Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fast Travel

asdarasdar Member UncommonPosts: 662

I'm hoping that EQ has limited fast travel. I think the perfect system is one or two classes with TP, boats for rent that cost, and boats for free that only leave at intervals. If the world is huge, then I'd add in some kind of spires for travel between the largest areas. Mounts for sure for land travel. I also like bind recall for all players with a long cast and cycle time.

I'm really against free fast travel to everywhere, or even to places you've already been. I hope that people want to fight in an area so that you recognize other players in your area because you've seen them before.

Asdar

Comments

• TokkenTokken Member EpicPosts: 3,549

Originally posted by asdar
    I'm hoping that EQ has limited fast travel. I think the perfect system is one or two classes with TP, boats for rent that cost, and boats for free that only leave at intervals. If the world is huge, then I'd add in some kind of spires for travel between the largest areas. Mounts for sure for land travel. I also like bind recall for all players with a long cast and cycle time.I'm really against free fast travel to everywhere, or even to places you've already been. I hope that people want to fight in an area so that you recognize other players in your area because you've seen them before.

agreed. Slow travel is my preference.

Proud MMORPG.com member since March 2004!  Make PvE GREAT Again!

• Storm_CloudStorm_Cloud Member UncommonPosts: 401

I completely agree with this...

I would like to have the original model of travel from EQ1.

1. Wizard spires (wizards can port ppl at higher levels)

2. Druid rings (Druids can port ppl at higher levels)

3. Regular SOW for faster run speed.

4. Possibly add mounts for slightly faster movement than SOW, but should be expensive. (Player controlled mounts)

5. HUGE NONO!!! to any form of Taxi services. (example... Griffin towers in EQ2, stables EQ2.. etc, etc...)

• copin920copin920 Member Posts: 10
    Completely agree, I miss the slow pace of travel the old games such as everquest and asheron's call. Final Fantasy 11 was also slow. It meant that when you went somewhere far away you were usually going to stay there for some time. You really got to know the other players in the area. I haven't actually made lasting friends in games since then. Most people are moving around so quickly that noone settles in to an area. Welcome to the ADD age.
  • BBPD766BBPD766 Member UncommonPosts: 98
    Originally posted by Storm_Cloud

I completely agree with this...

I would like to have the original model of travel from EQ1.

1. Wizard spires (wizards can port ppl at higher levels)

2. Druid rings (Druids can port ppl at higher levels)

3. Regular SOW for faster run speed.

4. Possibly add mounts for slightly faster movement than SOW, but should be expensive. (Player controlled mounts)

5. HUGE NONO!!! to any form of Taxi services. (example... Griffin towers in EQ2, stables EQ2.. etc, etc...)

In reference to number "4" (the player controlled mounts, part) and "5" (a form of taxi service but make it run by players) why not make these part of the game either independantly or all inclusive under same professsion?

In regards to number "5" for example, a person chooses that they want to spend their time or efforts to make some coin by taxi-ing people in game. Make it a profession that has to be leveled up and call it "chauffeuring" profession or something. The person that has this profession has the ability to tame mounts (allowing a saddle to be placed on them and be ridden). A "chauffeur" could actually raise and care for newborn animals (making the young aged animals the only ones that are capable of being captured and trained) until they grow to a certain age where they can be saddled and taught to allow characters to sit on them (kinda like breaking a horse). As a "chauffeur" they cast their "Tame snarling buffalo" ability (and they are the only ones that can cast this ability on an animal) and now the animal can have a saddle placed on it and ridden as a mount. In "chauffeuring," ya start (let's say) by training giant turtles (maybe they can go like 10-15%, or whatever,  faster than peoples run speed). Then once you've mastered "taming the giant turtles" ability, you are now able to skill into "taming wild boars" ability (maybe they can go like 20-25% increase in speed) and so on and so on until you have trained up to tame the faster mounts (like horses or whatever they may be). Heck you could really go deep into this and make it so the mounts can have actual stats that you could boost and specifically help them train up so they can run faster and farther or whatever; allowing you to train them like a cross fit instructor. Make the mount BOE once the player sits on it so now it's exclusively theirs.

