Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

why is everyone so excited for this game

Comments

• maccarthur2004maccarthur2004 Member UncommonPosts: 511
    Originally posted by TehTic
    Originally posted by maccarthur2004
    I was able to catch a few videos of this upcoming North American release. Honestly I cannot understand why everybody is excited for this game! As that it has run of the mill graphics, attack  effects, and combat. The concept seems to be sound, but in my opinion the game is launching way too late to have a large appeal due to the already stated   generally poor game. Maybe somebody would like to explain why there's so much hype for another average game that is behind the general gaming community in time.

It is a AAA mmo different from all other AAA mmos released in the last 10 years. It's the closest of Ultima Online that a AAA title reached until now.

I am so sick of this is the closest thing to Ultima online. Ultima online in its time was a great game but things have changed what worked then no longer works plain and simple. That's just like rehashing your old high school football game forever and ever severely lame.

I disagree.

Ultima Online is a paradigm about how the concept of  a "virtual world" mean to be, like in the first people dreams  when the internet was created.

• maccarthur2004maccarthur2004 Member UncommonPosts: 511
    Is necessary MUCH more than a race car to damage this mmo to the point it become equal or worse than the options currently available.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001
    Originally posted by Sovrath
    I was able to catch a few videos of this upcoming North American release. Honestly I cannot understand why everybody is excited for this game! As that it has run of the mill graphics, attack  effects, and combat. The concept seems to be sound, but in my opinion the game is launching way too late to have a large appeal due to the already stated   generally poor game. Maybe somebody would like to explain why there's so much hype for another average game that is behind the general gaming community in time.

Being able to build your own buildings, build your own castle and defend it?

creating your own towns?

For those interested, planting and harvesting your own farms? naval battles? Open pvp?

Large customization of your character as far as abiliities.

there aren't many games coming out that have much of that.

[mod edit]

and the better choices are?

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452
    I don't see "everyone so excited" about the game, most people who like the ideas in ArcheAge seem to be as someone else said "cautiously optimistic". It is way down on the hype levels of other AAA 2013 releases.
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001
    Originally posted by GwapoJosh
    O

It would be fucking annoying seeing cars driving everywhere in this game.  Hopefully they are just for a mini game.  I def wouldn't play if the roads are all filled with modern day cars.  Massive immersion breaker.

I will agree with you that this is a part that is a turn off for me.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • LeiloniLeiloni Member RarePosts: 1,266
    It doesn't matter to me how many cool features a game has if it's tab target. That just ruins everything. If a game doesn't have good action combat I can't play it becuase otherwise it's just not fun in the least bit. I'd get bored with the first mob kill. Not to mention as someone who enjoys playing a healer, tab target healing is a piece of shit compared to action combat healing.
  • znaiikaznaiika Member Posts: 203
    Originally posted by GroovyFlower
    Originally posted by sirphobos
    People are always excited for games that aren't out yet.

And then the hype begins...after release maybe week first poored in here saying it sucks neverending cycle it seems:)

DFUW was hyped, but what happened now? game is not interesting anymore?

I want to try ArcheAge for it's sandbox features, but if it is going to be like Neverwinter with cash shop? I'll have to think about it.

I don't mind to pay for game $50 at release and then pay $15 subs, but paing $100's for services? is too much for virtual world.

And I hope it's not tab-target combat, at least make an option for tab-target players, I want pure action combat, that's were all the fun is.

• DAS1337DAS1337 Member UncommonPosts: 2,610

This is trolling.  There's really no way that you can say a Cryengine 3 MMO is 'run of the mill graphics.  You sir are a blind fool, you can suspend me, I don't care.  This person should get a suspend for being a dumbass.  You can't count on your hand the MMO's using this engine.  It is cutting edge in MMO gaming at the moment, and the only reason you are saying they are bad if it you are completely blind or completely trolling.

A game is launching too late?  Are you serious?  No, this is another obvious troll topic.  Name a game lately that has come out on time or waited 'too long' in order to make sure everything is finished properly.  You can't name any, and that's all there is to it.  People bitch because games are rushed, and now they are bitching because they are delayed to make proper adjustments to ensure it is finished?  Hilarious!

There is so much hype because it is a game that has nearly everything that you can think of.  PvE?  Got it.  PvP?  Got it.  Player economy?  Got it.  Player housing?  Got it.  Player ships?  Got it.  Territory control?  Got it.  Roleplaying features?  Got it.  Jail?  Got it.  Flying mounts, ground mounts, and underwater travel?  Got it.  Pets and the ability to tame?  Got it.  A plethora of harvesting and crafting?  Got it.  Incredibly flexible class structure?  Got it.  Climb trees?  Got it.  Change the actual landscape? Got it.  Should I go on?

The damn game has literally everything that you'd ever want.  It even has freakin' discoballs when you dance.  Are you serious?  No, you can't possibly be serious.  I call troll or moron.  Either way, it was worth getting suspended.

• fs23otmfs23otm Member RarePosts: 506
    I am not foaming at the mouth to play this game right now. However, I am keeping an eye on it. Along with game like TESO, EQ  Next. Currently playing NW and Defiance.
  • LeiloniLeiloni Member RarePosts: 1,266
    Originally posted by znaiika
    Originally posted by GroovyFlower
    Originally posted by sirphobos
    People are always excited for games that aren't out yet.

And then the hype begins...after release maybe week first poored in here saying it sucks neverending cycle it seems:)

DFUW was hyped, but what happened now? game is not interesting anymore?

I want to try ArcheAge for it's sandbox features, but if it is going to be like Neverwinter with cash shop? I'll have to think about it.

I don't mind to pay for game $50 at release and then pay $15 subs, but paing $100's for services? is too much for virtual world.

And I hope it's not tab-target combat, at least make an option for tab-target players, I want pure action combat, that's were all the fun is.

Sorry but ArcheAge is pure WoW style traditional tab target combat. No fun new changes or anything. They are shooting themselves in the foot with such an awful style of combat IMO, but that's what they're going with and that's why I am not playing.

• fantasyfreak112fantasyfreak112 Member Posts: 499
    Originally posted by steelwind
    Originally posted by fantasyfreak112
    And then someone storms your castle in a modern race car they bought in the cash shop haha. Immersion? You must be joking.

You know what they say about assumptions?!

NOTHING is known about the true function of the car. Did you ever think it is made for other purposes and may not be able to be used as the equivalant of a mount? It seems to me that it will serve the function of ohh lets see, a race car for umm, races. Nothing was ever said about being able to use it in normal gameplay but hey assume away.

Deluding yourself if you think a race car isn't going to be a mount. Sorry but this game will be no more a sandbox then Neverwinter......lol.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.
  • k11keeperk11keeper Member UncommonPosts: 1,048
    Originally posted by Leiloni
    It doesn't matter to me how many cool features a game has if it's tab target. That just ruins everything. If a game doesn't have good action combat I can't play it becuase otherwise it's just not fun in the least bit. I'd get bored with the first mob kill. Not to mention as someone who enjoys playing a healer, tab target healing is a piece of shit compared to action combat healing.

I hate action combat like TERA if it had this I wouldn't play. Different styles for different people.

• steelwindsteelwind Member UncommonPosts: 352

I could understand your point till you got to action combat and healer. From my experience healing in action combat games is more or less ineffiencient and gimmicky. The last class I would want to play in an action combat MMO is a healer and I feel most that play healers as their main would prefer tab target.

Needless to say AA isn't going to change to action combat, so if that is a deal breaker for you, move on.

Originally posted by k11keeper

I hate action combat like TERA if it had this I wouldn't play. Different styles for different people.

Agreed, aiming attacks at a monster that is stationary 90% of the time anyways is not "action combat" that's just aiming. I much prefer turn based strategy, which no MMO really does well currently :(

• steelwindsteelwind Member UncommonPosts: 352
    And then someone storms your castle in a modern race car they bought in the cash shop haha. Immersion? You must be joking.

You know what they say about assumptions?!

NOTHING is known about the true function of the car. Did you ever think it is made for other purposes and may not be able to be used as the equivalant of a mount? It seems to me that it will serve the function of ohh lets see, a race car for umm, races. Nothing was ever said about being able to use it in normal gameplay but hey assume away.

Deluding yourself if you think a race car isn't going to be a mount. Sorry but this game will be no more a sandbox then Neverwinter......lol.

I don't make assumptions, I base my statements on fact or actual experience.

