Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[General Article] Neverwinter: Beta Diary #2

Comments

• hfamgamerhfamgamer Member UncommonPosts: 64
    Originally posted by Torvaldr
    Originally posted by JudgeUK
    Originally posted by elocke

I've been having a blast on my Control Wizard.  The "on rails" aspect of the game is softened I think by the fact that it is free to play.  If this required a sub I'd be a bit miffed, but I can just log in and follow the rails for awhile and have fun without worrying about payments and such. 

I'm only level 24 but just combat alone is making me want to play over other games right now.  I like the diversity in choosing which skills best suit my play style and and where to put feat points and power points.  It feels fairly flexible although I'm dreading the respec cost when I hit cap as I hear it's based on Zen or Astral Diamonds instead of in game gold.  Not a good thing, that.

Love the sound design, too.  Certain spells, especially the dailies really pack that visceral punch many other games lack.  My only negative comment on the sound would be the over usage of what seems to be the exact same music I've heard in Star Trek Online and Champions Online.  More music diversity would be great.

Protectors Enclave music - hits of Pirates of the Caribbean? 

I heard that too.  I'm not imagining things then.

Hell I thought the music in Tower District had a slight Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome ring to it

• Ubel12Ubel12 Member UncommonPosts: 153
    Originally posted by winter
    Originally posted by spikers14

One of the major talking points has been missed out:

Foundry xp.

Some players have been farming the Foundry for days, leveling pretty fast. Now the Foundry xp has been nerfed through the floor leaving other players on the slow quest grind, whilst the Foundry farmers have got to a lot higher level, and even capped.

So now we are faced with the have and have nots. Those who are doing the T1/T2 dungeons, loads of AD and money, compared with the non-farmers who are stuck in the grind.

PWE should have checked the Foundry xp long before open beta (with no character wipe). Now, however they have created this two tier player base.

This comment is a little extreme.  I did foundry quests today and didn't notice much change in XP...and again...I'm outleveling questing zones due to the XP gain in Foundry. I wouldn't say Foundry XP is nerfed "through the floor". Playing casually since the 30th, I am already lvl 45. Leveling is REALLY fast, no matter what path you take (and I'm a DC with a focus on healing mind you). The margin between the "haves" and "have-nots" will be extremely slim, if not unnoticeable by a regular player. 

edit: spellcheck

I did a couple just before the foundry change when I was at lvl 40, got through two levels hitting stationary Ogres in around 15 mins probably less, together with all the item and money drops. Checked the same after. I'd say it was around 80% reduced checking the xp numbers I'd noted down.

Another guild player calculated it at 85% from his figures.

Hummm, you got 2 lvls (from 40 to 42?) doing a 15 mins foundry quests where stationary ogres stood around and let you beat on them? Wouldn't you say thats something that needed to be nerfed about 85%.

Understandably many players seek the fastest and easiest way to level even if it is the most bland and mind numbingly boring way. (repeat exploit quest till eyes bleed.)  Those same players will make it to max level in record time quit and complain how boring the game was because of the way they chose to play it. Its Cryptics fault in of course if they allow it to happen.

Yep! You said it Brother! They exploit to make it to level 60 in record time, and then whine and bitch because the xp got nerfed 85%. That leaves us non-exploiters on the side. We are the ones that actually read the dialog and enjoy the experience. If I ran upon a quest where elite mobs just stood there, and there was no story or anything challenging I would leave that quest asap. It is just unfortunate that there are people out there that would make an exploitable quest, and unfortunate that other players would use it. I will enjoy this games story, and I will enjoy genuine foundry quests. You hit the nail on the head with your post my friend!

• nolic1nolic1 Member UncommonPosts: 716

I like the game I just wish people understood the tank and cleric class more the cleric is not and I do mean not a healer they are a class that midigate's damage and has some heals yes but not enough to keep players alive they need to use pots for that. As for tanking its not hard you have to be in guard mode which means shield up and you stand there blocking using the attacks you get from it and you build agro based on that if you remember to mark the target which you have tab them to mark and then you have your group mark skill which you can use if you pump alot into guard feats then you can keep agro all day but other wise you cant tank if you dont block and attack.