You could potentially make it  overlap with other crafting professions.  For example like a weaponsmith or something that makes specific traps to capture specific animals for training and raising. This in turn would give other skills/professions a chance to connect; for example gathering or harvesting to obtain the mats to make the traps. Make traps tradeable so people have the ability to capture and raise their own animal (with player made traps) and they can bring it to a "chauffeur" (who spent his or her time leveling that profession up) to tame the animal for them so they later can put a saddle on it. when it's full grown. Now people have a connection to their own mount that they caught, trained, and raised themselves.

Next, have it so the mounts need to be fed by player made foods while you're raising it and even once it's full grown (perhaps adding bonus food to make the animal grow faster or train their stats quicker...or whatever). Now you've made it so people who enjoy the cooking skill have a purpose to connect them with "chauffeuring" and where they can turn a profit from their craft. This also makes it so the cooking skill relies on the gathering or harvesting skills to get the ingredients needed to make the mount foods.

Maybe even make it so you could trade animals that are already captured in a trap by somebody else. Or they can perhaps purchase a mount that's already been captured, raised, and tamed by a "chauffeur" for those that dont have an animal that they captured that's ready to be tamed quite yet and need a starter mount while they are raising their own captured animal. The trap makers need mats from the gathers and harvesters of the mats and the "chauffeur" tames (possibly also raises and trains) the animals. They all turn a profit from their individual skillsets and become a part of the game economy. I can see the global trade chat now: "WTB black horse trap. PST" or "WTB Norrathian Bamboo Stalks to make traps. PST" or "LF a Chauffeur to tame my Spiked Wildabeast pup. PST."

Then we move on to the armor crafter who makes the saddles to ride these mounts. Have it so the mounts must have saddles (that are made by the armor crafters) in order to be ridden. Make it so certain saddles only allow you to ride specific mounts. Now you've made it so people who enjoy the armor crafting profession have a purpose to connect them with "chauffeuring" and where they can turn a profit from their craft by selling saddles. Have it where the saddles can be augmented by gemcrafters to add bonus stats to perhaps raise the length a horse can be ridden or faster mounting dismouting or add to the base stats of the horse...whatever. This also makes it so the armor crafting skill relies on the skinning or harvesting skills to get the mats needed to make the saddle and now even mining augments for gemcrafting.

Now people would need to go to the "chauffeur" if they wanted to tame the animal they raised, purchase a mount that's already tamed, or rent one out to be used as a taxi service (make a cast ability or something that's chauffeur specific like "cast 1hr rental saddle") that they put on one of their tamed animals. The rental saddle has say a one hour timer on it, and once the timer expires, the saddle disappears (going back into the chauffeur's inventory) and kicks the player off the mount; at which point the mount runs back to its owner. Or if the player brings their own saddle to use on the chauffeur's mount, their saddle can only stay on the rented mount for however long the rental period was and the player gets kicked off the mount upon expiration of the cast ability (and the player owned saddle goes back into their inventory). Can even make different timed rental saddle cast abilities the chauffeur can have at his disposal; one hour saddle, three hour saddle, twelve hour saddle...etc. There's a ton of possibilities here.

Perhaps not a perfect system here (since i only was thinking spur of the moment and didnt plan the whole thing out) with kinks that need to be worked out but it's a foundation for an idea. Anyways, you get the picture. Endless possibilities here that allow people to be a part of the game economy and give their profession/skill a purpose. Everyone gets a mount sooner or later and now you've just involved the entire community for this aspect of the game instead of just handing over your gold coins to a stable master or griffon tamer. You've also inspired another way to allow the community to speak with and meet each other as well as immersing you into the game a bit more by making your mount feel like it's your own and an extension of your toon. Just my two copper peices.

Originally posted by BBPD766

Just my two copper peices.

Really? LOL!

Seems more like 10pp to me.

Anyways, it's not a bad idea, but I think the mounts need to have a life cycle. If you don't feed them or something, they die. (Similar to the plant from EQ2) Because the profession needs a business, and since there wont be just 1 of these guys running around and taming animals, there needs to be a safe switch. (Mount deaths from starvation, age, combat, etc...) Just to make sure more mounts can be sold to each individual that already had bought one before.

