Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Huge Dissapointment

For me this game was very important. I grew up playing KOTOR at the age of eight, and I had always yearned for another well written Bioware experience. Well...I think we all know how it ended up, and I'm probably not the only one dissapointed. Not trying to flame or troll because I know this game is heading in the right direction, but the only reason I'm saying this is because I had such high expectations for this game, throw in my deep childhood love of BIoware and Star Wars(hope you can empathize) and all you got is a broken heart. Here's why the game is generally dissapointing:

• The general theme park structure of this game was not a genuine Bioware product. For example Mass Effect is a linear tale, yet you feel like there is a huge galaxy surrounding you, this is because the supporting quests are done skillfully in order to truly immerse you in the world(people coming up to you for, comm calls, heroic calls to glory!). Its quirks and efforts like these that help surround you in the world.  SWTOR lacks these immersive elements, and just plain immersion, but there is something world-breaking about a hero putting himself out there to random people in order to get some gear lovin'. The only instance I can think of where bioware was able to pull this off was the very beginning of planet quests, your special companion storyline quests, and some welcomed plot disruptors such as being attacked on the way to your ship. I'm not against themeparks, but please don't make me feel like I'm in a themepark Bioware.
  • Stemming off what I said about themeparks, Sandbox elements absolutely needed to be added. Not the more hardcore elements that belong to Darkfall, but basic things the give off the feel of freedom: player housing, off rails space flight, heavy exploration, I can't think off all of them right now, but you catch my drift? I know thats a basic complaint around here, but  my reasoning is that if you have a gigantic universe of lore, whether it be fan fiction, the movies, or video games, there is no way in hell that you should limit people on what they already know to be true in that universe. The galaxy is HUGE, I mean you can even see it in the galaxy map, so there should be no excuse. Where's my sense of childlike wonder Bioware? Where's that one feeling that I get where I'm role playing and I didn't even know I was role-playing Bioware? Wheres the ability to sit in a chair at a twi'lek strip club, become suddenly inspired by twi'lek cultural dance that we all is not cultural its just dirty dancing, and become a slave girl even though you're a man Bioware? Where's my Sandbox?. Minor sandbox that is ;).
  • The core fundamentals of the game cannot be changed, and by that I mean mindless boring gameplay. Bioware's games have been and always will be just a little tactical for those of us who want to just blow through hordes of enemies, and they will be so tactical that switching on nightmare difficulty requires you to seriously give everything you've got to each battle, that's you Dragon Age. Or so this was my thought going into this game. I realize this is my weakest argument since not everyone is me, and not everyone has played Bioware's games, but if you have reputation in the gaming industry, you should play to the strengths of it. This gameplay feels like and plays like the same exact thing every time, I know thats how video games work, but in X amount of hours of playing this game what enemy outside of a flashpoint boss or elite special character actually did something that threw you for a loop and caused you to rethink your strategy? You'd probably say none, but of course that's what I was going to say. I can't really remember any mobs that stuck out in the game as cool or specific, thats the sign of a themepark mmo AND an awful gaming experience. The only thing I can think of that was genuinely refreshing in terms of gameplay tactics, strategy, etc. was the operations, even then I can confidently say those are not for everyone...including me.

There you have it. Take it or leave it. We all have something that we would love to change about our games, some more definitely obvious than others. I seriously do believe that us as gamers should not be sentimental because this is a hobby(or a life and career choice for some...not judging) that is so easy to be caught up in like that. This is me getting rid of that sentimental feeling, that helpless feeling of not being able to manipulate or change this game I wanted so badly to love. There really is nothing to do now but stay positive about this game and move forward. The industry is clearly moving forward, I believe there is a clear shift towards themepark/sandbox fused games, i.e. Wildstar, but I believe this is the watermark of failure for the themepark mmo. 

Comments

• VassagoMaelVassagoMael Member Posts: 555

You are a little late with this... would have been relevant 18 months ago. 

Also, you made an account just for this?

Free to play = content updates for the cash shop. Buy to play = content updates for the cash shop.
    Subscription = Actual content updates!

• urbanaudiourbanaudio Member Posts: 11
    Nah, made it for acouple of beta keys like a day ago. Haha, know I'm just tad late, It's just something that I've been thinking about lately. Figured it'd still be a little bit relavant if the mmo is still around.
  • asrlohzasrlohz Member Posts: 645
    Originally posted by urbanaudio
    Nah, made it for acouple of beta keys like a day ago. Haha, know I'm just tad late, It's just something that I've been thinking about lately. Figured it'd still be a little bit relavant if the mmo is still around.

