Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Neverwinter vs GW2 which is better?

Comments

• KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292
    As of right now hands down GW2.

• udonudon Member UncommonPosts: 1,803

I found PVE in GW2 at higher levels boring but the PVP isn't bad if you are into that kind of thing.  I find PVP in NW unplayable across the board but the Foundry really takes the edge off of PVE grind even though the gear progression system is pretty flat.  

So I guess it depends what you like to do at level cap.

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860
    Originally posted by Xirik

ive been having more fun in Neverwinter then in GW2. I think it has something to do with that spells and skills feel like they have more oomph to them. GW2 never made me feel powerful  or heroish. This game does.

Diferent strokes for different folks though.

I can't say how you feel, but in general, new games are always fun. The test will be for how long it will be fun. :)

I'm liking it but as I have said before, the rooting in NWO in place is the worst part of the game. I would like a bit more freedom on my cleric than to be locked  when casting. /shrug

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• VonatarVonatar Member UncommonPosts: 723

What a waste of a thread.

Tea or coffee? Which is better?

Originally posted by Vonatar

What a waste of a thread.

Tea or coffee? Which is better?

You need to go to here. This is a discussion forum for mmorpgs, and the discussion is about two of the top out right now. 

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454
    Ive been in GW2 since launch and just started Neverwinter.  Neverwinter is lots of fun and the Foundry is just amazing.  Despite that I prefer huge open explorable worlds which is GW2.  I'll be playing both and having fun anyway.
  • RazeeksterRazeekster Member UncommonPosts: 2,591
    Considering I got bored of Neverwinter within an hour of playing and found it extremely generic... Most defiantly Guild Wars 2.

Smile

• fledurfledur Member CommonPosts: 77

Only thing that can be compared is the overall quality of the game, everything else is a matter of personal taste.

GW2 is a giant triple-A MMORPG, made by Arena.net, a top tier company, with WoW-level of polishment. Neverwinter...huh...a generic F2P game made by Cryptic? which is owned by Perfect World? by the way, Neverwinter has "this is a perfect world game" writen all over it....so sad...sure it has some fun things, but the game is so cheap I can't believe ppl compare it to GW2.

• MyriaMyria Member UncommonPosts: 699
    Originally posted by Amjoco

I can't say how you feel, but in general, new games are always fun. The test will be for how long it will be fun. :)

In general I'd agree, new games are usually a blast -- at least for a while. For *me*, however, GW2 was not, I found it pretty boring from the get-go and as I've tried going back to it periodically, even getting into a guild full of very nice people, I've yet to find much in the way of entertainment, let alone fun. Much as I loved GW1, perhaps in part because of that, GW2 just seems to lack that spark and I end up wondering how anyone finds the depressingly shallow and repetitive... Well, everything, entertaining.

To each their own, I suppose. I've long wondered something similar about Eve, another game I find myself periodically wasting a month or two in trying to find that nugget of fun so many seem to see. To be fair to Eve, it, at least, I do find fun for a little while. It's just that for me it takes very little time before things start feeling tedious.

In any event, Neverwinter has, for *me*, definitely had that 'new game fun' feel. As with Tera, skills rooting you seems wrong somehow given the 'action-ie' combat, but meh and otherwise it's pretty fun in a mindless ARPG kind of way.

The fact that PWI/Cryptic is involved and the whole nature of the cash shop gives me serious pause -- frankly I'd be much more comfortable were there a sub option (sub option, mind, both GW2 and Defiance have put me off of the whole notion of B2P, with both having gameplay so obviously designed around trying to push their cash shop that charging for the box is honestly an insult) -- but it's still too early to worry about those things.

For now I'd say NW by a very large margin.

How large I'll feel that margin to be in a few weeks is another question.

• MackeskimoMackeskimo Member Posts: 50
    GW2 is more polished.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

Good news. NWO is F2P. So i will have my fun, no matter how short, and move on.

So far, the combat is pretty good though.

