Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What's with the "I hope this game fails" crowd?

Comments

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452
    Originally posted by Pixel_Jockey
    Originally posted by Distopia
    Originally posted by Shadowguy64
    The people that hope games fail are the same people who hate America.

Use the cash shop or the terrorists win? image

Luckily Dubya isn't in charge still or you might have actually invaded Azeroth.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by Robokapp
    Originally posted by Robokapp
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

People wishing for the failure of things that do not hurt anyone physically or emotionally are sick.

I wich the best to all of you may the best win, thats gallant and knightly.   Now compare that i hope you die so i will win attitude and it tells you more then enough about those people saying so.

is the concept of 'from death comes rebirth' too difficult to understand ?

I don't think it's hard to understand, yet I do not think it's something that will really work in this case.

again...you're most likely right. but it only needs to work once. out of the thousands of pieces of crap kickstarter is churning out, one or two might be a hit.

because of kickstarter we actually have a teeny bit more control over which way industry goes from here. it's not a lot but...it's something. assuming 1 in 1000 or 0.1% will be good is fair. 

I agree, kickstarter may very well be a good source to look to for games more appealing to this type of crowd. Granted there's certainly a lot of "trash" to sift through to find those gems. Not to put things coming out of kickstarter down as trash across the board, I used that as an expression more than anything.

The only way I think we'll see a rise of the AAA sandbox or even something all new, is if a big company takes a risk ( SOE possibly with EQ next), and in doing so hits it big in terms of success.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• BadaboomBadaboom Member UncommonPosts: 2,380
    Originally posted by DavisFlight

A game that promotes an unhealthy shift in the gengre/industry, a game that screws over its players, these deserve to close, to encourage other devs NOT to follow their example.

SWTOR needed to die to show that themeparks with monthly fees don't work, and that anti-MMOs are not popular with the MMO crowd.

I think you are wrong.  I still think the sub model is the best payment model from the gamers perspective. 

• TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619
    Originally posted by Badaboom

I think you are wrong.  I still think the sub model is the best payment model from the gamers perspective. 

Everytime I see your avatar all I can think of is "MultiPass".  LOL

"Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• easy-reasy-r Member Posts: 38
    I don't care whether or not a game succeeds or fails.  WoW was not for me but I'm fine with it appeasing the masses.  I would just like for there to be Some decent game released that can stand among the games I consider great and that I will enjoy playing.  I'm glad there are lots of easy cartoonish games to please the immature stupid people.  I can't speculate to what others reasons for hoping a game fails are but they could be anything from disliking: cash-shop cash-grabs, games that aren't good enough to support p2p being mass produced, and gameplay-lacking fetch-quest set-path wow clones, "pvp arena" games.
  • PulsarManPulsarMan Member Posts: 289

I could never hope for a game to fail. I'm just not that kind of person. 

A group of individuals put years of their lives into the development of a complex piece of software. A process the vast majority of us can only begin to imagine.

A game may launch, and not be your cup of tea. It may not even be what you, or the developer had imagined when they started. But it still took years of dedicated work to get there. In this industry, and especially our genre, it is a major accomplishment to launch a title at all. I can only hope that that any particular developer is successful in their endeavor, and manages to find an audence. 

Our industry does not need failure to grow. If games fail, fewer of them will be made. The risk in MMO development is a very large factor in why we get such cookie cutter experiences. They're safe investments. People on here will clamor that X game would be a factor of Y better if it would only do Z the way they think it should be done. The problem is, players only think they know what they want. When really, the next big thing to knock your on your rearend will very likely be something you never thought of in the first place. 

“If I had asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses.” ? Henry Ford

• Pixel_JockeyPixel_Jockey Member Posts: 165
    Originally posted by Talonsin

It makes me want to watch 5th Element again.

• QuirhidQuirhid Member UncommonPosts: 6,230
    More than likely the malevolent posters are just selfish / self-centered.

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317

Great assumption, you must make allot of money as a fortune teller. 

I'm not a grammar or spelling nazi by any means, I just wanna say a lot  (the usage you're using) is not one word.. :) /carry on..

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

• Shadowguy64Shadowguy64 Member Posts: 848
    Originally posted by Quirhid

Like the guys on the ESO forums because the MMO version isn't exactly like the single-player game?

• DrakynnDrakynn Member Posts: 2,030

It's the nature of interent forums,anonymity seems to breed extremist views and sel centered words.This is notihng new,peopel seem to forget there was jsut as much bitching and moaning at the birth of this genre when sandbox was king.A lot of the mechanics we have today liek Instancing are born from player complaints from back then.

When the cycle shifts back to sandbox again which it seems it is soon,the amount of complaining and ill will will remain the same you just may see different names indulging in it but soem will be the same.

• BadaboomBadaboom Member UncommonPosts: 2,380
    Originally posted by Talonsin

It makes me want to watch 5th Element again.

You guys would probably like my sig then: 

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    Spite payoff, no risk. To a certain type of mind, it's the perfect setup.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699

I hope this thread fails :)

Those threads always end up being 10 pages long.  It's the best way to start forum PvP.  Both sides rally the troops and fight begins.

