Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Huge Dissapointment

Comments

• redrain84redrain84 Member UncommonPosts: 88
    Originally posted by VastoHorde
    I have been playing this game for about a week and I don't see anything wrong with it at all.

Thank you!

• redrain84redrain84 Member UncommonPosts: 88
    I have been playing this game for about a week and I don't see anything wrong with it at all.

People are mad because they cant build their own houses or go fishing, also the environment doesn't change from night to day. This has ruined the mmo and people are very upset.

• simmihisimmihi Member UncommonPosts: 709

Then I assume you got past level 10. If you did, this thread is irrelevant. Most of the posters here, even the most avid hater of the game (he bashes it on every topic) did not get past that level.

Did you make the mistake to play it free, with access to all quests, all areas, all the content? Too bad, because for only 200 bucks a lifetime sub you could play another game with very fluid combat from 6 years ago, and orcs, which gives you free updates!

• tintilinictintilinic Member Posts: 283
    Originally posted by redrain84

The game is good. Some people just don't like it because they haven't really given it a chance. Until you get one character to 50 your opinion on this game is invalid. So please stop posting your pointless arguments on this game. You can log in right now and see thousands of people playing. Swtor is in the top 5 MMO's currently being played in Amerca.  More people would defend the game but their too busy playing as we speak.  Also, I've played Mass Effect and hated it, but I loved Dragon Age. To be honest I use to think Swtor  really sucked, honestly I did. But when I gave it a another chance and really played it, I loved it to death and still do. I have 5 level 50's and a 55. So I think I have played the game enough to give an opinion. Some people just want to much and will never be pleased no matter what. Developers know this and they do they best they can. I have played  damn near every MMO on the market. There is no MMO that is so awesome it make people loss sleep. But that what everyone wants, huh? Well, I have bad news for you. Those types of games only come once in a blue moon. You wont see a lot of those in your life time, because they are difficult to make.  Bioware did the best they could and I am happy with the product because I look deeper and can really see how hard they worked, some people cant. Also, how many MMO's has Bioware made? The answer is one. If you look at all their game they all are single player games. People expected swtor  to de-throne WoW that has been out a number of years. Wasn't going to happen and if you thought it was your  the idiot. This was Bioware first MMO to my knowledge. For it to be their first MMO, they did a pretty got damn  good job. 

You Swtor haters make me sick, just bitch and complain. Next time you play the game try looking for something good about the game instead  of trying to look for thing to bash it on. And, it not a wow clone they used the same feel of the game as wow so people can jump right in and play without a learning curve, and it was a good idea. The way combat feels in wow, swtor, and rift works. Companies try to reinvent the wheel instead of using what already is working.

5 level 50es

1 lvl 30ish

2 below 20

did all initial content - KP/EV HM NM withing "competitive" frame

did all HM FPs withing first 2 weeks

got valor 60+ before Ilum valor debacle, when it was still some achievement in it

still occasionally log in to check on stuff

oh, also got 2000k+ CC back in november, and paid for 1 month of sub to get it, also had 20kk+ to spend before sub ran out so i bought all legacy crap+all CM unlocks available with credits (artifact unlock (account) costed 3kk alone).....

so, you were saying?

YOUR opinion is INVALID. check

Originally posted by Livnthedream
    Originally posted by superniceguy

If it was not for the success of LOTRO, the switch to F2P in other MMOs may never have happened. That only happened because the game itself was successful, it had many many more FREE updates, and 2 full proper expansions under its belts before going F2P. Dying MMOs don't get that - they don't put the effort in if they don't have revenue to do so, that is why SWG never got an expansion after 2005 with the NGE. STO has only just got an expansion because the early days was poor going, and now has only picked up. SWTOR only got an expansion as it was meant to be a free update, and was all in the works whether game was a fail or a success

I was speaking specifically of Lotro. For whatever reason it started losing subs, once it started it lost near 100k of its 300k peak in a 6 month period of time. Also, a game does not have to be "dieing" to go f2p, or more clearly in Lotro's case, Freemium.

