Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Wars: The Old Republic: EA Scores Multi-Game Publishing Rights to Star Wars Titles

Comments

• firefly2003firefly2003 Member UncommonPosts: 2,527
    Originally posted by gwarf

I almost never post, just lurk.

This is terrible news.

I would say this would be like giving all future Star Wars movies to Michal Bay. (Yup, it's that bad)

Yup, I think that about sums up my feelings:-(

They already did that with the new SW film coming in 2015 with J.J Abrams (modern Michael Bay)

• ignore_meignore_me Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,987
    Originally posted by BadOrb

So yeah , I even thought about what superniceguy said before I read it , might shut it down but if you think carefully about it  then  well it's making money and it would take 5 years at least to make an MMO then NOPE. Also was good too see Ignore Me trying to find a new hobby as well no more propaganda from me  ( i guessed it right or at least read into the guys quote ) . Tie fighter seems upset too. Really enjoyed reading sevenstar's posts "go for it girl!".

So all in all it seems like SWTOR with it's 2.3 boxes or digital initial sales nad the Freemium change over has been profitable , read that PROFITABLE. How do I  know ? Well O EA execs "Disney bought LUCAS OUT WTF!! They also shut LUCASARTS OMGBBQWAFFLES!!!!!! SO SWTOR is doing badly , so et's buy the gaming frnchise to make less money ha ha "

At least it will shut the SWG crowd down , err yeah right............

Cheers,

BadOrb.

I'm big enough to say that I was wrong and you were right. What you were saying was so repugnant to me that I reacted strongly, and without the facts. So I apologize.

But,

This genre is in an inexorable slide into stupidity, excused and mitigated by the lack of subscription fees by F2P, and now the Star Wars IP will lead that charge.

fin

Survivor of the great MMORPG Famine of 2011

• MerklynnMerklynn Member UncommonPosts: 100
    I'm a sucker for Star Wars so even if a title ends up just so so I can only blame myself for supporting it. I never got too far in SWTOR but if EA can get a new SW Battlefront out based on the upcoming sequels I'll be happy.
  • orionblackorionblack Member UncommonPosts: 493
    Originally posted by DavisFlight
    Originally posted by Precusor
    Originally posted by superniceguy
    Originally posted by Sevenstar61
    At least one happy camper here LOL. That means that SWTOR is here to stay for a long time :) Nothing could make me happier that this announcement :)

No necessarily, it could mean that they shut down SWTOR so they can focus on other SW games that actually gets them a profit

Why? SWTOR still has allot of players

A lot of free to play users != a lot of actual paying players. If the game was doing well it wouldn't have lost most of its dev staff and merged all the servers.

True this, what i'm thinking is (bear with me please)..maybe,just maybe they shut down the mmo and make a proper Old Republic title for pc and consoles. I really still hold on to my belief that if SWToR was released as a single player game with online options it would have been a TREMENDOUS hit, not the fail mmo it is. And before someone says that they got a million registered accounts, in a free to play title that means nothing really.

• GhavriggGhavrigg Member RarePosts: 1,308
    Originally posted by SuperDonk
    Originally posted by Sevenstar61
    Originally posted by InsaneDalek

Meh, no big deal. I'll reserve judgment until I actually see what they're going to do. There's at least a little potential here. DICE doing SW Battlefront 3 could be awesome. Also, I think Visceral Games could do very well with a Dead Space style game featuring lightsaber combat...

Wait and see, I suppose.

I could not say it better. All this prejudice without even knowing what's ahead of us is... illogical.

What is illogical is ignoring the past, especially the recent past.

Exactly what I was gonna say.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

Well to be honest ,not many can handle an Epic title such as the Star Wars Ip.However to also be honest EA/Bioware did not do a good enough  job,they did not give this title the love it deserved.So imo they had their chance.IMO they are simply trying to keep other hands off this IP.

IMO they did and always will make money off the IP alone,weather they put out a good product or not.Also imo i would rather see SOE again.I  know  they can be generic as well ,but i still feel they would do a better job.As a gamer that is all we can ask for right,is to do a little better next time or bonus if they do a LOT better.

I would be more understanding if SWTOR was done by an Indie develoepr with little cash,but this is a giant who has the money to do itright but chose to go a little on the cheap end and imo rush the product out.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Meanwhile at EA HQ...

EA Corporate offices -" All studios hault production of your current projects and begin reskinning them into Star Wars immediately."

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

Worse news this year..

Now we will get a bunch of very expensive games with most of the content only available via additional DLC..

Good bye star wars games.. I was really hopnig Disney would do somthing good but sadly they went with EA the company voted the worst in the US two years in a row..

Good work

• jpnzjpnz Member Posts: 3,529
    Originally posted by orionblack

True this, what i'm thinking is (bear with me please)..maybe,just maybe they shut down the mmo and make a proper Old Republic title for pc and consoles. I really still hold on to my belief that if SWToR was released as a single player game with online options it would have been a TREMENDOUS hit, not the fail mmo it is. And before someone says that they got a million registered accounts, in a free to play title that means nothing really.

EA is on public record saying the F2P SWTOR is actually performing beyond what they expected.

Whether you know enough about financial disclosures to understand why that statement has to be true is another question.

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

• WalterWhiteWalterWhite Member UncommonPosts: 411

Star Wars is one of, if not the most recognised movie based franchise on this planet that has spawned many other incarnations from games, books, videogames, cartoons, clothing and more and generates billions of dollars per year. But, it seems like the videogames part of that whole cash generating Star Wars behemoth still doesn't have as much straight forward direction as the other parts.

