Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The game has not launched

Comments

• QuesaQuesa Member UncommonPosts: 1,432
    Originally posted by McPickle

What they "call it" is irrelevant. It is what it is.  Marvel Heros isnt a MMO, but the website says it is. Its an arpg with a lobby that has an "area" that you can see more than 3 people. Do you guys want to argue that it is because "They say so on the website"?

Saying it's open beta is the lamest crap ever. I would be willing to bet a large amount of cash that this is way more of a "launch" for Cryptic/PWE than changing a staus on the website sometime in the future. Public entry plus cash shop= launch. But this shouldn't even matter. These companies are not new. This isn't their first launch. There is no excuse for this when they are taking money. Having "some" issues is to be expected. Telling people they can play the game when they clearly can't is another. That example posted up above for AO WAS FROM 2001! 2001! Mmos are having the same issues 12 years later. Not acceptable.

I was never expecting to come to this site and see a reason for anything to be "Cuz they said so"

Turn off the cash shop and ok you can call it a beta. What part of "testing" = profit exactly?  

It's almost like you haven't played a newly-released MMO that happens to be popular.

Star Citizen Referral Code: STAR-DPBM-Z2P4
  • cybertruckercybertrucker Member UncommonPosts: 1,117
    Originally posted by McPickle

What they "call it" is irrelevant. It is what it is.  Marvel Heros isnt a MMO, but the website says it is. Its an arpg with a lobby that has an "area" that you can see more than 3 people. Do you guys want to argue that it is because "They say so on the website"?

Saying it's open beta is the lamest crap ever. I would be willing to bet a large amount of cash that this is way more of a "launch" for Cryptic/PWE than changing a staus on the website sometime in the future. Public entry plus cash shop= launch. But this shouldn't even matter. These companies are not new. This isn't their first launch. There is no excuse for this when they are taking money. Having "some" issues is to be expected. Telling people they can play the game when they clearly can't is another. That example posted up above for AO WAS FROM 2001! 2001! Mmos are having the same issues 12 years later. Not acceptable.

I was never expecting to come to this site and see a reason for anything to be "Cuz they said so"

Turn off the cash shop and ok you can call it a beta. What part of "testing" = profit exactly?  

The same as taking money for pre orders for open beta access. Which is something game developers have been doing for years.  Also I'm guessing your new to MMOs because y obviously have no idea what open betas are for..they are to stress test the server tech. Which is exactly what we have going on that everyone is whining and crying about.

As for being a fan boy trying to defend a beloved game.. LOL i have barely even looked at this game untill this past week. I have glanced at it here or there die to the fact I like 4th edition. What prompted me to start this thread is the sheer amount of ignorance that has been flooding these forums due to some false claim of this being a full launch.  Which it is not. It is an open beta stress test. But apparently we have a forum full of new comers to the MMO industry that just don't seem to understand that's what happens with these games.

As for being allowed to keep their characters after this beta test. I say great business decision to cryptic for allowing their beta testers and potential future customers that opportunity.

• reeereeereeereee Member UncommonPosts: 1,636
    Originally posted by Alber_gamer
    Originally posted by remyburke

The second they started accepting money in the in-game store was the second the game launched. To clarify, I haven't given this game a dime, but to say that this game is a "soft launch" or still in "open beta" is just a mincing of words and a clever way to hide the obvious issues they knew they would have ahead of time because they didn't want to dish out money for arcitecture.

Don't be ignorant, you can pay money even for the promise of making a game, before it's even a game (Kickstarter and such). Some people pay 10,000 dollars for the promise of naming a tavern and deciding an item's stats in those games, even before the game even has any graphics to look at, which proves your point moot.

When is a game launched? When the company that makes it declares it launched. Not a minute before, and not a minute after.

Today it was the first day of Open Beta stress testing and there are millions of people over the globe trying to get in because DnD is a juicy IP, and because the game is looking very gorgeous. Whenever the game really launches there won't be these problems.

Wait... since when has open beta been used for real beta testing?  I haven't heard of that happening anytime in the last 10 years.  Most problems should have been taken care of in all those betas that you had to buy a founders pack to get into... or the next round of "closed" betas they had that almost anyone could get into.

The thing is...  for a f2p game the cash shop servers extectly the same purpose a subscription does for a p2p game.  They can call it open beta all they want but you're essentially paying a subscription for an open beta and the players have every right to judge it accordingly. 

• GinazGinaz Member RarePosts: 2,455

They can call it whatever they want.  They're taking money from people and there will be no character wipes.  Thats a launch.  "Beta"  means if you get complaints about the game the developers, and fans, can scream "OMG ITS STILL IN BETA!!!" to deflect the attacks.  Beta is the new release.

