Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Wars: The Old Republic: EA Scores Multi-Game Publishing Rights to Star Wars Titles

Comments

• SuperDonkSuperDonk Member UncommonPosts: 759
    Well,... this just ruined my day.
  • LevicusLevicus Member Posts: 22
    EA Strikes Back (or is it again)

Well, looks like I won't be touching any future SW games.
  • SwaneaSwanea Member UncommonPosts: 2,401
    Originally posted by ragz45
    Originally posted by Swanea

Considering how awesome Battlefield 3 is....

If they made Battlefront 3 with the new engine, the game would just be unreal and amazing.

I'm hoping for a new Xwing vs Tie. That'd be awesome.

I think i just cried a little.

You'll be fine.

• KhalathwyrKhalathwyr Member UncommonPosts: 3,133
    Originally posted by MikeB
    Originally posted by JeroKane

WHAHAHA! I just don't know if I can't stop laughing........... or crying really.

I guess this marks the end of Star Wars for gamers at least. /sad

Bit melodramatic, I think. Who else could you have realistically seen this license going to?

Personally, I'd love to see Battlefront 3 finally get made as a Frostbite-powered game. As for future Star Wars MMOs, I'm not going to touch that one (today ;)).

That about sums up my stance on future Star Wars MMOs. Not going to touch them.

As for any single player Star Wars titles, well, I haven't really purchased any on the past so I doubt right now I will purchase any in the future. Especially since I've basically shifted to buying only indie type games (think Paradox Interactive and Stardock) and games done via Kickstarter buy "old school" industry vets. Not really interested in anything modern day mainstream big name game companies are doing.

"Many nights, my friend... Many nights I've put a blade to your throat while you were sleeping. Glad I never killed you, Steve. You're alright..."

Chavez y Chavez

• FusionFusion Member UncommonPosts: 1,398
    First they scrap 1313 because of the Disney bull****, now Disney sold the rights to EA... Bye bye Starwars in all mediums..
    http://neocron-game.com/ - now totally F2P no cash-shops or micro transactions at all.
  • DahkohtDahkoht Member UncommonPosts: 479

Come on folks , as the SWTOR defender  pointed out we are all being melodramatic. there's no reason to think this won't end well.

EA has a GREAT track record lately on the PC side , look at their successes on the mmorpg side.

They made a game that was supposed to compete with WoW sub wise ( in their own words) and managed to make it F2P in less than year.

Took SimCity franchise  and managed to get it rated as failing by most every major PC gaming website and magazine , even PC Gamer which usually takes a lot to negatively review a major publishers game raked it across the coals.

EA has a wonderful track record in the PC games lately and everyone should be excited right ?

• TsaboHavocTsaboHavoc Member UncommonPosts: 435
    Originally posted by Dahkoht

Come on folks , as the SWTOR defender  pointed out we are all being melodramatic. there's no reason to think this won't end well.

EA has a GREAT track record lately on the PC side , look at their successes on the mmorpg side.

They made a game that was supposed to compete with WoW sub wise ( in their own words) and managed to make it F2P in less than year.

Took SimCity franchise  and managed to get it rated as failing by most every major PC gaming website and magazine , even PC Gamer which usually takes a lot to negatively review a major publishers game raked it across the coals.

EA has a wonderful track record in the PC games lately and everyone should be excited right ?

u mean, the same anti - consumerist EA?

• simsalabim77simsalabim77 Member RarePosts: 1,607

So, did I get in here before the proverbial raincloud of MMORPG.com doom and gloomers rolled in?

edit: Nevermind. We're on page four already. It was a redundant question. 

• akiira69akiira69 Member UncommonPosts: 615
    Originally posted by Acornia

As much as I love the Star Wars IP, I think this is the worst thing Dinsey could of done in giving EA to make games for the IP.

Based on past history that EA has in making games and SWTOR, I do not think that I will be buying any Star Wars games they make over the next few years.

This is interesting seeing that EA isnt making SWTOR BioWare/Mythic is EA is the Publisher and Hosts the Serveers. As for the worst thing Disney could have done well that would be having Sony make a Star Wars game or did you forget how Sony screwed up Star Wars Galaxies.

"Possibly we humans can exist without actually having to fight. But many of us have chosen to fight. For what reason? To protect something? Protect what? Ourselves? The future? If we kill people to protect ourselves and this future, then what sort of future is it, and what will we have become? There is no future for those who have died. And what of those who did the killing? Is happiness to be found in a future that is grasped with blood stained hands? Is that the truth?"

• FusionFusion Member UncommonPosts: 1,398
    Originally posted by akiira69
    Originally posted by Acornia

As much as I love the Star Wars IP, I think this is the worst thing Dinsey could of done in giving EA to make games for the IP.

Based on past history that EA has in making games and SWTOR, I do not think that I will be buying any Star Wars games they make over the next few years.

This is interesting seeing that EA isnt making SWTOR BioWare/Mythic is EA is the Publisher and Hosts the Serveers.