Also, this profession needs some fighting capabilities. Somewhere between a Ranger and a Beastlord. Just because I don't think these guys want to only tame animals day in and day out, to make them into mounts.

• nateslonateslo Member UncommonPosts: 49

I agree with the OP %100. Nothing kills immersion like being able to travel across the world instantly whenever you want. The journey is just as important as the destination IMO. I have fond memories of sitting on the boat in EQ. Having vast distances that require actual time to cover adds a lot to the experience.

I have the same feeling about dungeons. Call me crazy, but I think you should have to actually venture to a dungeon in order to run it. And if you die, you need to run back! I know it sounds weird, but catastrophic wipes and epic corpse runs are part of the experience.

• cybertruckercybertrucker Member UncommonPosts: 1,117

While I agree with the OP as limited fast travel does add a sense of depth. I just ask if any of you have played GW2 with there waypoint system. While it does take away from the immersion. It is very convenient.  I am guilty of using it. Where as I could just choose not to.

So this brings up the argument of convenience vs immersion. If they did put in alot of ways to travel. Would you use them ?

i suppose if they don't give the option well then there is always that.

most worlds these days do feel awfully small in comparison to even early EQ1 Norrath before even kunark. This did have alot to do with the fact it took time to travell.

conveniance vs immersion. That will be a hard fought battle for sure.

Originally posted by Storm_Cloud

Just my two copper peices.

Really? LOL!

Seems more like 10pp to me.

Anyways, it's not a bad idea, but I think the mounts need to have a life cycle. If you don't feed them or something, they die. (Similar to the plant from EQ2) Because the profession needs a business, and since there wont be just 1 of these guys running around and taming animals, there needs to be a safe switch. (Mount deaths from starvation, age, combat, etc...) Just to make sure more mounts can be sold to each individual that already had bought one before.

Also, this profession needs some fighting capabilities. Somewhere between a Ranger and a Beastlord. Just because I don't think these guys want to only tame animals day in and day out, to make them into mounts.

See there? I love everything ya put there in the first paragraph (aging, starvation, death). Kind of on the fence about making this into a class like you're suggesting in the second half of your post though since the person would now have to committ to that class. I think maybe better as a profession to allow anyone to be able to take this up. Otherwise, one specific class has the market on mounts and now you're committed to be this class and fight as it also. You would almost be forced to have the other classes be profession specific also (only warriors can be miners, only enchanters can be gemcrafters...that sort of thing). I think maybe leaving it a profession allows the player to pick this as a craft while still be able pick what they want to fight as (making their choices more flexible). Well done, Storm. You have added onto it and come up with some great ideas!

Hehehe, kinda like the profession Bio-Engineer from SWG.

Not bad, now you just gotta poke the bear. (SOE) And make sure you poke it really hard so that it takes notice of you, lol. :)

EDIT: Actually, Bio-Engineer/Creature Handler combo is what I think it was. It was a long time ago.

• qwillerqwiller Member Posts: 2

I for one hope that their are many different types of travel so that going from one place to another doesn't feel like a huge time sink the 100th time you go there. I started playing everquest in 1999 and while I can certainly appreciate the feeling of nostalgia one gets when thinking back to "the good old days"  of traveling, I think the ship has sailed when it comes to limited options of travel.

In today's market you should give your players more options not less. You don't want to use the teleport system? No problem don't use it. Don't punish other people who might only have an hour or so to play and don't want to spend half of that time traveling somewhere to get a goal accomplished. 

• sanshi44sanshi44 Member UncommonPosts: 1,187
    Originally posted by cybertrucker

While I agree with the OP as limited fast travel does add a sense of depth. I just ask if any of you have played GW2 with there waypoint system. While it does take away from the immersion. It is very convenient.  I am guilty of using it. Where as I could just choose not to.

So this brings up the argument of convenience vs immersion. If they did put in alot of ways to travel. Would you use them ?

i suppose if they don't give the option well then there is always that.

most worlds these days do feel awfully small in comparison to even early EQ1 Norrath before even kunark. This did have alot to do with the fact it took time to travell.

conveniance vs immersion. That will be a hard fought battle for sure.

