Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SimCity creator, Will Wright, speaks against DRM

NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

Will Wright, SimCity, and DRM

http://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2013/05/will-wright-simcity-and-drm/275710/

Will Wright: Games "falling way short" as a medium

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2013-05-04-will-wright-games-falling-way-short-as-a-medium

When the discussion turned to the launch of Sim City Online, Wright was quick to declare his first thought. "I feel bad for the team," Wright said. Beyond that, Wright had some definite opinions about the launch. "I could have predicted - I kind of did predict there'd be a big backlash about the DRM stuff. It's a good game; I enjoy playing it a lot." Still, Wright understands the audience response. "It was kind of like, 'EA is the evil empire, there was a lot of 'Let's bash EA over it,'" Wright said.

"That was basically inexcusable, that you charge somebody $60 for a game and they can't play it. I can understand the outrage. If I was a consumer buying the game and that happened to me, I'd feel the same."

Comments

• zwei2zwei2 Member Posts: 361
    Interesting, but not a new outrage. DRM has always been a bane for customers.  Especially in this fiber broadband era, companies will just say "You have no reason NOT to connect to the internet, so the DRM and whatever crap will stay".

The possibility of the universe collapsing into a singularity is higher than the birth of a perfect MMORPG.

• BarrikorBarrikor Member UncommonPosts: 373

Even though Maxis was owned by EA, they stayed awesome and user friendly with a good play experience, Will Wright leaves and suddenly EA takes the helm and everything gets worse. EA had the Maxis logo redone and taken off the box-copies of the games they make, and now Maxis is probably glad that the logo is hidden...

It's reasonable to wager that if Will Wright hadn't left Maxis then Sim City 5 would not have been a flop. He liked taking risks with new types of gameplay (Which EA seems to hate doing) but even trying new things he always delivered on giving the players a good experience, his main goal was to let people enjoy the game and have fun, and the games he designed reflected that. EA doesn't have that, I'm sure there's plenty of great people who work for EA, but the company has a real problem.