Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

8 Months in, how does vanilla GW2 fare compared to vanilla WoW?

Comments

• MagnetiaMagnetia Member UncommonPosts: 1,015
    Gw2 is head and shoulders above wow in terms of content PRODUCTION. Quality and fun are subjective to the player, i really enjoyed halloween and SAB. I think in 10 years time GW2 will have developed enough game to make the box price seem ridiculous.

Play for fun. Play to win. Play for perfection. Play with friends. Play in another world. Why do you play?

• RizelStarRizelStar Member UncommonPosts: 2,773
    Originally posted by Magnetia
    Gw2 is head and shoulders above wow in terms of content PRODUCTION. Quality and fun are subjective to the player, i really enjoyed halloween and SAB. I think in 10 years time GW2 will have developed enough game to make the box price seem ridiculous.

Very true.

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.

• TokkenTokken Member EpicPosts: 3,551

GW2 does not even compare to WOW. Two totally different games. IMO WOW is better though!

Proud MMORPG.com member since March 2004!  Make PvE GREAT Again!

• Neo_ViperNeo_Viper Member UncommonPosts: 609

The problem is many people confuse quality and quantity of content with "content I like".

Content can be of top quality even if one doesn't like that type of content.

And content one doesn't like is still content.

The "everything I don't like is crap and doesn't exist" attitude is both wrong and sadly quite frequent, many people are unable to see further than the tip of their own noses.

My computer is better than yours.

• KalestonKaleston Member Posts: 173

Is it really fair to compare 8 years old game with today's game?

Situation is so very different nowadays. Before WoW only some minority of players cared about MMO and most of those were student (with too much time and not enough money). Nowadays, you get MMO commercials in mainstream TV channels even in my small country. MMO became crazy industry with tons of money behind it.

Ok, just to make it clear, you just can't compare those two. They are so very different...

It's funny how people look at vanilla wow with pink glasses :) If you look at those additions you listed, you should have also added another column saying "this didn't work at all till...." Anyone that played back in the days must remember progressing of new content. Blackwing Lair was pretty much unplayable on release. Most bosses were broken so they were either super easy, or impossible to beat. Servers were lagging so badly that guilds on a single server needed to make arrangements who will tackle raid boss, because if 2 guilds did that at the same time, lag killed everyone. I'm not even going to mention hours long login queues and fighting bosses in 35-38 people because someone got DCed and we really didn't want to wait an hour for them (not mentioning someone else got DCed withing that hour anyway). LoS issues? Broken spells? Not balanced classes and trees? It got it all :) But I guess that's natural with pioneer product that actually sets standards for years to come.

Honestly, if vanilla WoW released today with quality it had back in the days, no one would play it.

• stevebombsquadstevebombsquad Member UncommonPosts: 884
    Originally posted by Neo_Viper

The problem is many people confuse quality and quantity of content with "content I like".

The "everything I don't like is crap and doesn't exist" attitude is both wrong and sadly quite frequent, many people are unable to see further than the tip of their own noses.

This isn't true at all. Something can have a high production value, be well made in terms of materials and craftsmanship, and still be poorly designed. This would make it "crap" in the eyes of many people. A good example of this that is comparable to a game is a movie. There are a lot of movies that have a high production value and great actors that miss the mark with people and are considered "crap" by the many. Everything comes down to a matter of taste or opinion. 

James T. Kirk: All she's got isn't good enough! What else ya got?

• kabitoshinkabitoshin Member UncommonPosts: 854
    Originally posted by Kaleston

Is it really fair to compare 8 years old game with today's game?

Situation is so very different nowadays. Before WoW only some minority of players cared about MMO and most of those were student (with too much time and not enough money). Nowadays, you get MMO commercials in mainstream TV channels even in my small country. MMO became crazy industry with tons of money behind it.

Ok, just to make it clear, you just can't compare those two. They are so very different...

It's funny how people look at vanilla wow with pink glasses :) If you look at those additions you listed, you should have also added another column saying "this didn't work at all till...." Anyone that played back in the days must remember progressing of new content. Blackwing Lair was pretty much unplayable on release. Most bosses were broken so they were either super easy, or impossible to beat. Servers were lagging so badly that guilds on a single server needed to make arrangements who will tackle raid boss, because if 2 guilds did that at the same time, lag killed everyone. I'm not even going to mention hours long login queues and fighting bosses in 35-38 people because someone got DCed and we really didn't want to wait an hour for them (not mentioning someone else got DCed withing that hour anyway). LoS issues? Broken spells? Not balanced classes and trees? It got it all :) But I guess that's natural with pioneer product that actually sets standards for years to come.

