Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Neverwinter performance scaling: doesn't need much of a video card, but does need a stronger CPU th

QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,347

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/neverwinter-performance-benchmark,3495-8.html

Basically, they took the game engine of Champions Online and Star Trek Online that tried to do way too much on the CPU rather than offloading it to the GPU and then made it do even more on the CPU, likely just by having to draw more stuff without changing the engine itself much.  And they did that without making it scale well to many CPU cores.  Oops.

Comments

• DibdabsDibdabs Member RarePosts: 3,203
    I am using an old dual-core and there's no problems at all.  Is it PCs with more cores than that having issues?
  • DeniZgDeniZg Member UncommonPosts: 697

My old Intel e5200 with Ati4850 can run this around 25FPS at close to maximum settings, with 1680*1050 rez. Drops to 15-20 in the city.  My i5-3470 with AMD 7850 runs this at 1080p, absolute max setting, without any drops below 60FPS, anywhere.

It's a common fact that all MMORPG's are CPU heavy. GW2 is even worse, which on the other hand is understandable, due to more people on screen/map and better graphics.

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

well i have an i7 2700k @ 4.5ghz, Geforce 670OC, 16gb ram and have 0 issues at all game runs smooth as anything.. thinking about it so did Champions online and STO with my older system.. its not like these are graphically demanding games they are pretty basic graphics wise..

• expressoexpresso Member UncommonPosts: 2,218
    I did find NWN stress my CPU (i5) like few games have, I have my CPU temp hooked up to an LED that changes colour based on how hot it is, blue is under 40°C orange over 40°C and red over 55°C - for most games like Farcry 3, Tribes, Starcraft it stays in the orange but NWN it goes to RED and stays there, it stay around the 59-61°C mark (70°c is limit for i5).
  • NL-RikkertNL-Rikkert Member UncommonPosts: 134
    Originally posted by Quizzical

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/neverwinter-performance-benchmark,3495-8.html

Basically, they took the game engine of Champions Online and Star Trek Online that tried to do way too much on the CPU rather than offloading it to the GPU and then made it do even more on the CPU, likely just by having to draw more stuff without changing the engine itself much.  And they did that without making it scale well to many CPU cores.  Oops.

Could you post your PCs specs?

Ran it on the following system and only had issues with all options on highest in extremely crowded places (like NeverWinter city), though scaling down stuff like shadows made it run perfectly smooth yet again. I am quite certain this will only be during beta though, as players level up they will undoubtably be more spread out through the world.

CPU: Pentium(R) Dual-Core  CPU E5700  @ 3.00GHz 

RAM: 4096MB RAM

GPU: ASUS EAH5570 series (1GB)

The following are the recommended system requirements as seen on the official website:

Recommended System Requirements:

OS: Windows® XP SP3, Windows Vista SP 2, Windows® 7 or Windows 8 

Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo 2.8GHz 

Memory: 2GB RAM 

Video: GeForce 8800 or ATI Radeon HD 2900GT (512MB+)

STOOPID
    When someone does something so utterly moronic that it kills your brain cells at the very thought of it.

• birdycephonbirdycephon Member UncommonPosts: 1,314
    More powerful CPU than is commercially available? Youve got to be joking.
  • spladianspladian Member UncommonPosts: 20

i7 2600k @ 4.7

8gb pc1600 ram

titan sli @ 1124

3240x1920 resolution - Max settings

game runs ~40-50fps in the city,  60+ out in the maps, 80+ in dungeons.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    6300fx

Pretty much locked at 60fps, my monitors refresh rate.

Maybe drops to 50 or so in very big crowds

Running on full settings at 1080p with a 7950 and 8gb RAM.
    Expresso

Those temps are too hot for a cpu, check your air cooling / thermal compound etc..

Cpu shouldn't go above 50 really.
  • MadDemon64MadDemon64 Member UncommonPosts: 1,102

Performancewise, if you can play MMOs like TERA or GW2, you can play NW.

The end.

Since when is Tuesday a direction?

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    Originally posted by Dibdabs
    I am using an old dual-core and there's no problems at all.  Is it PCs with more cores than that having issues?

I am on a quad core and it runs at 90fps at max settings. Are people actually having issues with this game? Runs as smooth as butter on my 1 year old computer.

• spikers14spikers14 Member UncommonPosts: 531

"The platform bottleneck is painfully evident. Though, since all of these graphics cards achieve at least 40 FPS, the result is fine."

"The CPU bottleneck is crystal clear on the frame rate over time chart."

"There are no frame time variances of note in this group of hardware."

The article mentions a bottleneck, which every program in the world has (hardware-wise). Whether that is HDD, GFX, CPU, or RAM. The tests were run on (more or less) conventional processors, so I'm not sure how the OP's claim is supported given the Tom's Hardware article.

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424

My laptop I'm using right now is a dinosaur, but it handles well in Neverwinter.  I can run around with 100% resolution (or whatever the first scrolly bar is, as long as you turn shadows off and there isn't smokey or firey textures.  This computer's never done well with alot of smoke or fire in any game...