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    Originally posted by dave6660

Those threads always end up being 10 pages long.  It's the best way to start forum PvP.  Both sides rally the troops and fight begins.

You have someplace else to be?

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• faxnadufaxnadu Member UncommonPosts: 940
    Originally posted by RefMinor
    When it is another crappy generic WoW clone, it's failure will herald the moving of the market away from such dross. It's success means there is still money to be made and developers will not look towards innovation.

every game is a clone of something , there is no need to define just as wow clone.

• kullninjakullninja Member Posts: 8
    ok I am getting sick with all of this wow clones bull crap wow is a everquest clone!!. It started with everquest not wow so please stop referring every game that comes out is a wow clone not true it is everquest.
  • BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465
    I think it is partially a response to the massive hype train that precedes every launch these days, including those for F2P games. Nothing disappoints like unwarranted hype. The other part is when companies do a crappy job with a popular or well-known IP. STO, TOR, and now Neverwinter are all examples. When a company licenses that IP, they do it for the name recognition and built-in fan base. But when they do a lousy job with that IP, they have legitimately earned the ire of those same fans. And, for fans of an IP, there is no way for another MMO made using that IP, until the current crappy one goes down. Thus, the hope that bad games fail.
  • dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699
    Originally posted by Icewhite
    Originally posted by dave6660

You have someplace else to be?

I didn't know you cared.  How nice.

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908
    Originally posted by Vesavius
    When looking through the forums I see allot of  people say "I hope X game fails". I am curious where the logic is in hoping a game fails.

Do you actually read the posts properly that hope a game 'fails'? Usually the folks hoping for this state their reasons.

I would guess that you actually do but just choose to ignore their points because they might not agree with your own.

Great assumption, you must make allot of money as a fortune teller. 

Hey, I made no predictions. I clearly asked a question and clearly said I was making a guess.

I am fully prepared for that guess to be wrong but you don't bother to point out how it could be, prefering to use cliche generic forum responses that don't actually mean anything.

• alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584
    When looking through the forums I see allot of  people say "I hope X game fails". I am curious where the logic is in hoping a game fails. Just because a certain game is not for you, what do you benefit if it fails? I personally do not care for most of the MMOs out right now, but I know allot of people enjoy them. I don't see why hoping a game someone else enjoys fails can be a benefit. Don't get me wrong, I'm not persecuting those who make those statements, I am just curious as to why they are made? 

most of time that come from a certain IP people like and the game don't deliver, like SWTOR and neverwinter, also games who ahve a huge investment on it too.

the reason is simple most of devs and investors don't want to take risks so they only do what they think will be a sucess ( aka let's copy wow ) we are tired of it and want something new, something who really brings something new to table, so in resume people want this games to fail so the confort zone of devs and investor don't exist and they start to back new ideas and make the market move forward like it was before.

nowadays you only find games being a copy of each other and save for really rare one, they bring something new to the table and even so its not much for the fear to fail.

FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
  • SlampigSlampig Member UncommonPosts: 2,342
    Love how this took about 5 replies to devolve into an anti-WoW thread... Way to not stick to the topic, then again, seems typical for this sites users...

That Guild Wars 2 login screen knocked up my wife. Must be the second coming!

• kartoolkartool Member UncommonPosts: 520
    Originally posted by BearKnight
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

People wishing for the failure of things that do not hurt anyone physically or emotionally are sick.

I wich the best to all of you may the best win, thats gallant and knightly.   Now compare that i hope you die so i will win attitude and it tells you more then enough about those people saying so.

That's NOT how people feel at all.

It's all about forcing investors & publisher "suits" to get in-touch with the playerbase again. Copying WoW has NEVER been a good idea as they have their "niche" of the market cornered.

WoW == best themepark there is.

Yet, there is no Sandbox or Sandpark parts of the market cornered. It's not that there is no interest (literally as much as WoW), but it's that no one has tried to do something truly unique so everyone NOT wanting to play WoW is spread out amognst 20,30,40 games, or have locked themselves into singleplayer only games until said game comes out.

People have been tired of WoW-cloning to make a buck ever since Warhammer. Warhammer was the baby that woke the neighbors.

Do you have some kind of proof that 8-10 million people are willing to pay a monthly sub to a sandbox game? I'm not arguing that there isn't an audience, but I think you're misusing the word literally.

• Punk999Punk999 Member UncommonPosts: 882
    When looking through the forums I see allot of  people say "I hope X game fails". I am curious where the logic is in hoping a game fails. Just because a certain game is not for you, what do you benefit if it fails? I personally do not care for most of the MMOs out right now, but I know allot of people enjoy them. I don't see why hoping a game someone else enjoys fails can be a benefit. Don't get me wrong, I'm not persecuting those who make those statements, I am just curious as to why they are made? 

People that cant stand the fact a game they hate others like.

"Negaholics are people who become addicted to negativity and self-doubt, they find fault in most things and never seem to be satisfied."
    ^MMORPG.com

• QuirhidQuirhid Member UncommonPosts: 6,230
    Originally posted by Shadowguy64
    Originally posted by Quirhid

Like the guys on the ESO forums because the MMO version isn't exactly like the single-player game?

Nah. They are only expecting the impossible.

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky