Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Not a MOBA, and Not an MMO

BearKnightBearKnight Member CommonPosts: 461

I wanted to ask why people were confusing this game for an MMO or a MOBA? They very clearly state it is based around the idea of the Diablo franchise (ie: an Action RPG with Marvel Heroes with a storyline, just like Diablo 1 & 2).

Also, it isn't an MMO because then you'd have to call Diablo 1 & 2 MMOs which they weren't.

Are people really accepting this as an MMO :(? I'm not sure how I feel about the abuse of the word MMO when it clearly isn't one.

Just my two cents, I don't want people going in thinking this is a MOBA or MMO and being disappointed :).

Comments

• McPickleMcPickle Member Posts: 39
    I haven't heard this at all. It's an APRG and I'm pretty sure its being advertised as such.
  • BearKnightBearKnight Member CommonPosts: 461
    Originally posted by McPickle
    I haven't heard this at all. It's an APRG and I'm pretty sure its being advertised as such.

Google searching shows tons of people announcing it as a MOBA from Marvel, and then they themselves are claiming it is an MMO which anyone who has played an MMO would know it isn't one.

I was just wondering if people had that misconception here :)~

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775
    Originally posted by BearKnight

Google searching shows tons of people announcing it as a MOBA from Marvel, and then they themselves are claiming it is an MMO which anyone who has played an MMO would know it isn't one.

I haven't seen or heard this either. Everyone that has said anything about it has said it was an arpg. Maybe you are confusing the DC Moba with Marvel Heroes?

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424
    It's a Massively Multiplayer Online Lobby RPG :)  Then again, almost all MMOs since WoW have been that lol
  • BaltoBroBaltoBro Member Posts: 48

only thing left is calling this a sandbox just because it sounds *cool*

• McPickleMcPickle Member Posts: 39
    Originally posted by GrayGhost79

I haven't seen or heard this either. Everyone that has said anything about it has said it was an arpg. Maybe you are confusing the DC Moba with Marvel Heroes?

I was thinking Infinity Crisis as well. Anyways this is what is says here:

https://marvelheroes.com/about/game-info

Game Overview

Marvel Heroes is a FREE-TO-PLAY action-packed massively multiplayer online game created by David Brevik, the visionary behind Diablo and Diablo 2. Set in the iconic Marvel Universe, Marvel Heroes combines the core game-play style of Action RPGs and MMOs with the expansive library of heroes from the Marvel Universe. In the game, players can collect and play as their favorite Marvel Superheroes (including Iron Man, Thor, Wolverine, Hulk, Spider Man, Captain America and many others). Team up with friends and try to stop Doctor Doom from devastating the world with the power of the Cosmic Cube in a story written by Marvel comic super-scribe Brian Michael Bendis.

I dont think this is a mmo by, well, my defintion, but that line has been scewed for a while.

• DrakynnDrakynn Member Posts: 2,030
    Originally posted by BaltoBro

only thing left is calling this a sandbox just because it sounds *cool*

OooOOoo ME ME!!!!

It's a lot more sandbox than the Elder Scrolls single player games that a lot of folks here cite as sandbox!

*Dives for cover*

• NyrrhoNyrrho Member Posts: 53
    It's basically a bad online interpretation of Marvel Ultimate Alliance.
  • RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452
    Another game diluting the appeal of MMORPG.com
  • onlinenow25onlinenow25 Member UncommonPosts: 305

Its MMO in the sense that there are 'open' areas where multiple players can be at one time.  Not sure if there is a limit to the number of players in these open zones but they are open.  

The definition of MMO has changed, and Marvel Heros fits that change.

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775
    Originally posted by GrayGhost79

I was thinking Infinity Crisis as well. Anyways this is what is says here:

https://marvelheroes.com/about/game-info

Game Overview

Marvel Heroes is a FREE-TO-PLAY action-packed massively multiplayer online game created by David Brevik, the visionary behind Diablo and Diablo 2. Set in the iconic Marvel Universe, Marvel Heroes combines the core game-play style of Action RPGs and MMOs with the expansive library of heroes from the Marvel Universe. In the game, players can collect and play as their favorite Marvel Superheroes (including Iron Man, Thor, Wolverine, Hulk, Spider Man, Captain America and many others). Team up with friends and try to stop Doctor Doom from devastating the world with the power of the Cosmic Cube in a story written by Marvel comic super-scribe Brian Michael Bendis.

I dont think this is a mmo by, well, my defintion, but that line has been scewed for a while.

I know they're dubbing it an MMO lol, I just hadn't heard of anyone touting it as a moba. I agree with you though, it doesn't meet my criteria for an MMO either. 

• BearKnightBearKnight Member CommonPosts: 461
    It's NOT an MMO though. It is a Diablo Action RPG. You can't call that an MMO, it isn't one :).
  • kiernkiern Member UncommonPosts: 428
    It's NOT an MMO though. It is a Diablo Action RPG. You can't call that an MMO, it isn't one :).

The term "MMO" has nothing to do with the style of the gameplay. MMO = Massive Multiplayer Online. That simply means that tons of players are all online playing together. The diablo games are not MMO. They are just multiplayer games.

