Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Game with complex skill system

SneekysniperSneekysniper Member UncommonPosts: 3

My first and favorite mmo was Anarchy Online. The skill system was so complex and there were so many complex aspects that made the game entierly unique to the genre of mmos.

"Twinking" was not as simple as getting to a certain level and rightcliking a piece of gear that you farmed with the level req on it. It was a process that took many items and involved a lot of math and planning ahead to achieve your desired setup. 

So I'm asking is there another MMO with an indepth complex skill system where you are able to have full control of a character's stats to the degree of Anarchy Online or something similarly complex. 

Comments

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

Is that really complex or early guess work?

FFXI has still to this day the best character cl;ass design,Sub class system allows you to play every single class on the same player and still get half of your sub class level as well.It does two things,gives you incredible versatility,access to everything on the same player without needless hours on alts and of course the gear can be used over and over.The halved sub class also keeps the design in check,so as to not break the game and still keeping your main class as the msot important role,which it should be.

Other hybrid systems which try to do it as good are from doing it good,they either just make you a jack of all trades or give you some weak point/tree system that really accomplishes nothing.Point systems try to mislead you into thinking you get something grand through your own selection of point plcement.What those designs do is actually allow you to make a weaker player than what the game is designed for.

Honestly FFXI does pretty much everything all the optehr games do except one,STEALTH,but since there is no pvp to speak of,no need for it.It does of course utilize invisible which is the same thing but again carries more depth because it relates to creature variables,some can't see you but some can hear you or smell you or sense that you are injured.

Also your skills are based on how much you use them,so if you go off speed leveling to 99 and did not keep your weapon skills up,you will be a VERY weak player.This also goes for your other aqbilities as the complex system has skills for everything you do.Example healing skills,elemental skills,enhancing skills,enfeebling skills,avoidance skills which also use yoru agility as well,accuracy rated with DEX,it goes on and on.

I actually don't liek to use the term complex,becuase nothing is really complex,i prefer the term DEPTH and MOST games do not put that kind of effort into their game.The term "Cookie Cutter" covers a vast array of game ideas and that is exactly what msot devs are doing,simple cookie cutter builds.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• FusionFusion Member UncommonPosts: 1,398
    I'd say, go with TSW
    http://neocron-game.com/ - now totally F2P no cash-shops or micro transactions at all.
  • rawfoxrawfox Member UncommonPosts: 788

@OP

There is none nearby.

AO is pretty unique when it comes to twinking, skilling, trickle down and buffing / buffitems ^^

In fact, it cant be written by human. The game core is from a crashed spaceship of unknown origin.

All we can hope is ... soon™.

• SneekysniperSneekysniper Member UncommonPosts: 3

I'll have to take a look at FFXI but no PvP is kind of a bummer to me. I've played a good amount of the FF non-online games and I love how their character customisation  worked.

I have yet to play TSW I guess I should give it a try since its F2P. Although the environments look very dull and the combat looks clunky ://  Guild Wars 1 held my attention for a while but it was still too simple for me. The nice thing about GW1 was the abundant number of setups and insane amount of skills you could use which allowed players to be creative unlike GW2 -.-, where you get a small number of skills to choose from. 

I just feel like after playing AO for about 4+ years its been hard for me to find an mmo to hold my attention cause everything afterwards that I played was mostly cookiecutter which would only hold my attention for a week or so. I wish FC would announce AO2 but I don't think that is going to be in the future. AO right now is a dying universe and FC is just milking that cow dry due to the loyal players that are too blind to see that the game will never be rebalanced and the engine won't be released anytime soon, or perhaps they still enjoy it. I would go back to AO but the lack of player base is a major problem for a lot of the instances you need "x" proffession, and it may take hours to form a group for a small amount of players with the same common interest.

Nonetheless, thanks for the suggestions I'll take a look at TSW and FFXI. I'm open to more suggestions although I doubt they'll be anymore :) 

• silkwormsilkworm Member Posts: 163
    Nothing comes close to Anarchy Online... 
  • MikeJezZMikeJezZ Member UncommonPosts: 1,267

TSW does not have a complex skill system.

Not if compared to Eve Online

• BenediktBenedikt Member UncommonPosts: 1,406

i would go and try some other old games if i were you - e.g. ryzom or istaria

edit: or asheron call 2

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Eve
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,739
    Originally posted by MikeJezZ

TSW does not have a complex skill system.

Not if compared to Eve Online

TSW was not complex at all....It was more annoying than anything.