Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Review] Age of Wushu: Potentially Great

2»

Comments

• melenonemelenone Member Posts: 25
    I had fun while playing this game but.....I work for a living and the game wanted 8-10 hours a day to do anything.I just couldnt get anything done in a 3 hour time span.I wasnt confused or bored i must note that.It is just a lifestyle they are trying to make out of a game and i want to have a life still.Im basically saying there is a overload small random stuff you must do for 2 hours at a time.This is what got me from playing sto.....long random bs of things that will make you dovote hours into doing just 1 small thing for your character.
  • silvermembersilvermember Member UncommonPosts: 526

Originally posted by koboldfodder

-LAG.  The game is twitch combat.  Lag effectively ends the enjoyment of the game right here.

The lag is only a problem for people not playing in the U.S. Since the game isn't has a European publisher don't dogged the game for being laggy when you are not the intented audience aka someone NOT in america.

I agree with everything else you said.

• manio22manio22 Member UncommonPosts: 35

"For example, team cultivation (a skill building mini game) doesn’t actually require a team, so there’s no need to stand around begging for a group to get it done"

....feck...just logged out of this game, failing a TP on a mountain where i just got a random invite, finding myself in a 10 R group without knowing what to do ...Nedless to say they were all mad at me :/     But besides that game has a really good potential.

I may not agree with what you say but I will defend to the death your right to say it
    --Voltaire

• MasterZedXMasterZedX Member UncommonPosts: 32

I don't even play this game atm but wtf is this "Not everyone has the time or the patience to read through scads of text, assimilate and apply those many, many lessons." 

WHY PLAY AN MMO IF YOU DON'T HAVE TIME AND PATIENCE TO IMMERSE/ASSIMILATE YOURSELF INTO THE GAME!!?!? WTF the logic man unreal. 

This is why MMO standards have gone to shit 

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    I really wanted to like the game but I suppose I am a product of the new MMO generation (even though Ive been playing since Asheron's Call in 1999).  I prefer systems and structures in place that are easy to use but hard to master.  AoW has way to much depth and it is too daunting to learn something complex before you can get to the fun.  I prefer jumping in, playing and being remotely knowledgeable at the start.  I do not like having to learn new thingsand commit to muscle memory things that should be and could be more easy.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• FdzzaiglFdzzaigl Member UncommonPosts: 2,433

I find that the gameplay section of this review zoomed in way too much on the "lost" feel for newbies of the game (which is definitely true btw), without mentioning the complexity of combat or the awesome duels / pvp / etc.

Otherwise, the review was fair.

Feel free to use my referral link for SW:TOR if you want to test out the game. You'll get some special unlocks!

• OlgarkOlgark Member UncommonPosts: 342

I don't often like F2P games as the cash shop is usualy a Pay to Win . But this game I like, the look and feel of the game is nice and the sandbox elements to the game world is refreshing.

Yes it is a complex game when you delve deep into it but it is also rewarding.

• ToothmanToothman Member UncommonPosts: 76

Originally posted by Burntvet

Originally posted by RefMinor

Originally posted by Burntvet

And further, the article did not really mention how very gimped you are if you want to be a frequent player without a VIP sub, as compared to playing free. The difference and level of restriction is significant and deserves to be highlighted.

Nothing in life is free if you want the best experience, F2P is only free if you are happy being the gimp.

I don't even say that is wrong, but it AT LEAST deserved mention in the review, as it is a rather glaring flaw. And legitimate to point out: it is almost impossible to advance your toon as a "free player" unless you buy currency. Period. Thus, you either need to pay for the VIP sub, or pay for currency, there is no real way to play for free and get anywhere. And LOL @ comparing this game to EvE. No, just no.

I've got 2 f2p accounts that  are working on their 2nd inner skill.   Haven't bought a thing on either toon.  Please explain why you were unable to do this?

• iJustWantiJustWant Member Posts: 81

I couldn't uninstall this P2W garbage quickly enough.

I had a quest to plant a "Soybean" but the quest giver gave me "Soy bean".

