Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

If this doesnt fund it wont be the communities fault

snapfusionsnapfusion Member Posts: 954

It will be the Camelot Unchained teams fault for not doing enough tangible work before asking for money and instead just tossing out their "ideas" and asking for cash. and allot of it.

You dont raise 2mil from Joe lunch box gamer with some ideas tossed up on a website and some interviews.  For that kind of cash they needed to have rolled up their sleeves and created a real working playable model of their dream game.  Chris Roberts for example did it right and he raised like what 5mil?

I'm sorry, you cant blame us the gamers or the industry on this one as I see people doing.  I still hope though that somehow at the last minute they pull it off, but if they dont its all on them.

Comments

• EdanyEdany Member UncommonPosts: 179
    Yes... because this carcass of a horse needed its own thread to kick on. Mmhmm...
  • augustgraceaugustgrace Member UncommonPosts: 628
    MJ has said that if the KS was close they would give it another go.  I think people have shown there is interest, but at the same time have made it painfully clear that he needs to have a lot more to show.  They'll probably put a couple months work in (assuming it fails), then come back with a better thought out KS.
  • stragen001stragen001 Member UncommonPosts: 1,720
    Originally posted by augustgrace

MJ has said that if the KS was close they would give it another go.  I think people have shown there is interest, but at the same time have made it painfully clear that he needs to have a lot more to show.  They'll probably put a couple months work in (assuming it fails), then come back with a better thought out KS.

What he SHOULD do, is put his own money where his mouth is and spend a year getting a working pre-alpha together, THEN ask for other people's money.

Cluck Cluck, Gibber Gibber, My Old Mans A Mushroom

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by stragen001

What he SHOULD do, is put his own money where his mouth is and spend a year getting a working pre-alpha together, THEN ask for other people's money.

why should he if there isn't enough interest in the first place? when you make a niche game for a small crowd you still need to make sure the crowd is big enough to support the type of game you are making.. this isn't a single player game he needs a decent amount of dedicated players for the game to work.. if the interest isn't there the game isn't really worth investing into, which is one of the main points of this KS.. 2 million maybe was a bit high i would of shot for 1.5 million but I still think it will hit its mark on the last two days

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440

This.  I don't think the project is a bad idea at all.  In fact, I hope it succeeds, but I know I wouldn't want to be the one to risk disappointing an entire niche, especially this one.  I hear every hardcore PvP'er keeps a pair of brass knuckles in their closet..... just in case.

Also, what Aerowyn said.  He chose the smallest niche of one of the smallest gaming genres and then asked for more money than most KS projects.  I don't know what he was thinking there.

• SaunZSaunZ Member UncommonPosts: 472

I just tried to put the last 500k on my credit card but it wouldn't go through?

good luck to them... they are in my prayers.

Sz

:o)

• skyexileskyexile Member CommonPosts: 692

Yea i think I would have waited atleast another month, like they have good footage now to make a real nice demo, and unless people are real keen on the game they wont be watching every single video on it, that first video is the one that grabs them, im glad they're remaking it. I dont think the Star citizen video was all the flash, but in the crytek engine its flashy enough to grab people and easy enough to make with minimal effort on robets part.

with the engine and netcode been up and working now, some models, the building system underway(show us a keep!) it might be enough to show people that this game is alittle more than just ideas on paper.

SKYeXile
    TRF - GM - GW2, PS2, WAR, AION, Rift, WoW, WOT....etc...
    Future Crew - High Council. Planetside 1 & 2.

• DocBrodyDocBrody Member UncommonPosts: 1,926
    Originally posted by snapfusion

Chris Roberts for example did it right and he raised like what 5mil?

close to 9 million last time I checked

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by DocBrody

Chris Roberts for example did it right and he raised like what 5mil?

close to 9 million last time I checked

not from KS but total... but he also has a game made for a huge audience.. you got PVE, PVP, online, offline, no sub.. he made 2.1 million on KS... the fact this game has made 1.5 million before the final two day push is impressive for such a niche game

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• CKPlayGameCKPlayGame Member UncommonPosts: 33

this

I think the over-persuasive fanbois also contributed to the KS failture........

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

So wait, he should spend a bunch of money on something he would have no idea whether or not it will sell? I don't think it's hard to understand where you're coming from here, but think about this for a second, it's much more effective finacially to do it the way many do KS'.  Put the idea out there, in turn see how much interest there is for such a product.  Until it funds it costs no one anything. If it doesn't fund (gain enough interest), no one loses a thing.

Any other risk (post funding) would exist regardless of a working prototype.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• xion12121xion12121 Member UncommonPosts: 199

It will be the Camelot Unchained teams fault for not doing enough tangible work before asking for money and instead just tossing out their "ideas" and asking for cash. and allot of it.

You dont raise 2mil from Joe lunch box gamer with some ideas tossed up on a website and some interviews.  For that kind of cash they needed to have rolled up their sleeves and created a real working playable model of their dream game.  Chris Roberts for example did it right and he raised like what 5mil?

I'm sorry, you cant blame us the gamers or the industry on this one as I see people doing.  I still hope though that somehow at the last minute they pull it off, but if they dont its all on them.

That's what I have been saying all along. To ask for money people needed to see more than just ideas on paper and podcasts. 

Side note" I remember watching podcasts for Warhammer online talking about how questing was gonna be different, gameplay etc. in the end the product didn't live up to its expectations. I would like for CU team to add more depth to ask for that much money.

I would give you a guest pass to SWOTR, but then I wouldn't be able to find a way to live with myself afterwards....

• VarossVaross Moderator UncommonPosts: 11,414
    Please keep kickstarter discussion the Kickstarter thread.
    To give feedback on moderation, please contact [email protected]
This discussion has been closed.