Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EverQuest "Next" and World PvP - email from John Smedley

DauzqulDauzqul Member RarePosts: 1,982

I've emailed Smed several times over the past 5-6 years. Every now and then I will get a response.

Anyways, I emailed him today about EverQuest "Next" and my hopes for meaningful World PvP - World PvP that isn't your typical "gank on sight and that's it" type PvP, but a deep World PvP System that has some actual purpose.

He responded:

Original Email:

dauzqul <********@gmail.com>

to John

Every game has the same old instanced PvP.

My entire guild literally quit SWTOR after the 2nd week due to the redundant Warzones and Battlegrounds. We're done chasing the carrot on the stick via pvp item rewards. It's not fun anymore.

World PvP with meaning is the only way (on PvP Servers).

Reply:

Smedley, John <*******@soe.sony.com>

to me

you'll be happy man.

I know that this is extremely vague. However, his reply does point to the fact that they are working on a much deeper than usual form of World PvP.

Comments

• DSWBeefDSWBeef Member UncommonPosts: 789
    Good to hear. I HATE BG like pvp. RVR or world pvp is the best. Nothing like a small one on one battle turning into a battle betwee factions/guilds. Raid on Tarren mill anyone?

Playing: FFXIV, DnL, and World of Warships
    Waiting on: Ashes of Creation

• winterwinter Member UncommonPosts: 2,281
    Originally posted by Dauzqul

I've emailed Smed several times over the past 5-6 years. Every now and then I will get a response.

Anyways, I emailed him today about EverQuest "Next" and my hopes for meaningful World PvP - World PvP that isn't your typical "gank on sight and that's it" type PvP, but a deep World PvP System that has some actual purpose.

He responded:

Original Email:

to John

My entire guild literally quit SWTOR after the 2nd week due to the redundant Warzones and Battlegrounds. We're done chasing the carrot on the stick via pvp item rewards. It's not fun anymore.

Reply:

to me

you'll be happy man.

I know that this is extremely vague. However, his reply does point to the fact that they are working on a much deeper than usual form of World PvP.

OP all it is point to the fact they want to sell the game and will tell you anything you want to hear to get good word of mouth going. Smed lies alot. Hell just a few months ago he said there was permadeath in  EQnext and the same day the devs themselves said it was untrue.

This is a SOE project made with a very small budget (by SOE standards) keep your expectations low and you maybe happy. Expect the earth and the moon and your gonna be disappointed.

• pmilespmiles Member Posts: 383
    LOL, all he really said was that compared to SWTOR, you'd be happy... is that really saying a lot?
  • GreenHellGreenHell Member UncommonPosts: 1,323
     OP all it is point to the fact they want to sell the game and will tell you anything you want to hear to get good word of mouth going. Smed lies alot. Hell just a few months ago he said there was permadeath in  EQnext and the same day the devs themselves said it was untrue.

This is a SOE project made with a very small budget (by SOE standards) keep your expectations low and you maybe happy. Expect the earth and the moon and your gonna be disappointed.

I agree. When dealing with SOE having low expectations is a good thing. That doesn't mean this won't be an amazing game I just wouldn't take anything they say at face value. I'll be cautiously optimistic until I actually play the game.

• strangiato2112strangiato2112 Member CommonPosts: 1,538
    Originally posted by winter

I think DCUO is the only big budget SoE game.  Maybe SWG but not sure what that one was.

EQ2 was 25 million.

• PAL-18PAL-18 Member UncommonPosts: 844
    Originally posted by DSWBeef
    Raid on Tarren mill anyone?

Here here! and after TM to xroads. let me tickle these civilians for some more action.

So, did ESO have a successful launch? Yes, yes it did.By Ryan Getchell on April 02, 2014.
    **On the radar: http://www.cyberpunk.net/ **

• CalmOceansCalmOceans Member UncommonPosts: 2,437
    Never did EQ PVP since it didn't exist in any form on any server. (well except rallos and zek which aren't real servers, hah) I  just hope that it stays like that if I play EQNext, PVP players can ask whatever they want as long as there are pure PVE servers.
  • ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    What I think

Smedley is an eve player, pvp servers will have an eve like ruleset.

I also think he will have pure pve servers, to cater to the old crowd.

Finally I think he will make a daoc like setup, for the people that like born
  • EnerzealEnerzeal Member Posts: 326
    Originally posted by CalmOceans
    Never did EQ PVP since it didn't exist in any form on any server. (well except rallos and zek which aren't real servers, hah) I  just hope that it stays like that if I play EQNext, PVP players can ask whatever they want as long as there are pure PVE servers.

Let me explain something to you. 

