Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ads, of course.

2»

Comments

• TofkeTofke Member UncommonPosts: 342
    Originally posted by eyelolled
    I am actually gaining a lot of respect for mmorpg.com for not removing the ads.    I'm so sick an tired of people trying to push their own morality on others. 

It is not my morality... Think of this in public spaces and the workfloor or people with small children. I don't care about nudity,but

I do care when Mmorpg.com plea to us and in essence whine on our use of adblock, assuring us they have some sense in the ads they show us. I probably would have less of an annoyance if it wouldn't occur so much but like their first campaign 80% of my browsing I get their advertisement.

So I whine on the fact that by their own doing I am blocking the ads again and most people will so it is not in their interest. It is their loss.

• LostHawkLostHawk Member UncommonPosts: 56

-someone gave the same AdBlock hint already - For the filter: better put "2013*" at the end

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

Originally posted by eyelolled
    I am actually gaining a lot of respect for mmorpg.com for not removing the ads.    I'm so sick an tired of people trying to push their own morality on others. 
    Because *your* morality of acceptance is best for everyone? No matter which way the wind blows, someone's morality is taking precedence over someone else's.

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• mymmomymmo Member UncommonPosts: 311
    Originally posted by DamonVile
    Originally posted by asmkm22
    Originally posted by Four0Six

I say it in ALL the thread I see like this.:

DONT LIKE IT, DONT LOG IN. Stop telling others what to do.

Much easier just to block the ads and be done with it.  Of course, that doesn't actually help the website much, so I prefer door number 3:  constructive criticism with possible solutions.

But it's only your opinion the Ads are inappropriate. In my opinion they're for a game so they're fine. Why are you( and those who agree with you )  right and the site should change and the rest of us wrong ?

its sexism. thats the issue. but not according to the likes of you. but ask yourself. why is that games are only played by the male popoulation? the simple answers lies there in the ads. games are for male and with that half of the population are left out. sad enought. but this is a thing that you wont acknowledge, you will insteed blurr about free choice and so on. sadly 

Eve online and +1500 steam games in the back cataloge makes me a stressed out gamer.
  • Very_bad_dreamsVery_bad_dreams Member Posts: 10
    Originally posted by mymmo

Much easier just to block the ads and be done with it.  Of course, that doesn't actually help the website much, so I prefer door number 3:  constructive criticism with possible solutions.

But it's only your opinion the Ads are inappropriate. In my opinion they're for a game so they're fine. Why are you( and those who agree with you )  right and the site should change and the rest of us wrong ?

its sexism. thats the issue. but not according to the likes of you. but ask yourself. why is that games are only played by the male popoulation? the simple answers lies there in the ads. games are for male and with that half of the population are left out. sad enought. but this is a thing that you wont acknowledge, you will insteed blurr about free choice and so on. sadly 

Only played by males? And you have this data how?

Originally posted by Very_bad_dreams

Yeah. only male players! sorry, its a grammar fault from my side. english is a third word for me. 

I would have written Why is that gamers are mosly from the male population? And yes, the data is there. Look at who are the typical steam player, who are the typical game developer, who are in the retail store buying games? To argue that gameing is not a male dominated topic is not even important. Its more important to make the devs understand that ads like the one we are discussing  are making the public smaller mainly because its just applying to small male kids. If they would nt use this kind of ads gaming would be more flourishing because then the female popoulation would take a liking in this.  

Eve online and +1500 steam games in the back cataloge makes me a stressed out gamer.
  • H0urg1assH0urg1ass Member EpicPosts: 2,380
    Well thought out, intelligent and convincing post followed by a steady stream of window licking assclowns.  Yep, I'm still on MMORPG.com.
  • AvatarBladeAvatarBlade Member UncommonPosts: 757
    Originally posted by Very_bad_dreams

Yeah. only male players! sorry, its a grammar fault from my side. english is a third word for me. 

I would have written Why is that gamers are mosly from the male population? And yes, the data is there. Look at who are the typical steam player, who are the typical game developer, who are in the retail store buying games? To argue that gameing is not a male dominated topic is not even important. Its more important to make the devs understand that ads like the one we are discussing  are making the public smaller mainly because its just applying to small male kids. If they would nt use this kind of ads gaming would be more flourishing because then the female popoulation would take a liking in this.  

http://www.marketingcharts.com/interactive/women-comprise-40-of-us-gamers-26-of-whom-are-over-age-50-5327/

This study seems to contradict your point of view.

• H0urg1assH0urg1ass Member EpicPosts: 2,380

... The vast majority of which are playing Candy Crush Saga on their phone or Farmville on facebook.

Has absolutely nothing to do with MMORPG's, and any man who'se played them for a while knows for a fact that women do NOT comprise 40% of the market share of MMO gamers.   If you want to leave the genre sure, but has nothing to do with these ridiculously prepubescent sexist ads on MMORPG.com.

Originally posted by h0urg1ass

... The vast majority of which are playing Candy Crush Saga on their phone or Farmville on facebook.