There hundred of games that offer conviences, however there very little which offers immersion and there also a large market for players looking for immersion i would think it would be best for SOE to focus on immersion over convience seeing there already a flooded market for that.

Also i loved the old EQ style of travel, people need to learn to slow down sometime and enjoy the journey and not just rush all over the place missing out on everything.

I would also like to see no instances in EQnext cause thats another thing that completly destroys immersion for convience in today games.

Originally posted by qwiller

I for one hope that their are many different types of travel so that going from one place to another doesn't feel like a huge time sink the 100th time you go there. I started playing everquest in 1999 and while I can certainly appreciate the feeling of nostalgia one gets when thinking back to "the good old days"  of traveling, I think the ship has sailed when it comes to limited options of travel. In today's market you should give your players more options not less.

So you would just want to be ported or fast tracked to the good parts and miss everything along the way in between your destinations? Kind of defeats the purpose, don't ya think? Why have a world if you  are going to skip half of it porting around? That type of logic is exactly why MMO's are the way they are today; instant gratification that dumbs the game down so much that nobody feels immersed into it. Take out the travel and you may as well have a game that is nothing but instances to the rewards. Hasn't suffering through nearly two decades of cookie-cutter themparks been enough? That's why today's market is full of crappy MMOs that are yesterdays news as soon as the next new game is announced.

You don't want to use the teleport system? No problem don't use it. Don't punish other people who might only have an hour or so to play and don't want to spend half of that time traveling somewhere to get a goal accomplished. 

You dont wanna spend half your time traveling? No problem, grab a port from a class that can get you closer or simply travel to your destination and log. When you login the next time, you are already at your goal to accomplish it. And what have you truly lost by waiting until your next hour of available playing time? I would ask what your rush is to accomplish the goal. Otherwise, you finish it, and then what? Port straight to the next goal you need to accomplish? No thanx. That's like watching ESPN for the highlights of the super bowl just to catch the final score and see who won instead of watching the entire game to experience it. Taking travel out  just removes the longevity of a game. I would bet most people on these EQN forums want a game that they will play for the next ten years, not one that ports them through accomplishing their goals in half that time.

• hMJemhMJem Member Posts: 465

There is no sense in forcing people to spend time travelling after the 100th time.

No, appeasing you, the minority, is not worth it, and you're talking to what is generally a "hardcore" gamer since I've won video game tournaments and competed and such.

You know, road trips are nice in real life sometimes. But I'm not going to take the same road trip twice unless I have to, I'll just take an airplane for convenience. See what I mean?

You can't force someone to take the exits and look around. They just want to stay on the freeway and get to where they want to be.

I think WoW does its exploration just fine, however the sharding of servers I am impartial to. I still sensed adventure on WoW, even when leveling up through the Mists of Pandaria zone. I was like "Oh, wow, this is cool"

Originally posted by hMJem

There is no sense in forcing people to spend time travelling after the 100th time.

We can go around and around about this forever. Whether you have been someplace 1 time or 100 times makes no difference. If your journey is not the same each time in between said destinations, then yeah, it does make sense.

Nearly every current themepark MMORPG is the same: Go to this area for lvl 1-10, then go to this next area for lvl 11-20...etc. Then what happens? We port to the next area and never return to the same area again and there's a game filled with nothing but empty zones that you never return to; except for the endgame zones that you beat to death over and over because they hold the only thing in your level worth killing until the next expansion or ya get so bored waiting that you move onto another game.

If this "sandbox" is as large as they are claiming it is, I would hope that there is enough to keep people busy in every area no matter what level somebody is. So much so that I could spend a day/week/or even a month there as a result of how much there is to do. Then when I do venture furthere away from said place, I will do the same at the next location. I would actually want to go back to that place I first was because maybe there's a reason for me to return there and not because I out leveled the mobs in that zone. Nor would that area be empty because it does have something to offer everyone. Not only that., upon traveling there, if  this game is able to make that experience on the way back or from there to be different every time (like having different mobs you may encounter from the first time or not having the same ones in the exact same place for one example), then yeah, I dont think people should have access to a static port. If a person does port, I hope it's only done through a couple classes that have the ability to cast one. If EQN enhances those elements of stumbling upon things that would make you WANT to travel and make it as signififcant, if not more than actually reaching a destination, then why would you even need a static port?

No, appeasing you, the minority, is not worth it, and you're talking to what is generally a "hardcore" gamer since I've won video game tournaments and competed and such.

I'm not sure how broadcasting your gaming resume has any bearing on this topic whatsoever, but I will comment in reference to your poistion on the minority. Only so many people can afford to buy a million dollar home or a Ferrari yet people make a successful business of targeting those markets. And why do they? Because there IS a market. So, yeah....appeasing the minority is worth it. But dont just take my word for it, go ask those people over at the Camelot Unchained forums if the minority is worth it.

You know, road trips are nice in real life sometimes. But I'm not going to take the same road trip twice unless I have to, I'll just take an airplane for convenience. See what I mean?

Not if your journey traveling there wasnt a repeat of what your experience was the first time and changed every single time ya went there as I said previously. You're thinking too small. Most current MMORPG's make it so  you travel to a location because some questgiver gave you a task. Your in zone "X" and the guy with the indicator over his head (the proverbial question mark) gives you a quest telling you to go to zone "Y." Then when your done, they want you to turn said quest in by going back to "X" location. Brainwashing you to move onto the next area when you've exhausted that area of quests; never to return. And why? Because you have done all the quests in "X" area, have outleveled the mobs in the area, and dont have a reason  to be there anymore. So now you stay in "Y" area and it's rinse and repeat until you're ready to move on to "Z" location. Surprise! Empty zones! You run from one carrot to the next carrot; for no other reason, BUT to get the carrot. I hope EQN makes the experience of traveling wherever you are going more significant than simply getting to a destination to get your shiny new phat lootz or xp (your carrot) for turning a quest in.

If the experience of the journey of traveling to and from "X" to "Y" was different everytime, as well as once you get back to that area, there would be no reason to "take an airplane for convenience." This pattern is exactly what im hoping EQN doesnt repeat if they are true to making the largest sandbox (as they have stated). then you would be missing out on what happens on the journey to and from places. If they do, they are just making more of what the community doesnt want anymore; thempark. See what I mean?

You can't force someone to take the exits and look around. They just want to stay on the freeway and get to where they want to be.

And this is exactly the logic for why the current MMORPG's are like they are and why most people hate the current product. That's exactly the point. The games now are forcing you to take the freeway. If you make it so all anyone wants to do IS get to where they want to be, then you're right, nobody gets off the freeway. Make it so they dont take the freeway at all instead of repeating the process of dangling a carrot at the end of the freeway; forcing people to take the freeway just so they get the carrot. If EQN can make the traveling experience that way, and not force you to remain on the freeway to get the carrot, then ya wouldn't be concerned with ports; it would then be about the exploration and happenning upon a mob by circumstance to get the carrot.

I think WoW does its exploration just fine, however the sharding of servers I am impartial to. I still sensed adventure on WoW, even when leveling up through the Mists of Pandaria zone. I was like "Oh, wow, this is cool"

I can't comment on this cuz I stopped playing WoW long before MoP was released. Nor have I been back to determine how well or what it even is they are doing in relation to exploration since my departure. What I will say is you should be saying "Oh, wow, this is cooll" for the entire game and not just upon the first time upon getting where you need to be.

My point is, EQN should create a world so essentally somebody should be able to spend their entire existence in an area if they so choose and be fully occupied and content. And if they do venture away from that area, that next area garnishes them the same results; allowing them the opportunity to now spend their entire existence in that area. Of course, the areas should look differently. Some people may prefer the mountains over  a coastline, or a forest over a desert, or some people may like a combination of all of those things. Aesthetically they should all be different areas that allow them to seperates themselves from each other. But I would like to see EQN perhaps accomplish this in a way that allows areas to have things that are the same as other areas but still have something that's unique about them.

But not so unique that  no other area has that unique distinguisher (not talking asthetics), maybe they just have a higher concentration of it in another area; using like mats for crafting say as an example. Maybe one place is better for mining silver ore than another but maybe only because there's a  higher concentration of it; yet still providing every area the potential to mine ore. As long as EQN can balance it so silver ore (from my example) is available in every area, it wont matter where it's mined.  People should want to stay in a particular area or want to call it their favorite because of how it makes them feel.

