Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What do YOU people want?

Comments

• AntiquatedAntiquated Member RarePosts: 1,415
    Generally, something we've already had.
  • MMOPapaMMOPapa Member Posts: 121
    I have and always will say that FFXIV:ARR has the greatest (to date, that I've experienced) Crafting system and second greatest Gathering system (only to be outdone by Firefall). That alone is enough innovation for me considering I have NEVER, in my seventy plus games of experience, enjoyed a crafting system... not once.

• RaxeonRaxeon Member UncommonPosts: 2,283

So for those that all they do is level,FFXIV is a much better product that looks a lot better.I'll tell you this much ,Square misses the boat bigtime on not implementing mounts and pets and housing.Those are the three big draws ,it would make them a ton more money.

they are putting them in O_O hell i think phase 3 or 4 we might get to test them the housing at least

Originally posted by Wizardry

So for those that all they do is level,FFXIV is a much better product that looks a lot better.I'll tell you this much ,Square misses the boat bigtime on not implementing mounts and pets and housing.Those are the three big draws ,it would make them a ton more money.

Completely disagree with you... doesn't make you wrong, that's your view. This is mine... I never once had the urge to level. All I did, the entire time... was craft and gather. I loved their crafting and gathering systems so much that I didn't even want to experience the rest of the game... I thought I was wasting my time the one time I went to run Tam-Tara. And when I was done? I still felt that way. I was having withdraws from crafting. And the funniest part about it?

I have NEVER liked crafting and I have played over seventy online games.

• danwest58danwest58 Member RarePosts: 2,012
    This is so true that MMOs try to innovate just for the sake of innovating.  The truth is real good innovation is something like EQNEXT will be.  Taking old and new gaming technologies, elements and ideas and putting them together to try to make a new game thats fun.  Not a pile of crap just to try to say we innovated.  AKA SWG to SWTOR.   
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

Well I guess Jim doesn't mind doing the same thing over and over year after year. 

I do. To each his own I guess.

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • FleshMaskFleshMask Member UncommonPosts: 249
    Originally posted by Inigo_Montoya

I see a lot of people say things like there is no innovation in this game and because of it i will not play . For the people who say this and for the critics out there and or blog writer's out there watch this http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/jimquisition/7005-Innovation-Gamings-Snake-Oil

I think a lot of people really need to rethink there stand on this and other games in general 

There is a difference between innovation and straight out ignoring basics.

Trust me, auction-houses, jumping in a game, and interface menus ARE NOT innovation.

THEY ARE THE BASICS

and FFXIV ignores that, all the while you got apologists like OP over here thinking they actually got a point, when they are just making excuses trying to have us drink that filthy koolaid from several years back.

• Snowdon_CloudripperSnowdon_Cloudripper Member CommonPosts: 584
    Originally posted by FleshMask

I see a lot of people say things like there is no innovation in this game and because of it i will not play . For the people who say this and for the critics out there and or blog writer's out there watch this http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/jimquisition/7005-Innovation-Gamings-Snake-Oil

I think a lot of people really need to rethink there stand on this and other games in general 

Trust me, auction-houses, jumping in a game, and interface menus ARE NOT innovation.

THEY ARE THE BASICS

and FFXIV ignores that, all the while you got apologists like OP over here thinking they actually got a point, when they are just making excuses trying to have us drink that filthy koolaid from several years back.

FFXIV:ARR has jumping , has a Auction House , and a nice UI . Why comment on the game if you do not even know about the game . just saying .  There is a huge section called all your FFXIV:ARR info can be found here . And has everything you need to know about the game. I suggest you do some reading and watching before talking out of your butt. Maybe you should put down the koolaid your drinking and learn some facts on the game . The OP is about how critics and the like or gamers who do not know about this game say really stupid things like "I wont play this , It is not innovating " Or The game has nothing new we have all seen this before so I will not play " That is the problem . Then you get people who put out a "preview" like this one http://www.gamespot.com/final-fantasy-xiv-online-a-realm-reborn/previews/changes-that-seem-all-too-familiar-final-fantasy-xiv-a-realm-reborn-6407453/ This guy said he tested the game . read the comments beta testers my comments are there also have shot this "preview" down because the guy lied about the whole experience. But people will take his false info and think it to be fact when it is not even close .  Prove me wrong

