting for something..

    Please enjoy this music while you wait:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zc_dgbCHs58

    Listen to the lyrics, and think about your life.

  • ChrisboxChrisbox Monroe, NJPosts: 1,707Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Lustmord

    Well, you gotta be fair to TERA and it's dev's. En Masse did a great job with the NA release. But the problems with TERA are in it's fundamental core, and En Masse couldn't do anything about it.

    If you want a theme park game, to dungeon grind and do BG's I absolutely recommend TERA over Wow or Rift or SWTOR.

    TERA has the most beautiful graphics I've seen in an MMO to date, and it's spells and classes are interesting.. it's a good game, for what it is, if you're into that kinda thing.

     

    But I think of TERA players because it's got that action combat, and TERA players were willing to pay a subscription when it came out, atleast for a few months.

    But Darkfall is a completely different experience that I really think TERA players would enjoy.

    Thats the thing though, TERA could've Easily, and I mean easily been a fantastic PvP game.  

    Played-Everything
    Playing-FFXIV:ARR

  • SovrathSovrath Boston Area, MAPosts: 18,453Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Lustmord

     

    Is the TERA crowd interested in Darkfall at all?

    hmmm, well I'm not.

    I've played a lot of Tera but there's just nothing for me at "end game". I don't care to raid and raid and raid and pvp maps aren't that interesting to me.

    I do log in from time to time to level a character on the pvp server.

    I don't really like what I see of dark fall though I do like the general "gestalt" of dark fall. But I don't really have any interest in playing it.

  • TorvalTorval Oregon CountryPosts: 7,200Member Uncommon
    If Darkfall was a pve type of game I would play it.  I mostly play pve right now.
  • KyleranKyleran Tampa, FLPosts: 19,988Member Uncommon
    Not sure the word "many"applies when speaking about DF:UW. Some, Few, Several seem like more appropriate adjectives.

    And I'm sure some people who now play DF formerly played TERA, particularly if it was the action style combat that was the big draw for them.

    But the really major differences, such as real risk vs reward in PVP, the lack of focus on PVP, and the fact it isn't F2P probably means there hasn't been a major migration.

    Three biggest reason you are seeing former TERA players is most DF: UW folks didn't have much to play until it launched so they gave TERA, (and pretty much any game with PVP) a try.

    In my day MMORPG's were so hard we fought our way through dungeons in the snow, uphill both ways.
    "I don't have one life, I have many lives" - Grunty
    Still currently "subscribed" to EVE, and only EVE!!!
    "This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

  • iblapiblap new york, NYPosts: 2Member
    DF looks horrible graphics wise and design wise which is why i dont wanna play it
  • leoo88556leoo88556 TaipeiPosts: 135Member

    You think people who played Tera will be interested in DF? ...why? I played DF, tried DF:UW for a little while with my friend's account, and I think it's really weird to compare it with Tera since it's a totally different game.

    DF:UW is a pvp looting game with systems that can only be described as... dated, and I think it's deliberate! The whole game has this thick old school vibe. From the crafting system, material collecting, combat animation, graphics to the actual gameplay, everything reminds me of games 10 years ago... Don't get me wrong, I think this is actually a good thing for a small market game like this that require a strong, committed fan base since many players who love DF will definitely love this one, too. But Tera players? They are here for the great graphics, the gear grind and the awesome action combat! The only thing these two games have in common is non-tab targeting system, and obviously Tera still is the winner in this aspect.

    So... no :)

  • PivotelitePivotelite Hamilton, ONPosts: 2,167Member
    I was planning on buying DF:UW but then TERA released 3v3 arenas which kept me content for the time being so I didn't really feel the urge to spend money on DF:UW, also the downgrade in graphic quality/animation quality is very hard to overcome, especially when you go from the best in the genre to some of the worst.

    image

  • LustmordLustmord Mt. Gilead, OHPosts: 1,095Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by leoo88556

    You think people who played Tera will be interested in DF? ...why? I played DF, tried DF:UW for a little while with my friend's account, and I think it's really weird to compare it with Tera since it's a totally different game.

