Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hate the stand still to attack or cast :(.

13»

Comments

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,010
    Originally posted by Sk1ppeR

I call bullshit. 

I can stab you in real while walking around you, I don't need a good stance to murder you if its about the realism. 

it's not about realism, it's "a game".

These are the systems they chose. Some might find it fun.

why does everything always have to be the same?

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • tropiktropik Member UncommonPosts: 97
    Dark Souls which has arguably the most deep combat system in a RPG does this also. Don't see anyone complaining about that. This adds a lot of weight to the combat and makes your decisions matter. 
  • neorandomneorandom Member Posts: 1,681
    Originally posted by rojo6934
    Originally posted by Pantherninpo
    You can move and cast in Guild Wars 2, The Secret World, TERA.

you cant move and cast / melee in TERA. You are stuck in a combat animation unless you use the evade skill. But even that is has more movement than NW.

NW added the root in place thing with the excuse that it prevents kiting. Why not then make it tactical turn based combat? Thats much better than standing still while actively slapping each other with your enemy with zero tactics. If you are going to make it action combat make it action combat. Mobility is important in action combat.

really?

i play my great weapon fighter, and im constantly moving (i dont really use the charge up at will aoe slash because most of the time im killing a big target with my encounters and my primary slash which allows me to move out of the enemies heavy attack arc while dealing heavy dmg)

even in pvp im not standing there letting someone slap me, im proneing and pwning them of constantly getting behind them so they go find a different target to fight that will let them stand there and do it, while i pwn them from behind.

• ReeseFlamelocksReeseFlamelocks Member UncommonPosts: 45

I think we can all agree that people like different playstyles. Some like the more traditional WoW/Rift/LOTRO style and some like the action-RPG style. Does one require more skill than another? That is highly debatable. If you notice, most "action-RPGs" are very light on the amount of skills or options one has in combat. GW2 actually limits you to a hard 7 (with probably 3-4 used more consistantly over time than others) and TERA has the character utilize about as many at any one time. The humam brain can only handle so much. If you are concetrating on jumping around you are naturally using a lower number of skill-sets. Other games that pile on the skills but limit character movement require the player to manage more skills over a period of time.

I personally just don't like the spastic jumping playstyle. I prefer a more realistic tone to my MMO's where the character is a little less mobile but has a larger, and more diverse, number of skills to draw from.

In all honestly, DDO did it the best. The characters were mobile but had a lot of tools (not necessarily skills but "options" I will say). Even with a high acrobatics skill you were pretty mobile, but not insanely so. I still consider DDO combat to have nailed it the best. TERA is just the epitomy of everything that is extreme about action-RPGs.

Played: UO, DAoC, Shadowbane, DDO, LOTRO, Aion, Rift, TERA
    Sampled: WoW, AoC, GW2, Vanguard, FF XIV, Neverwinter
    Playing: ESO

• bingbongbrosbingbongbros Member UncommonPosts: 689
    Originally posted by Latronus

There have been games that allowed it but I hav never agreed with casters being ale to move and cast.  Call me old fashion, but casting a spell of any kind should require a phrase and/or gestures to be performed perfectly and that would require total concentration.  If you are moving you are not fully concentrating on casting the spell.  That's all my opinion though.

But, we are talking about "games" here and to each there own.  If the OP wants a game where he can run and cast, then have fun playing that game.  We don't all like the same things after all.

Gandalf can run and cast spells and he is a wizard!

Playing: Smite, Marvel Heroes
    Played: Nexus:Kingdom of the Winds, Everquest, DAoC, Everquest 2, WoW, Matrix Online, Vangaurd, SWG, DDO, EVE, Fallen Earth, LoTRo, CoX, Champions Online, WAR, Darkfall, Mortal Online, Guild Wars, Rift, Tera, Aion, AoC, Gods and Heroes, DCUO, FF14, TSW, SWTOR, GW2, Wildstar, ESO, ArcheAge
    Waiting On: Nothing. Mmorpg's are dead.

• KostKost Member CommonPosts: 1,975
    Originally posted by evilastro

Also Rogues bunnyhopping around would look terrible (like WoW rogues in arenas).

Try watching some high end play instead of scrub comps with 1200 rating.

Good rogues don't bunny hop in competitive arena.

• EsLafielEsLafiel Member Posts: 92

I dont like 100% root at all.

Example of what I like is,

a powerful spell root you, a medium spell slows you and a weak spell dont hurt your movement at all.

