Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Wish it was a Don't Starve MMO

xSaintxxSaintx Member UncommonPosts: 75

I tried it and the very first thing that came to mind is, the terrible and non-responsive movement. I can't stand that. I believe it has something to do with utilizing Java, but I'm not positive on that. I'm all over the place with this post but I play Don't Starve and would absolutely love if Salem turned out to be a MMO version of that. Deep crafting, permadeath, open-loot pvp, etc.

Comments

• StonesDKStonesDK Member UncommonPosts: 1,805
    Originally posted by xSaintx

I tried it and the very first thing that came to mind is, the terrible and non-responsive movement. I can't stand that. I believe it has something to do with utilizing Java, but I'm not positive on that. I'm all over the place with this post but I play Don't Starve and would absolutely love if Salem turned out to be a MMO version of that. Deep crafting, permadeath, open-loot pvp, etc.

You lost me at pvp

• xSaintxxSaintx Member UncommonPosts: 75

Meaningful pvp. Not just run around ganking people. Make friends, build a fort and protect your stuff. Solo gankers won't stand a chance.

• nikixosnikixos Member UncommonPosts: 6

Been months since i started playing salem and i love it. It is very much like don't starve, i played don't starve for a few weeks but ofc, it's not an massive multi player online so you get bored quickly, it might look ugly and harsh at first, but play smart and you won't ever die, i have yet to experience being murdered in the 6 months i've been playing because i play smart

You will find salem is a very hard to learn game, not just your casual don't starve

• champie_jackchampie_jack Member Posts: 1

I have 2 friends who play Don't Starve a lot, but neither are convinced that Salem is worth their time. Their decision is disappointing to me because I've learned that the best way to enjoy Salem is with at least 2 or 3 other dedicated and trustworthy friends. I had to take a break from the game after my small group of in-game friends gave up and I began talking to myself through several alts I was developing across the map as if they were my friends. Division of Labor means nothing when it is just me dividing the labor between 5 characters :(

I do recommend Salem and encourage those who think the graphics or the permadeath are a liability to give it a try anyway. I think the depth of the crafting system and the mechanics are interesting and fun, but the PvP and raiding demand a group effort to really be enjoyable.

There are many helpful community members and the devs maintain a weekly schedule for updates which add new features as they move the game toward a full commercial release. The game is currently in Open Beta, so there are still lots of changes and updates to come. If nothing else, give the game a look periodically as it changes.

• NaowutNaowut Member UncommonPosts: 663
    Salem is a remake of an awesome game called Haven & Hearth, created by the same 2 guys. If you want a great game you should play that instead of this crap.
  • TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by xSaintx

It would be easier to mod multiplayer into Don't Starve.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• alloinalloin Member UncommonPosts: 135

Salem is a great game, been playing it for almost a year, never died and currently playing as dominating faction (protection of newbs) on the server Roanoke (best server to start on if you start playing)

You have to be able to look past the graphics, they aren't that great, but the gameplay is very fun.

The game has a pretty small community, but the game is still in beta and far from a 'released state', yet able to bring hundreds of hours of interesting gameplay !!!

Below some video fragments of the game

Here's an example of 'pvp-fight', 6 vs 3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-qK90PFIr8

Here's an example of a murder of a criminal and the destruction of his base

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PN8bPaaSCYQ

I've played Don't Starve, really liked it, but it's missing a good online/multiplayer element, which (i think) Salem can give us

We are all satoshi!
  • RevofireRevofire Member UncommonPosts: 269
    The pathetically low playerbase makes those idiots even less of a minority. Let's admit it, this game is way too childish with hardcore mechanics (the ones I want) to actually work. I don't know what made them think that this would work. If only if it was more like H&H in a FINAL and well done version.
    Change your thoughts and you change your world. - Norman Vincent Peale

• redcappredcapp Member Posts: 722
    Wow those videos look atrocious.
  • alloinalloin Member UncommonPosts: 135
    Originally posted by redcapp
    Wow those videos look atrocious.

You clearly prefer graphics over gameplay O.o...

Don't forget Salem only has 2 developers and no publisher/income

We are all satoshi!