    DF:UW is a pvp looting game with systems that can only be described as... dated, and I think it's deliberate! The whole game has this thick old school vibe. From the crafting system, material collecting, combat animation, graphics to the actual gameplay, everything reminds me of games 10 years ago... Don't get me wrong, I think this is actually a good thing for a small market game like this that require a strong, committed fan base since many players who love DF will definitely love this one, too. But Tera players? They are here for the great graphics, the gear grind and the awesome action combat! The only thing these two games have in common is non-tab targeting system, and obviously Tera still is the winner in this aspect.

    So... no :)

     

    How is the crafting and gathering "So 10 years ago"?

    The act of crafting and gathering is the same as every other MMO, including TERA.. Except you can actually build cities and boats, and everything you wear is crafted.

     

    Also, the non-tab targetting system, Darkfall is the winner in that aspect, because they use actual projectiles that are effected by gravity, not just hit scans.

  • BrownAleBrownAle fantasyland, MEPosts: 399Member

    Ive played Tera twice now. once when It was p2p and for a month when it went f2p (mostly because they didn't forget I had paid for the game when it was p2p..and they got money for that respect they gave me..learn a lesson stwor)

    Its a fantasic looking game, no one can argue that.  It makes me wish that every time ive played that I didn't get bored to tears with the linear quest system and standing there farming mobs for kill counts just so I can move on and see new scenery.  When the scenery was so good I didn't want to leave...well theres no reason to kill anything without the quest and progression.

    I don't think you can compare DF and Tera.  Some people choose flash over substance.  Even if you are able to overlook the graphics the games play completely different in every single aspect its just pointless to compare.

    My only issue with games like tera, it attracts gamers who care more about graphics than anything else...and those people tend to be the least entertaining people to play with.

    Im sure at some point ill fire up tera again for a quick eye candy game session...personally I cant play games that are all flash and zero substance for very long...and the only reason I can do this game is the combat system keeps me entertained for a period of time.

     

    If they merged the look of TERA with DF mechanics and community and metagame...I would probably have a heart attack.  Wont happen...not enough money in full loot sandboxes for anyone to spend money on great graphics and effects.  I can dream though.

    In all honesty I think perhaps 10-100 people may have migrated back to DF from tera. DF is a very small game and its players are kind of attached to the game. I cant see more than a handful of DF players playing tera for any given point of time and cant see a tera player enjoying darkfall at all.

  • KareliaKarelia HeraklionPosts: 668Member
    i was playing TERA too, for about a month. nice game but thats all. me and all my friends and guild mates moved to RIFT and we are having great fun. i think that after todays start of f2p, many more will migrate to RIFT. we will see
  • Dreamo84Dreamo84 Niagara Falls, NYPosts: 3,437Member Uncommon
    How anyone could go from Tera combat to DFUW is beyond me.

    image
  • Bad.dogBad.dog Belleville, ONPosts: 1,108Member
    Originally posted by Fendel84M
    How anyone could go from Tera combat to DFUW is beyond me.

    They get older ....just want to hang out with a more mature crowd

  • DraemosDraemos Antartica, AKPosts: 1,469Member
    Originally posted by Bad.dog

    Originally posted by Fendel84M
    How anyone could go from Tera combat to DFUW is beyond me.

    They get older ....just want to hang out with a more mature crowd

     

    Tera's pve server communities make DF seem like a preschool, its a reallly solid community with an old school feel.

    Now the pvp servers... you might have a leg to stand on.
  • itchmonitchmon west islip, NYPosts: 1,714Member Uncommon

    i play  DF, i like tera and still play sometimes (i am  founder).  i like both games and im sure if i ever bore of DF (not that i am bored) i would play more tera im sure.

     

    itch

    RIP Ribbitribbitt you are missed, kid.

    Currently Playing EVE, DFUW

    Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and not clothed.

    Dwight D Eisenhower

    My optimism wears heavy boots and is loud.

    Henry Rollins

Sign In or Register to comment.