I had a quest that required me to talk to the 2nd NPC standing a few pixels away, where the 1st NPC & quest giver says "Hello, you are the fine upstanding, bold and daring of the spirit in the strength of the muscles, I am the asking of the help? To the sky of the dragon in the night for the jewel in the plains to the sword through a valley of fire to reach for the cloud and of the falling to be in the drops of rain to the sands on the beach by the ocean of forever? Do you accept?" (spoiler alert: he wanted me to hand the 2nd NPC a piece of paper).

Yet the cash shop has "Welcome to the cash shop. Please select a form of payment."

• OpapanaxOpapanax Member Posts: 973
    Originally posted by iJustWant

I couldn't uninstall this P2W garbage quickly enough.

I had a quest to plant a "Soybean" but the quest giver gave me "Soy bean".

I had a quest that required me to talk to the 2nd NPC standing a few pixels away, where the 1st NPC & quest giver says "Hello, you are the fine upstanding, bold and daring of the spirit in the strength of the muscles, I am the asking of the help? To the sky of the dragon in the night for the jewel in the plains to the sword through a valley of fire to reach for the cloud and of the falling to be in the drops of rain to the sands on the beach by the ocean of forever? Do you accept?" (spoiler alert: he wanted me to hand the 2nd NPC a piece of paper).

Yet the cash shop has "Welcome to the cash shop. Please select a form of payment."

This says Age of Wushu in so many ways..

The localization can be a real problem. Coming from the CN script over to English will give some odd turnouts since CN is very metaphoric (sp) in it's meanings. Plus the English language has tons of slang itself..

Really though, if you can get past that you can have fun in the game. Just be ready to turne out all the bot spam. gold spam and the lack of Customer Support from Snail Games..

In fact even bringing up a Customer Service issue on their forums is a violation of their ToS on the forums and they will more than likely lock your thread before you get any meaningful response from them. Snail Games is really not to be trusted at this time with your hard earned money..

Point blank.

PM before you report at least or you could just block.

• KanjuroKanjuro Member Posts: 4
    This game is very time consuming for a f2p player to truly enjoy the game or for working people who wants to do other things in life. The instances can take up to 4 hours or more depending on your group. Guild experience is almost what keeps everyone in this game in my opinion. Being in a very good guild will help you want to keep playing. However, the effort you put into building the guild is very time consuming also. With pvp possible anytime, you cannot even gather necessary materials to help build your guild. Then the lag doesn't help at all. Playing smoothly for one moment then seeing yourself jump to unbearable lag the next is a big put down. This makes pvp also impossible to do. Honestly, I believe this game will not last past a year or 2 due to Snail Games. Customer support is very horrible and if you complain enough they will just block you out completely. For such an innovative game to have horrible people running will be AoW downfall. 
  • ChiefElginChiefElgin Member Posts: 1
    In my opinion, this game is the best and worst a game could offer.
    As a Max level (not fungal level) this game can seem a bit lacking.
    The game requires you to grind for everything.
    In general you need at least two to three hours per day for this game, to enjoy the full experience..

Each day the player needs to do the following to level.
    5x school spying (about 9 minutes per run)
    2x group cultivation (about 30 m minutes in total)
    Farming materials ( 1 hour for 3 stacks of something)
    Fight sects (9 to 30 minutes. 5 times for daily reward)
    Instances (1 to 3 hours per run)
  • flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454

Never played the game and probably won't be playing.   So I will offer my opinion.  

Potentially great in MMO language to me means it will never be a great game.  Vanguard has been potentially great for years.  I expect Wushu will be potentially great a year from now also.  

• SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466
    Originally posted by rodingo

A pretty fair review.  The biggest issues that AoW has, IMHO, is it's localization and Snail itself.  The game might be big in Asia, but that was the originally intended market.  If Snail wants the game to be big in the West, then they need to adapt to Western ideas of business such as permanent cash shop items and at the very minimum, meeting the customers halfway who have had their accounts hacked.

Other than that, the game itself is fun.  Sure it has issues, but all games do.

That's why SB should actually do a comparison review between Age Of Wushu and the European version Age Of Wulin that has just gone into beta.

GPOTATO show SnailGames USA a lesson on how to localize a MMO, everything about Age Of Wulin make the us version look pretty shabby.