Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Wars: The Old Republic: EA Scores Multi-Game Publishing Rights to Star Wars Titles

Comments

• AvarixAvarix Member RarePosts: 665
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    Remind me again

how many years is it now since ea made a good game?

For me it's 2009 with Dragon Age Origins. I haven't played Mass Effect 3 yet to judge it. From my understanding, based on what I have read, it's good except for the ending.

As for the OP, I think it's a bit depressing. I don't agree with some people saying how awful the games will be. I think they can actually pull off some decent ones, if not better. What I don't like is EA's business model. Always-on DRM, a good chunk of the game being DLC on release day, and just the general greed of it all. The Star Wars IP won't change that.

I will never forget playing Dragon Age Origins, during this certain instance. I was in the camp and I walked over to a guy offering me a quest. As I listened to it, and then accepted, he redirected me to my wallet. I had to purchase this particular quest if I wanted to continue. It wasn't just a break in immersion, it was outright jarring. That, to me, is EA in a nutshell. Game monetization crossed a line for me that day. I'll pass on the future SW games. Luckily, I have never been a crazy fan of the IP. 

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Yeah probably da:o or crysis:warhead, anyway a good 4 years + ago, when you consider the sheer volume of games ea pump out, over 4 years without one of them sticking to the wall is bad form.
  • TalinTalin Member UncommonPosts: 918
    The success of these future games will be largely based on how tightly Disney manages the license. Unless I'm sorely mistaken, Disney can reserve the right to be involved in design and approvals of each game based on the license, so let's hope that keeps EA (and whatever substudio makes the game) moving in the "right" direction.
  • KillbaneKillbane Member UncommonPosts: 23
    SWTOR has the best questing experience from any MMO I have played. The problem is there weren't enough of them or content at endgame in general. They also failed epically on endgame pvp making the gear have huge stat gaps and a major grind while underpowered isn't fun for anyone. The other problem was the bad publicity where EA stated that SWTOR was not a priority. Hopefully EA learned something from these mistakes.

Solo play is for off-line players.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

I think if they avoid making MMOs, and avoid trying to release games that are tied tightly into the movies, then it will probably be OK. It may not be great, but it shouldn't be horrible.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• wizyywizyy Member UncommonPosts: 629
    Originally posted by MikeB
    Originally posted by JeroKane

WHAHAHA! I just don't know if I can't stop laughing........... or crying really.

I guess this marks the end of Star Wars for gamers at least. /sad

Bit melodramatic, I think. Who else could you have realistically seen this license going to?

Personally, I'd love to see Battlefront 3 finally get made as a Frostbite-powered game. As for future Star Wars MMOs, I'm not going to touch that one (today ;)).

Yeah, everyone keeps thinking of Bioware MMORPG fail and forgets about DICE and FROSTBITE!

BATTLEFRONT 3 ON FROSTBITE 3!       *faints*

• doodphacedoodphace Member UncommonPosts: 1,858
    Originally posted by Punk999
    Goodbye starwar games image

I'm not so sure this is 100% a negative thing. The best star wars game ever made was from Bioware.

Not to mention that if DICE got their hands on Balltefront, imagine what could happen.

Name a good star wars game made with ea in charge.

Kotor was prior to ea buyout, Kotor 2 was obsidian.
  • ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063
    Originally posted by Sevenstar61
    Question now is if BioWare's ME4 and DA3 are going to be pushed on the second bench so new SW games in SW 7 timeframe can be developed .....

I have no doubt in my mind that this is what will happen. I'm also getting a kick out of the folks who thought an internet poll carried any weight in the grand scheme of things.

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

• CazNeergCazNeerg Member Posts: 2,198
    Now that LucasArts no longer exists (and hadn't made a decent game in years anyway) the only company still in existence which has ever made a better Star Wars game than BioWare has is Obsidian, so this news really isn't that bad.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
    Through passion, I gain strength.
    Through strength, I gain power.
    Through power, I gain victory.
    Through victory, my chains are broken.
    The Force shall free me.

There has only been one Star Wars game made by Bioware since EA was in charge, but I can name you 4 amaizing Bioware games made since EA was "in charge". Not to mention that the 1 star was game may have been a sub par MMO, it was pretty good as a story driven star wars game in general...much better than the force unleashed.

Keep in mind that SWTOR was made by Bioware Austin as well, a completly diff studio than ME/KOTOR.

• YuuiYuui Member UncommonPosts: 723

Star Wars Battlefront. 

DICE developing a starwars game? Yes pleas.e

Visceral making an M-rated strar wars game? YES PLEASE.

Bioware getting a third chance for KOTOR game? Fine by me. 

# A GRIM, ODD, ARCANE SKY
    # ANY GOD, I MARK SACRED
    # A MASKED CRY ADORING
    # A DREAMY, SICK DRAGON

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Remind me again

When did Me 3 come out? That would be my answer.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

Originally posted by Distopia
    Remind me again

When did Me 3 come out? That would be my answer.

Not to mention, BF3 > CoD.

• TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,025
    Originally posted by wizyy
    Originally posted by MikeB
    Originally posted by JeroKane

WHAHAHA! I just don't know if I can't stop laughing........... or crying really.

I guess this marks the end of Star Wars for gamers at least. /sad

Bit melodramatic, I think. Who else could you have realistically seen this license going to?