The games fun minus the lame ogre farms in the foundry the other quests that I mostly do there are a mix of story adventure and combat and those can be fun and challenging even the group ones that are player made are fun. The only thing that bugged me was guild bank needing 150k AD to open that seems a bit high for what you get its not enough daily cause still can not get 24k a day at 45 maybe 13 to 15k max but you have to log in every hour to get the gods bonus stuff other then that you can get about 7k running all the daily AD stuff. That games fun though and challenging in dungeons and skirmishes I just hope at 60 all dungeons become open cause some I missed do to how fast you lvl.

Sherman's Gaming

Youtube Content creator for The Elder Scrolls Online

Channel:http://https//www.youtube.com/channel/UCrgYNgpFTRAl4XWz31o2emw

• BMBenderBMBender Member UncommonPosts: 827

Foundry xp.

Some players have been farming the Foundry for days, leveling pretty fast. Now the Foundry xp has been nerfed through the floor leaving other players on the slow quest grind, whilst the Foundry farmers have got to a lot higher level, and even capped.

So now we are faced with the have and have nots. Those who are doing the T1/T2 dungeons, loads of AD and money, compared with the non-farmers who are stuck in the grind.

PWE should have checked the Foundry xp long before open beta (with no character wipe). Now, however they have created this two tier player base.

This comment is a little extreme.  I did foundry quests today and didn't notice much change in XP...and again...I'm outleveling questing zones due to the XP gain in Foundry. I wouldn't say Foundry XP is nerfed "through the floor". Playing casually since the 30th, I am already lvl 45. Leveling is REALLY fast, no matter what path you take (and I'm a DC with a focus on healing mind you). The margin between the "haves" and "have-nots" will be extremely slim, if not unnoticeable by a regular player. 

I did a couple just before the foundry change when I was at lvl 40, got through two levels hitting stationary Ogres in around 15 mins probably less, together with all the item and money drops. Checked the same after. I'd say it was around 80% reduced checking the xp numbers I'd noted down.

Hummm, you got 2 lvls (from 40 to 42?) doing a 15 mins foundry quests where stationary ogres stood around and let you beat on them? Wouldn't you say thats something that needed to be nerfed about 85%.

Understandably many players seek the fastest and easiest way to level even if it is the most bland and mind numbingly boring way. (repeat exploit quest till eyes bleed.)  Those same players will make it to max level in record time quit and complain how boring the game was because of the way they chose to play it. Its Cryptics fault in of course if they allow it to happen.

Of course it needed revising. The issue is that something so obvious was there in the first place.  There has been talk of a penalty against people who spent all day farming it. But how on earth would they do that? Some people where in full time, some less, some missed it altogether.

It is these kind of obvious issues that games developers should be catching way before giving access to  the player base. Because once it has happened there are only limited choices - ignore or roll back.

The funny part is foundry authors did the same thing in STO.several times over the years.  One would think a memo would get sent out.  As far as Game dev catching it that's QA's job and Cryptic doesn't utilize a true QA dept.  Prob another reason for the "soft" launch, welcome to the Qa dept.

• elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335
    Originally posted by hfamgamer
    Originally posted by elocke

I've been having a blast on my Control Wizard.  The "on rails" aspect of the game is softened I think by the fact that it is free to play.  If this required a sub I'd be a bit miffed, but I can just log in and follow the rails for awhile and have fun without worrying about payments and such. 

I'm only level 24 but just combat alone is making me want to play over other games right now.  I like the diversity in choosing which skills best suit my play style and and where to put feat points and power points.  It feels fairly flexible although I'm dreading the respec cost when I hit cap as I hear it's based on Zen or Astral Diamonds instead of in game gold.  Not a good thing, that.