Really? You did? You spoke for game that never ever gave any official numbers?

ahahahahahahhahahaahahahahahahahah

To put it simply to you:

LOTRO DIDNT HAVE TO GO F2P TO SURVIVE

SWTOR HAD TO GO F2P TO SURVIVE

• daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381
    Swtor for me is best ever game. Or at par with wow. I do not care YOU being disappointed, MANY are very happy and swtor IS success. Not compared to wow, nothing is success compared to them. Otherwise is success.
  • ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    If it was called

Stellar battles: the old republic

It would be dead by now.
  • superniceguysuperniceguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,278
    Originally posted by baphamet

Originally posted by Gardavsshade

Originally posted by superniceguy I am not bashing the game, it is what it is, and I have played it, and know what there is. It is fun for a few months, but is not something to play day in day out for years and years.
      housing and fishing is not what keep people playing mmo's every day for years. that is your problem right there, you still expect mmo's to last you that long and none of them likely will ever again. the reason they lasted years before was because there was next to no competition and the communities were great and kept you logging in for the friends you made. those days are over. too much competition out there now and a lot of them are F2P so people bounce from mmo to mmo. i don't even need to point out how crappy the mmo community is now compared to pre-wow, do i? the problem i see with a lot of gamers in the mmo community are them and their expectations. they want and expect an mmo to be as fun as the original games they played and last them years. not going to happen people.  
    Dragon prophet is getting housing, and so will Wildstar, and chances are EQ next will do   These things may not interest you, but if it had these things, it would attract a whole load more people From what I can tell SWTOR is not getting it because the game can not handle it, not because people do not want it. If people can build a home inside a MMO, then that adds more reason to stick playing it. The more things a MMO has a wider range of people will like the MMO, and that was SWGs strengths, it had so much stuff it appealed to a wide range of people. I even got bored of things in SWG too for a bit, but there was so much stuff in it, that there was always something else to do, so the whole game NEVER got boring. If it was not for the housing I built up and decorated, I do not think I would have played it after the NGE.
      i didn't say housing doesn't interest me, it does. what i am saying is those things wont keep the vast majority of people playing for years. my point was, even if SWTOR had those things it wouldn't have mattered much. people generally don't play the same mmo for years anymore, the fact that you say you expect them to tells me a lot about your unrealistic expectations. mmo's simply cannot and should not be judged by longevity compared to mmo's from 10 years ago or more. i get that SWTOR doesn't have a lot of sandbox elements and some people don't like that. i get that its a linear theme park that is a lot like wow and some people don't like that. but as far as longevity goes,IMO you should learn to manage your expectations better in that regard because you likely will never enjoy the same game for years ever again, like you did in the past (i know that is the case for me). especially when you consider the F2P model and many people jumping from mmo to mmo. i don't care what mmo we are talking about, until something comes a long that is just head and shoulders above everything else, this will hold true for all mmo's IMHO.
    Wrong answer.

MMOs can and SHOULD be judged at least by longevity compared to MMOs of years ago.

What has changed is that YOU and Players like You have COMPROMISED. That's not managing expectations, that's giving in.

Who's fault its that? Yours.

Stop trying to blame others for your choice to cow down to the MMO Publishers. Stop trying to be a "Dutful and Loyal Consumer Citizen".

uhh no, players like me realize that mmo's 10 years ago were the only show in town and it took years for more competition to be released as well as make the genre a bit stale and old as a whole.

where are these games that are holding subs that are being released recently? what mmo have you been playing daily for the past 5+ years?

why doi you think the F2P model is so popular? so people can play the same F2P game loyally for years on end?

i am not talking about any game developer or any game in particular here, i am talking about all of them.

but you and people like you can go right on ahead and continue to get butt soar because every single mmo that launches disappoints you and causes you to come here and rage about it LOL

its every game developers fault out there for your stupid expectations, always trying to hold a gamer down!! amirite?

F2P is mainly aimed at people who want to dip in and out, and play many MMOs at once. If you are loyal to a MMO you will still sub to it (except for once where there are no sub option like GW2). I stayed loyal with SWG from within 1 month from lauch to the very last day, and not only subbed 1 account but many the entire lifespan, because IMO it was well worth it, and considering loads of MMOs since have been utter crud then I do not regret it, but it is sad that they can not make a MMO nowadays that takes all that SWG had and adds way more and / or making it more smoother, less buggy.

