Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

NW v. Neverwinter Nights I and II

2»

Comments

• ego13ego13 Member Posts: 267
    Originally posted by Sovrath
    Originally posted by codejack

NWO doesn't deserve to exist in the same universe as NWNx or DDO.

oh wow, I was just thinking that I liked this SO much more than DDO.

hmmmm well to each his own I suppose.

I enjoyed DDO, NWNx was mediocre and clumsy but was still enjoyable, but Neverwinter is FUN.  If you're one of those people that can somehow pretend to be their character in-game (RP is pointless to me) then it might not be your cup of tea.  If you like something that is actually enjoyable, has some room for growth (they don't have many paragon paths yet), and runs great then you'll probably like Neverwinter Online.

However, if you like games just because they remind you of old times, don't like new things just because they aren't what you're used to already, and generally hold new games to old standards that they won't meet (and SHOULDN'T), then you won't like it.

Just because every car has similar features doesn't mean that Ferraris are copies of Model Ts. Progress requires failure and refining.

• Badgered86Badgered86 Member UncommonPosts: 175

Neverwinter Nights I and II are far more worthy of being D&D titles than the enormous piece of shit that is Neverwinter. The combat is worthy of a hack and slash game like Path of Exile rather than the more strategic combat of DDO, Neverwinter I and II, Baldur's Gate I and II, or especially the Temple of Elemental Evil.

This product is a joke. It's a shell of game that does nothing more than exploit a very popular IP in an attempt to extract a quick buck from people who want to pretend to be Drizzt Do'Urden (LOL @ $200 founders pack for this horrendously awful excuse for entertainment software) or attempt to re-create their actual tabletop/old Forgotten Realms game characters in a modern title.

The sole redeeming quality of the game is the Foundry, but it is hardly worth putting up with the complete and utter bastardization of D&D 4e rules, the Forgotten Realms, and overall poor quality and feel of the game (from combat animations to player movement).

Avoid this game like the plague. Do yourself a favor and snag ToEE from gog.com or just reinstall your favorite Baldur's Gate or Neverwinter Nights title. You'll thank me for sparing you the bandwidth and wasted time trying this abomination.

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,963

NWN 1 = Best game ever made on PC (because of the community and editor)

NWN 2 = Great representation of D&D system and one of the most aclaimed RPGs as expansion ( Mask of Betrayer)

NWN = Cheap money grab that has nothing to do with former games and is basically "That same Cryptic Game" with D&D skin (and I mean only skin because that is only similarity to D&D)

• ego13ego13 Member Posts: 267
    Originally posted by Badgered86

Neverwinter Nights I and II are far more worthy of being D&D titles than the enormous piece of shit that is Neverwinter. The combat is worthy of a hack and slash game like Path of Exile rather than the more strategic combat of DDO, Neverwinter I and II, Baldur's Gate I and II, or especially the Temple of Elemental Evil.

This product is a joke. It's a shell of game that does nothing more than exploit a very popular IP in an attempt to extract a quick buck from people who want to pretend to be Drizzt Do'Urden (LOL @ $200 founders pack for this horrendously awful excuse for entertainment software) or attempt to re-create their actual tabletop/old Forgotten Realms game characters in a modern title.

The sole redeeming quality of the game is the Foundry, but it is hardly worth putting up with the complete and utter bastardization of D&D 4e rules, the Forgotten Realms, and overall poor quality and feel of the game (from combat animations to player movement).

Avoid this game like the plague. Do yourself a favor and snag ToEE from gog.com or just reinstall your favorite Baldur's Gate or Neverwinter Nights title. You'll thank me for sparing you the bandwidth and wasted time trying this abomination.

LOL, strategy in DDO?

I guess if you didn't have a great build then it was needed, other than that with a medium amount of min/maxing you could walk through content like it was nothing.

And if you feel that this is just hack and slash you obviously didn't do anything past the first instance.  I understand completely as I shared that sentiment, until I played the third instance and saw how much coordination you needed to even finish it.  They did a great job of ramping up the difficulty without making it feel ridiculously harsh so most players can be eased into it.

I am curious how you feel they bastardized the 4e rules...did you never play that homogenized garbage system?

Just because every car has similar features doesn't mean that Ferraris are copies of Model Ts. Progress requires failure and refining.

• codejackcodejack Member Posts: 208
    Originally posted by Cirin

LOL, strategy in DDO?

I guess if you didn't have a great build then it was needed, other than that with a medium amount of min/maxing you could walk through content like it was nothing.

That varied wildly as the game progressed; yes, there have been overpowered abilities and classes in the past, and to some extent even now, but they tend to correct things as they go.

That's the one thing I will grant Turbine: In general, they find out what their customers want, and they deliver; Cryptic/perfect world either don't know or don't care.

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690
    Neverwinter Nights just blows NW2 and Neverwinter away. There is just no comparison to how great Neverwinter Nights was.
  • binary_0011binary_0011 Member Posts: 528
    Originally posted by Sovrath
    Originally posted by codejack

NWO doesn't deserve to exist in the same universe as NWNx or DDO.

oh wow, I was just thinking that I liked this SO much more than DDO.

hmmmm well to each his own I suppose.

sovarth, i remember you all the way back from Lineage 2. Do you remember me?