Bioware/Mythic EA = EA owns them both = calls the shots.

http://neocron-game.com/ - now totally F2P no cash-shops or micro transactions at all.
  • Sevenstar61Sevenstar61 Member UncommonPosts: 1,686
    At least one happy camper here LOL. That means that SWTOR is here to stay for a long time :) Nothing could make me happier that this announcement :)

Sith Warrior - Story of Hate and Love http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxKrlwXt7Ao
    Imperial Agent - Rise of Cipher Nine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBBj3eJWBvU&feature=youtu.be
    Imperial Agent - Hunt for the Eagle Part 1http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQqjYYU128E

• DauzqulDauzqul Member RarePosts: 1,982
    Does this mean that other companies cannot license a Star Wars game?
  • DauzqulDauzqul Member RarePosts: 1,982
    Originally posted by Sevenstar61
    At least one happy camper here LOL. That means that SWTOR is here to stay for a long time :) Nothing could make me happier that this announcement :)

I bet you loved the Power Glove.

• spookydomspookydom Member UncommonPosts: 1,782
    I wanted to say something important but still laughing at the power glove picture.
    Originally posted by Dauzqul
    Does this mean that other companies cannot license a Star Wars game?

YEP

Electronic Arts will be the exclusive provider of games based on the Star Wars series, Disney and the game developer announced jointly today.

Here is annoucement.

Quote:

BURBANK & REDWOOD CITY, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--The Walt Disney Company (NYSE: DIS) and Electronic Arts Inc. (NASDAQ: EA) today announced a new multi-year exclusive licensing agreement to develop and publish globally new games based on Star Wars characters and storylines.

Under the agreement, EA will develop and publish new Star Wars titles for a core gaming audience, spanning all interactive platforms and the most popular game genres, while Disney will retain certain rights to develop new titles within the mobile, social, tablet and online game categories. (not sure what that means - online game categorie - MMO????)

“This agreement demonstrates our commitment to creating quality game experiences that drive the popularity of the Star Wars franchise for years to come,” said John Pleasants, Co-President of Disney Interactive. “Collaborating with one of the world’s premier game developers will allow us to bring an amazing portfolio of new Star Wars titles to our fans around the world.”

“Every developer dreams of creating games for the Star Wars universe,” said EA Labels President Frank Gibeau. “Three of our top studios will fulfill that dream, crafting epic adventures for Star Wars fans. DICE and Visceral will produce new games, joining the BioWare team which continues to develop for the Star Wars franchise. The new experiences we create may borrow from films, but the games will be entirely original with all new stories and gameplay.”

Financial terms of the agreement were not disclosed.

Sith Warrior - Story of Hate and Love http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxKrlwXt7Ao
    Imperial Agent - Rise of Cipher Nine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBBj3eJWBvU&feature=youtu.be
    Imperial Agent - Hunt for the Eagle Part 1http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQqjYYU128E

• DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556
    Originally posted by MikeB
    Originally posted by JeroKane

WHAHAHA! I just don't know if I can't stop laughing........... or crying really.

I guess this marks the end of Star Wars for gamers at least. /sad

Bit melodramatic, I think. Who else could you have realistically seen this license going to?

Personally, I'd love to see Battlefront 3 finally get made as a Frostbite-powered game. As for future Star Wars MMOs, I'm not going to touch that one (today ;)).

Well if ruins all hope of a good MMORPG. EA has utterly destroyed every single MMO they've ever touched. (Sims, WAR, SWTOR, Earth and Beyond) and their track record with other franchises is not great. Not only do they murder all the great franchises of the companies they buy out, but their own frontrunners die too (Mass Effect 3, Medal of Honor, Dragon Age 2, Dead Space 3).

They're a horrible company. Always on DRM, microtransactions, Origin, there is no hope for the franchise.

As for Battlefront, BF3 had the idiotic server browser OUTSIDE the game, and generally WORSE features than BF2. I would not like to see how they make BattleF3 even worse than the slipshod Battlefront 2.

• superniceguysuperniceguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,278

No necessarily, it could mean that they shut down SWTOR so they can focus on other SW games that actually gets them a profit

• PrecusorPrecusor Member UncommonPosts: 3,589
    I absolutely love the  FrostBite 3 engine so to me this is good news.
  • Blazer6992Blazer6992 Member UncommonPosts: 642

SWG2

Originally posted by superniceguy

No necessarily, it could mean that they shut down SWTOR so they can focus on other SW games that actually gets them a profit

LOL sorry, but SWTOR is here to stay... it creates enough profit.

Oh.. DICE can create some amazing stuff.

Why? SWTOR still has allot of players

• simsalabim77simsalabim77 Member RarePosts: 1,607

That's an interesting theory, but not one anyone is likey to take seriously given your post history. 

• superniceguysuperniceguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,278
    Originally posted by Precusor

So did City of Heroes

• DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556
    Originally posted by Precusor

A lot of free to play users != a lot of actual paying players. If the game was doing well it wouldn't have lost most of its dev staff and merged all the servers.