The biggest gripe we had was this quote " Our play session during the beta weekend was filled with similarly-leveled pugilists and spellcasters joining in unison as we beat down the aforementioned Opo-opos and Ixali birdmen until we had fulfilled the required amount of mob deaths. "

How the hell did he test as a Pug ? It was not in phase 2 ? Unless he is lying .  But he said he did . There is a lot of misinformation out there if you do not know go read and educate yourself on this game . Or wait when NDA is lifted and everyone can see the game . Trust me this will be he game of the year MMO wise . I know a lot think tESO or Neverwinter but im going to say this those games are F2P and like every F2P game if you enjoy  lag fest and a buggy game by all means play . If you enjoy spending over 200$ a year to get that piece of gear you will not use 2 weeks later by all means play that game . IF you want a lag free , bug free well maintained game that will cost you 150$ a year and you can get anything you want on a level playing field with everyone else then this is the game for you. ( My opinion)

http://absoluteretribution.enjin.com/ Guild Website and Recruitment link

• reeereeereeereee Member UncommonPosts: 1,636

THEY ARE THE BASICS

FFXIV:ARR has jumping , has a Auction House , and a nice UI . Why comment on the game if you do not even know about the game . just saying .  There is a huge section called all your FFXIV:ARR info can be found here . And has everything you need to know about the game. I suggest you do some reading and watching before talking out of your butt. Maybe you should put down the koolaid your drinking and learn some facts on the game . The OP is about how critics and the like or gamers who do not know about this game say really stupid things like "I wont play this , It is not innovating " Or The game has nothing new we have all seen this before so I will not play " That is the problem . Then you get people who put out a "preview" like this one http://www.gamespot.com/final-fantasy-xiv-online-a-realm-reborn/previews/changes-that-seem-all-too-familiar-final-fantasy-xiv-a-realm-reborn-6407453/ This guy said he tested the game . read the comments beta testers my comments are there also have shot this "preview" down because the guy lied about the whole experience. But people will take his false info and think it to be fact when it is not even close .  Prove me wrong

That's interesting, so people who are tired of playing the same type of game over, and over, and over again are "stupid"

To me this game felt shockingly similar to WoW at lower levels, even more similar to WoW than other games like Rift and SWTOR that were labeled WoW clones.  This is a feeling though, perhaps you saw something exciting there.  I did not.  Trying to argue that people who want a new experience are "stupid" is a bit well... humorous to me.

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

I don't want innovation as much as I want good gameplay. FF14 just lacks both areas. I have no problem at all with an older style combat taking away action for more strategy but the game lacks that. Classes just feel like empty shells, nothing like even FF11 the game that came before hand. Rather then build depth, it seems to be trying to build itself more casually in mind and that is harming the game. For FF11, it had flaws but the classes/class system was what really carried the game, to the point I feel it was a huge part that got World of Magic, one of the few games I'd actually not slap someone in the face for calling it a 'wow clone', to take the class system and use it in their game. 

Rift itself did mix in new elements but honestly its core concept was just the talent tree system from the past, it just expanded on it and made it interesting. Rather then try to change the formula, it just did its own adjustments which simply sparked flavor more then making things different. It didn't need to push the envelope and create a new game, it just did it well.

FF14 just doesn't do much of anything. It just feels so... generic? I just don't feel any attachment to a character. There isn't any real good classes that make it stick out. The story itself is alright but nothing to write home about. It just doesn't do anything... you need something to build interest and a catagory to raise a game up and make it stand out for having be good, and the game just offers absolutely nothing. 

It NEEDS a good class system that acts as a staple for final fantasy.

It NEEDS a good combat system, while not needing action it needs some depth to make things interesting to keep people entertained seeing how that is what you will spend most of your time with.

