Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Should we stop buying MMORPGs, and just wait til they go F2P?

124»

Comments

• DrunkWolfDrunkWolf Member RarePosts: 1,701

i think this whole P2P vs F2P is getting way over done.

First we need some decent games to even play, then we can argue over f2p vs p2p.

• maplestonemaplestone Member UncommonPosts: 3,099
    Originally posted by DrunkWolf

First we need some decent games to even play, then we can argue over f2p vs p2p.

I can sympathize with the sentiment, but I think that the business model is the foundation of any game - everything about how it is designed and how it evolves is going to flow from how the game company expects to get paid and whether consumers are making equally rational decisions.

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955

"If on the game's launch anniversy it goes Free to Play, then you lost EVERYTHING you invested"

I don't think that is true. I am a Lotro "Veteran" it went F2P a couple of years ago, I did not think I lost anything. Also if you want to wait a year until you play a game thats upto you. Most players don't. I do always suggest players wait until after launch and read real reviews, but two or three months is enough to for that.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by maplestone
    If a game converts to a cash shop, it's dead to me.

If a game converts to f2p, it becomes alife to me.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

"If on the game's launch anniversy it goes Free to Play, then you lost EVERYTHING you invested"

Not if you wait till conversion to F2P before playing. Plus, a game is about having fun, not about investment.

• nbtscannbtscan Member UncommonPosts: 862
    I think more people should take it upon themselves to try out open betas of games and REALLY think about whether they see themselves playing that game for the long term.  If YOU don't think it'll hold your attention for more than a few months then you should have a pretty good idea of where it'll be heading.
  • DreadchainDreadchain Member Posts: 9
    Originally posted by DrunkWolf

i think this whole P2P vs F2P is getting way over done.

There's a bunch of decent, or even good MMOs. The problem is all the shitty wow clones and item maller p2w games are grabbing all the attention.

Hint: Games that don't die in a few years (And don't need to change payment schemes) while keep growing consistently are usually the better ones.