Personally, I'd love to see Battlefront 3 finally get made as a Frostbite-powered game. As for future Star Wars MMOs, I'm not going to touch that one (today ;)).

Yeah, everyone keeps thinking of Bioware MMORPG fail and forgets about DICE and FROSTBITE!

BATTLEFRONT 3 ON FROSTBITE 3!       *faints*

Sadly this excites many but is exactly what I said earlier ... get ready for the re-skinned clones of games that already exist.

EA and Activision do one thing only: They copy games over and over and over again and players keep buying the same games over and over and over again.

What many here are trying to point out is that we would actually like to see a f#cking original game put out for Star Wars that isn't just a re-skinned client of some other game.

You stay sassy!

Originally posted by Tamanous

What many here are trying to point out is that we would actually like to see a f#cking original game put out for Star Wars that isn't just a re-skinned client of some other game.

Define what you mean by original.  The only thing inherently different about a Star Wars game than any other game is the specific impacts on the story that result from use of the IP.  EA has already proven they can provide Star Wars stories that go beyond the cliched "Jedi Knight Saves the Galaxy" standard for Star Wars gaming.  Most of the class stories in TOR were unprecedented in Star Wars games, and better executed than those in most modern RPGs.  Is BioWare's writing as good as Obsidian's?  Most of the time, no, but it is still better than almost any other game company can produce.  And if you are going to respond with some argument about story not being what matters, then you don't really care about the Star Wars aspect of the games anyway, do you?

The Force shall free me.

The story I played in swtor - trooper, was poor.

Bioware may have had good writers once, but to say so on the evidence of swtor is loopy.

It doesn't have "better story than most rpgs, except obsidians"

Hell bethseda and cdprojekt do better story for a start. There's even mmos that do storey better - tsw.

Dood
    Ps2 and tribes better than both.
    The story I played in swtor - trooper, was poor.

Bioware may have had good writers once, but to say so on the evidence of swtor is loopy.

It doesn't have "better story than most rpgs, except obsidians"

Hell bethseda and cdprojekt do better story for a start. There's even mmos that do storey better - tsw.

Haven't gotten far on Trooper myself.  Agent was excellent.  Several others were good, with the average quality of writing (both class and shared) being substantially higher on the Imperial side of the game.  Several class stories were better than the central narrative in the first KotOR.  

As for TSW (and any Bethesda game since Daggerfall for that matter) they are completely lacking in a very important element in a compelling narrative; a well presented protagonist.  A story driven game doesn't necessarily need a player character as heavily defined as the one in Mass Effect, but in TSW or Bethesda games, there is no character there at all, just a graphical avatar who interacts with the non-narrative aspects of the game world.  The narrative is completely non-participatory in such games, you simply earn the right to observe a static story of which you aren't really a part by completing gameplay objectives.  BioWare and Obsidian on the other hand emphasize giving an actual narrative identity to the player character, and giving the player a degree of control over how that identity is shaped.

Though I will grant you, if you don't care about your character actually being a character rather than just an avatar, it is more than fair to say the story in TSW is stronger than in TOR.  But I would say that generally speaking, when talking about an interactive medium like computer games, participatory story is superior to non-participatory story.  It can be more than a little jarring to have choices during gameplay, then have all choice vanish into thin air any time you enter a narrative interaction with another character.

To get back to the main thrust of the thread, the simple fact that EA has the publishing rights to Star Wars games is not a legitimate cause for alarm when BioWare is still, at worst, the second-best currently existing development house to ever release a Star Wars game.  And let's face it, with Disney's obvious disdain for non-mobile gaming, they were never going to want to pay enough attention to the licensing to license things on a game by game basis, which is the only way Obsidian could have ever hoped to afford a license.

The Force shall free me.

• EcnaliEcnali Member CommonPosts: 49
    Nooooo!  In my heart of hearts, I so want SWG to be resurrected and just knew that Disney would set right  all the wrong decisions made by SOE and Lucas Arts. It is apparent now that no MMO will ever again bring such amazing things as the crafting, resource gathering and housing that SWG accomplished.  Disney has broken my heart.
  • achesomaachesoma Member RarePosts: 1,725
    Originally posted by Ecnali
    Nooooo!  In my heart of hearts, I so want SWG to be resurrected and just knew that Disney would set right  all the wrong decisions made by SOE and Lucas Arts. It is apparent now that no MMO will ever again bring such amazing things as the crafting, resource gathering and housing that SWG accomplished.  Disney has broken my heart.

You will never see the type of game swg was with any major IP again. It simply won't make the kind of money these companies are looking for. Sure, it  could turn a profit but no where near what a loot-grind, cash shop game could make. 

Preaching Pantheon to People at PAX  PAX East 2018 Day 4 - YouTube
  • tokyo121tokyo121 Member UncommonPosts: 10

As long as Bioware has a hand in everything NOT mmo related, this has potential to turn out well for gamers. Bioware did extremely well on KOTOR I&II. We'll see if EA allows them to return to the single-player Star Wars-type.

• AdamaiAdamai Member UncommonPosts: 476
    Well so much for the era of starwars games.. I suppose after 36 years it had to end sooner or later.
  • SanguinelustSanguinelust Member UncommonPosts: 812
    Doesn't sound like good news to me. I've been gaming a long time now and I've seen EA go through some serious dissapointments. It's just too bad they are one of the major players in the market with such a shitty track record.