Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Thoughts on this comp for ffxiv

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883258024

Could I do any better for a 1000$ limit without having to build my own pc?

Comments

• SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466
    Seems okay.

• PreparedPrepared Member UncommonPosts: 103
    Originally posted by Deleted User

Looks pretty good to play FFXIV to me.  The only bad thing is Windows 8 but you can get to the desktop, just no start menu.  Microsoft dropped the ball on that Operating System (OS) but they usually release a bad OS every 2 OS releases any way.

• YaevinduskYaevindusk Member RarePosts: 2,094
    Originally posted by Prepared
    Originally posted by Deleted User

Looks pretty good to play FFXIV to me.  The only bad thing is Windows 8 but you can get to the desktop, just no start menu.  Microsoft dropped the ball on that Operating System (OS) but they usually release a bad OS every 2 OS releases any way.

Windows 8 is an excellent operating system.  You just have to relearn some things, and most aren't as tech savy as they claim to be.  All you have to do to get a search going on Windows 8 is press the windows button and press any button; everything else appears just by pressing the windows button as you can customize what you want on your windows page.

Due to frequent travel in my youth, English isn't something I consider my primary language (and thus I obtained quirky ways of writing).  German and French were always easier for me despite my family being U.S. citizens for over a century.  Spanish I learned as a requirement in school, Japanese and Korean I acquired for my youthful desire of anime and gaming (and also work now).  I only debate in English to help me work with it (and limit things).  In addition, I'm not smart enough to remain fluent in everything and typically need exposure to get in the groove of things again if I haven't heard it in a while.  If you understand Mandarin, I know a little, but it has actually been a challenge and could use some help.

Also, I thoroughly enjoy debates and have accounts on over a dozen sites for this.  If you wish to engage in such, please put effort in a post and provide sources -- I will then do the same with what I already wrote (if I didn't) as well as with my responses to your own.  Expanding my information on a subject makes my stance either change or strengthen the next time I speak of it or write a thesis.  Allow me to thank you sincerely for your time.
  • MothanosMothanos Member UncommonPosts: 1,910

Drop AMD.....you get much better performance with Intel for the same price or even cheaper.
    I used AMD for a long time but the diffrence in performance became greater and greater.

I recently bought the I5-2500k and O.C. it to 5000mhz without reaching 65 celcius with air cooling.
    Insane performance for less then 200 euro's.

Iam not a fanboy i used to love amd for what stuff they pulled off, but like i said those days are gone sadly :(

• KurushKurush Member Posts: 1,303

That system will be fine, I think.  And AMD is still pretty good value for money.  I don't think they're out of the game yet.

Don't get me wrong.  I do tend to build Intel-NVidia machines myself.  They're safer bets, in my view.  AMD has had a small number of disastrous processer launches over the years, with major bugs in the architecture cropping up after a few months.  And there are a lot of games "optimized" for NVidia cards which get crap performance on good-quality ATI stuff.  This latter part really pisses me off, as I preferred ATI cards for the longest time.

But AMD's processors work fine in 99% of cases, and they very often deliver far superior bang for your buck.  I wouldn't be afraid of them.

To put things into perspective, I'm running a laptop with an i7 3630QM, 16GB DDR3-1600 RAM, and a GTX 660M with 2GB vram.  That's a decent amount of horsepower for a laptop, but there's still a sizeable gap in power between laptop hardware and the equivalent desktop components (particularly in clock speeds on the GPU and CPU).

When I ran the graphics test on medium, my score was "very high."  When I ran it on high, my score was "fairly high."

The rig you have there probably has a little bit more juice, so you'd run it perfectly fine, assuming the performance testing program they've put out is any indication.