SWTOR launched with 2 million players willing to pay the $15 monthly fee, but was seriously lacking in substance, that over 75% quit by the time it went F2P, so people like you are in the minority. If SWTOR was half way adequate, it would have lasted a few years before dying and having to go F2P.

MMOs these days are being so simple and so basic that single player games are having more depth, and do not have monthly fees or restricted via F2P. It is probably down to the recession - trying to put less effort into them but still asking for more money. MMOs always cost more money than single player games, and when they shut down everything is gone, so if you are going to pour time and energy into MMOs, then they NEED to have more and be more deep, to make them more worthwhile.

KOTOR is a better game than SWG, but SWG was the one that kept me playing that longer.

Goldeneye 64 was a progression on Doom, and Halo was a progression on Goldeneye 64. Racing games have progressed a lot too, first they just had few tracks, then later they had more tracks, then they added more features and better scenery, added in racing lines, then made them optional, and now are more open world.

Single player games can seem to advance the series / games forward, but MMOs are not, they seem to be regressing instead of progressing. You may be fine with this, but many / majority are not, and simply will just ignore these games. Every game needs to have at least the same amount of stuff as past / old games, but to take them ahead of the rest they need to have more.

STO is great for playing with others, and the Mass Effect / Dragon Age series is great for SWTORs strength - the story telling. SWTOR offers no more than these, but costs more (or costs less but with very limited un-fun gameplay via a restrictive F2P system)

• baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311

Originally posted by baphamet   Originally posted by Gardavsshade Originally posted by baphamet   Originally posted by superniceguy Originally posted by baphamet    Originally posted by superniceguy I am not bashing the game, it is what it is, and I have played it, and know what there is. It is fun for a few months, but is not something to play day in day out for years and years.
      housing and fishing is not what keep people playing mmo's every day for years. that is your problem right there, you still expect mmo's to last you that long and none of them likely will ever again. the reason they lasted years before was because there was next to no competition and the communities were great and kept you logging in for the friends you made. those days are over. too much competition out there now and a lot of them are F2P so people bounce from mmo to mmo. i don't even need to point out how crappy the mmo community is now compared to pre-wow, do i? the problem i see with a lot of gamers in the mmo community are them and their expectations. they want and expect an mmo to be as fun as the original games they played and last them years. not going to happen people.  
    Dragon prophet is getting housing, and so will Wildstar, and chances are EQ next will do   These things may not interest you, but if it had these things, it would attract a whole load more people From what I can tell SWTOR is not getting it because the game can not handle it, not because people do not want it. If people can build a home inside a MMO, then that adds more reason to stick playing it. The more things a MMO has a wider range of people will like the MMO, and that was SWGs strengths, it had so much stuff it appealed to a wide range of people. I even got bored of things in SWG too for a bit, but there was so much stuff in it, that there was always something else to do, so the whole game NEVER got boring. If it was not for the housing I built up and decorated, I do not think I would have played it after the NGE.
      i didn't say housing doesn't interest me, it does. what i am saying is those things wont keep the vast majority of people playing for years. my point was, even if SWTOR had those things it wouldn't have mattered much. people generally don't play the same mmo for years anymore, the fact that you say you expect them to tells me a lot about your unrealistic expectations. mmo's simply cannot and should not be judged by longevity compared to mmo's from 10 years ago or more. i get that SWTOR doesn't have a lot of sandbox elements and some people don't like that. i get that its a linear theme park that is a lot like wow and some people don't like that. but as far as longevity goes,IMO you should learn to manage your expectations better in that regard because you likely will never enjoy the same game for years ever again, like you did in the past (i know that is the case for me). especially when you consider the F2P model and many people jumping from mmo to mmo. i don't care what mmo we are talking about, until something comes a long that is just head and shoulders above everything else, this will hold true for all mmo's IMHO.
    Wrong answer.   MMOs can and SHOULD be judged at least by longevity compared to MMOs of years ago. What has changed is that YOU and Players like You have COMPROMISED. That's not managing expectations, that's giving in. Who's fault its that? Yours. Stop trying to blame others for your choice to cow down to the MMO Publishers. Stop trying to be a "Dutful and Loyal Consumer Citizen".
      uhh no, players like me realize that mmo's 10 years ago were the only show in town and it took years for more competition to be released as well as make the genre a bit stale and old as a whole. where are these games that are holding subs that are being released recently? what mmo have you been playing daily for the past 5+ years? why doi you think the F2P model is so popular? so people can play the same F2P game loyally for years on end? i am not talking about any game developer or any game in particular here, i am talking about all of them. but you and people like you can go right on ahead and continue to get butt soar because every single mmo that launches disappoints you and causes you to come here and rage about it LOL its every game developers fault out there for your stupid expectations, always trying to hold a gamer down!! amirite?  
    F2P is mainly aimed at people who want to dip in and out, and play many MMOs at once. If you are loyal to a MMO you will still sub to it (except for once where there are no sub option like GW2). I stayed loyal with SWG from within 1 month from lauch to the very last day, and not only subbed 1 account but many the entire lifespan, because IMO it was well worth it, and considering loads of MMOs since have been utter crud then I do not regret it, but it is sad that they can not make a MMO nowadays that takes all that SWG had and adds way more and / or making it more smoother, less buggy.