That's how it all starts. One beta key here, another there. And suddenly you are stuck like the rest of us, wandering this page like soulless husks of rage, burnt by countless of MMO's and slowly regressing back to singleplayer games.

That sounds nice, like the feeling of a long vacation.
  • asrlohzasrlohz Member Posts: 645
    That sounds nice, like the feeling of a long vacation.

The feeling you had back during your summer breaks where you felt you had nothing to do and that it was too short, but deep down you knew you longed to go back to your social life in the middle of august.

Just exchange the word "summer" with "MMO" and "Social life" with... I guess social life is fine as it is.

• SkelotonSkeloton Member Posts: 5

In my time with the game after it had been revamped for the free-to-play model, I noted that the designs felt more like a punishment for those who chose not to pay than an enticement to getpeople to pay. Instead of keeping the base experience even and enjoyable for all and adding extras for paying customers, The Old Republic gimped the game so that you couldn't even equip the best gear without unlocking the ability to do so.

“Sooner or later, you’re going to defeat that monster at the end of the dungeon. You’ll slice apart that Sith Lord or Jedi Knight,” You’ll feel so proud of your accomplishment, so happy that you’ve completed the task set before you. You’ll click on the enemy’s body, ready to retrieve your winnings, and then you’ll see it: the notification that you can’t wear that armor, can’t equip that lightsaber, until you unlock the ability to do so using Cartel Coins. Would you like to purchase Cartel Coins? No. No thanks.

• WalterWhiteWalterWhite Member UncommonPosts: 411
    With the damage being done now, I doubt we shall ever see another KotOR game again which makes me sad.
    @asrlohz Its a cycle that cannot be broken
    @skeloton That's a good point. I've been hearing a lot about that from friends who've gone back. You have to admit though, it is a little clever, they told you that you could play to 50, but they never told you how difficult battles in all uncommon gear would be!
    @Breakingbad don't be so sure of that, EA owns star wars video games now, so my reasoning is that they'll give bioware a shot.
    @Breakingbad don't be so sure of that, EA owns star wars video games now, so my reasoning is that they'll give bioware a shot.

Technically speaking, Disney owns them, EA has the rights to make the games, but with the disaster that is SWTOR and if EA keep it running, I doubt they will make a KotOR as that may lead to even less players for SWTOR which is something EA will do anything to avoid.

I would like to see another KotOR by all means but i'm not getting my hopes up anytime soon.

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

Originally posted by BreakingBad
    With the damage being done now, I doubt we shall ever see another KotOR game again which makes me sad.

EA allready said they have plans for KOTOR 3... on top of that they said they will probably do an open world game based on the IP.

EDIT;  tried to trace back which website i read this, just cant find it ... so no backing up this with a link.

And back to the OP...

THis is the first MMO that ever immersed me with its stories, they feel much more immersed then in any other MMO currently avaialbe. And, yes i know they are linear, but so is a movie and i enjoy those too.  

Its a Themepark, and not everything is perfect, but there is 100´s of hours of gameplay available just playing the 8 class stories and the flashpoints.  So no, espescially this game does not need more sandbox elements. 

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

@lordbachus you're right about that Bacchus the stories are immersive, but i was really talking about more of how you get involved and why do you get involved in those stories other than that you're spot on. movies are linear, yet the skill of a great filmmaker is to subtly remove that feeling of linearity and provide you with a suspension of disbelief. So in spirit they are truly not linear, thats kin of what I was trying to get at. I Know things arent perfect, If you read my post, I address that.I've heard those numbers before, haha too many times, and they only have a lasting effect until you complete those same planetary and side quests over an over again, so I'd really say that 100-8 classes of gameplay time really only translates to about 20-8 hours of original story-telling, I don't know what that has to do with you not wanting sandbox elements, but that's your call.
    I stand corrected, thanks for the info. Where EA are concerned, I am more than a little pessimistic to say the least but that has put a smile on my face :)
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Originally posted by VassagoMael

LOL well there are always new gamer's coming along,we are not all old timers lol.

I think everyone is entitled to their opinion be it new or old.

A lot of people like to talk about games and share their opinions,that is what forums are about.

I think i can speak for many in saying,it was a let down,NOT because it was a really bad game,it was not.It is because we expected the EPIC game to follow the EPIC franchise.

I a ma firm believer in that when you decide to do something,do it right.If you do it half ass then it comes off as nothing more than trying to cash in on the IP name alone.

There lies varied opinions right,some maybe think it was done very well,others don't.I hear it cost 200 million,.i find that hard to believe but it might be true.When i look at that number then a lot makes sense.If i was in charge,i would probably pull the plug at 200 million as well,just tidy it up and release it.That is  sort of what this game looks like to me,it had a good direction but all of a sudden seems to fall short everywhere.