Originally posted by hMJem

We can go around and around about this forever. Whether you have been someplace 1 time or 100 times makes no difference. If your journey is not the same each time in between said destinations, then yeah, it does make sense.

Nearly every current themepark MMORPG is the same: Go to this area for lvl 1-10, then go to this next area for lvl 11-20...etc. Then what happens? We port to the next area and never return to the same area again and there's a game filled with nothing but empty zones that you never return to; except for the endgame zones that you beat to death over and over because they hold the only thing in your level worth killing until the next expansion or ya get so bored waiting that you move onto another game.

If this "sandbox" is as large as they are claiming it is, I would hope that there is enough to keep people busy in every areas no matter what level somebody is. So much so that I could spend a day/week/or even a month there as a result of how much there is to do. Then when I do venture furthere away from said place, I will do the same at the next location. But...wait for it...here  it comes... I would actually go back to that place I first was because there's a reason for me to return there and not because I out leveled the mobs in that zone. Not only that., upon traveling there, if  this game is able to make that experience on the way back different every time (like having different mobs you may encounter from the first time and not having the same ones in the exact same place for one example), then yeah, I dont think people should port. It's the element of stumbling upon things that would make you WANT to travel.

Thanx so much for your gaming resume which has no bearing on this topic whatsoever. Only so many people can afford to buy a million dollar home or a Ferrari. But guess what? People make a successful business of doing just that. Selling to the minority; because there is a market. Yeah....appeasing the minority is worth it.

Not if your journey traveling there wasnt a repeat of what your experience was the first time and changed every single time ya went there. You're thinking too small. Most current MMORPG's make it so  you travel to "X" location because some questgiver gave you a task. Your in zone "X" and the guy with the indicator over his head (the proverbial question mark) gives you a quest telling you to go to zone. Then when your done, they want you to turn said quest in by going to "Y" location. Brainwashing you to go to the next area (Y), never to return to the previous one (X). And why? Because you have done all the quests in "X" area, have outleveled the mobs in the area, and dont have a reason  to be there anymore. So now you stay in "Y" area and it's rinse and repeat until you're ready to move on to "Z" location. Surprise! Empty zones! So you run from one carrot to the next carrot; for no other reason, BUT to get the carrot. Make the experience of traveling wherever you are going just as significant not to get your shiny new phat lootz or xp (your carrot) for turning the quest in.

If the experience of the journey of traveling to and from "X" to "Y" was different everytime, as well as once you get back to that area,there would be no reason to "take an airplane for convenience." This pattern is exactly what im hoping EQN doesnt repeat if they are true to making the largest sandbox (as they have stated). then you would be missing out on what happens on the journey to and from places. See what I mean?

And this is exactly the logic for why the current MMORPG's are like they are and why most people hate the current product. That's exactly the point. The games now are forcing you to take the freeway. If you make it so all anyone wants to do IS get to where they want to be, then you're right, nobody gets off the freeway. Make it so they dont take the freeway at all instead of repeating the process of dangling a carrot at the end of the freeway; forcing people to take the freeway just so they get the carrot. If EQN can make the traveling experience that way, and not force you to go get the carrots, then ya wouldn't be concerned with ports; it would then be about the exploration and happenning upon a mob by circumstance that drops the carrot.

I can't comment on this cuz I stopped playing WoW long before MoP was released. Nor I have been back to determine how well or what is they are doing in relation to exploration since my departure. What I will say is that the entire game you should be saying "Oh, wow, this is cooll" for the entire game and not just upon getting where you need to be.

My point is, EQN should create a world so essentally somebody should be able to spend their entire existence in an area if they so choose and be fully occupied and content. And if they do venture away from that area, that next area grants them the same results; allowing them the opportunity to now spend their entire existence in that area. Of course the areas should look differently. Some people may prefer the mountains over  a coastline, or a forest over a desert, or some people may like a combination of all of those things. Aesthetically they should all be different areas that allow them to seperates themselves from each other. But I would like to see EQN perhaps accomplish this in a way that allows areas to have things that are the same asother areas but still have something that's unique about them.