SWTOR launched with 2 million players willing to pay the $15 monthly fee, but was seriously lacking in substance, that over 75% quit by the time it went F2P, so people like you are in the minority. If SWTOR was half way adequate, it would have lasted a few years before dying and having to go F2P.

MMOs these days are being so simple and so basic that single player games are having more depth, and do not have monthly fees or restricted via F2P. It is probably down to the recession - trying to put less effort into them but still asking for more money. MMOs always cost more money than single player games, and when they shut down everything is gone, so if you are going to pour time and energy into MMOs, then they NEED to have more and be more deep, to make them more worthwhile.

KOTOR is a better game than SWG, but SWG was the one that kept me playing that longer.

Goldeneye 64 was a progression on Doom, and Halo was a progression on Goldeneye 64. Racing games have progressed a lot too, first they just had few tracks, then later they had more tracks, then they added more features and better scenery, added in racing lines, then made them optional, and now are more open world.

Single player games can seem to advance the series / games forward, but MMOs are not, they seem to be regressing instead of progressing. You may be fine with this, but many / majority are not, and simply will just ignore these games. Every game needs to have at least the same amount of stuff as past / old games, but to take them ahead of the rest they need to have more.

STO is great for playing with others, and the Mass Effect / Dragon Age series is great for SWTORs strength - the story telling. SWTOR offers no more than these, but costs more (or costs less but with very limited un-fun gameplay via a restrictive F2P system)

i don't disagree with most of that. but it still doesn't change the fact that there is way more competition in the mmo genre today and with the F2P model and all the different free games out there, its damn near impossible for any mmo to keep their players playing for years on end like they could 10+ years ago.

IMO even with an mmo that has the features you are talking about likely will not be able to do it unless they do it far better than everyone else does.

its not like there are no sandbox games like SWG. there really isn't any big budget ones but there are mmo's with similar features.

i think (and hope) EQnext will come up with a game that people can enjoy for more than a few months and then hopefully later WOD.

if those two games cant do it i don't think any game can anymore and i still have my serious doubts they will (other than keeping their niche player base playing much like every other mmo including SWTOR).

• superniceguysuperniceguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,278

Originally posted by Gardavsshade

Originally posted by superniceguy I am not bashing the game, it is what it is, and I have played it, and know what there is. It is fun for a few months, but is not something to play day in day out for years and years.
    Wrong answer.   MMOs can and SHOULD be judged at least by longevity compared to MMOs of years ago. What has changed is that YOU and Players like You have COMPROMISED. That's not managing expectations, that's giving in. Who's fault its that? Yours. Stop trying to blame others for your choice to cow down to the MMO Publishers. Stop trying to be a "Dutful and Loyal Consumer Citizen".
      uhh no, players like me realize that mmo's 10 years ago were the only show in town and it took years for more competition to be released as well as make the genre a bit stale and old as a whole. where are these games that are holding subs that are being released recently? what mmo have you been playing daily for the past 5+ years? why doi you think the F2P model is so popular? so people can play the same F2P game loyally for years on end? i am not talking about any game developer or any game in particular here, i am talking about all of them. but you and people like you can go right on ahead and continue to get butt soar because every single mmo that launches disappoints you and causes you to come here and rage about it LOL its every game developers fault out there for your stupid expectations, always trying to hold a gamer down!! amirite?  

i don't disagree with most of that. but it still doesn't change the fact that there is way more competition in the mmo genre today and with the F2P model and all the different free games out there, its damn near impossible for any mmo to keep their players playing for years on end like they could 10+ years ago.