EQnext is being made as a sandbox game, probably will a heavy pvp element. Do me a favor, find other games to play okay? We pvpers have very limited options when it comes to open world and free for all pvp, very limited. When one comes along we don't need those who enjoy pure pve to come along and ruin that. There are plenty of pve games out there, please go play one of those!

• DauzqulDauzqul Member RarePosts: 1,982

He responded:

Original Email:

to John

Reply:

to me

you'll be happy man.

I don't know. I've played just about every major MMO out there. The only two I really enjoyed and stuck with both happened to be SOE games: SWG / EQ2.

• OmaliOmali MMO Business CorrespondentMember UncommonPosts: 1,177

Incorrect. Someone asked Smedley how he would feel about permadeath in EQ Next and he said "we like permadeath for EQN." Dave Georgesson responded to it and pointed out that John Smedley was simply explaining that a few people at SOE liked the idea, and clarified that he wasn't discussing anything actually planned for the game.

Originally posted by Enerzeal

EQnext is being made as a sandbox game, probably will a heavy pvp element. Do me a favor, find other games to play okay? We pvpers have very limited options when it comes to open world and free for all pvp, very limited. 

Are you delusional or something. 

EQ has always been a PVE game, maybe you'll get PVP servers, there's no need to get hostile with PVE players, especially not when almost all EQ players are PVE players, that attitude isn't going to do you any favors btw.

If you say that on an EQ board you're going to piss off thousands of players, so maybe you should thread a bit more carefully.

• DaranarDaranar Member UncommonPosts: 392

He responded:

Original Email:

to John

Reply:

to me

you'll be happy man.

First to OP, SWEET!!!!!!!   Second, to quoted dude, Smed didn't lie lol.   He said, "We like permadeath for EQN".   Do not confuse this with "EQN will feature Permadeath".   Twitter is a wonderful tool for out of context quotes to be blown out of proportion.   Hell for all we know, devs could have been chowing down at lunch coming up with rediculous hypothetical situations and could have gotten carried away with the idea of Permadeath...we don't know lol.   He didn't lie.   Also, smed is a gamer like us.   He too is tired of the same old same old not cutting it.

I know this is a stupid thought.   But imagine SWG pasted in Norrath...WOW!  Best sandbox ever? lol.    SOE has proved they can make what I still argue is the best sandbox MMO to ever be released....and yes ruined...why cant they do it again with EQN.   I have to believe they learned their lesson from making 'EQ2: An Embarrassment To Norrath'.

I really believe Smed isnt just running the hype wheel, if he was, we would have real announcements by now.   I truly do believe Smed is super excited about EQN because it will be something we haven't seen and potentionally rock the MMO world for argueably the first time since 1999.

If I want a world in which people can purchase success and power with cash, I'll play Real Life. Keep Virtual Worlds Virtual!

• TelondarielTelondariel Member Posts: 1,001

EQnext is being made as a sandbox game, probably will a heavy pvp element. Do me a favor, find other games to play okay? We pvpers have very limited options when it comes to open world and free for all pvp, very limited. When one comes along we don't need those who enjoy pure pve to come along and ruin that. There are plenty of pve games out there, please go play one of those!

I think the only person here that needs some "explaining" is you.

Little to nothing is known about EQN.  Teaser hints and Smed saying it would be "sandbox-like" are all that we have.  Really, that's not a bunch of anything.  The current information we have certainly doesn't lead to assumptions that it will "probablly have a heavy pvp element".  That's a lot of hopes and dreams, sprinkled with generous assumptions.

If you've never played an EQ game, you will be dismayed to hear that they are 99% a PVE experience.  So, shooing people away is just silliness.  I would suggest waiting until the EQN reveal in August before speaking in absolutes.

• Riposte.ThisRiposte.This Member Posts: 192
    Everquest has always had open world pvp, the only reason they added Battlegrounds is so that people on PVE servers could do more than just /duel (they haven't always had pvp, but when pvp was implemented it was open world)

Killing dragons is my shit

• MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222
    I think pve people and meaningful open world pvp people have more in common than they think. Pointless esport instanced pvp is the real waste in a virtual world mmo. As a pve person I will only tolerate open world meaningful pvp as it adds to the virtual world aspect.

I actually want open world pvp if its meaningful and will band people together. As long as they don't screw over pve abilities for pvp I will be happy (separate the skill functions for pve and pvp).

Also the only mmos, that I have played, that felt like dangerous consequences to your choices worlds have been SOE games. People can doubt soe all they want but I really don't see this as being a "safe" release based on their previous games.
  • TelondarielTelondariel Member Posts: 1,001
    Originally posted by Omali

Incorrect. Someone asked Smedley how he would feel about permadeath in EQ Next and he said "we like permadeath for EQN." Dave Georgesson responded to it and pointed out that John Smedley was simply explaining that a few people at SOE liked the idea, and clarified that he wasn't discussing anything actually planned for the game.