But not so unique that  no other area has that unique distinguisher (not talking asthetics), maybe they just have a higher concentration of it in another area; using like mats for crafting say as an example. Maybe one place is better for mining silver ore than another but only because of the higher concentration of it, but yet every area is able to mine it. As long as EQN can balance it so that silver ore is available in every zone (and enough of it in the areas that it isnt unique to  persay) or making silver ore the most sought after thing in the game due to its profit value, then people want to stay in that particular area; because that "thing" that is unique about that area is what that person likes the most. Now you're making an area people want to stay in as a result of it being their favorite place because of that uniqueness and not because of the carrot. In a world like this, would we really need ports?

Lol make people pay real money for fast travel, like you would an airplane. After all it is going the pay to achieve things faster route most likely.

• Pixel_JockeyPixel_Jockey Member Posts: 165

I'm hoping that EQ has limited fast travel. I think the perfect system is one or two classes with TP, boats for rent that cost, and boats for free that only leave at intervals. If the world is huge, then I'd add in some kind of spires for travel between the largest areas. Mounts for sure for land travel. I also like bind recall for all players with a long cast and cycle time.

I'm really against free fast travel to everywhere, or even to places you've already been. I hope that people want to fight in an area so that you recognize other players in your area because you've seen them before.

+1

The fast travel system in GW2 (plus no mounts) helped ruin the game for me personally.

Originally posted by Pixel_Jockey

+1

The fast travel system in GW2 (plus no mounts) helped ruin the game for me personally.

But Im guessing you still used it while you played? You could have always opted not to.

i think having teleport points kind of like what Vanguard had, mixed with a system like early EQ1 had would be best. The spires of Norrath are iconic. 

• PhoenixC13PhoenixC13 Member UncommonPosts: 119
    What about an offline travel system that locks you out of your char for X amount of time but then you get back on they are in the area you wanted to go.

• Pixel_JockeyPixel_Jockey Member Posts: 165
    Originally posted by cybertrucker
    Originally posted by Pixel_Jockey

+1

But Im guessing you still used it while you played? You could have always opted not to.

i think having teleport points kind of like what Vanguard had, mixed with a system like early EQ1 had would be best. The spires of Norrath are iconic. 

Totally true, I agree I could have not used them. But, for me, the fact they were there and others used them broke immersion for me a bit. This is just a small example of by gripes with the game, but that's not a discussion for this thread.

• kjempffkjempff Member RarePosts: 1,759

To be honest, I think there is too much focus on slow travel. There are so many other things that needs to be right, that are much more important. Sure it is nice to have and give a real world feel, but a limited form of fast travel I am in favor of.

Eq had fast travel from the beginning anyways, it was called druid and wizard gates and everyone used it - Including YOU.

In vanguard there were at first no fast travel, but that meant I could not join my friends on another continent because it took litterally 1 hour to run there. Later it got a few gates on each continent, now you could be there in 20 mins but still not effordless.

What I want are mechanics that makes sense, and that you have to make an efford to use. Running from Feydark to Commonlands for a group arriving 40 mins later was not fun, but to open map and click a waypoint (like gw2) and be instantly there is stupid too.

I kindda liked how WoW did it, two people had to travel with griffons for 5-10-15 mins to a dungeon but once there they could summon someone else at the entrance. It required some efford and travel and running, a good compromise .. for WoW.

Anyways.. forced pauses in combat, much more important.. makes people talk, travelling is after you done it 100 times is a timezink.

• QullexQullex Member Posts: 12
    If the game supports gameplay that is conducive to slow travel, sure. If I need to go from Town A to Fort B and I know that its going to be an exciting journey each and every time, by all means restrict it to slow travel. Have yet to see a publisher implement that with any degree of success. If they can't make it a neat experience each and every time, fast travel please. I don't want to waste my limited gaming time starring at a horse's arse for quarter of an hour or longer (some longer travel routes in LOTRO are like this and this is with taxi mount that has highest run speed in game) or hacking my way through hundred identical rats every time I want to go somewhere.
  • WellzyCWellzyC Member UncommonPosts: 599

"gettting there is half the fun"   Holds true irl, holds true in mmos.

Less immersion breaking carebear -phasing- instanced- cutscene- fast travel game machanincs, more virtual world k thx.