IMO even with an mmo that has the features you are talking about likely will not be able to do it unless they do it far better than everyone else does.

its not like there are no sandbox games like SWG. there really isn't any big budget ones but there are mmo's with similar features.

i think (and hope) EQnext will come up with a game that people can enjoy for more than a few months and then hopefully later WOD.

if those two games cant do it i don't think any game can anymore and i still have my serious doubts they will (other than keeping their niche player base playing much like every other mmo including SWTOR).

SWTOR is no exception, as I have not hardly played any of the other MMOs released in 2012, and despite the competition WOW still keeps on ticking. However SWTOR tanked the hardest, even with the many MMOs out there, it should not have lost as many as it did, if the game had plenty substance. When it ended up being limited people just went back to playing their MMOs, but the amount of people that bought it initially showed that people were ready to move on, and tired of WOW and the clones. 

I don't think SWTOR would have had such a big launch of 2 million people if it was down to the competition, as no other MMO has managed that. "Lets go buy SWTOR and with its $15 monthly fee quit it in a few months wasting money as it may go F2P soon and then go play another MMO while I wait" - I do not see over 1.5 million people doing that. The reason for SWTORs demise is the game itself. It is more single player than MMO, as that was Biowares strengths, but people wanted a MMO not a single player style game

SWTOR simply failed to deliver, and as said by EA/BW / Dallas Dickinson, the game went through major stresses, and a lot of the game was cut out within the final 6 months of development. They hoped that what they removed would still be viable, but obviously was not. They may have intended to add it later but with all the staff layoffs have not. Although the reputation system and the macrobinoculars things could be some of these features that were dropped.

They even said that they underestimated peoples play times, where people were finishing it all within months, instead of years. When I was going for Jedi in SWG, and levelling up through all the professions, I spent about 4 hours per evening in the week, and about 15 hours on Sat and Sun each, and still did not manage to max a Jedi by the time the NGE came over 2 years later.

Apparently WOW has been modified over the years to make it easier to level too, and early WOW was more slower to level, but not to the extreme of SWTOR.

One thing that could easily give the game a bit more longevity and be plausible for SWTOR is if it was possible to replay some of the missions. You can do this in STO and is beneficial at max level as the mission reward scales to your level, so if you did a mission at level 8, to begin with you would get a reward for a level 8, but if you redo it at level 50 it would then be a level 50 item.

Yes, hopefully EQ next will be something special. Smedley seems to be listening to feedback and what people actually want, instead of trying to copy other MMOs successes

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    Originally posted by daltanious
    Swtor for me is best ever game. Or at par with wow. I do not care YOU being disappointed, MANY are very happy and swtor IS success. Not compared to wow, nothing is success compared to them. Otherwise is success.

If you love the game then support it and forget the haters. They  are all just bad because they don't have anything to play. LOL

• Jerek_Jerek_ Member Posts: 409
    Originally posted by simmihi

Then I assume you got past level 10. If you did, this thread is irrelevant. Most of the posters here, even the most avid hater of the game (he bashes it on every topic) did not get past that level.

Did you make the mistake to play it free, with access to all quests, all areas, all the content? Too bad, because for only 200 bucks a lifetime sub you could play another game with very fluid combat from 6 years ago, and orcs, which gives you free updates!

That's ridiculous, most of the people that have complaints with swtor have a lot of experience with the game.  Personally I think its a fundamentally flawed game at its core with developmental mistakes that had to have been obvious to anyone working on it who wasn't blinded by their own ego.  Funny that you would say 'haters' didn't make it past level 10 since many people, me for example, would say the leveling process is one of the games strengths.  I have 6 level 50s and I've experienced basically all the content the game has to offer.

Originally posted by Jerek_

That's ridiculous, most of the people that have complaints with swtor have a lot of experience with the game.  Personally I think its a fundamentally flawed game at its core with developmental mistakes that had to have been obvious to anyone working on it who wasn't blinded by their own ego.  Funny that you would say 'haters' didn't make it past level 10 since many people, me for example, would say the leveling process is one of the games strengths.  I have 6 level 50s and I've experienced basically all the content the game has to offer.

