Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Interesting article from Age of conan director *read the PvP part*

Hello.

Ive never really played Age of Conan. Ive thought about it a few times over the last few months but an MMO thats been on the market for 5+ years can be quite tough to get into, sometimes. My old pc also couldnt run this game when it released several years ago also.

After reading this;

http://www.ageofconan.com/news/game_director_letter_april_2013

(attention on cross server tech and equal gear in pvp)

Im wondering if it still might not be to late to give the game a try? If i choose the Set server will i get to enjoy any pvp at all? Wouldnt it be a poor choice to roll on one of the pvp servers this late in the game? Do you even recommend this game to me?

thanks

Comments

• ReehayReehay Member Posts: 172
    Originally posted by tristanryan

Hello.

Ive never really played Age of Conan. Ive thought about it a few times over the last few months but an MMO thats been on the market for 5+ years can be quite tough to get into, sometimes. My old pc also couldnt run this game when it released several years ago also.

After reading this;

http://www.ageofconan.com/news/game_director_letter_april_2013

(attention on cross server tech and equal gear in pvp)

Im wondering if it still might not be to late to give the game a try? If i choose the Set server will i get to enjoy any pvp at all? Wouldnt it be a poor choice to roll on one of the pvp servers this late in the game? Do you even recommend this game to me?

thanks

so the huge content patch theyve been talking about for almost a year now is being pushed back and he wanted to tell us why - basically they dont have enough developers to put on the project. shocking.

also, the playerbase has dwindled so much that theyre merging all servers.. even EU and US together. oui oui

aaaand, the cherry on top is -  they want to assure us theyre STILL fixing bugs. lol. the AoC mantra since launch: "DONT WORRY WE ARE WORKING ON THE BUGS!"

not sure what there is to be excited about. I played AoC for 9 months and unfortunately if youre a new player such as yourself, you can expect this: 80 levels of SLOW solo quest grinding. Seriously. dont expect to do ANY dungeons until 80. no grouping at all until 80, and then youll run the same few OVER AND OVER AND OVER until u want to vomit on Robert Howard's gravestone. Or better yet - on Funcom's front door.

AoC was Dead on Arrival. These patches are basically like giving orange juice to a terminal cancer patient to assure them they wont get the flu.

• KaosLegionKaosLegion Member UncommonPosts: 79

Not to mention the more recent solo dungeons for leveling right??? Or that if you actually enjoy it enough for a sub you get 1 offline level per 4 days which helps alleviate the end game grind.

Everyone says the first 20 levels are best because of voice over etc etc, by the 3rd time youd wish you could get to the point.

It's free give it a shot!

• ReehayReehay Member Posts: 172
    Originally posted by KaosLegion

Not to mention the more recent solo dungeons for leveling right??? Or that if you actually enjoy it enough for a sub you get 1 offline level per 4 days which helps alleviate the end game grind.

Everyone says the first 20 levels are best because of voice over etc etc, by the 3rd time youd wish you could get to the point.

It's free give it a shot!

haha ya.. tells you something about a game when a PERK of subscribing is you get free levels and skip most of the content. so pay Funcom money so you hurry to max level because ALL THE CONTENT before it is pointless and boring solo gameplay. this huge gameworld is empty of relevancy, and players, so pay us to funnel you to 1% of content so you can replay it over and over.

ya thats solid design...

• KaosLegionKaosLegion Member UncommonPosts: 79
    actually good for alts rather that leveling through the same crap again.
  • WalterWhiteWalterWhite Member UncommonPosts: 411

I suppose each person is different as I found AoC was quite fast to level a character and to go even faster if you are an altoholic, you can get the Tortage Survival Pack which grants every character you make with 100% xp potions which last 12 hours ingame time, but don't rush it as each area is a lot of fun when levelling.

I played at launch and yes, the game has a loy of issues which is why I quit but I kept going back as AoC has a certain appeal and is better than many MMO's around and with it being F2P, it is a game to keep on your HD.

• wihtgarwihtgar Member UncommonPosts: 119

I definitely don't find leveling slow.  It is slower than WoW is now, but certainly faster than WoW was when it launched  (in the Golden Age....).   Getting groups for dungeons while leveling is very hard to do.   Make friends is about all that I can advise.   That said the outdoor quests aren't bad and are fairly easy to do once you get the knack of it.    Low level dungeons aren't that important anymore anyway since leveling is done so quickly.    Within a day or two the gear you get is being replaced by higher level greens.

I would always hit up dungeons in Vanilla WoW because leveling was slow and the gear would last me a few days at least.  But in AoC, I wouldn't bother with it (at least not until you are in your 70s, when the gear you get will be useful in your first 80 lvl dungeons).

• DocBrodyDocBrody Member UncommonPosts: 1,926

there are lots of new players since the recent steam release, they might be in the same boat like you.

Just join a nice guild as early as possible, I did the same when I started in 2012 

also what's better than a MMO which had time to mature and grow.

Most new releases are buggy like hell, lack features and make you feel like a beta tester. 

AoC is now in version 4.1 and had tons of content updates and improvements. Very solid title

• BraindomeBraindome Member UncommonPosts: 959

It isn't too late to enjoy this game AT ALL. The first few hours are actually very story and solo oriented with some run in's with players along the way for pvp or to help just for fun. After the tutorial you will be fine soloing for a while and grouping is really more for stuff you want or just to experience it. The community is very helpful when it is "needed", otherwise you just run around and bump into other people and either quest together or try to cut each others heads off, lol.

As a starting player though I highly recommend the "Tyranny" server, most populated and most "chatty". "Deathwish" is good for an alt when you want more PvP rules and a bit more seasoned and "Set" is for people that don't want world pvp at all "not me" and doesn't give the full experience imho.

The great thing about AoC is how accessible it is and it is quite an underrated gem of an MMO. Does alot of things right that other recent ones have only "tried" to get right.

• DaSpackDaSpack Member UncommonPosts: 589
    Originally posted by Braindome

The great thing about AoC is how accessible it is and it is quite an underrated gem of an MMO. Does alot of things right that other recent ones have only "tried" to get right.

Totally agree to ^

The Ultimate Breakdown