Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Thoughts on this comp for ffxiv

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883258024

Could I do any better for a 1000$ limit without having to build my own pc?

Comments

• SavageHorizonSavageHorizon ParisPosts: 2,297Member Uncommon
    Seems okay.

Coolermaster Cosmos II Case
    Corsair AX1200W Modular PSU
    Intel Core i7 3970X OC 4.50GHz
    Asus P9X79 PRO Intel X7
    16GB (4x4GB) DDR3 PC3-1866MHz
    840 Series 250GB SSDs
    Seagate Barracuda 2TB HDDs
    EVGA SuperClocked GTX TITAN 6GB GDDR5 SLi

• PreparedPrepared Irvine, CAPosts: 101Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Deleted User

Looks pretty good to play FFXIV to me.  The only bad thing is Windows 8 but you can get to the desktop, just no start menu.  Microsoft dropped the ball on that Operating System (OS) but they usually release a bad OS every 2 OS releases any way.

• YaevinduskYaevindusk Ul''dah, CAPosts: 1,719Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Prepared
    Originally posted by Deleted User

Looks pretty good to play FFXIV to me.  The only bad thing is Windows 8 but you can get to the desktop, just no start menu.  Microsoft dropped the ball on that Operating System (OS) but they usually release a bad OS every 2 OS releases any way.

Windows 8 is an excellent operating system.  You just have to relearn some things, and most aren't as tech savy as they claim to be.  All you have to do to get a search going on Windows 8 is press the windows button and press any button; everything else appears just by pressing the windows button as you can customize what you want on your windows page.

• Br3akingDawnBr3akingDawn a City, CAPosts: 1,378Member Uncommon
    You know it all will come down to how well FF14 is coded. I dont have super nice gpu like the ones that are out, just a GTX570, but when I play games like for example Rift. It works my gpu like big time. Itll use like over 90% of my gpu AND not even on ultra settings. :| Hopefully ARR will be coded and smooth.

• MothanosMothanos MordorPosts: 1,909Member Uncommon

Drop AMD.....you get much better performance with Intel for the same price or even cheaper.
    I used AMD for a long time but the diffrence in performance became greater and greater.

I recently bought the I5-2500k and O.C. it to 5000mhz without reaching 65 celcius with air cooling.
    Insane performance for less then 200 euro's.

Iam not a fanboy i used to love amd for what stuff they pulled off, but like i said those days are gone sadly :(

• KurushKurush Irvine, CAPosts: 1,303Member

That system will be fine, I think.  And AMD is still pretty good value for money.  I don't think they're out of the game yet.

Don't get me wrong.  I do tend to build Intel-NVidia machines myself.  They're safer bets, in my view.  AMD has had a small number of disastrous processer launches over the years, with major bugs in the architecture cropping up after a few months.  And there are a lot of games "optimized" for NVidia cards which get crap performance on good-quality ATI stuff.  This latter part really pisses me off, as I preferred ATI cards for the longest time.

But AMD's processors work fine in 99% of cases, and they very often deliver far superior bang for your buck.  I wouldn't be afraid of them.

To put things into perspective, I'm running a laptop with an i7 3630QM, 16GB DDR3-1600 RAM, and a GTX 660M with 2GB vram.  That's a decent amount of horsepower for a laptop, but there's still a sizeable gap in power between laptop hardware and the equivalent desktop components (particularly in clock speeds on the GPU and CPU).

When I ran the graphics test on medium, my score was "very high."  When I ran it on high, my score was "fairly high."

The rig you have there probably has a little bit more juice, so you'd run it perfectly fine, assuming the performance testing program they've put out is any indication.