Is a man not entitled to the herp of his derp?

Remember, I live in a world where juggalos and yugioh players are real things.

• ZorgoZorgo Member UncommonPosts: 2,254

The second they started accepting money in the in-game store was the second the game launched. To clarify, I haven't given this game a dime, but to say that this game is a "soft launch" or still in "open beta" is just a mincing of words and a clever way to hide the obvious issues they knew they would have ahead of time because they didn't want to dish out money for arcitecture.

How was anyone duped in your scenario? 

Seems honest and upfront. 

We'd be happy and thankful to offer you the item mall early, but please understand we are still in beta, and as such, stress testing and the like will effect game performance.

I know, they didn't make this statement above directly, but you can infer it from two facts:

1. the item mall is live

2. it is classified as beta

If one can't figure out the rest, well, fools and their money......

Your'e theory just seems to be the 'every silver lining has a black looming cloud behind it' philosophy.

• ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092
    Originally posted by cybertrucker

Those people whining and crying  about 20k people in a queue and rubber banding. Have you already forgotten, today is not launch day. Today is open BETA TESTING  day. Also many times known as STRESS TESTING. Enjoy your time trying to help the developers stress test  their servers.  Beta testing is not about your enjoyment. The game has not officially launched. When it does. I bet you will see  ore servers added.

So everyone claiming this was a bad launch? Apparently you don't understand the game has not launched. Stop getting ahead of the release and go enjoy test mode.

Perfect World launches all games as open beta to announce a year later that the game has been officially released... This open beta is the actual release since you can already spend ZEN in the cash shop. If it was a real open beta, you would not be able to and the servers would be wiped at release.

Ego: Neverwinter is launched

• KareliaKarelia Member Posts: 668
    Originally posted by Reizla

Those people whining and crying  about 20k people in a queue and rubber banding. Have you already forgotten, today is not launch day. Today is open BETA TESTING  day. Also many times known as STRESS TESTING. Enjoy your time trying to help the developers stress test  their servers.  Beta testing is not about your enjoyment. The game has not officially launched. When it does. I bet you will see  ore servers added.

So everyone claiming this was a bad launch? Apparently you don't understand the game has not launched. Stop getting ahead of the release and go enjoy test mode.

Perfect World launches all games as open beta to announce a year later that the game has been officially released... This open beta is the actual release since you can already spend ZEN in the cash shop. If it was a real open beta, you would not be able to and the servers would be wiped at release.

Very very true

Seeing as how this game supposedly had an incredibly smooth running closed beta even after the NDA was lifted.  Why would they need to deflect anything by calling an open beta for stress testing exactly what it is.

posting on iPad sux haha. Edited typos

• ZorgoZorgo Member UncommonPosts: 2,254
    Originally posted by Reizla

Could you please link me the definition of beta which specifically precludes cash shop availabilty? Oh - you mean 'your' definition of what makes a 'real' beta.....

Ergo: Watch your Ego

• HorrorScopeHorrorScope Member UncommonPosts: 599

THIS.

Stop coming up with excuses that don't server the customer. A fairer statement is it's day one of a launch, patience. But stop giving devs these outs, it doesn't server us.

• GinazGinaz Member RarePosts: 2,455
    Seeing as now this game supposedly had an incredibly smooth running closed beta even after then NDA was lifted.  Why would they need to deflect anything by calling an open beta for stress testing exactly why it is.

Its how a lot of f2p games roll these days, including Perfect World.  World of Tanks was in "beta" for quite some time before they "launched" even though there was absolutely no difference between the "beta" and the "launched" versions.  Same here.  And I'm suprised you're even asking what criticism they are needing to deflect given the log in and server issues today.

Is a man not entitled to the herp of his derp?

Remember, I live in a world where juggalos and yugioh players are real things.

• udonudon Member UncommonPosts: 1,803

How kind of you looking out for the poor corporations best interests.

Please,  the game launched the momemet they started collecting revenue for it and your progress became premanentl.  Just because a developer would like to have their cake (write off any bugs to "it's beta") and eat it to (collect revenue) doesn't mean we as consumers should let them.  I wouldn't tolerate any other business operating like this why should I let game devleopers get away with it?

As soon as you start to collect money and progress is permanent the game has launched and the developer is responsible for any poor experiences that comes from that.  If we as gamers don't hold developers to that kind of standard what exactly is to keep someone from just never moving a game out of open beta?  I mean there wouldn't be any advantages to launching a game at all under your system if they can just write off every issue that comes up as open beta while still collecting revenue.