So you are a "hater" then? You have 6 level 50's and hate the game? Lol. Again, you played this "flawed to the core" game and have 6 !!! max level (pre-Makeb) characters? And it is a terrible game? And you see nothing wrong with what you say here? I don't know, when I usually don't like a game, I hardly reach cap level even with one character... six characters...

Again, i am aware of the obvious flaws that the game has, but it's FAR from the way the haters want to describe it, without getting too specific because... well they cannot, they did not play it enough. It's all the same generic "linear, no atmosphere, too corridor-y, no day-night, too expensive for free to play (without actually experiencing themselves how cheap playing as preferred is)" etc.

And then there's the discussion about how many subs they lost, why they went free to play, investors, numbers, what said who about some thing which was supposed to be like this and it turned out like that... like anyone playing gives a rat's ass about how much profit EA gets out of the game, or how many "subbed" players still are in. People actually playing are having fun, that's the most important thing. I could not care less about the fact that from the 2mil initial sales, half were probably SW fans and not gamers, and they quit after playing 1-2 storylines. I don't give a damn about the fact that, from the 1mil subs which were gamers, half of them were probably expecting SWG 2 and they did not receive it. The game is good as it is, for what it is. Could it be better? Sure. Is it the worst MMO in history, does it steal from elder people and kill kittens? No.

And yes, I stand on this, most of the haters did not get past level 10, I know that from discussions. They do not know the game, the endgame, nothing. They did not play it at the endgame. Have no idea about weeklies, operations, group content generally. It's the game with the most extensive character customization I've played in the last few years, the game where I've grouped the most (because it's rewarding and even needed sometimes) and I've played all the big titles. And they say it's not a MMO. It's very obvious: they play it till level 10-20 like a single player game.

Originally posted by ShakyMo
    If it was called

It would be dead by now.

Some time before launch (after open beta) i predicted SWTOR would have 15-20% more subs than Rift, and thats only because IP/developer brands.

If it wasnt for that it would be 20-30% lower than Rift, which would probably mean shutdown or some abomination like SoE did with Vanguard (4 people working on it)

• simpliussimplius Member UncommonPosts: 1,134

So you are a "hater" then? You have 6 level 50's and hate the game? Lol. Again, you played this "flawed to the core" game and have 6 !!! max level (pre-Makeb) characters? And it is a terrible game? And you see nothing wrong with what you say here? I don't know, when I usually don't like a game, I hardly reach cap level even with one character... six characters...

Again, i am aware of the obvious flaws that the game has, but it's FAR from the way the haters want to describe it, without getting too specific because... well they cannot, they did not play it enough. It's all the same generic "linear, no atmosphere, too corridor-y, no day-night, too expensive for free to play (without actually experiencing themselves how cheap playing as preferred is)" etc.

And then there's the discussion about how many subs they lost, why they went free to play, investors, numbers, what said who about some thing which was supposed to be like this and it turned out like that... like anyone playing gives a rat's ass about how much profit EA gets out of the game, or how many "subbed" players still are in. People actually playing are having fun, that's the most important thing. I could not care less about the fact that from the 2mil initial sales, half were probably SW fans and not gamers, and they quit after playing 1-2 storylines. I don't give a damn about the fact that, from the 1mil subs which were gamers, half of them were probably expecting SWG 2 and they did not receive it. The game is good as it is, for what it is. Could it be better? Sure. Is it the worst MMO in history, does it steal from elder people and kill kittens? No.

And yes, I stand on this, most of the haters did not get past level 10, I know that from discussions. They do not know the game, the endgame, nothing. They did not play it at the endgame. Have no idea about weeklies, operations, group content generally. It's the game with the most extensive character customization I've played in the last few years, the game where I've grouped the most (because it's rewarding and even needed sometimes) and I've played all the big titles. And they say it's not a MMO. It's very obvious: they play it till level 10-20 like a single player game.

i reached lvl 32 on my main, before quitting,,,your first mistake

most mmo players now, are  CASUAL SOLO PVEers,,,second

and end game is, where most players roll an alt, or move to another game,,so how much will that help swtor?

• simpliussimplius Member UncommonPosts: 1,134
    Originally posted by tintilinic
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    If it was called

It would be dead by now.

Some time before launch (after open beta) i predicted SWTOR would have 15-20% more subs than Rift, and thats only because IP/developer brands.

If it wasnt for that it would be 20-30% lower than Rift, which would probably mean shutdown or some abomination like SoE did with Vanguard (4 people working on it)

ahh vanguard online,,the first 5$ game i bought

having a star wars game in the same category is not good for the IP

but it looks like Disney doesnt care about that,,with the new EA contracts

at least, i still have the new movies , to look forward to

lets see, what they do with the big name, they have the rights to use

BTW, who are making the "ordinary" warhammer games,,the strategy games?  is that EA too?

I have 6 characters because there is fun to be had in swtor, but most of it comes from playing it like a single player rpg.  The MMO elements of swtor are trash.  It doesn't have a single gameplay element that's actually massively multiplayer so count me in the "its not an MMO" crowd.  For many of the people that followed the game for years before release and pre-ordered or bought it right away the expectation wasn't swg 2, it was wow it space-  not how I would have done it but it was clearly the development teams goal.  The problem was that they failed hard at delivering a wow like experience set in the star wars universe.  Swtor deserves the criticism it gets and your kidding yourself if you think its all coming from people that didn't play.

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    I just download the client, thought i might have a bash - but what the hell is that performance all about.  I have a modest system, but can max out graphics in any other mmorg i play and get 40 fps + on average for e.g TSW,GW2,Eve - in this game I get 20-30 in the starting zone and it jerks all over the place, i am absolutely shocked lol.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

I have 6 characters because there is fun to be had in swtor, but most of it comes from playing it like a single player rpg.  The MMO elements of swtor are trash.  It doesn't have a single gameplay element that's actually massively multiplayer so count me in the "its not an MMO" crowd.  For many of the people that followed the game for years before release and pre-ordered or bought it right away the expectation wasn't swg 2, it was wow it space-  not how I would have done it but it was clearly the development teams goal.  The problem was that they failed hard at delivering a wow like experience set in the star wars universe.  Swtor deserves the criticism it gets and your kidding yourself if you think its all coming from people that didn't play.

It does not have "a single gameplay element that's actually massively multiplayer"??? Can you get into specifics? What would you like to see? Did you do any 16man ops? Is that not "massive" enough, or are WoW's 10 man raids more "massive"? I don't understand, please enlighten me: what do other themeparks have which is so "massive multiplayer" and swtor doesnt?

• lareslocilaresloci Member UncommonPosts: 373

It does not have "a single gameplay element that's actually massively multiplayer"??? Can you get into specifics? What would you like to see? Did you do any 16man ops? Is that not "massive" enough, or are WoW's 10 man raids more "massive"? I don't understand, please enlighten me: what do other themeparks have which is so "massive multiplayer" and swtor doesnt?

Goldshire and the Lion's Pride Inn?

Why is it that, as a culture, we are more comfortable seeing two men holding guns than holding hands? ~Ernest Gaines

I've been in battles that had over 1200 people involved and took 6 hours, that's massively multiplayer to me.  What the minimum number of players involved is to really feel massive is a grey area, to me if it doesn't involve more people than what you get in an fps, it probably doesn't feel massive.  Things I can think of that wow had off the top of my head was wintergrasp I think, the pvp area in lich king, I don't know what the head counts were but it felt right.  The olds raids old had 40 people but they did to.  The single most important thing that games like wow and rift have that swtor doesn't is a game engine capable of supporting large numbers of active players.

Even the capital cities felt massive.  You essentially do the exact same things in Stormwind and the fleets, but in one its open and connected to the game world, and in the other its instanced, feels claustrophobic, and is disconnected from actual game by multiple loading screens.  It feels more like a glorified multiplayer lobby than a hub.

Either way, I don't hold wow up as a shining example of what massive gameplay should be, more like the bare minimum.  When I started swtor I didn't question its status as an MMO either, it took playing the game, constantly feeling boxed in, instanced and restricted to make me question it.

I've been in battles that had over 1200 people involved and took 6 hours, that's massively multiplayer to me.  What the minimum number of players involved is to really feel massive is a grey area, to me if it doesn't involve more people than what you get in an fps, it probably doesn't feel massive.  Things I can think of that wow had off the top of my head was wintergrasp I think, the pvp area in lich king, I don't know what the head counts were but it felt right.  The olds raids old had 40 people but they did to.  The single most important thing that games like wow and rift have that swtor doesn't is a game engine capable of supporting large numbers of active players.

Even the capital cities felt massive.  You essentially do the exact same things in Stormwind and the fleets, but in one its open and connected to the game world, and in the other its instanced, feels claustrophobic, and is disconnected from actual game by multiple loading screens.  It feels more like a glorified multiplayer lobby than a hub.

Either way, I don't hold wow up as a shining example of what massive gameplay should be, more like the bare minimum.  When I started swtor I didn't question its status as an MMO either, it took playing the game, constantly feeling boxed in, instanced and restricted to make me question it.

So without comparing apples to oranges, SWTOR has not even (and i quote) "a single gameplay element" which makes it massive" because it doesnt have wintergrasp (numbers are limited there too) and vanilla wow raids. Thank you. Large numbers in WoW and Rift? I've played Rift also, the game got sluggish when ~40 people were on screen. Same with GW2, that's why they had that phasing "bug" everyone complained about. Nothing is really "massive", WoW could hold 40man raids because it has Nintendo graphics. And the fact that you like Stormwind and don't like the fleet is personal preference nothing more nothing less. I respect other people's opinions, play whatever you like. But why exaggerate just because you hate a game or you left a game who kept you interested for a long time?

So without comparing apples to oranges, SWTOR has not even (and i quote) "a single gameplay element" which makes it massive" because it doesnt have wintergrasp (numbers are limited there too) and vanilla wow raids. Thank you. Large numbers in WoW and Rift? I've played Rift also, the game got sluggish when ~40 people were on screen. Same with GW2, that's why they had that phasing "bug" everyone complained about. Nothing is really "massive", WoW could hold 40man raids because it has Nintendo graphics. And the fact that you like Stormwind and don't like the fleet is personal preference nothing more nothing less. I respect other people's opinions, play whatever you like. But why exaggerate just because you hate a game or you left a game who kept you interested for a long time?

You havent played GW2 so please refrain from statements about it.

GW2 got sluggish only when all 3 sides attacked 1 spot, nmely SM in EB, or on rare occasion on borderlands. thats like 150+ people.

There was NO "phasing bug" in GW2. WTH are you talking about?

SWTOR got to a slide show with 15vs15. Thats 30 measly people.

Originally posted by tintilinic

You havent played GW2 so please refrain from statements about it.

GW2 got sluggish only when all 3 sides attacked 1 spot, nmely SM in EB, or on rare occasion on borderlands. thats like 150+ people.

There was NO "phasing bug" in GW2. WTH are you talking about?

SWTOR got to a slide show with 15vs15. Thats 30 measly people.

Oh, I'm sorry mister know-it-all, but i DID play the borefest called GW2. And you have no authority to tell me what I'm allowed to talk about or not.

The issue i'm talking about is called CULLING, i did not find the term at the moment of my reply so that's why i rewrote it as "phasing". Practically, you cannot see all enemies around you, like they were "phased out", so that's why i came up with "phasing". My mistake, I was in a rush, not prepared to search the internet for the proper term. Nevertheless, it is kind of an important issue, don't you think? Familiar with it? They've fixed it (somehow) this year in March, but in the meantime, SWTOR got better too.

By the way, Rift went free to play, go troll there, I'm sure it's a great place for you trolls to be now.

I don't see how saying that even though I enjoyed the game, it never once offered anything massively multiplayer is an exaggeration.  I will say your point about wow's graphics has some merit though-  what I take away from that is that the requirements for the graphics that people love so much has reached a point that massive gameplay is less and less possible.  If that's the price, its not worth it- especially if all you get is swtor's graphics in return.

I don't hate the game, and I'm not saying these things because I'm not playing anymore.  I said the same things while I was still playing and enjoying the game, I'm just not a fanboy so I have no problem seeing both the strengths and weaknesses of the games I play.  If you actually think swtors quality is the same as wows, offers the same levels of multiplayer as wow does, or there's no serious issues with the version of the hero engine they used, then your defense of the game goes beyond even the people that made it.