Love the sound design, too.  Certain spells, especially the dailies really pack that visceral punch many other games lack.  My only negative comment on the sound would be the over usage of what seems to be the exact same music I've heard in Star Trek Online and Champions Online.  More music diversity would be great.

Protectors Enclave music - hits of Pirates of the Caribbean? 

I heard that too.  I'm not imagining things then.

Hell I thought the music in Tower District had a slight Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome ring to it

Don't get me wrong, there are moments where the music catches my ear and yeah, one time fighting a pirate boss it sounded like I was in a Pirates of the Caribbean movie, but the usage of music from another game annoys me.  Mainly the title screen sounds exactly like STOs.

• ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092
    Originally posted by Po_gg
    Originally posted by Ghavrigg
    Originally posted by Reizla

Questing DOES NOT give the majority of the XP in the game - PvP does.

I actually just figured this out. I hit 10, joined Domination PvP, and I got over an entire level for winning.

+1... I mostly never pvp in games (managed to avoid it in closed beta NW as well), so I was very much surprised when the questline queued me up on pvp at lvl10 (btw not a friendly pull, Cryptic :) ).

We've lost (1000-970), I was the second (surrounded by 1,3,4,5 from the other team), and I almost jumped to lvl11... after 15 minutes. So it's an obvious decision for me to avoid that pvp quest with the other characters, leveling is way too fast in NW even without the pvp boost.

And Reizla's right about the gear aspect, I only got an unidentified common one, and not even for my class of course :)

Higher up you get better gear. The last match I was in I even had a blue (not my class) hat.

• BattlerockBattlerock Member CommonPosts: 1,393
    I cant help but notice some of the comments here. I really would recommend to some of you to try out single player rpgs. I see a comment about haves and have nots. You know that is the exact reason I dont like f2p format. There ars haves and have nots in the real world and the f2p allows that translation to freely occur in my little fake make believe online worlds.

There are still going to be haves and have nots without the f2p format, but at least I know those people earned it and didn't just buy it with Daddy's money.

I think alot of the problem with mmos and keeping numbers up is that some people dont like being left in the dust so they just move on. People look around and see all the haves in thier make believe feel good worlds and it becomes less of a feel good place and more of a same old thing and perhaps more of like thd real world were we clearly have haves and have nots.

Neverwinter looks like a great game, if you told me I could drop $40 on it and never have to buy anything again until perhaps maybe an expansion came I would probably play. I would have to zone everyone out so I wouldnt be looking at haves and have nots and really sort of play the game as a solo player in random groups, enjoying and completing content at my pace without acknowledging all those haves and have nots surrounding me. Unfortunately that attitude sort of defeats the purpose of an mmorpg and thus we go back to perhaps you should be looking at single player rpgs.

Originally posted by nolic1 I like the game I just wish people understood the tank and cleric class more the cleric is not and I do mean not a healer they are a class that midigate's damage and has some heals yes but not enough to keep players alive they need to use pots for that. As for tanking its not hard you have to be in guard mode which means shield up and you stand there blocking using the attacks you get from it and you build agro based on that if you remember to mark the target which you have tab them to mark and then you have your group mark skill which you can use if you pump alot into guard feats then you can keep agro all day but other wise you cant tank if you dont block and attack.  

Tank a cleric is a co-op in Neverwinter actually. Indeed, cleric is not the uberhealer you know from other MMORPGs, but if played and spec'd well, you can do a hell of a job keeping your party alive. That is if the tank keeps the aggro from the mobs on himself.
    Also worth to note is that starting at 30-35 you get a lot of temp-HP options at your disposal. With this you can boost the HP of your party for a short time to prevent actual damage in the end. I even have a default daily skill always set that gives about 25% temp HP for a 'longer period of time' (no time said, but it looks like 30 seconds). This skill is awesome and I trigger it always at the bigger fights and use healing as backup then...

Originally posted by nolic1 The only thing that bugged me was guild bank needing 150k AD to open that seems a bit high for what you get its not enough daily cause still can not get 24k a day at 45 maybe 13 to 15k max but you have to log in every hour to get the gods bonus stuff other then that you can get about 7k running all the daily AD stuff. That games fun though and challenging in dungeons and skirmishes I just hope at 60 all dungeons become open cause some I missed do to how fast you lvl.

