Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Wanted - Fantasy Bullet-Hell Action RPG

IcedmintteaIcedminttea Member Posts: 4

Hi All,

I am looking for a fantasy-themed action-role playing game. It should fit the following criteria:

(1) It is a fantasy -themed mmo. This means magic style/wizard themes NOT space.

(2) The game includes action-rpg shooter elements. I am thinking more "bullet hell" and magic shooter rather than a Diablo/Baldur's Gate type of environment. I am NOT thinking of a gun-based shooter. 

(3) Character progression occurs. I envision a game with three levels of progression that each bring rewards, from most important to least important: (1) leveling (2) using stat items to permanently increase stats (3) getting better gear from solo and group instances.

(4) Death Penalties exist. I prefer "resurrection sickness" as the penalty. Penalties to character leveling are fine. I do NOT want a penalty like permanent death or loss of items.

(5) Preferably has scheduled not random downtime and decent servers, few bugs. I list this as preferably because I understand resources are tight and bugs occur. Mainly I don't want bugs to be so prevalent as to cause your character to die or lag out in a shooter style game.

Feel free to post your recommendations. Thank you.

IMT

----------

For the visual thinkers: I want a game that mixes in the bullet-hell, potion progression atmosphere of Realm of the Mad God, with the leveling, market economy, server stability, and larger size that is in Path of Exile. Ideally, res sickness on death or PoE penalties (medium-core penalties preferred, not permadeath).

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.
  • skeith138skeith138 Member Posts: 176
    Originally posted by Mtibbs1989
    Originally posted by Icedminttea

Hi All,

I am looking for a fantasy-themed action-role playing game. It should fit the following criteria:

(1) It is a fantasy -themed mmo. This means magic style/wizard themes NOT space.

(2) The game includes action-rpg shooter elements. I am thinking more "bullet hell" and magic shooter rather than a Diablo/Baldur's Gate type of environment. I am NOT thinking of a gun-based shooter. 

(3) Character progression occurs. I envision a game with three levels of progression that each bring rewards, from most important to least important: (1) leveling (2) using stat items to permanently increase stats (3) getting better gear from solo and group instances.

(4) Death Penalties exist. I prefer "resurrection sickness" as the penalty. Penalties to character leveling are fine. I do NOT want a penalty like permanent death or loss of items.

(5) Preferably has scheduled not random downtime and decent servers, few bugs. I list this as preferably because I understand resources are tight and bugs occur. Mainly I don't want bugs to be so prevalent as to cause your character to die or lag out in a shooter style game.

Feel free to post your recommendations. Thank you.

IMT

----------

For the visual thinkers: I want a game that mixes in the bullet-hell, potion progression atmosphere of Realm of the Mad God, with the leveling, market economy, server stability, and larger size that is in Path of Exile. Ideally, res sickness on death or PoE penalties (medium-core penalties preferred, not permadeath).

You want a Bullet-hell game? Are you sure you understand what the bullet-hell genre is?

Example:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Nb5Ohbt1Sg

this is a ever example: 

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.
  • KrashnerKrashner Member Posts: 137
    The closest you're going to get is Realm of the Mad God, so long as you don't mind the retro look.

• IcedmintteaIcedminttea Member Posts: 4
    Originally posted by skeith138
    Originally posted by Icedminttea

Hi All,

You want a Bullet-hell game? Are you sure you understand what the bullet-hell genre is?

Example:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Nb5Ohbt1Sg

this is a ever example: 

I am looking for a mmo fantasy game with bullet-hell style action play and rpg progression. So yes, I want a bullet-hell game in addition to the other components listed.

It is helpful though to list games that meet most or substantially all of the elements I presented like Touhou. 

However, one element shouldn't outweigh the others (I consider them all fairly equal elements). So for example, if I find a game that is an mmo fantasy action rpg, mediumcore play, with character progression, I am likely to play it even without the bullet hell gameplay. 

Thank you for the input.

My point was that many people don't even know of the bullet-hell genre let alone be "willing" to play an rpg like it. These games make "hardcore" players look casual.

Except: It doesn't matter what most people think. 

Touhou is just one example of bullet hell, and is seemingly a niche on one extreme of a genre. There are other bullet hell games that are less intensive. 

But all of this is a tangent -  the point of the thread is to see if the elements listed in the first post are met in a game.

Originally posted by Krashner
    The closest you're going to get is Realm of the Mad God, so long as you don't mind the retro look.

Yeah, this game is probably the closest thing to it. However it's not forgiving with death. If you die in RotMG you lose your character and all the items on it.

I do prefer Path of Exile's look but retro is fine.

Valkyrie Sky is an example of a game that no longer is running that also has gameplay close to what I am looking for. Are there games like Valkyrie Sky?

Realm of the Mad God does not have many dungeons/content to explore, and at a certain point you need to team up with others to beat content (tombs, madlab, oryx 2). The permadeath is a big negative for me because I want to play for enjoyment, but it just leads to grinding when death happens. Realm has incentivized me to "play tight" - so cautiously that it stopped being fun. I want a challenge, but I also want to enjoy and I don't see the goal/purpose of play in Realm.

Thus I posted a wide set of criteria with this thread that would make for a more enjoyable game for me.

Thank you all for the replies. I appreciate the input.