Honestly, if vanilla WoW released today with quality it had back in the days, no one would play it.

I look back at vanilla WoW with fond memories, but WotLK was when the game really felt polished.

Originally posted by kabitoshin

I look back at vanilla WoW with fond memories, but WotLK was when the game really felt polished.

Totally agreed. WotLK is still the best WoW expansion to date, the height of that game. And Ulduar is the best WoW raid to date too.

After WotLK, everything was dumbed down, destroyed... what a waste of a good game. Looks like the game is now designed for 5 year old retards with no ability to make decisions on their own and who need to be handheld for everything.

(all this IMHO of course)

PS for stevebombsquad still I don't feel like feeding his anti-GW2 crusade with a separate post:

I hope you realize that what you think is, I quote, "poorly designed", remains your own personal opinion? If you replace it with "it's just not for me", it will sound way better and less like a crusade to impose your views on everyone else.

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951

Totally agreed. WotLK is still the best WoW expansion to date, the height of that game. And Ulduar is the best WoW raid to date too.

Totally agree with that too. WotLK had the best story as well, you actually felt important and you felt like you were at war trying to prevent the take over of everything by undead. (even without open world events something I always wished WoW had)

Even tho they have simpified some things too much they really have been trying to cater to the casual crowd with their newest but I think it was too late for them to try and thus the reason why they are losing subs now. They should have listened to us filthy casuals when we were asking for these things during WotLK long ago. :)

As far as content goes, the thing the OP fails to mention is just how much of that content overall is temporary and not there anymore. That's the biggest beef people have in the official forums about it, that it goes poof after it reaches the end of it's time. Also there's the notion that they didn't do what they said they wanted to do in their January address called "In the months to come" where they say they want to return players to the open world. LS doesn't do that it still superconcentrates players in places most new players who are trying to reach level 80 never see. 

• Halloween Event (2 month) gone
    • Lost Shores Karka event (3 months) gone
    • Wintersday (4 months) gone
    • Flame and Frost Living Story (5-8 months) gone
    • Super Adventure Box gone
    Compared to WoW all of this content (including the newest LS but not listed here) was temporary. When we look at WoW they added new permanent items between expansions AND included the holiday content at the same time. Holidays were always a separate thing when they did their development over at Blizz. 

LS doesn't actually fill the void for some of us, the LS content is very short, and most people finish it in a single day if not 2 days and then the waiting game begins for a whole other month before more is put in only to repeat the cycle yet we're led to believe they are doing well financially and have all this money, people are asking why is more care not put into the game to including more minigames more rewards for regular gameplay and content that doesn't disappear.

• NikopolNikopol Member UncommonPosts: 626
    Originally posted by colddog04

WoW was rough around the edges in those early days. People often attribute much of it's success to it's polish and consistency, but if it were released today in the same state it was released then, I think that the whining and moaning about it being a beta/unfinished/buggy game would be deafening.

It was deafening back then as well. Thing is, people were screaming and still cutting work to try and log in and stay on.

What it comes down to is: If people really, really like a game, they play through all the problems. I remember a server-full of people trying to stay online and getting just about half an hour of gameplay out of hours and hours of relogs, restarts etc., but they kept coming for more.

That's what truly enjoying a game does. Few games (not MMOs, but games overall) have achieved that sort of a widespread enjoyability.

Today the players have little problems, but no will to keep playing.

After WotLK, everything was dumbed down, destroyed... what a waste of a good game. Looks like the game is now designed for 5 year old retards with no ability to make decisions on their own and who need to be handheld for everything.

PS for stevebombsquad still I don't feel like feeding his anti-GW2 crusade with a separate post:

I hope you realize that what you think is, I quote, "poorly designed", remains your own personal opinion? If you replace it with "it's just not for me", it will sound way better and less like a crusade to impose your views on everyone else.

Oh wait... look at this post about WoW? Hypocritical much? Instead of saying designed for 5 year old retards...try it just isn't for me.... It would make it seem less like you are on a crusade to impose your views on everyone. *smirks*

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    Originally posted by stevebombsquad

Oh wait... look at this post about WoW? Hypocritical much? Instead of saying designed for 5 year old retards...try it just isn't for me.... It would make it seem less like you are on a crusade to impose your views on everyone. *smirks*

Coming from the guy who told me I'm playing WoW wrong by not grouping, when hardly ANYONE I met in 5 years of playing ever grouped or tried to group with me.  Maybe people play games differently.  Shocker, I know.

"Imposing views"  Ha.  You even cited "most people" playing the way you play.  Gimme a spreadsheet on that would ya?

• AyulinAyulin Member Posts: 334

This isn't true at all. Something can have a high production value, be well made in terms of materials and craftsmanship, and still be poorly designed. This would make it "crap" in the eyes of many people. A good example of this that is comparable to a game is a movie. There are a lot of movies that have a high production value and great actors that miss the mark with people and are considered "crap" by the many. Everything comes down to a matter of taste or opinion. 

Actually what Magnetia says is 100% true, and it happens all the time in forum discussions, as well as in-game. Hell, I've had it come up in real-life discussions with other gamers and/or friends.

A common example:

Person A: "There's no content at all in this game. It's just a level grind to end-game, and then you grind endlessly for gear. There's literally nothing else for me to do".

Person B: "Have you done all the quests and their storylines?"

Person A: "Quests are useless filler. They shouldn't even exist".

Person B: "What about crafting or other side-stuff they've added?"

Person A: "Not real content. None of that helps you level and just slows you down."

Person B: "Battlegrounds? PvP?"

Person A: "PvP is useless and I don't like it"

Person B: "So, the problem is you're only interested in end-game and not any of the other content"

Person A: "No. There is no other content. MMOs are all about end-game. Everything else is just useless filler they add so it takes you longer to get there".

I've seen almost that exact conversation - and other variations on it - more times than I can even begin to remember. It's a very common attitude, and fits into the "if I don't like it, it isn't content" mentality that Magnetia describes. Many MMO gamers have serious cases of tunnel-vision. The "MMOs are all about end-game" argument is one of the most common roots of it. People have convinced themselves that an entire genre of games is only about the 10-20% of the content that comes "at the end". They race past everything else to get there, and then wonder why they're bored.

Originally posted by Eir_S

Coming from the guy who told me I'm playing WoW wrong by not grouping, when hardly ANYONE I met in 5 years of playing ever grouped or tried to group with me.  Maybe people play games differently.  Shocker, I know.

"Imposing views"  Ha.  You even cited "most people" playing the way you play.  Gimme a spreadsheet on that would ya?

I've little to add here. Quite easy victory, not to mention that in my post, it's clearly written "all this IMHO of course", and that we are on the GW2 forums talking about WoW, and not on WoW forums bashing WoW, which is a HUGE difference between me and our friend Stevebombwhatever.

And obviously, when someone ever said "most people play like me", he doomed himself.

• RavensworthRavensworth Member UncommonPosts: 78

I think  one thing that was missed here was the unbelievable Queue lines in Vanilla WOW. This took some time to resolve. They never expected the response they got and I think did a good job of getting handled. I can remember 2 hour Queue times to get into Argent Dawn. They added new servers and had to increase their bandwidth a great deal. AT&T even admitted to not being able to handle the number of customers WOW had.

As far as content upgrades go I think both games did fine. I don't play WOW anymore but not because it is a bad game. It is more because of the Guild Drama that occurred during WOTLK. Our guild broke up and I lost alot of friends. It just makes me sad to play it now.

GW2 is a good game but is very different in Focus to WOW IMHO. I cannot rate the two against each other because at the time I played WOW my life was so different. I had more time to play and it was the center of my universe. I play GW2 maybe twice a week. I play LOTRO every weekend with my spouse for fun.

I think Vanilla WOW was so Massive at launch that it enabled people to participate in things no other game before it had allowed. Casual raiding was possible for really the first time. 25 man raids still required a HUGE time sink.

Originally posted by Eir_S

I've little to add here. Quite easy victory, not to mention that in my post, it's clearly written "all this IMHO of course", and that we are on the GW2 forums talking about WoW, and not on WoW forums bashing WoW, which is a HUGE difference between me and our friend Stevebombwhatever.

And obviously, when someone ever said "most people play like me", he doomed himself.

Really....???  Not so much. You said  WoW  was "designed for five year old retards".... Even with an IMHO it still means you are calling it a piece of crap which would make you a hypocrite... since WoW has pretty high production value. When someone states something subjective about a game, it is obviously their opinion. 

• JelarothJelaroth Member UncommonPosts: 4
    There should be no actual need of comparing vanilla GW2 and WoW. Market circumstances were totally different and competition was whole different.

Really....???  Not so much. You said  WoW  was "designed for five year old retards".... Even with an IMHO it still means you are calling it a piece of crap which would make you a hypocrite... since WoW has pretty high production value. When someone states something subjective about a game, it is obviously their opinion. 

I'm pretty sure I'm wasting my time, but I'm going to make one last effort.