I agree with you there. I used 150K from my founder package to kickstart the guild-bank. But I noticed that at level 30 I already had raised the 150K AD through the game itself.

Aside from the 150K I used for the guild-bank, I'm not touching the AD I had from my founder package, just to proof the whiners wrong about the Pay2Win aspect of Neverwinter. At this moment (lvl 42) I have 220K AD already...

• PlageronPlageron Member Posts: 109

Yes it is a fun game.  Though it has its little quirks and issues.  

I found the game play to be a bit short, and it took me about 2 weeks to level up to maximum level with just playing casual.

I find that the classes have some mechanical flaws in them...that cause them some issues.

Like the latest article talking about tanks, well the fact is for example the power called unstoppable just doesn't make the great weapon fighter unstoppable....plus they don't have the health and the armor in the game doesn't seam to do much.

The bosses in the dungeons are not that hard....what makes it hard is you have idiot players. 

There are way too many players who spec themselves for damage or healing with no survivability put in....so they die a lot.  Its neat they can do tons of damage but they cant survive onslaughts of imps...which is kind of sad.

• monkeypawsmonkeypaws Member Posts: 18

I'm probably in the minority but I hate that the game is a Monty Hall game. The most feeble mob drops items that have to be identified. Two bags can get filled with green items very quickly and you are changing out your gear every level or two. Once you hit the mid teens you are doing content that is a level or two higher than you are so get items that you can't use for a level or two. Why even bother with removing enchantments when you have so many of them and are replacing your armor & accessories so often you have a surplus of everything? Also...many times the final quest reward is not actually better than what you might have picked up as loot.

Don't get me wrong. I enjoy loot...there was nothing better than the thunk of a chest dropping in EQ2...which was random and not on every single mob. What Neverwinter does takes the fun completely out of it.

• Scott_JeslisScott_Jeslis Member RarePosts: 628

Good review Suzie.  I have to poke at a point you made about questing.  I agree the questing is rote, but I don't see how it's not traditional mmo questing and how the quest style is more "arpg".  It is the exact same quest style as LotRO, for example, and that is considered a "real" mmo.

What does "real mmo" mean?  How are arpg quests different than mmo quests?  I feel like you threw those ideas out there to try and illustrate a point, but I feel it's not a very accurate portrayal.

I agree here, this confused me as well.

I'm loving some of the quests themselves, tons of loot, cool bosses and pretty colors/graphics, e.g. "Plague Of The Tower" with Rhazzad... was awesome in my mind.

• Scott_JeslisScott_Jeslis Member RarePosts: 628
    Originally posted by Plageron

I found the game play to be a bit short, and it took me about 2 weeks to level up to maximum level with just playing casual.

@Plageron: what's your definition of "casual". I play 1-1.5 hrs a day... I call that "casual" and I'm only level 20. Two weeks and max level? Sounds like 4 hrs a day???

Originally posted by Benbrada

@Plageron: what's your definition of "casual". I play 1-1.5 hrs a day... I call that "casual" and I'm only level 20. Two weeks and max level? Sounds like 4 hrs a day???

Playing around 4h a day and I'm only level 42 so far. Started playing on April 27th, so that means I'm more than a bit casual than most players..?

• furbansfurbans Member UncommonPosts: 968

Then you are more casual than casual than casual.  One can easily hit lvl 20 w/in a couple of hours.

• AwDiddumsAwDiddums Member UncommonPosts: 416

Foundry xp.

Of course it needed revising. The issue is that something so obvious was there in the first place.  There has been talk of a penalty against people who spent all day farming it. But how on earth would they do that? Some people where in full time, some less, some missed it altogether.

It is these kind of obvious issues that games developers should be catching way before giving access to  the player base. Because once it has happened there are only limited choices - ignore or roll back.

What also needed to happen was for those using that Foundry quest to be slapped with a temp ban followed by a perma ban if they continued to exploit the game, pleading ignorance or blaming the games code for allowing it is not a defence. Players who use these to advance quickly know only too well what they are doing is wrong, your gut tells you it's wrong.

It's sad to see players complaining Foundry exp/loot is nerfed, they then give an example as shown above why they know it's been nerfed, and they wonder why on earth other players are getting a little bit miffed with them.

• RazeeksterRazeekster Member UncommonPosts: 2,591
    This game is extremely boring and generic. I found myself skipping through the dialog eventually even though it's voice-acted simply because it was so boring and badly done. I honestly wouldn't suggest this to any D&D or/and Neverwinter fans. 

Smile

• TheMaelstromTheMaelstrom Member UncommonPosts: 393
    Originally posted by furbans

Then you are more casual than casual than casual.  One can easily hit lvl 20 w/in a couple of hours.

20 in a couple of hours? How so? Just the running back and forth thru the city between quests takes up a lot of time.

Seriously... if you can hit 20 in a couple hours, I wanna know how.

No godless person can comprehend those minute distinctions
    in doctrine that provide true believers excuse for mayhem.
    -Glen Cook

• AtmaDarkwolfAtmaDarkwolf Member UncommonPosts: 353

have to agree, except being 60 now, i find that the quests far outstrip your levels (I was 60 before i was even finished the lv 50 area) and i never dipped into the foundries, or pvp much (if any) before 60. Hell i hardly got a chance to do any of the dungeons since very often i was over level by the time i got the quest(And u can queue up for them early but it kills the lore when u see the 'end' before u even start the story... kinda like reading the last page of a book before u start it)

But I do have to say, at least from 1-60 on your first playthough, with some time wasted in pvp, its definatly worth it. At endgame its all about queueing up for dungeons so u can earn gear that allows you to queue up for epic versions of the same dungeons.... so really, endgame is bleh at best. I don't see much after that.

• AtmaDarkwolfAtmaDarkwolf Member UncommonPosts: 353
    Originally posted by TheMaelstrom
    Originally posted by furbans

20 in a couple of hours? How so? Just the running back and forth thru the city between quests takes up a lot of time.

Seriously... if you can hit 20 in a couple hours, I wanna know how.

On this note, I've ONLY done the quests/storyline stuff, and I hit 60 in less than a week with, idk 3-4 hrs max a day. If I was to 'grind' xp I know i could hit 60 in a day of solid play easy.

• n00bitn00bit Member UncommonPosts: 345

I went 30-60 in about 4 hours with a custom-made Foundry map before the nerf. Nothing is impossible!

• DraemosDraemos Member UncommonPosts: 1,521
    Originally posted by dasX82
    "Where my Guardian was in front tanking,", Maybe this was you, because tank in this game seems useless but for the last boss. It is one of the biggest issues in this game.

As a endgame TR doing Tier 2 epic dungeons, let me say that having a GF in the group makes things infinitely easier.

If you can keep aggro on the big dangerous mobs, your pulling your weight and letting your DPS do work without spending 75% of their time kiting and dodging cleaves.
  • rommellorommello Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 185
    Originally posted by dasX82
    "Where my Guardian was in front tanking,", Maybe this was you, because tank in this game seems useless but for the last boss. It is one of the biggest issues in this game.

Should be more like "When the army of mobs forget party exists and chases cleric who runs for his life"

Also a hardcore player can reach max level in around 20 hours or less, while a casual would make progress infinitely slower compared to that & think of it as myth

This combined with astral diamond prices for things...well i guess it works out if majority playerbase r hardcore but really thats quite a rare thing to happen for a game

hallo ~_~

• DraemosDraemos Member UncommonPosts: 1,521
    If Neverwinters questing system is more action RPg than MMO, then almost every MMO has action RPg questing.  Cause they almost all use the same damn system.  
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

I will follow the same guide and comment on the three.