• StofftierStofftier Member Posts: 93
    gw2 pvp is far away frome anything with this rezzing "      " <------- dont even know how to call it.Was for me atleast the biggest let down of every  mmorpg i ever seen.If i shoot something down in a figth and its down it should stay down period.Not that rezzing is new to mmorpgs but the way gw2 handles this is only horrible.
  • botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    Originally posted by Myria

In general I'd agree, new games are usually a blast -- at least for a while. For *me*, however, GW2 was not, I found it pretty boring from the get-go and as I've tried going back to it periodically, even getting into a guild full of very nice people, I've yet to find much in the way of entertainment, let alone fun. Much as I loved GW1, perhaps in part because of that, GW2 just seems to lack that spark and I end up wondering how anyone finds the depressingly shallow and repetitive... Well, everything, entertaining.

To each their own, I suppose. I've long wondered something similar about Eve, another game I find myself periodically wasting a month or two in trying to find that nugget of fun so many seem to see. To be fair to Eve, it, at least, I do find fun for a little while. It's just that for me it takes very little time before things start feeling tedious.

In any event, Neverwinter has, for *me*, definitely had that 'new game fun' feel. As with Tera, skills rooting you seems wrong somehow given the 'action-ie' combat, but meh and otherwise it's pretty fun in a mindless ARPG kind of way.

The fact that PWI/Cryptic is involved and the whole nature of the cash shop gives me serious pause -- frankly I'd be much more comfortable were there a sub option (sub option, mind, both GW2 and Defiance have put me off of the whole notion of B2P, with both having gameplay so obviously designed around trying to push their cash shop that charging for the box is honestly an insult) -- but it's still too early to worry about those things.

How does GW2 push the CS in game play? That one statement totally invalidates your discussion points. Now if it was like, Allods Online, where you have to buy perfume (it helps with survivability) once you get over lvl 30 or you die, that is pushing the CS in game play. Name one area where GW2 pushes the CS in game play/

I tried Neverwinter in beta and found it the same old follow quests from point A to point B. Very linear game play. People like the player made content but I think it shows how little Cryptic wanted to put into the game in the first place.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by botrytis

I tried Neverwinter in beta and found it the same old follow quests from point A to point B. Very linear game play. People like the player made content but I think it shows how little Cryptic wanted to put into the game in the first place.

Seems fair when the game is free.

The most important thing is combat seems fun, at least at low level. It is better to view NWO as a online ARPG, rather than a MMORPG. Most of the fun stuff happened in instances anyway.

• DraGzielDraGziel Member UncommonPosts: 67

I've played both so I am going to be honest. GW2 is better than  NW until you understand the hidden "grind" you are doing over and over again. Yes, I mean the fact the you keep farming hearts and events over and over again. Once you realize that, at least  that happened to me, you will get bored fast. And if you are not into the battle-grounds pvp, then gw2 loses its charm. 

On the other hand, NW is much more "fun" just because of the fact that it is much more "simple" and linear. Quests are fun to do and instances are great. To tell you the truth, you won't notice much of a difference between gw2's open world and nw's instanced world. Both seemed as single player games most of the time with gw2 winning this battle( my opinion). 

Both are great games and both deserve to be at least tried out. I had fun in both games but gw2 kinda let me down with its "end-game". That is just me though. Haven't tried NW's endgame so I cannot judge it yet...

Originally posted by DraGziel

I've played both so I am going to be honest. GW2 is better than  NW until you understand the hidden "grind" you are doing over and over again. Yes, I mean the fact the you keep farming hearts and events over and over again. Once you realize that, at least  that happened to me, you will get bored fast. And if you are not into the battle-grounds pvp, then gw2 loses its charm. 

On the other hand, NW is much more "fun" just because of the fact that it is much more "simple" and linear. Quests are fun to do and instances are great. To tell you the truth, you won't notice much of a difference between gw2's open world and nw's instanced world. Both seemed as single player games most of the time with gw2 winning this battle( my opinion). 

Both are great games and both deserve to be at least tried out. I had fun in both games but gw2 kinda let me down with its "end-game". That is just me though. Haven't tried NW's endgame so I cannot judge it yet...

I agree except for your last paragraph. I'm not sure what an end game is anymore. In WoW it was to get the best gear so you could raid to get the best gear.