The way mmo's were: Community, Exploration, Character Development, Conquest.

The way mmo's are now : Cut-Scenes,Cut-Scenes, solo Questing, Cut-Scenes...

www.CeaselessGuild.com

• VyntVynt Member UncommonPosts: 757

Travel in EQ1 wasn't really that slow. The faster traveling (druid and wiz gates) was cooperative, which I think added to the game. With SoW, and gates, travel was pretty speedy, unless you were going to the other side of the world without a player gate.

There were plenty of ways to keep travel times down, liking binding near your hunting spots so you wouldn't have long run backs.

Even when they added in the pok books, people still had to run a bit.

Every now and then there were a few really long treks, if I didn't bother to get a gate, but I had the same kind of treks in WoW. Before they changed it, the trip from darnassus to stormwind probably was about the same going from halas to freeport, if not gfay.

For fast travel, I'd like to see player run travel, for greater coop and immersion (druid, wiz), and speed spells like SoW. Mounts are fine, really the same thing as SoW, but I always liked the super fast running speed instead of mounts lol. It was always nice casting SoW on self outside the dungeon and having its benefit for the next 30+ minutes inside, while with a mount, you can't use inside.

• asdarasdar Member UncommonPosts: 662

I don't really disagree with you kjempff on the point that there are much more important issues. This was just one I was thinking of.

Here's what I like the most about certain classes having TP. It gives incentive to make friends. I know that sounds crazy especially to people that have friends that play, and I have a few that will, but still I think just saying hi to your druid/wizard friend is worth something. I can't tell you the number of times I got into fun that started with me asking a friend for a TP.

I guess for me I'd like to extend this 'need' across the classes. In EQ Clerics rez'd so they were needed, Wizards and Druids TP'd and later in some cases Necro's coffin'd people out. It's probably stretching it a bit to include necros.

I wouldn't mind at all seeing traps that needed rogues or SK's maybe, or some other class based skill that you would want to have around for other reasons than combat. That class need is something I miss. While I don't love the trinity, I do want classes of some kind and for diverse groups to be better than stacked groups.

Asdar

• hMJemhMJem Member Posts: 465

Summoning Stones in WoW was a good idea, bad in execution. I was in a lot of groups where we had to /roll and the lowest 2-3 had to go the stone. And if the other faction had more than you at the summoning stone, you had to be like "sorry, you need to get here on your own"

Take off your nostalgia glasses, and it was a pain in the ass in EQ1 after the first time. I personally dont mind how WoW does it. I liked Mists of Pandaria zones and the scenery and still appreciated it even with waypoints. Who is Everquest Next's target audience? The common MMO fan + EQ vets most likely. EQ vets are older now. Probably in their 20+. A lot of them have real life obligations. And then the common MMO fan, which have certain expectations + a semi young crowd that is used to be being gifted everything for free. You NEED aspects of your MMO that you can hop on, play for 45 minutes or an hour, and leave. If it takes 45 minutes to get to where you want to be, then they will not bother getting on. And we all know how it goes with MMO. Not getting on one day leads to not getting on during the week, and slowly you're quitting the game and submitting to the idea that yo're not going to play it.

I will not be surprised at all if there is some sort of LFG system in Everquest Next. They said their company is dependant on the success of this game, and its too much to challenge the casual fanbase. You HAVE to appease them in ways.

The way you launch a game is you suck up to the hardcore players, make sure there is end-game content for them. They are a powerful vocal minority -- They will HATE your game from the forums and game within, and whether you want to believe it or not, it changes a casuals experience or even makes them adopt the same mentality. Have content ready for max level, then work on more content to flow in. If your end game is good, popular streamers will advertise your game on their social media and their stream and get new people to play. Hardcore players will fight for your game if its a good game, even if the population suffers.

With an MMO nowadays, 3-6 months is too long to wait for new content. People slowly fickle out of the game, or just log in for new content day. Obviously make sure the leveling is awesome, but a common flop for recent MMOs is lack of end-game content. Promising it isnt enough. You have to have it AT LAUNCH or 2 weeks into it. You cant launch the game THEN start end-game content, the game moves faster than your company produces.