Not that I don't think the complaints about launch aren't very over the top by some people but don't appoligize for PWI either.

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    Originally posted by PulsarMan
    Originally posted by Vannor
    Originally posted by Aerowyn
    almost all F2P games do this.. gpotato games, aeria games, Nexxon, all the big F2P companies do extended soft launches/open betas and many times they go on for 6 months+ and generally no character wipes ones that hit that stage also.. my guess is since NWO is one of the first more "mainstream" f2p releases many people don't understand this sorf of "soft launch"/open beta is standard practice for these types of games

Just because it's the standard doesn't mean we should forgive them for taking people's money when they know full well the game isn't finished. There are plus sides to it.. if they didn't do it we wouldn't get to play it as early. That can backfire though on the games popularity if the 'soft launch' problems are really bad.

It's the exact opposite of the "when it's ready" approach some devs take. Everyone is now getting a lackluster experience and a bad first impression of what the game is 'supposed' to be and they have a right to complain because many have put money into something they can't play properly.

It might be standard practice but it's still ethically wrong.

What money was taken? Free game. 

I said "many have put money into it". Loads of money has been taken so far.. if you think it hasn't then you're dreaming.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
    Originally posted by Ginaz
    Seeing as now this game supposedly had an incredibly smooth running closed beta even after then NDA was lifted.  Why would they need to deflect anything by calling an open beta for stress testing exactly why it is.

Its how a lot of f2p games roll these days, including Perfect World.  World of Tanks was in "beta" for quite some time before they "launched" even though there was absolutely no difference between the "beta" and the "launched" versions.  Same here.  And I'm suprised you're even asking what criticism they are needing to deflect given the log in and server issues today.

They are running an open beta note stress test on a FREE Dungeons and Dragons MMO with only 3 servers up and running. You can't honestly sit there and think they don't realize they are going to get slammed. This is exactly what they want to happen to stress test their server tech.

i don't see any problems with what happened today. I have to say its to be expected with a BETA test. Which is exactly what  we have going on. And anyone saying otherwise is obviously either just trolling or ignorant of how these Open beta tests work.

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    Originally posted by Vannor
    almost all F2P games do this.. gpotato games, aeria games, Nexxon, all the big F2P companies do extended soft launches/open betas and many times they go on for 6 months+ and generally no character wipes ones that hit that stage also.. my guess is since NWO is one of the first more "mainstream" f2p releases many people don't understand this sorf of "soft launch"/open beta is standard practice for these types of games

Just because it's the standard doesn't mean we should forgive them for taking people's money when they know full well the game isn't finished. There are plus sides to it.. if they didn't do it we wouldn't get to play it as early. That can backfire though on the games popularity if the 'soft launch' problems are really bad.

It's the exact opposite of the "when it's ready" approach some devs take. Everyone is now getting a lackluster experience and a bad first impression of what the game is 'supposed' to be and they have a right to complain because many have put money into something they can't play properly.

It might be standard practice but it's still ethically wrong.

not sure what game you are playing but this one is pretty damn polished for a f2p game.. i have been playing f2p since runes first came out and this one is far and away one of the most "finished" state f2p games I have seen at this stage.. also like said above if you feel this free game doesn't warrant any money spent on it don't spend anything and just play the game.

Earlier I was in a queue for just about an hour and I'm pretty sure I've never had to queue that long to get in a game.. even AO and AoC at launch.. having to wait an hour to play = can't play properly. Just because something is optionally free doesn't mean it shouldn't be criticised.. they 'want' to make money.. so they should listen to those saying it's not good enough to spend money on. It's better for everyone.. more money for them, possibly higher budget for future content for you and a higher population.

Turning people away with the ftp arguement isn't going to help the game at all in the long run.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • NikopolNikopol Member UncommonPosts: 626
    Originally posted by Eir_S

Or it's open beta and you don't know what you're talking about.  There's always that.

I'm with remy on this one. I think it's a fair objection.

I'm not saying the game's not really in open beta... but that the "open beta" label doesn't mean much when you're charging for stuff.

One poster asked what the difference would be once the game went into launch... I think that's an important question.

Think about this scenario: It's 2019 (November, Los Angeles, I guess ["I don't get it, Tyrell"]) and Perfect World has been taking money from NWN players for six years, but the game still bears the label "open beta". What would be the difference from the game having actually been launched? :)

• ManestreamManestream Member UncommonPosts: 941

I have to agree with this 100%, they may have said open beta, but those DO NOT take money in item store's they are also WIPED and CLEARED usually when going release.

Release = Item shop active and servers will not be wiped alias what this game is in right now.

