Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Business Model Will Kill This game

13»

Comments

• Xav_MMOXav_MMO Member UncommonPosts: 49
    Originally posted by LogicLester

I think people need to come to terms with the truth, EVERY company that makes MMOs lately has been shoveling out crap,  Pure, unadulterated crap.  Games that lack features that had been standard in the industry for years, games with more bugs than a locust plague, games developed and run by marketers instead of game designers.  CRAP!

Hopefully one day it will stop, hopefully one day someone who actually wants to make a good game will come along and be given the time/budget/talent to do so.  But pretending the crap we have been served lately is because of a pricing model or "content locusts" is a disservice to all of us.

They're just plain Bad, either Unfinished, Unsupported, or No-talent games.

This is the way I feel too. Lousy games with missing features, buggy mechanics, and no actual gameplay being run by marketers is the bane of the MMO industry.

Developers want Players. Marketers want Revenue Sources.

• sirphobossirphobos Member UncommonPosts: 620
    I'm pretty sure the fact that Neverwinter simply isn't a very good game will be this game's downfall.  I had fun leveling up my character, but stopped playing within a week of hitting max level because the max level content was simply awful in my opinion, and I had no desire to level up a second character as I would be doing the exact same thing while leveling.  I'm sure a few hardcore DnD fans and people who love the foundry will stick around, but I simply do not see this game maintaining a sizable player base as the game just simply isn't that good.
  • cptndunselcptndunsel Member UncommonPosts: 136

my only interest was to play Drow. I had hoped that '60 days' meant 60 days from open beta and thus around July 1. Now its at least 60 days from release date of june 20, so we are talking end August earliest.

FFXiV and, likely, ESO are both out by then. And this game really is not much to hold my interest without being able to play Drow (refuse to hand em $200 for early access).

Broken uninteresting game, questionable business model, better games to play. Just uninstalled and won't look back.

• ChrisboxChrisbox Member UncommonPosts: 1,729
    This is a pretty old thread, I have already abandoned the game entirely so there is little to talk about from my end.  

Played-Everything
    Playing-LoL

• kiernkiern Member UncommonPosts: 428
    Originally posted by Chrisbox
    This is a pretty old thread, I have already abandoned the game entirely so whatever is in the original post is kinda useless.  Not sure who dug for this thread lol.  

Not sure how it is useless. The thread isn't about you, it is about the game.  The fact that you no longer play it is irrelevant. The game and the business model remain, so it is still a valid topic. 

It's funny how people get jumped on for starting new  threads rather than searching through existing threads on the topic, but  when they do they get ridiculed for digging up an old thread.   

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    Should've launched as a subscription game in my opinion, thats where the commitment comes in from not only the players but the developers.  

STO and i think CO as well launched as subscription and look where they are (same company). Free to Play with more people they ever had with a sub. In my personal opinion i would have loved if Neverwinter had the GW2 model instead. PWI would benefit a lot from the GW2 model because they tend to release full fledged expansions a lot. But oh well..... At least we can play NWO for a while for a free and then move on to the next game.

• ChrisboxChrisbox Member UncommonPosts: 1,729
    Originally posted by kiern
    This is a pretty old thread, I have already abandoned the game entirely so whatever is in the original post is kinda useless.  Not sure who dug for this thread lol.  

Not sure how it is useless. The thread isn't about you, it is about the game.  The fact that you no longer play it is irrelevant. The game and the business model remain, so it is still a valid topic. 

It's funny how people get jumped on for starting new  threads rather than searching through existing threads on the topic, but  when they do they get ridiculed for digging up an old thread.   

Well I think you took what I said a bit too straight forward, I think most people including myself obviously have already made opinions about this game and for the most part abandoned it, rendering the topic much less attractive to talk about and overall much less interesting.    

Played-Everything
    Playing-LoL

• ImperialSunImperialSun Member Posts: 212
    Originally posted by SpottyGekko

Don't fool yourself with the idea that "committed players" make a financially successful MMO.

They don't.

The average MMORPG player wants to reach level cap in 4 to 6 weeks max, followed by a few weeks of grinding "endgame". Then they're bored, because they've "beaten the game" and it's off to the next MMO...

People are playing MMO's like single-player games. Everyone's there for launch, but 2 months later they're all gone again. They've "finished" the game.

So the F2P games try to earn the maximum income in their first 2 months. After that it's maintenance mode until the servers close.

Sad but true...

This is what happens when MMORPG developers/publishers try and attract the COD generation to their games....

The COD generation plays them like they are SP/FPS style games, then moves on to the next 2 months later... this is why MMORPGs that used to be complex, engaging and community focused are now all turning out like semi instanced, FPS style lobby screen queue fests....click this, queue here....teleport....do a warzone or whatever, click this, check this drop down, queue there...teleport....

Driz  

• Injerin44Injerin44 Member Posts: 6

Don't fool yourself with the idea that "committed players" make a financially successful MMO.

They don't.

The average MMORPG player wants to reach level cap in 4 to 6 weeks max, followed by a few weeks of grinding "endgame". Then they're bored, because they've "beaten the game" and it's off to the next MMO...

People are playing MMO's like single-player games. Everyone's there for launch, but 2 months later they're all gone again. They've "finished" the game.

So the F2P games try to earn the maximum income in their first 2 months. After that it's maintenance mode until the servers close.

More the reason to make the games challenging again, instead of catering to the win-button whiners.

• ZenMorphZenMorph Member Posts: 9
    Originally posted by ImperialSun

They don't.

Sad but true...

This is what happens when MMORPG developers/publishers try and attract the COD generation to their games....

The COD generation plays them like they are SP/FPS style games, then moves on to the next 2 months later... this is why MMORPGs that used to be complex, engaging and community focused are now all turning out like semi instanced, FPS style lobby screen queue fests....click this, queue here....teleport....do a warzone or whatever, click this, check this drop down, queue there...teleport....

Driz  

Absolutely correct.  You can exit from any gate in Protector's Enclave and instantly teleport to any zone, regardless of geography.  In my mind, that kills any sense of a persistent world (PW).  Which, for me, is something I want in an MMORPG.  For all of WoW's faults, the seamless transition between zones gives the feel of a PW.  Still, to this day, I like the flight point system.

After years of WoW, I'm looking to move on.  But I want an MMO that is a persistent world with good end game content and plenty of longevity and a decent community.  Haven't found that yet.  Maybe Wildstar, but that remains to be seen.

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    I already fear for this game...the gameplay so far as been quite enjoyable, but it follows the same exact model every other Perfect world game did and died off.  Its basically rack in f2p cash with a really badly priced zen system, then when the community dies use that money to make another game. Rinse, repeat, rinse, repeat.  Should've launched as a subscription game in my opinion, thats where the commitment comes in from not only the players but the developers.  

The game will kill the game. There is not enough to do and that is the issue. People will eventually leave the game because of that.

• GrammieGrammie Member Posts: 68
    I have played the game, several characters, and find it as a whole unsatisfactory.  Many graphic glitches.  There is no territorial flow.   Dying is Cryptic's way of getting you to buy stones of health, etc.  That is not a way to keep long term loyalty. 
  • RocknissRockniss Member Posts: 1,034
    If this would have been buy to play, I would have scored it a 9/10. Since its p2w it gets a 5/10. Game woukd have been great if I could have just kicked back relaxed and played for fun instead of playing and wondering what the cash shop has that might enhance my experience and level of fun.