I would blame management if they spent 200 million and only had that to show.I also cut EA some slack because i fully understand that no way can you go over 200 million and expect much profit.

Their stock took a 40

% hit and all the blame was laid on SWTOR,definitely why that CEO got canned.That kind of money would make heads roll.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• jpnzjpnz Member Posts: 3,529
    Originally posted by Wizardry

/snip 

I would blame management if they spent 200 million and only had that to show.I also cut EA some slack because i fully understand that no way can you go over 200 million and expect much profit.

Their stock took a 40 % hit and all the blame was laid on SWTOR,definitely why that CEO got canned.That kind of money would make heads roll.

This entire post is factually wrong.

Whether you know enough about financial disclosure laws on why it is wrong is another issue.

Back on topic: I am puzzled why anyone is dissappointed on what Bioware delivered. BW delievered what they said they would, a WoW-Clone with BW story writing.

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

• DocBrodyDocBrody Member UncommonPosts: 1,926

Hello,

kinda agree with the OP, it's not half as good as it could have been, with that kind of budget.

Maybe in 2-3 years it will get there.

cheers

Doc B

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    Originally posted by VassagoMael

Come on if there's one thing ppl like to do on this forum it's bitch about how bad every game is. It doesn't matter that most of these ppl have said all this a thousand times in other threads...this is a fresh one to come poop in.

• AhnogAhnog Member UncommonPosts: 240
    There are some of us who think bioware did, and is doing a great job. You post is personal taste, not an indictment of the game itself.

Ahnog

Hokey religions are no replacement for a good blaster at your side.

• tintilinictintilinic Member Posts: 283
    Originally posted by jpnz
    Originally posted by Wizardry

/snip 

Their stock took a 40 % hit and all the blame was laid on SWTOR,definitely why that CEO got canned.That kind of money would make heads roll.

This entire post is factually wrong.

Whether you know enough about financial disclosure laws on why it is wrong is another issue.

Back on topic: I am puzzled why anyone is dissappointed on what Bioware delivered. BW delievered what they said they would, a WoW-Clone with BW story writing.

They didnt deliver half of the game they said they would pre-launch.

If only official forums werent wiped at launch, it would be really interesting to visit it now.

Originally posted by Ahnog
    There are some of us who think bioware did, and is doing a great job. You post is personal taste, not an indictment of the game itself.

Even worst games out there have few fanbois.

Not even BW/EA think they are doing a great job., let alone few million people that left the game in mere year.

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    @lordbachus you're right about that Bacchus the stories are immersive, but i was really talking about more of how you get involved and why do you get involved in those stories other than that you're spot on. movies are linear, yet the skill of a great filmmaker is to subtly remove that feeling of linearity and provide you with a suspension of disbelief. So in spirit they are truly not linear, thats kin of what I was trying to get at. I Know things arent perfect, If you read my post, I address that.I've heard those numbers before, haha too many times, and they only have a lasting effect until you complete those same planetary and side quests over an over again, so I'd really say that 100-8 classes of gameplay time really only translates to about 20-8 hours of original story-telling, I don't know what that has to do with you not wanting sandbox elements, but that's your call.

Just the statement that adding sandbox features improves the game, as some have been crying on this website for ages, just the fact that that statement is not true...  The great majorriy of gamers are casuall, and in generl like to be entertained by a game istead of spending hors upon hours tring to find the entertainment in a game.

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• simpliussimplius Member UncommonPosts: 1,134
    Originally posted by tintilinic

Not even BW/EA think they are doing a great job., let alone few million people that left the game in mere year.

so his opinion is irrelevant, but yours isnt?

no,,one player, one vote,,and that would put you , roughly, in 1:4 minority

think of all the juicy , sweet $$, just waiting for the next star wars mmo

even if you hold your ground against us,,capitalism will do the rest

such a big market potential is sure to attract the interest of the suits

• hikaru77hikaru77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,123
    Originally posted by BreakingBad

Thats your point of view, im a KOTOR fan and i love playing swtor. 

• hikaru77hikaru77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,123

You are right, the game is bad and a huge fail, thats why disney didnt give to EA and BW the license to make all the SW games in the future. Wait no, actually http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/05/06/ea-acquires-star-wars-game-license . 

Originally posted by hikaru77

You are right, the game is bad and a huge fail, thats why disney didnt give to EA and BW the license to make all the SW games in the future. Wait no, actually http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/05/06/ea-acquires-star-wars-game-license . 

And? SWTOR was negotiated long before Disney was even in the picture.

And you forgot SWTOR was suppsed to knock WoW off the throne. And now cant even beat EvE.