Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What would be the top 7 MMOs in your opinion!

2»

Comments

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

for 2013, my preferences

EQ2

GW2

DDO

GW1

RIFT

i created a new monk in WOW last month

but as soon as I got to the LichKing content lost all interest in playing further

(paid for 2 months but only played for 2 weeks heh)

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818

1 wow

2 swg

3 coh

4 wot

5 tera

6 swtor

7 eq2...I guess

• DocBrodyDocBrody Member UncommonPosts: 1,926

Eve

Secret World

Age of Conan

Asherons Call

Ultima

SWG

Planetside 2

..the end

• JacxolopeJacxolope Member UncommonPosts: 1,140

1) UO (pre tram)- When people talk about a games success they usually trow around numbers and such of subscribers or sales. UO may not have the "numbers" that todays MMO's have, even in its heyday BUT if you were to compare the % of people with online access (most did not have PCs at the time, much less an internet connection) I woud bet UO was one of the most successful. 

Also, the general playerbase was filled with people familiar to tabletop gaming and playing RPGs with depth and complex systems. It also (being the only 'mainstream' game in town) attracted the RP crowd, carebear players, builders and destroyers. This merger of ALL playstyles in a Virtual World (not a game on rails) made for a hell of a ride.

The ride is over and UO had many faults- But...Its still #1 in my book.

2) SWG- Man, I missed this gem in its heyday. I am including it because even after the NGE (I played about 3 years ago for a few months) it had more depth and C&C than most MMOs on the market- Pre NGE (which I never experienced personally) was probably the best "sandbox" ever made. I have watched videos and read a ton about this gem of a game. 

R.I.P.

3) WOW- Hmmm, what more can you say. I understand the hate WOW gets because it really was instrumental in bringing MMOs to the mainstream and in turn has been the focal point of the dumbing down. it streamlined the systems, took a very simple approach and made a game accessible to casuals- But it was polished, fun and attracted a wide variety of people from all walks of life. Had the entire genre not turned into WOW clones, WOW would never have the "hate" it does today.

Was a fun game.

4) EQ 2-  I am not including EQ in my list since I never played the original (was playing UO at the time) but EQ2 was/is  a kick ass game. Quite "sandboxy" (for a themepark) great housing, TONS of content, great community (at least when I played)

5) Ryzom- This game would be #1 if they would ever do a server wipe or make a new server- As it stands the "game" is over and a few long term guilds have everything on lockdown. Guild wars never even happen anymore with everyone holding onto what they have- The most dynamic World ever made in an MMO has become static and boring- But back in the day...

6)Dofus- Yes its a browser game (kinda) , yes it looks like a little kids game.. I know...I know. In fact, I never would have played based on soooooo many factors but was 'tricked' into it by my son. What I saw was some of the deepest systems and gameplay in an MMO and it was pretty damn hardcore. great use of Guilds, soooooo much to do. If you can get past the "packaging", that is- And the people from brazil (if you played you would understand- BR?)- Man I was hyped for Wakfu- But it just isnt close to Dofus except on paper.

7)EVE- I dont play because I cannot stand being a spaceship (i know...I know) but the depth involved, the real Politics, the open World Sandbox- Great stuff. I lasted a few Months and occasionally venture back. Give me a fantasy based "Eve" and I would be in heaven.

• ZzadZzad Member UncommonPosts: 1,401

1. Guild Wars 2: Simply the best out there!

2. WoW: Haven´t played in years,but it is polished & complete like no other.

3. Guild Wars 1: Not really an open world,but a Great multiplayer Game!!! Best PvP ever!!!

4. Rift: Polished,complete & dinamic! Haven´t played in a while though...

5. The Secret World: Still trying to get into it,but i definetly love the atmosphere!

6. Neverwinter: Having a GREAT time so far!

7. Not one special to mention really.

• pl3dgepl3dge Member UncommonPosts: 183

1. Lord of the Rings Online

2. World of Warcraft

3. The Secret World

4. Age of Conan

5. Rift

6. Star Wars The Old Republic

7. Aion/Tera - tough choice for last spot

• HomituHomitu Member UncommonPosts: 2,030

I can't really give 7.  When I find an MMO I love, I tend to play it and it alone happily.  I've only really devoted any signficant time to FFXI, WoW and GW2 over the past decade.  I wouldn't list FFXI in the top 7 though.  

1. WoW

2. GW2

3. Rift?

4. TSW/SW:ToR?

5. Aion

6. LotrO seems to have had a steady player base for a long time

• meadmoonmeadmoon Member UncommonPosts: 1,344

1. Ultima Online

2. Dark Age of Camelot

3. Asheron's Call

4. World of Warcraft

5. Everquest

6. Star Wars Galaxies

7. Shadowbane

• KareliaKarelia Member Posts: 668
    Originally posted by Nadia

for 2013, my preferences

EQ2

GW2

DDO

GW1

RIFT

i created a new monk in WOW last month

but as soon as I got to the LichKing content lost all interest in playing further

(paid for 2 months but only played for 2 weeks heh)

same here, not with wow but with gw2. try it again before a week and once again i realised how in vain my money went. as much as i like gw1 that much i hate gw2. this really sucks, so i can understant you 100%