I think what Smed was actually doing was tapping on the glass to see who was paying attention, and how broadly, and in what regard, the information would spread.  It was a hype test.

Originally posted by Ripostethis
    Everquest has always had open world pvp, the only reason they added Battlegrounds is so that people on PVE servers could do more than just /duel (they haven't always had pvp, but when pvp was implemented it was open world)

Well, assuming you mean EQ1. EQ had 2 types of servers. If I pick about the middle of the game's existance...

About 20+ were pure PVE servers

2 were PVP servers (Rallos and Zek iirc). Which later became 1, namely Zek, which still exists.

EQ never had battlegrounds, there was an arena yes, it was a place in the bazaar people could mess about in without any actual rewards or goal. You could also /duel, but out of my 8 or so years playing EQ, I maybe did that once, because there was no point in doing it.

Zek and Rallos did have open world PVP, but the PVE servers never had PVP (unless you add the /duel command and the tiny arena, which really is meaningless)

• RaventreeRaventree Member Posts: 456

EQnext is being made as a sandbox game, probably will a heavy pvp element. Do me a favor, find other games to play okay? We pvpers have very limited options when it comes to open world and free for all pvp, very limited. 

Are you delusional or something. 

EQ has always been a PVE game, maybe you'll get PVP servers, there's no need to get hostile with PVE players, especially not when almost all EQ players are PVE players, that attitude isn't going to do you any favors btw.

If you say that on an EQ board you're going to piss off thousands of players, so maybe you should thread a bit more carefully.

I think the first assumption that a lot of us make when we hear sandbox is that there will be some sort of FFA PVP or something close to it.  PVP players do have very limited options if you aren't into doing the same warfront over and over til the end of time, so I can at least agree with him on that.

Currently playing:
    Rift
    Played:
    SWToR, Aion,EQ, Dark Age of Camelot
    World of Warcraft, AoC

• Riposte.ThisRiposte.This Member Posts: 192

Well, assuming you mean EQ1. EQ had 2 types of servers. If I pick about the middle of the game's existance...

About 20+ were pure PVE servers

2 were PVP servers (Rallos and Zek iirc). Which later became 1, namely Zek, which still exists.

EQ never had battlegrounds, there was an arena yes, it was a place in the bazaar people could mess about in without any actual rewards or goal. You could also /duel, but out of my 8 or so years playing EQ, I maybe did that once, because there was no point in doing it.

I never played EQ1 so I mean EQ2. The arena in EQ2 was in QH, that was an alright time but the fact that they never properly had PVP rulesets implemented into the arena sucked.

But EQ2 when pvp was released was all open world pvp for years. So there is no reason why an Everquest game would be released without open world.

I am more so concerned with the combat system

Killing dragons is my shit

• maplestonemaplestone Member UncommonPosts: 3,099
    A lot of promises are being assumed from a few informal words.
  • AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521
    Wait, so:

Archeage
    Black Desert
    Origins of Malu
    The Repopulation
    Camelot Unchained

These aren't open world PvP MMOs coming down the line? Lol, shortage indeed! EQ is known for PvE whether it's a "sandbox style" MMO or not. Will it have great PvP either on a seperate server or in pockets of the PvE ones? I sure hope so.

Telling people to go play another game because someone thinks sandbox means PvP is laughable, especially since the franchise has been largely based on PvE.
  • AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521
    My apologies, for clarification I was responding to Enerzeal.
  • DauzqulDauzqul Member RarePosts: 1,982

That is true. However, once Battlegrounds were added as well as Battleground rewards, this ultimately revamped the PvP server and turned it from a World PvP game to a Battleground grind. It wasn't because people loved BGs, it was because it was MUCH faster to earn PvP points for gear.

• AxehiltAxehilt Member RarePosts: 10,504

Well I guess somebody provide casual PVP to the players who don't want skill-based PVP.  So why not EQNext?

Personally I'd rather see more MMO PVP systems like Planetside 1 had, where it's massive combat across a large continent with multiple objectives, but where combat itself is skill-focused.  You can't outnumber enemies except by outmanuevering them (bringing your zerg to bear against their split forces, for example.)  And since progression was lateral, there weren't any significant advantages gained by playing longer than your opponents.

You can take that basic setup, use MMORPG-style combat , have it involve fighting for control of Towns, Keeps, and Castles, and it would be a game of similarly epic warfare.

But I guess the casuals need their PVP too.

"What is truly revealing is his implication that believing something to be true is the same as it being true. [continue]" -John Oliver