Combat: I happen to also be playing a Guardian and i agree party or go home lol.I realize i am suppose to be a Tank but really at level 18 i have almost no hate control.Only the one Aoe looks like it really works.Fights are a mess,i much prefer single battle fights that have a lot of active and reactive battle ideas.In a party the high dps just kill pretty fast while i am standing there sort of like a useless Tank.

My guardian is rather weak,he does grab aggro decent with the one aoe aggro ability but after that i am left with nothing.The way quests are done,you can use that one aoe aggro then the very next wave arrives and you have nothing to control the battle.It ends up every battle is pretty much a sloppy mess of zergs.

The CHOICE of your combat abilities is extremely limited,they are so limited,they could have just given them to you at each level.The shield seemed ok at very low level but soon i got around 12+ the shield does nothing except block,which is ok.The heal i get as Guardian is really a waste of time,our dps is so low and it moves you up so slow,you are just better off using a heal pot.Basically it is not effective,nothing like playing Shadowknight in EQ2,which has several heals and they matter.

Quests: Well as far as all games go they do a good job,but they are still linear designed to level you along.They do get boring but of course is like that in all games.I have to say the Foundry changes nothing,it does not add anything to the game,just a reason to entice players that want to make their own quest.I have had a few bugs/error crashes.One for example the Auction house quest locked my game right up.

The descriptions in the quests are usually imo really bad,i was pretty much always lost,so i just joined the crowd and followed the sparkling paths.With such poor dialogue and information,you could hardly say any of them add any story or Lore to the game.

Aesthetics:They look good but make no mistake they are low end graphics,i did not notice any lighting effects,not even on my player.They reuse the same building mesh over and over and all through the game.They do clutter maps so much you might not even notice though.The mention of the sky,well i think you should look again,they actually did a very poor job.I don't remember them all but i am looking at one right now that doesn't even move and doesn't even look like a sky box.It looks more like a simple texture pasted on the top of the ceiling.There is actually a lot you can do with a skybox,including effects and multi layers,this game does none of it.

I will say that overall it looks good but the cities just are really bad.In the city it looks like a big huge mess of clutter.No way can i navigate it at all,again i end up following the sparkly paths.There really is no need for so many buildings all together and so many meaningless npcs.

Overall the game does a good job for F2p,i have not spent a dime and i can play the game just fine.I have heard from others it changes a lot later but i can't comment myself on that.Is it worth to spend money on the game?I think not really,i wouldn't anyhow.

So there imo is how you score a game.Since i would not pay to play it,it can't receive anymore than maybe a playable 6.A 7 is reserved for a decent subscription game but still lacking.No game on the market is worthy of anymore than a 8,no way,far too many missing components,lack of tech,generic game play,no creativity, ect ect.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Originally posted by Reizla
    Originally posted by Ghavrigg
    I find it funny that you pointed out how questing gives the majority of xp. Seems like since 2004 this has been the case with most MMO's released that weren't generic asian turds.

Questing DOES NOT give the majority of the XP in the game - PvP does.

Doing a quest I'm busy on an average of 10 minutes, while a PvP session takes 15 minutes. A Quest gives around 1500-2000 XP including all mobs while PvP gives me already 5000-6000 XP per session (both at level 40-42)

Only downside of  PvP is that you won't get gear aside from one piece as reward if you did your best and the daily AD allowance (which you might use to buy gear from the AH, though I advice against it with the prices there), while you do get tokens for lvl 60 gear.

If one really wants to level up cheap and fast, PvP is the way to go, but you don't get to know the game that well then ;)

Well if you don't care one bit about PVP ,then what ?It is a questing game as MANY do not care about pvp.Matter of fact i have no care to even do the PVP quest sitting in my Journal,i need to abandon it i guess.

Really i would hope peopeleare playing for the FUN,in that case how FAST you get xp really should not matter.

If your fun is PVP,well then i guess you get a bonus if leveling is your gig.For others questing is it,and for others just romping around with other people is the fun and some just enjoy playing their character and combat.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.