Ohh btw have you played AA, since you have such strong knowledge and opinion?

It is kind of hard to "delude" myself when I have first hand experience.

Comparing NWN to AA just makes you look like an ass.

I don't make assumptions, I base my statements on fact or actual experience.

Ohh btw have you played AA, since you have such strong knowledge and opinion?

It is kind of hard to "delude" myself when I have first hand experience.

Comparing NWN to AA just makes you look like an ass.

Steelwind fact: it's best to assume people don't drive cars instead that they do.

• KumaponKumapon Member EpicPosts: 1,563

Originally posted by fantasyfreak112 Deluding yourself if you think a race car isn't going to be a mount. Sorry but this game will be no more a sandbox then Neverwinter......lol.
    I don't make assumptions, I base my statements on fact or actual experience. Ohh btw have you played AA, since you have such strong knowledge and opinion? It is kind of hard to "delude" myself when I have first hand experience. Comparing NWN to AA just makes you look like an ass.
    Steelwind fact: it's best to assume people don't drive cars instead that they do.

There are no cars in the game. There was a picture of a car in one of the roadmaps, but that was about it. It has never been implemented into the game. It may come in the future, but with all the negative feedback, I doubt Trion will implement them here in the western version.

Besides Steelwind plays ArcheAge, and is a valuable member of the AA community. He is well known and has a good rep. So I would tend to believe him rather than anyone else.

• faiyofaiyo Member Posts: 123

Well, mr. special snowflake, the game has a massive world and a lot to do. Simple as that. People enjoy having a lot to do in mmos, therefore people are excited. If that concept is hard to grasp than that's not anyone else's problem. Or you know, people have the right to be excited and form thier own opinons about s game they want to try.

And it's hilarious to see so much whining about cars that we'll probably won't get until seveal months after the game is released in NA. Another hilarious thing is that people acting like tab targeting i suddenly the worst thing in the world now that games that are barely 5 years old have action combat.. not every game is going to undergo a change that you want to see.

• RictisRictis Member UncommonPosts: 1,300

I am having a hard time believing that they let you build anywhere you want. I assume there are some sort of restrictions on where and when you can build?

Questions:

1) can you attack anyones town/castle any time?

2) are there NPC guards that patrol or protect your buildings, if so what are the requirements/cost?

3) is there a limit to how many players can attack a castle at one time?

4) are there safe zones during sieges or is it open pvp within an encircled area or instance?

5) are there seperate paths or gear for pvp or does everything translate from PVE to PVP

6) are there siege abilities? In other words skills or items only useful during sieges?

7) is everything destructable or just the main gates etc?

8) is there a quest grind or can you level up by simply crafting?

9) release date for NA?

• JuggernaughtManJuggernaughtMan Member Posts: 22

Thats your opinion mate. Personally, after having played some more "action" oriented games, I can say that I much prefer tab targetting combat more. It feels more tactical to me...more control.

Sucks this has to mask the dozens of other things you can do in AA.

• VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749
    It's just the noise of some of the locals that love the idea of a sandbox with free for all pvp.  I can't stand the thought myself.

• JuaksJuaks Member UncommonPosts: 271

I love all I have seen so far. Looks like is a mix of Theme park and several sandbox features.

I like the naval aspect of the game, being able to build your own ship and go sail.

The character progression, being able to mix 3 classes and make your own hybrid.

I dont know what you have seen, but the graphics are fantastic. 

A true vast open world with day/night cycle and weather. No tunnel effect. No rails.

Open world pvp.

People is whinning about a car? It's called Steam Punk and fits very well in this game. WoW has helicopters, guns and bikes...

Tab targeting? Not everyone likes action combat. I like it myself but I also like good old school tab targeting. Nothing wrong with that. Not to mention you can cast any spell/skill on the move, so combat its not stationary at all.

Housing, sieges, farming, fishing, and the list goes on...

I am just worried about the bussiness model Trion is going to use, I hope is P2P or at least B2P with decent cash shop.

I dont know anything about Defiance because never interested me. But Trion did a Fantastic job with Rift. They earned a very good reputation and I trust they will do a great job with AA.

Cant wait for the NA beta.

• SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466

I feel the same about WildStar.

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

why is everyone so excited for this game

Because people love to fill blanks with wishful thinking.

This discussion has been closed.