First, I never said that WoW was designed for five year old retards, I said it has been dumbed down to that level over time. The WoW we have today in Pandaland is NOT the WoW we had in 2004 at release, and it's NOT the excellent WoW we had until Wrath of the Lich King, WoW:Pandaland and also WoW:Cataclysm are dumbed down versions of the original game in my opinion, and yeah, I think today's WoW seems designed for simpletons and everything even remotely complex has been simplified to the extreme. Pandaria finished to destroy what Cataclysm had started to damage.

Second, I'm no WoW hater, I played the game for 8+ years with 2 accounts, and I will definitely play it again sometimes, most likely for the next expansion because I still enjoy visiting Azeroth and the Blizzard art team is still one of the best of the industry. But for now the accounts are on hold because I'm already too busy with GW2.

I hope this will be clear enough for you to understand this time.

EDIT: oh, and third point, I don't go out of my way to bash WoW on the WoW forums, I simply talk about WoW here on the GW2 forum because someone started a topic, but at least I don't annoy WoW players talking about their game on their forum. If that makes me an hypocrite, I wonder what you are, bashing GW2 on the GW2 forums almost daily. Food for thoughts.

• MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614
    Originally posted by topographic

OP, your point being GW2 added more content in 8 months than WoW? Is that what you are implying?

Quantity does not equal quality and GW2 wouldn't know quality if it came up and slapped them in the face.

Well, Blizzard delivering very poor graphical dungeons with all scripted mobs+events isn't exactly thrilling either.

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

I'm pretty sure I'm wasting my time, but I'm going to make one last effort.

First, I never said that WoW was designed for five year old retards, I said it has been dumbed down to that level over time. The WoW we have today in Pandaland is NOT the WoW we had in 2004 at release, and it's NOT the excellent WoW we had until Wrath of the Lich King, WoW:Pandaland and also WoW:Cataclysm are dumbed down versions of the original game in my opinion, and yeah, I think today's WoW seems designed for simpletons and everything even remotely complex has been simplified to the extreme. Pandaria finished to destroy what Cataclysm had started to damage.

Second, I'm no WoW hater, I played the game for 8+ years with 2 accounts, and I will definitely play it again sometimes, most likely for the next expansion because I still enjoy visiting Azeroth and the Blizzard art team is still one of the best of the industry. But for now the accounts are on hold because I'm already too busy with GW2.

I hope this will be clear enough for you to understand this time.

EDIT: oh, and third point, I don't go out of my way to bash WoW on the WoW forums, I simply talk about WoW here on the GW2 forum because someone started a topic, but at least I don't annoy WoW players talking about their game on their forum. If that makes me an hypocrite, I wonder what you are, bashing GW2 on the GW2 forums almost daily. Food for thoughts.

Uhhh I am in a thread comparing WoW to GW2 and it is relevant.  I could care less what you whether you like WoW or not or what you post about it. I was just making the point that you complain when someone says something negative about your game, but then feel justified in downing another game in the same thread. Adding an IMHO doesn't make it not calling something "crap". 

• GregorMcgregorGregorMcgregor Member UncommonPosts: 263
    The main difference OP is, WoW was at least fun. (And Blizzard didn't tell us lies 24/7).

No trials. No tricks. No traps. No EU-RP server. NO THANKS!

...10% Benevolence, 90% Arrogance in my case!

Uhhh I am in a thread comparing WoW to GW2 and it is relevant.  I could care less what you whether you like WoW or not or what you post about it. I was just making the point that you complain when someone says something negative about your game, but then feel justified in downing another game in the same thread. Adding an IMHO doesn't make it not calling something "crap". 

Have you even read my post? You don't address a single thing I said in it, and I guess it's because it would force you to admit you were wrong and that you misunderstood my posts.

Anyway, enough time wasted for me.

Originally posted by GregorMcgregor
    The main difference OP is, WoW was at least fun.

So, explain to me what was fun, because killing x boars + killing x soldier NPCs 10000000000000000x followed by a 5hr long emorage trying to kill a purple dragon wasn't really fun to me.

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

Originally posted by Muke
    Originally posted by GregorMcgregor
    The main difference OP is, WoW was at least fun.

So, explain to me what was fun, because killing x boars + killing x soldier NPCs 10000000000000000x followed by a 5hr long emorage trying to kill a purple dragon wasn't really fun to me.

He was actually trying to say that fro HIM, WoW was more fun than GW2.

That gentleman certainly knows we don't allow him to talk for us.

He was actually trying to say that fro HIM, WoW was more fun than GW2.

That gentleman certainly knows we don't allow him to talk for us.

Aaaaaaaaaaah ok.  ^^