Comparatively, GW2 you would have to get Legendary gear and if you haven't gotten it, then you haven't reached end game. For me I have exalted gear all made by me which was challenging! When I look at legendary and what it takes to get it, it makes me dizzy! :)

If you got to 80 in GW2 you have scratched the surface of the game, and to me it isn't considered end game! Even after that you are still accruing achievement points that can be used so you are still leveling in a sense. /shrug

Like you, I will keep playing both. I find NWO new and exciting because I want to see what it holds around the next corner and the foundry missions will make it interesting for a long time!

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317

farming hearts?  Do you mean through alts?

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

• ThaneUlfgarThaneUlfgar Member Posts: 283
    Considering that Neverwinter is still in Beta, it seems a bit dumb to compare it to GW2 at this point. But hey, whatever floats your boat, I guess.
  • DraGzielDraGziel Member UncommonPosts: 67

I agree except for your last paragraph. I'm not sure what an end game is anymore. In WoW it was to get the best gear so you could raid to get the best gear.

Comparatively, GW2 you would have to get Legendary gear and if you haven't gotten it, then you haven't reached end game. For me I have exalted gear all made by me which was challenging! When I look at legendary and what it takes to get it, it makes me dizzy! :)

If you got to 80 in GW2 you have scratched the surface of the game, and to me it isn't considered end game! Even after that you are still accruing achievement points that can be used so you are still leveling in a sense. /shrug

Like you, I will keep playing both. I find NWO new and exciting because I want to see what it holds around the next corner and the foundry missions will make it interesting for a long time!

I agree. GW2 is supposed to NOT have an "endgame". They have stated that the whole game should be considered as an endgame. Nevertheless, when simply hitting 80 in gw2 the game is not over, i agree. You should at least get exotic gear set, do the dungeons (at least story mode), finish personal story etc. But after that is done, what is there to do? If it had open world pvp then that would be the perfect game for me but it doesn't. Anyways I'm not going to get any further into that because it is kinda off topic. 

But like I said, NW and GW2 are both great games and different on what they try to do. So people should give them a try. Especially NW that is f2p.

• apocolusterapocoluster Member UncommonPosts: 1,326
    Ill vote for Neverwinter.   While I honestly can't aw see about gw2s story( as I could only play it for 2 weeks before putting it down) I think the foundry system can keep me entertained

No matter how cynical you become, its never enough to keep up - Lily Tomlin

• CerkusPhreakCerkusPhreak Member Posts: 2
  • stevebombsquadstevebombsquad Member UncommonPosts: 884
    Originally posted by botrytis
    Originally posted by Myria

How does GW2 push the CS in game play? That one statement totally invalidates your discussion points. Now if it was like, Allods Online, where you have to buy perfume (it helps with survivability) once you get over lvl 30 or you die, that is pushing the CS in game play. Name one area where GW2 pushes the CS in game play/

Come on now. GW2 events aren't that much different. They happen in the same place and recycle. The tasks are no different than quests. Now if you had said GW2 has more of a world feel then I would buy it. But even then, when an event keeps recycling it gets rather annoying....

James T. Kirk: All she's got isn't good enough! What else ya got?

• korent1991korent1991 Member UncommonPosts: 1,364
    Originally posted by ThaneUlfgar
    Considering that Neverwinter is still in Beta, it seems a bit dumb to compare it to GW2 at this point. But hey, whatever floats your boat, I guess.

ofcourse it's in "beta" .... but don't you think it's pretty much the final product what we're seeing here?

I expect few minor bug fixes and everything to remain exactly the same so I think it's ok to compare games since it won't change much, like any other game in betas.

"Happiness is not a destination. It is a method of life."
    -------------------------------

• MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614
    Originally posted by Ramanadjinn

is this a serious thread?

On the off chance it is, Neverwinter is free.  Go play it and see if you like it.

GW2 is not free but they have free weekends. 

dumb dumb dumb, GW2 is free.

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

• SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466
    Originally posted by Muke
    Originally posted by Ramanadjinn

is this a serious thread?

On the off chance it is, Neverwinter is free.  Go play it and see if you like it.

GW2 is not free but they have free weekends. 

dumb dumb dumb, GW2 is free.

No it's not, you can't play GW2 unless you buy the actual box or game.

As for which is better, NW is my preferance especially when it comes to the combat.