MH is, however, definitely not an MMORPG. I wouldn't even call it an ARPG, as there is little RPG to it at all, less than the Diablo games. It is just an action game. 

I'm not sure why developers think that they need to make everything MMO these days. There is no need for it, and in this case, I thinkk it takes away from the game.

• SabasSabas Member UncommonPosts: 217

Rather funny,

last night I actually tried the game.

2 clicks to create a character,

10 minutes of cutscenes who weren't all that great.

15 minutes later I am done with the tutorial level and I spawn in a room filled with several daredevils , storms, thing's.

Right then and there I just turned of the game.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Who cares what it is called? The only thing i care is whether it is a fun game.
  • xknyghtxknyght Member Posts: 6
    It's a fun game.
  • kiernkiern Member UncommonPosts: 428
    Originally posted by Pandamin

Rather funny,

last night I actually tried the game.

2 clicks to create a character,

10 minutes of cutscenes who weren't all that great.

15 minutes later I am done with the tutorial level and I spawn in a room filled with several daredevils , storms, thing's.

Right then and there I just turned of the game.

Yeah, if little things like that bother you so much that you won't even play it, this isn't the game for you. This is an action game, not a RPG where you are playing a unique character. If, on the other hand, you enjoy playing games like Diablo, without being turned off by the fact that there are a bunch of other characters that are similar to you, you might want to give it a try.

Originally posted by nariusseldon
    Who cares what it is called? The only thing i care is whether it is a fun game.

Yes, it is fun.  I will say that, how much you enjoy it may depend on the character you play.  I have no doubt that some people will enjoy playing any or all of the characters. Others, like myself, only enjoy characters that fit my play style. Unfortunately, it is hard to say which ones will, and will not until you try them.  I did not enjoy my starting character, but others I really enjoyed.

Originally posted by kiern

Yes, it is fun.  I will say that, how much you enjoy it may depend on the character you play.  I have no doubt that some people will enjoy playing any or all of the characters. Others, like myself, only enjoy characters that fit my play style. Unfortunately, it is hard to say which ones will, and will not until you try them.  I did not enjoy my starting character, but others I really enjoyed.

That is one of the issue. There is no try-out of characters. You have to choose one at the start, and stick with it. While you can earn heroes, it takes a while.

I wish they have some kind of trial function (give every hero a 30 min try-out?).

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

i havent played it and wont play it but ill say this. If its just a coop thing then its not an mmo. If its a massively multiplayer game in a persistent world then its an mmo. As far as i know its an action rpg like diablo with multiplayer loby like vindictus. If that is the case then it is not an mmo.

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    Originally posted by rojo6934

i havent played it and wont play it but ill say this. If its just a coop thing then its not an mmo. If its a massively multiplayer game in a persistent world then its an mmo. As far as i know its an action rpg like diablo with multiplayer loby like vindictus. If that is the case then it is not an mmo.

That is exactly what it is.  Its a Diablo, Torchlight, Path of Exile clone.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• rawwraww Member UncommonPosts: 27
    Originally posted by Gravarg
    It's a Massively Multiplayer Online Lobby RPG :)  Then again, almost all MMOs since WoW have been that lol

This.  Therefore the game is an MMO.

Moo

• freegamesfreegames Member UncommonPosts: 240

An mmo is a multiplayer video game which is capable of supporting large numbers of players simultaneously.

Some games that are online with only 4 players at the same still call themselves mmos. . Technically it has to be a persistent world with many players, but as you know many games just billed themselves as mmos and many just call starting all online multiplayer games and the like as mmos.

Online Action Role Playing Games might be the correct term, but really the most important thing is whether the game is worth playing or not. History has shown us that it will probably not be that great, but at least average to above average vs the thousands of other F2P games out there.

Originally posted by azzamasin

We are still at this?

Does it matter? If it is fun, great. If not, skip. Whether it is a mmo, or a online ARPG is pretty much irrelevant.

• CecropiaCecropia Member RarePosts: 3,985

We are still at this?

Does it matter? If it is fun, great. If not, skip. Whether it is a mmo, or a online ARPG is pretty much irrelevant.

Get used to it, homie. The is a website called M M O R P G .com. You may not give two shits about genres, but clearly some of us do as this site known as M M O R P G .com is quite popular. If it bothers you to such a degree, find another website that covers a broader spectrum of video games. Yeah they do a bit here and there on out of genre titles that may interest those who us who are into M M O R P Gs, but ultimately this is a site that deals with M M O R P Gs.

"Mr. Rothstein, your people never will understand... the way it works out here. You're all just our guests. But you act like you're at home. Let me tell you something, partner. You ain't home. But that's where we're gonna send you if it harelips the governor." - Pat Webb

Originally posted by Cecropia

We are still at this?

Get used to it, homie. The is a website called M M O R P G .com. You may not give two shits about genres, but clearly some of us do as this site known as M M O R P G .com is quite popular. If it bothers you to such a degree, find another website that covers a broader spectrum of video games. Yeah they do a bit here and there on out of genre titles that may interest those who us who are into M M O R P Gs, but ultimately this is a site that deals with M M O R P Gs.

Really? I saw D3, LoL, WoT and quite a few non-MMO supported here with their own forums.

Plus, you think everyone here just play "true" MMORPGs?