As a game it has not had a very good launch at all, its had log-in problems, server crash's (ok expected) extreamly laggy with upto 10 seconds after your action bar has moved to the end before it actually does anything (not acceptible). Then they only had 3 servers which are queued to high heaven, after which if you have been in the queue too long it would crash and you would have to requeue all over again. Lots of people say they started off 4k+ posion in queue and after a half hour were into double figures (10k+), i can only sumise that founders have been placed in front or it puts people in by some other action, not when they actually signed up to queue.

Right now, am not impressed at all, by far. Will i place money into the game, have to say nope, not a chance, not in this present state.

Originally posted by Nikopol

Or it's open beta and you don't know what you're talking about.  There's always that.

I'm not saying the game's not really in open beta... but that the "open beta" label doesn't mean much when you're charging for stuff.

One poster asked what the difference would be once the game went into launch... I think that's an important question.

Think about this scenario: It's 2019 (November, Los Angeles, ["I don't get it, Tyrell"]) and Perfect World has been taking money from NWN players for six years, but the game still bears the label "open beta". What would be the difference from the game having actually been launched? :)

When they are not trying to stress their servers to ensur the servers can handle running the game under intense loads, androgen look to see how many servers they should set up for an official launch and then. Set up those new servers for a smooth non stressed officia launch and officially announce it then we will have a fully launched game.

many times they will also close the servers down while making final preps. Sometimes for a week or more. We don't  know but they could very well shut the beta down next week and do just that.

• ChloroCatChloroCat Member Posts: 98
     Yeah..the game has'nt even become official and most of the population is halfway to max lvl. Game will fall to the ranks of much lesser mmo's in just a few weeks. I would have rather had another single player Neverwinter than this...

Jymm Byuu
    Playing : Blood Bowl. Waiting for 2. Holding breath for Archeage and EQN.

Originally posted by Nikopol

Think about this scenario: It's 2019 (November, Los Angeles, ["I don't get it, Tyrell"]) and Perfect World has been taking money from NWN players for six years, but the game still bears the label "open beta". What would be the difference from the game having actually been launched? :)

When they are not trying to stress their servers to ensur the servers can handle running the game under intense loads, androgen look to see how many servers they should set up for an official launch and then. Set up those new servers for a smooth non stressed officia launch and officially announce it then we will have a fully launched game.

many times they will also close the servers down while making final preps. Sometimes for a week or more. We don't  know but they could very well shut the beta down next week and do just that.

They are making money off the game.  If you think it would be shut down for a week or even a day and give up all that revenue you are crazy.  The game has launched.

I would love to call my Toyota a Ferrari but that doesn't make it so.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Meh, whether it did or not I played with no problem (no queue) from 4-6 then Dled for my wife, we both logged in after around a two hour download (gamerfront). during the queue we ate dinner then we played from 8:30-12:30 with little issue. I can't say I have much to complain about, great co-op experience IMO.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• furbansfurbans Member UncommonPosts: 968

This "open beta" is a soft launch plain n simple. 

All the features are these minus drow but everything else is in game.

The will be no more wipes.

ANYONE can get in the game that is intrested.  From the Neverwinter News Official Forums "Neverwinter Open Beta is now live and available for all players!"

People are already at max lvl and doing endgame content.

Numerous betas have been done (and the so called "closed beta weekends" were literally open beta weekends as really anyone that wanted to play could have gotten a key) that did all the testing they needed.

The game is in a launch state just not at full force yet.

Defend the game if you want but really this "open beta" has everything that characterizes a launch.  Rushed job and ill prepared at that.

Originally posted by furbans

This "open beta" is a soft launch plain n simple. 

All the features are these minus drow but everything else is in game.

The will be no more wipes.

ANYONE can get in the game that is intrested.  From the Neverwinter News Official Forums "Neverwinter Open Beta is now live and available for all players!"

People are already at max lvl and doing endgame content.

Numerous betas have been done (and the so called "closed beta weekends" were literally open beta weekends as really anyone that wanted to play could have gotten a key) that did all the testing they needed.

The game is in a launch state just not at full force yet.

Defend the game if you want but really this "open beta" has everything that characterizes a launch.  Rushed job and ill prepared at that.

It doesn't serve PWI or the player base that will stick around longer than 4-6 weeks to overbuild servers day 1 for this game.  As much as I hate launch day issues I hate empty servers 2-3 months down the line much more.

• KareliaKarelia Member Posts: 668

06:08 eu time

2835 queue time...lol

• kaludytkkaludytk Member UncommonPosts: 45
    who gives a shit if its consider launch or just open beta. why would anyone expect anything more in regards to performance from either? the same complaints are cried out each and every time a game goes into beta or launch.