Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How will the economy work?

13»

Comments

• TumblebutzTumblebutz Member UncommonPosts: 322
    Originally posted by TigsKC
    Originally posted by Tumblebutz
    Originally posted by Rocketeer

snip.

snip.

snip.

In terms of PvE loot, I do not care for it.  In the vein of wanting something more and different, I do not want to see any drops other than resources you might expect to find (e.g., hides, teeth, fur) from these bears.  I would not want drops of money, minerals or items of the same types crafter's can make (e.g., MJ's hummingbird and its magical ring).  Make sure the drops are useful so it will have value to the character or resold to someone who can use it.  I would not have "junk" items, but for items for which there is not a ready buyer, I would allow for NPC vendors to buy these items and thereby establishing a base value.

I think using PvE scenarios to encourage more RvR engagement is brilliant.  I would avoid turning this into a standard quest mechanism with its own known rewards, but rather use it to get folks out into the world.  And, maybe instead of just finding Vikings (PCs responding to a similar notice) you find a group of guards and miners (NPCs) beginning to exploit a new silver resource.  The fight ensues and to the winner goes the spoils!

In measured and unpredictable doses, I think this kind of PvE could be great fun and re-enforce the RvR core of the game.  We just want to make sure PvE does not become the focus.

Oh, I like the idea of the NPCs exploiting a resource node!

Emeryc Eightdrakes - Ranger of DragonMyst Keep - Percival

RED IS DEAD!

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317
    I think that Camelot Unchained is going to be a huge failure if they don't have a PvE server.  This game really can't support it's weight with only PvP players because we all know they are a minority, so if this game is going to succeed it better start to change it's direction.

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

• TigsKCTigsKC Member UncommonPosts: 187
    Originally posted by eyelolled
    I think that Camelot Unchained is going to be a huge failure if they don't have a PvE server.  This game really can't support it's weight with only PvP players because we all know they are a minority, so if this game is going to succeed it better start to change it's direction.

Do you know the meaning of the word "niche" or are you disputing there is one for an RvR-centric game?

Diversity is a critical success factor for any environment.  If all games were the same, gaming would die.

• Teh_AxiTeh_Axi Member UncommonPosts: 380

Yeah PvPers a minority . . . on PvE servers . . .

You realize that most MMOs have 50% or more of the servers set to PvP? Or that many MMOs and games in general exist primarily because of PvP aspects? Or that this thread doesnt really have anything to do with PvE or PvP servers?

Normally I wouldnt point this out but for the record, these are rhetorical questions.

• skyexileskyexile Member CommonPosts: 692

success and failure are relative terms.

SKYeXile
    TRF - GM - GW2, PS2, WAR, AION, Rift, WoW, WOT....etc...
    Future Crew - High Council. Planetside 1 & 2.

• LawtoweenLawtoween Member UncommonPosts: 103

Perhaps... JUST PERHAPS... there could be small semi-PvE related components which might still reflect on RvR aspects of the game and would thus be worthy of some coinage.  For instance:

"A small band of Vikings (NPCs) has set up camp in the northern forests of the TDD.  Chase them out!"

This might serve one or more purposes: (1) Develop a kind of standard price for similar tasks, (2) provide opportunities for coinage when RvR action is scarce, (3) spur RvR action as, in the case of my example, both TDD and Vikings might be notified of the Viking settlement and be encouraged to participate in the battle... maybe Albion, too!

Just a thought...

This could be turned to RvR very easily by having NPCs in the safe zone that provide rough locations of newly spawned resource deposits, or new "settlements" by the enemy.

Example 1.  An NPC miner has just returned from a gold strike where he was chased off by a group of (insert enemy realm) bandits who are now exploiting it.  The characters acting on this information go out and locate the group of enemy NPCs, but by killing them they create death spam for the other realm, possibly drawing in a fight.

Example 2.   The PCs above establish a mine on the newly spawned bubble and no enemies notice the death spam.  After a period of time an NPC appears in the enemy realm's safe zone.  It is one of the "bandits" who had been off at a distance and escaped the encounter and provides the location of the new mine.

Example 3.  An NPC in realm 3's safe zone has been out scouting the war torn areas and can report that the other two realms have been squabbling over a particular area located at the site of ex. 1, which must have something of interest in it.

You could also have NPCs that offer intel on defensive structures that are newly under construction, etc.  That way the world would always be a dangerous place.

Lawt

• TumblebutzTumblebutz Member UncommonPosts: 322
    Originally posted by Lawtoween

snip

This could be turned to RvR very easily by having NPCs in the safe zone that provide rough locations of newly spawned resource deposits, or new "settlements" by the enemy.

Example 1.  An NPC miner has just returned from a gold strike where he was chased off by a group of (insert enemy realm) bandits who are now exploiting it.  The characters acting on this information go out and locate the group of enemy NPCs, but by killing them they create death spam for the other realm, possibly drawing in a fight.

Example 2.   The PCs above establish a mine on the newly spawned bubble and no enemies notice the death spam.  After a period of time an NPC appears in the enemy realm's safe zone.  It is one of the "bandits" who had been off at a distance and escaped the encounter and provides the location of the new mine.

Example 3.  An NPC in realm 3's safe zone has been out scouting the war torn areas and can report that the other two realms have been squabbling over a particular area located at the site of ex. 1, which must have something of interest in it.

You could also have NPCs that offer intel on defensive structures that are newly under construction, etc.  That way the world would always be a dangerous place.

Lawt

Interesting... as long as it doesn't become an in-game map with flames and crossed swords and flashing sirens that indicate where battle is.  That would be a game breaker.

I'd also caution against the NPCs doing too much a the Scout Archetype's job.

That said, what if you, as the aggressor, could actually chase down and catch the NPC before it reaches its keep to raise the alarm...

Emeryc Eightdrakes - Ranger of DragonMyst Keep - Percival

RED IS DEAD!

• LawtoweenLawtoween Member UncommonPosts: 103
    Originally posted by Lawtoween

snip

Interesting... as long as it doesn't become an in-game map with flames and crossed swords and flashing sirens that indicate where battle is.  That would be a game breaker.

I'd also caution against the NPCs doing too much a the Scout Archetype's job.

That said, what if you, as the aggressor, could actually chase down and catch the NPC before it reaches its keep to raise the alarm...

I was thinking along the lines of the name of the zone, and maybe a nearby landmark from the map that comes with the game.  I'm hoping any in game map will not show the player where they are in the zone, only the landmarks and the layout of the zone.

True, it couldn't be used for mobile targets or it would ruin scouting.  I was really thinking of it being the way CSE could give the underdog realm an edge in locating new resource bubbles, but with a bit of risk added in.

By safe area, I was thinking the capital city safe zone.  Also, I would hope to see several different implementations, maybe some would have the enemy NPCs scatter as soon as players arrive.  They could go to raise the alarm for players of the realm to which they had allegiance, each running off in a different direction.  Or they could stand and fight which creates death spam, with an unseen member that escapes (my previous example).  Or they could run as a group and the players could prevent them from reaching the enemy.  The exact option could be based on how badly the realm needs the resource, if they are severely underdogs, maybe there would only be a single NPC waiting to be killed, so they will know where to start digging.  I'm assuming, of course, that the location of resource bubbles will not have some sort of large flashing billboard type markers screaming "Come get rich here!"

For the purests reading this thread, I apologize for getting so far off topic.

Lawt