CPU:  AMD Phenom II N850 Triple-Core Processor 2.2GHz

RAM: 4 GB

GPU: AMD M880G with ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4250

I run it on default settings except i turned off shadows, which I do in just about every game.  I have no clue what FPS I get, but it doesn't seem to be noticeable

Edit: I just bought a new laptop, waiting for it to come.  I can't wait to put it through it's paces haha :)

• fascismfascism Member UncommonPosts: 428
    lol
  • botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363

Sounds like the game is on GPU optimized yet - just hang on. That usually happens in beta testing.

With the graphics of this game, I am surprised it stresses any current CPU as the graphics are garbage.

• dotdotdashdotdotdash Member UncommonPosts: 488

Originally posted by ShakyMo
    ExpressoThose temps are too hot for a cpu, check your air cooling / thermal compound etc..Cpu shouldn't go above 50 really.

No.

• MhakMhak Member Posts: 3
    That's weird, I'm using a lower-end quad core CPU and have had 0 CPU lag. Occasionally some shuttering or load times but overall I was actually a little impressed with Neverwinter's performance considering it's graphics. It's not amazing but it's at least average, wouldn't complain about it.
  • MibletMiblet Member Posts: 333
    Expresso

Those temps are too hot for a cpu, check your air cooling / thermal compound etc..

Cpu shouldn't go above 50 really.

Those temps for an i5 chip are well within spec.

Now if he was saying it goes well above 50c when idle then there may be cause for concern but at those temps under load he is fine.

Saying CPUs shouldn't go above 50c at load is just flat out tosh.  Yes. it's great to have them under 50c at load but 70c wouldn't kill a CPU in the realistic lifespan of a computer.

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916

Game runs smooth as butter on my rig, but that's to be expected with a water-cooled i7-3770, nVidia GTX 680 and 16Gb of RAM.

However, I've noticed that in heavily populated areas (altar of the gods in Neverwinter city), the game often draws NPC's as generic placeholder shapes when the player count is high. And by "high", I mean 25 or so... I'm running at max gfx settings, so I don't believe this is caused by my ingame settings ?

• dotdotdashdotdotdash Member UncommonPosts: 488

Originally posted by botrytis
    Sounds like the game is on GPU optimized yet - just hang on. That usually happens in beta testing.

With the graphics of this game, I am surprised it stresses any current CPU as the graphics are garbage.

The point is that the game - like most MMOs - does the majority of the crunching on the CPU. It has little to do with the quality of the graphics, and more to do with the volume of data being processed live and on the fly. It's got a lot to do with server-client interactions.

The problem is that there's a lot of data to crunch and a lot to display on the screen, so offloading that crunching onto the GPU isn't really an option (especially if you're targeting mid to low end machines, which most MMOs do).

I mean... they could of course put the effort in and have it switch between CPU heavy or GPU heavy processing based on the system specifications of the machine being used, but that's a bitch to optimise in the long term. Where that sort of set up might work internally, in the wild things are very different.

Obviously over time things will get better, but the efforts will be to optimise the process already in place; it's doubtful they'll change it.

• Balkin31Balkin31 Member UncommonPosts: 224

Wow that's really interesting, so people with CTD CPU's less than 3.0ghz are most likely really hurting and older AMD chip players must really be hurting.

I hope they get some good feedback and fix the bottleneck that this game so clearly has with CPU's!!

The game uses 3 threads

If your on a dual core it will be slow.
    Constant 50deg + while running a game

Especially with an i5

Is a cooling problem!

You should only get those sort of temps when you put it under a program specifically designed to test it.

I run several cpu intensive games (e.g ps2, civ 5), I have an normal sized after market air cooler. I never go above 35 or so apart from when I ran a stress test to test my system.

How else do you explain my stead 60fps with a 6300fx, where as the faster I5 was acting sluggish. TEMPERATURES. Intel stock coolers are known to be underwhelming.

50 for a gpu is normal though.
  • MibletMiblet Member Posts: 333
    Constant 50deg + while running a game

Especially with an i5

Is a cooling problem!

You should only get those sort of temps when you put it under a program specifically designed to test it.

I run several cpu intensive games (e.g ps2, civ 5), I have an normal sized after market air cooler. I never go above 35 or so apart from when I ran a stress test to test my system.

How else do you explain my stead 60fps with a 6300fx, where as the faster I5 was acting sluggish. TEMPERATURES. Intel stock coolers are known to be underwhelming.

50 for a gpu is normal though.

50-60c for an i5 is well within spec. when under load.  There will be no damage sustained from this temperature range within the time you will use it (it will likely die long after it has become obselete).

If your i5 was running sluggishly at that range then you should have sent it back, it was likely faulty, or another part of your system was.  It happens.  Most stock coolers are underwhelming, not just intel, AMDs are far from perfect and if you can afford to purchase a CPU at that price range it seems a bit silly to not spend a little more for better cooling.

For an i5 idle temps of low 30s to low 40s are fine (depending on ambient temp and air flow in case), load temps are fine to 70-75c, obviously lower is better as it allows more head room for when temperatures rise.  Within these temperature ranges your CPU won't die to temp until it has become obselete from the temperature.  Intel even have the safe running temp of i5s at tcase 67.8c.  To say that anything above 50c at load is damaging is merely misinformation.

Constantly above 50 isn't normal