Address those two issues and it could feel more worthy of time, but it just doesn't have anything right now that makes me really interested in a game. If I want to play an online game around Final Fantasy, I'll go play FF11. Sure, its not the best system and its dated, but the classes really carry the game and the combat holds enough depth to make it interesting.

• AntiquatedAntiquated Member RarePosts: 1,415
    Originally posted by MMOPapa

You keep mentioning that...but all you're saying really is "my maximum average evaluation time of every title is just over 10 weeks".

• Snowdon_CloudripperSnowdon_Cloudripper Member CommonPosts: 584
    Originally posted by reeereee

THEY ARE THE BASICS

That's interesting, so people who are tired of playing the same type of game over, and over, and over again are "stupid"

To me this game felt shockingly similar to WoW at lower levels, even more similar to WoW than other games like Rift and SWTOR that were labeled WoW clones.  This is a feeling though, perhaps you saw something exciting there.  I did not.  Trying to argue that people who want a new experience are "stupid" is a bit well... humorous to me.

Ok people wanted change and innovation here comes TERA with its political system and fresh new combat .... That game is doing so well that when I logged in yesterday the servers channel for 5 hours never went above low . GW2 people were again all on the combat and wow npcs talk....so...much..you want to choke them . That game because a disappointment . RIFT , SWTOR need I say more .FFXIV V1 was different so much so people hated it so hey remade it.  The fact that over the last 5 year MMOs have SUCKED is because of people saying its the same old same old then they make something new and people are like sweet this is so great then 5 months latter  meh? l rather play WoW or FFXI .....Going back to the same od same old . That is what is stupid

http://absoluteretribution.enjin.com/ Guild Website and Recruitment link

• Aldous.HuxleyAldous.Huxley Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 418
    They need to discard linear questing & hubs. I would love to see an organic/dynamic variety in quests. Crafting is also something that a lot of recent games are getting wrong. Player crafting needs to matter & be an intricate piece of the puzzle as well.

I'm optimistic about the things I've heard, read & seen about the new iteration of the game.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Originally posted by Kleptobrainiac
    They need to discard linear questing & hubs. I would love to see an organic/dynamic variety in quests. Crafting is also something that a lot of recent games are getting wrong. Player crafting needs to matter & be an intricate piece of the puzzle as well.

I'm optimistic about the things I've heard, read & seen about the new iteration of the game.

I agree on crafting but i will explain how it can really hurt a game as well.

FISHING is a craft inside of FFXI.I would bet 99% of the players who levelled it up early cheated.Then after all the devs and employees who cheated ,they decided to turn it down so that new players would really have a tough time to catch up.

Then the devs imo not a coincidence,they implemented changes.Al la sudden accuracy became very important and they added a whole line of fishing food to support it.Now that market is cornered by all the cheats.They made fishing perhaps the most important food in the entire game all centered around cheating and RMT.Make no mistake RMT were and still are all over the food market ,they have ruined the entire economy because of it.

Every single day i was out working my butt off to support my player and craft various food.Every day i would check the AH and the RMT were undercutting it all the time.I actually got to know the rmt by their names and i watched them all the time.They would check the AH about every hour or two and if needed they would undercut again.

It is because RMT have tons of accounts and can over stock a market that they can work on lower profits,especially since the are turning that game gold into real money.

Point is you need to be VERY careful when creating a crafting economy.

BTW ,i saw the same problems in Vanguard and EQ2,i saw crafting bots in EQ2 that would sit there 24/7 making mats and leveling up.It created an unfair playing field for legit players to compete.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

Completely disagree with you... doesn't make you wrong, that's your view. This is mine... I never once had the urge to level. All I did, the entire time... was craft and gather. I loved their crafting and gathering systems so much that I didn't even want to experience the rest of the game... I thought I was wasting my time the one time I went to run Tam-Tara. And when I was done? I still felt that way. I was having withdraws from crafting. And the funniest part about it?

Sorry you missed my point altogether,not your fault ,i realize i am not the best at explaining things.

My point about leveling was that is "IF" that is your thing,FFXIV does it just as well as any game,only you get a much better looking product to do it in.