If it a guy with a bow then, normal shots dont hurt your movement, but likes marskmen shots where ya hit certain points to do high damage stops your movement.

These are just examples of the way I like it.

Plus I was so hoping NW would be a game for me, well one down. 

still looking forward to elder scrolls,

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

There have been games that allowed it but I hav never agreed with casters being ale to move and cast.  Call me old fashion, but casting a spell of any kind should require a phrase and/or gestures to be performed perfectly and that would require total concentration.  If you are moving you are not fully concentrating on casting the spell.  That's all my opinion though.

But, we are talking about "games" here and to each there own.  If the OP wants a game where he can run and cast, then have fun playing that game.  We don't all like the same things after all.

Movement during casting of arcane spells should be limited, it is part of the lore just like casting spells in melee combat is risky (attacks of opportunity). Divine spells are usually less restricted but also should be less offensive.

In D&D this is a balance thing, arcane spells hurt a lot more than anything else but wizards are very easy to kill (and everyone go for them first).

I think Cryptic have made a misstake here though, D&Ds ruleset is not a great base for action MMO combat and they actually nerfed movement here so it is even worse than in D&D.

I think they should have gone a bit closer to GW2 and TERA, or they should have kept the D&D rules a bit closer to the P&P mechanics.

It is still something you get used to but it will feel a bit slow and clumsy to Tera and GW2 players in the beginning and it might turn many off. NWNs strenght is the foundary, not really the combat mechanics.

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    Originally posted by Loke666

Movement during casting of arcane spells should be limited, it is part of the lore just like casting spells in melee combat is risky (attacks of opportunity). Divine spells are usually less restricted but also should be less offensive.

In D&D this is a balance thing, arcane spells hurt a lot more than anything else but wizards are very easy to kill (and everyone go for them first).

I think Cryptic have made a misstake here though, D&Ds ruleset is not a great base for action MMO combat and they actually nerfed movement here so it is even worse than in D&D.

I think they should have gone a bit closer to GW2 and TERA, or they should have kept the D&D rules a bit closer to the P&P mechanics.

It is still something you get used to but it will feel a bit slow and clumsy to Tera and GW2 players in the beginning and it might turn many off. NWNs strenght is the foundary, not really the combat mechanics.

Think they did an okay job at translating the dnd pnp 4e rules to a more actionbased system. And combat is still fun espescially in PvE because of the very good mob ai.  For Pvp however themovement  restrictions and rooting of all classes even mellee classes works strange and unnatural, removing a lot of the promissed action based fun. They really missed the nail with their hammer here.

And about movement while casting, i still think vanguard hit the nail right on the head, it was just the perfect....

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    Originally posted by Reizla

TERA cancels in most cases though... Vanguard was mentioned as well and that's true. Aside from these 4 (still counting TERA though) not many other MMORPGs allow movement & casting, so OP indeed is wrong...

...though I'd have liked it if it was added to Neverwinter...

The OP is not wrong.

In almost all MMOs instant cast spells and abilities allow free movement while using them.. this is true for WoW, Rift, Aion... the list is VERY long.

If a spell has a cast time or is channeled then, sure, root us by all means. But if it's instant cast, rooting is rediculous.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    Originally posted by Vannor

TERA cancels in most cases though... Vanguard was mentioned as well and that's true. Aside from these 4 (still counting TERA though) not many other MMORPGs allow movement & casting, so OP indeed is wrong...

The OP is not wrong.

In almost all MMOs instant cast spells and abilities allow free movement while using them.. this is true for WoW, Rift, Aion... the list is VERY long.

If a spell has a cast time or is channeled then, sure, root us by all means. But if it's instant cast, rooting is rediculous.

Except that there are no instant cast skills in Neverwinter. They are all either cast time or channeled. The melee attacks are a channeled frontal AE. So by your logic, it makes sense.

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    Originally posted by evilastro
    Originally posted by Vannor

The OP is not wrong.

Except that there are no instant cast skills in Neverwinter. They are all either cast time or channeled. The melee attacks are a channeled frontal AE. So by your logic, it makes sense.

Ok then... I change my complaint to "This game is ruined by having no instant cast skills or spells". The result is the same.

BTW, I don't class a melee swing animation as a "cast time".

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • RandaynRandayn Member UncommonPosts: 904
    To each there own....I actually like the combat in NW better than any game ive played so far, other than AOC, but Im sure others won't.