Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Getting REALLY good account phishing emails for GW2

VicodinTacoVicodinTaco Member UncommonPosts: 804

I'm used to seeing e-mails aimed to get my account info for WoW etc.

Usually they are poorly written and can be seen from a mile away, but a couple I've gotten for GW2 the last couple days are spot on.  One almost fooled me into clicking the link even.  The http address looks pretty legit and then they even include real arenanet addresses in the mix.

How did they get my e-mail anyways?  A lot of people are going to be fooled by this one.

Comments

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317
    I've recieved some as well, but they are auto spamfiltered now.  They have to be very well done to decieve a GW2 player.

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

• AmazingAveryAmazingAvery Age of Conan AdvocateMember UncommonPosts: 7,188

I must be getting about 10-12 a day on average now. Half filter into my spam the other half in main inbox.

Some come with no subject others saying 'account questionnaire' or 'Account Security Alert: Arenanet'.

• erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022

I recieved 5 of these in the past 2 days.  The clear giveaway was instead of adressing you by you account name,  the start like this

Dear User

Dear Player

Dear administrator

I seen a couple of others.  I pulled up the email source and they even spoofed the return email to look exactly like guildwars 2.  However if you look the only mispelling is on the actually web site that you can click on and it is a dead givaway.  

I run them though spamcop 3 of them came from china 2 from korea. 

The only dead giveaway was they sent it to my junk email that I use for this site,  no were even connect for any of my games lol. So yes fishing at it's best. 

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    I got one in an email account that isn't even connected to GW2, but I noticed it was very well done too.  Bravo and shame on you.
  • M1sf1tM1sf1t Member UncommonPosts: 1,583

I follow a simple rule. No matter what a email says I use my browser to actually go to the site itself by typing it in myself rather than clicking on a email line. So if I need to visit the GW2 site I use my own links or just type it in myself. So if you practice of the rule of never clicking on email links you should be okay 99% of the time.

Games I've played/tried out:WAR, LOTRO, Tabula Rasa, AoC, EQ1, EQ2, WoW, Vangaurd, FFXI, D&DO, Lineage 2, Saga Of Ryzom, EvE Online, DAoC, Guild Wars,Star Wars Galaxies, Hell Gate London, Auto Assault, Grando Espada ( AKA SoTNW ), Archlord, CoV/H, Star Trek Online, APB, Champions Online, FFXIV, Rift Online, GW2.

Game(s) I Am Currently Playing:

GW2 (+LoL and BF3)

• NaqajNaqaj Member UncommonPosts: 1,673
    Originally posted by VicodinTaco

How did they get my e-mail anyways? 

The most common way is by hacking/stealing community site databases. That's why more and more often you're recommended to use a new email address that is only used for your game account(s) and never used elsewhere on the net.

It seems to work, as I've yet to get any GW2 related spam/fishing on that address, but I still recieve plenty about WoW/Diablo/SC, since back then I used my common address to register with battle net.

• ScalplessScalpless Member UncommonPosts: 1,426

Many of them seem to use normal spam lists. I got WoW phishing e-mails even before I created a BattleNet account. If you have GW2, good for them. If you don't, it's not like they lost anything.

• semantikronsemantikron Member Posts: 258
    Originally posted by Naqaj

The most common way is by hacking/stealing community site databases. That's why more and more often you're recommended to use a new email address that is only used for your game account(s) and never used elsewhere on the net....

free advice to everyone:  Read and understand this response from Naqaj.  If you are receiving phishing emails on the account you use for logging into GW2, your account is in danger.  You NEED to create a new email account and associate that with your ArenaNet account.  Look on the forums for detailed instructions.

Charr: Outta my way.
    Human: What's your problem?
    Charr: Your thin skin.