Aslo in the crafting area and as i mentioned Mounts,they could create a breeder type crafter.Perhaps breeding different pet variations and mounts.Then you  don't do it lazy you make all of it meaningful,like pets that can fight with you and mounts that can add stats or storage,lots more can be done.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

[mod edit]

I always agree with this except one MAJOR point.

Wow looks like a cheap cartoon made by an amateur team where as FFXIV looks more professional.This is not the era of MUDS anymore,it is all about eye candy and visuals,that  stems from not only the high level of detail in armor and characters but to the mobs and surroundings.

Also the EXCUSE really never existed to NOT put in that extra effort.There has been slider use to accomodate weaker machines for many years,so you can satisfy all players.

• MagiknightMagiknight Member CommonPosts: 782
    I want a persistent world that challenges me and makes me want to band together with other people. No instances. World monsters. Group content. No hybrid classes.
  • grndzrogrndzro Member UncommonPosts: 1,162

This game lost me at /panic.......

All I wanted was FFXI 2.0...ALL I (WANT) IS FFXI REDONE!

I want to play a Taru, not a Lalafell.....it looks like a Taru.....it talks like a Taru.....BUT IT ISN'T A TARU!!!

WHERE ARE MY FRIGGIN SKILLCHAINS!!!

• khameleonkhameleon Member UncommonPosts: 486

I'd play if it was buy to play. As in buy the boxed game $40-60 and that's it.

I already bought $150 worth of this game version 1.0 with 2 collector editions.

I won't pay monthly for it after I had to wait 2 years now for it to even be a playable game. Version 1 was so terrible, this one is decent in beta, but still not worth monthly money after all they put fans through already.

GAME TIL YOU DIE!!!!

• RyowulfRyowulf Member UncommonPosts: 664
    Originally posted by simsalabim77
    Originally posted by DavisFlight
    Why play WoW when WoW already exists?

Why eat ice cream from Ben & Jerry's when Cold Stone exists? Because although they serve the same thing, one offers a different experience than the other. 

No its more like why eat ice cream from Ben & Jerry's when you can find some cheap knock off brand at Walmart.

WoW does Wow best.  Every game that tried to copy it has had problems. 

Sorry you missed my point altogether,not your fault ,i realize i am not the best at explaining things.

My point about leveling was that is "IF" that is your thing,FFXIV does it just as well as any game,only you get a much better looking product to do it in.

Aslo in the crafting area and as i mentioned Mounts,they could create a breeder type crafter.Perhaps breeding different pet variations and mounts.Then you  don't do it lazy you make all of it meaningful,like pets that can fight with you and mounts that can add stats or storage,lots more can be done.

That... was probably the best idea I've ever heard someone come up with. I mean, let's face it... when it comes to end-game, the gear that drops is always better than the gear crafted. So what do you end up selling as a crafter? Enhancements... enchantments... consumables... vanity items...

I am also currently enrolled in the Dragon's Prophet closed beta so I could easily see a "Breeder" as a craft working. Being able to tame wild creatures of your craft level and sell them... maybe not as mounts since clipping may be difficult for some creatures but being able to produce non-combat companion pets instead. The higher the level of the crafter, the higher the level of the creature he could transmute into a non-combat companion. I don't know so much about stats; but storage could work without provoking an imbalance in the game between people of the craft and people not of it.

• SxHxIxFxTxYSxHxIxFxTxY Member UncommonPosts: 21
    I want this game to hurry up and come out.
  • ButterNuttzzButterNuttzz Member Posts: 18
    I expect them to add more jobs like samauri and others from previous games just need to be patient it will happen in the future either on a patch or expansion
  • RalstlinRalstlin Member UncommonPosts: 234

just wait 2 more months ^^

I think FFXIV is going to work because too many people is cautelous about the game.. no too much hype from people who did not play beta, so will be a great surprise for the great majority of people when they test it.

• RzepRzep Member UncommonPosts: 767
    I want FF14 to be F2P cause I've no trust in Square-Enix.