For years, there have been many mediocre Star Wars games and a few have been excellent but they are few and far between, many years ago and usually end up getting poor sequels.

What is going on, it's Star Wars ffs, the games shouldn't be that hard to inject with fun, excitement, passion and adventure like the movies they are based on but they are put in the hands of unimaginative developer drones who only see $$$$$ in front of there eyes. 

The future doesn't look any better now which is a shame as I bet anyone here could come up with a better idea for a game than the people making them.

• alakramalakram Member UncommonPosts: 2,301
    SWToR must be doing it good if they got that deal.

• DocBrodyDocBrody Member UncommonPosts: 1,926
    WTH. The only real Star Wars type game will be Star Citizen. I´ll stick with that. It will be better than anything EAware is able to come up with.
  • ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Oh dear

Close Lucas arts
    Hand all sw games to ea.

Guess we are in for several years of shite sw games to cash in on the new movies then.
  • DreskestDreskest Member Posts: 69

ROFL These news mean we are going to have all the silly bitter people bitching and moaning for years to come on websites like this.

EA must be pretty happy about this. Lots of free advertising since it's obvious that getting voted worst company in America only brings big bucks into their pockets.

Well played EA, and by the way, I have no problems sending more money your way.

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534
    Originally posted by MikeB
    Originally posted by JeroKane

WHAHAHA! I just don't know if I can't stop laughing........... or crying really.

I guess this marks the end of Star Wars for gamers at least. /sad

Bit melodramatic, I think. Who else could you have realistically seen this license going to?

Personally, I'd love to see Battlefront 3 finally get made as a Frostbite-powered game. As for future Star Wars MMOs, I'm not going to touch that one (today ;)).

forgelight > frostbite

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• AnthurAnthur Member UncommonPosts: 961

So the chances to get a better, different Star Wars MMO anytime soon are 1 million to one or less. Anyway, having said this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=As0v-tzU-PY

• Mors.MagneMors.Magne Member UncommonPosts: 1,549

EA Games have had so many failures that I don't know how they are still doing business.

Here is a list of their games - look at all the game that turned out to be really disappointing:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electronic_Arts#Notable_games_published

Thane
    Yeah, imagine if Sony had the license, could have an awesome battle of both using lightforge.
  • AbimorAbimor Member RarePosts: 870
    Well this just makes me sad look at what ea has done with madden with no competition.
    Great starwars games made by Lucas arts
    X wing
    Tie fighter
    Dark forces
    Jedi knight
    Jedi knight 2
    Jedi academy
    Battlefront 1
    Battlefront 2
    Etc..

Great statwars games made by ea
    Err...............

Stupid Disney.
  • sumo0sumo0 Member UncommonPosts: 115
    No more Star Wars for me i guess. Star Trek is far superior anyways.
  • superniceguysuperniceguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,278
    Originally posted by BadOrb

So yeah , I even thought about what superniceguy said before I read it , might shut it down but if you think carefully about it  then  well it's making money and it would take 5 years at least to make an MMO then NOPE. Also was good too see Ignore Me trying to find a new hobby as well no more propaganda from me  ( i guessed it right or at least read into the guys quote ) . Tie fighter seems upset too. Really enjoyed reading sevenstar's posts "go for it girl!".

So all in all it seems like SWTOR with it's 2.3 boxes or digital initial sales nad the Freemium change over has been profitable , read that PROFITABLE. How do I  know ? Well O EA execs "Disney bought LUCAS OUT WTF!! They also shut LUCASARTS OMGBBQWAFFLES!!!!!! SO SWTOR is doing badly , so et's buy the gaming frnchise to make less money ha ha "

At least it will shut the SWG crowd down , err yeah right............

Cheers,

BadOrb.

Star Wars is always profitable but as SWTOR, I doubt it is profitable. It cost loads to make, and takes 500k subs or the equivalent of $7.5 million per month to break even, as what Frank of EA said.

They will get more money releasing a single player SW game each year for $60 or more, and then milking it with tonnes of DLC, Dead Space 3 style, than trying to keep SWTOR running.

eg 2014 -KOTOR 3, 2015 KOTOR 4, 2016 KOTOR 5 etc etc

At least if SWTOR does get shut down, the devs will not lose their jobs.

• RavingRabbidRavingRabbid Member UncommonPosts: 1,168

OMG! OMG! Doom and Gloom!!! EA has aquired the License to Star Wars games.....run for the Hills! Run for your life! EA will impregnate your wife or girlfriend!!! OMG!!! Ill never buy another video game again! Stop being drama queens. Sometimes I cant help but laugh at the knee jerk responses on this site.  I dont care who makes a title as long as that game is fun for me. I reserve judgment by game for game basis not who makes it. EA has made some games I've enjoyed in the past so I see what they offer for the future.

All my opinions are just that..opinions. If you like my opinions..coolness.If you dont like my opinion....I really dont care.
    Playing: ESO, WOT, Smite, and Marvel Heroes

• Nebula131Nebula131 Member Posts: 22

yay..nay..yay..cant decide.. O.o

bioware yay..

dice had some fine games (imagine a jedi themed game like mirror's edge)

if EA would just stop pushing them into early releases this could rock..

Remind me again

how many years is it now since ea made a good game?