Has absolutely nothing to do with MMORPG's, and any man who'se played them for a while knows for a fact that women do NOT comprise 40% of the market share of MMO gamers.   If you want to leave the genre sure, but has nothing to do with these ridiculously prepubescent sexist ads on MMORPG.com.

Hey, he said gamers and games, not MMOs. As far as MMOs go, I can attest to the fact that there are female players in this genre too. How many I don't know, but I doubt these games have worse communities than others. Also don't think the ads on MMORPG are what keeps the ones not play, from doing it, also.

Originally posted by AvatarBlade

Hey, he said gamers and games, not MMOs. As far as MMOs go, I can attest to the fact that there are female players in this genre too. How many I don't know, but I doubt these games have worse communities than others. Also don't think the ads on MMORPG are what keeps the ones not play, from doing it, also.

Its just not about this specific ads. Who believe its just about this one sololy? Its a silly straw men argument. Its from this ad, to the art work, to the gamers by themself. 

Game devs are nagging about them having hard times with declinng profit. Well for ones they would maybe try to inlucde not just the male population by letting 12 year old minded art workers do the female clothes. male+female consumers are supposley more profit than just male consumer...

and yeah, a study that says a 1/4 of the gamers are +50 years old. a study that are problaby hard to use mainly because its seems to be built upon attitudes and questions like "do you play electroinc games" and if a person says yes to that questions equals a gamer. also the study points out that games that are not sololy specified to one consumer perspective (think the oppposite of scarlet blade) seems to be played by more ppl. So less sexism, more profite. yes?

Please tell me your opinion about these ads AvatarBlade

We are on a mmorog.com site. So its about mmorpg. 

Its just not about this specific ads. Who believe its just about this one sololy? Its a silly straw men argument. Its from this ad, to the art work, to the gamers by themself. 

Game devs are nagging about them having hard times with declinng profit. Well for ones they would maybe try to inlucde not just the male population by letting 12 year old minded art workers do the female clothes. male+female consumers are supposley more profit than just male consumer...

and yeah, a study that says a 1/4 of the gamers are +50 years old. a study that are problaby hard to use mainly because its seems to be built upon attitudes and questions like "do you play electroinc games" and if a person says yes to that questions equals a gamer...

Sorry, but be more specific, because even if this is mainly a MMO site, other genres can and are discussed here, as is gaming in general.

It's not as if all MMOs go for this kind of advertising and let's say "selling point". Most of them don't actually. From recent memory I can only recall Tera, SB and AoC.

Also, the attitude of, oh you don't play core games for at least 4 hours a day, you're not a gamer, is one of the best way to actually keep people that aren't interested yet, from ever being interested in trying more stuff in gaming, in general.

Edit: I knew people over 50 and one person over 60, who were playing WoW, both male and female. Sure it's personal experience, but being over 50 doesn't mean you can't be playing games in general or MMOs in particular.

We are on a mmorog.com site. So its about mmorpg. 

and yeah, a study that says a 1/4 of the gamers are +50 years old. a study that are problaby hard to use mainly because its seems to be built upon attitudes and questions like "do you play electroinc games" and if a person says yes to that questions equals a gamer...

Sorry, but be more specific, because even if this is mainly a MMO site, other genres can and are discussed here, as is gaming in general.

It's not as if all MMOs go for this kind of advertising and let's say "selling point". Most of them don't actually. From recent memory I can only recall Tera, SB and AoC.

Also, the attitude of, oh you don't play core games for at least 4 hours a day, you're not a gamer, is one of the best way to actually keep people that aren't interested yet, from ever being interested in trying more stuff in gaming, in general.

Edit: I knew people over 50 and one person over 60, who were playing WoW, both male and female. Sure it's personal experience, but being over 50 doesn't mean you can't be playing games in general or MMOs in particular.

and we are discussing about a mmorpg.com ad. oh well. lets be more specific.

your survey points torward that games that are made for a hetreogen public is more scuessful. so a mmorpgc.com ad, like the one we are dicussing, is going backward. Its trying to go for only  the male public with silly slogans such as "preper to get whipped..." and art work taken from a 12 year old fantasty. why are they doing that? why is bluntly sexism a selling point for this game? What is their take? 

The survey you are pointing toward is an attitiude servey. its about what a person believe it does for a week. A gamer that is playing for 40 hours a week maybe believe that the gaming time is less than that or a person that plays for 1 hour a week believes its more than that.  What you say you are doing dosent need to reflect what you actually do :) I did never want to say that its about beeing a "true" gamer or not. sorry if I wrote it like that, im not so good with english. 

And I know gamers that are girls, boys, old, young, handicaped and so on. its not about that. Its about that this ad is focused on one narrow consumer perspective. And with that comes some negative aspects, one is that half of the population is more ore less left out. another negative aspect is that its aimed for a male gaze that is so stupid. are we supposed to see the ads and think "bobs! f-sweet! i want boobs. givmegivme. i need to play it naaaow!". Its an ad that are assuming that its main public is thinking like a babon. And for sure, someone will come into this thread and say something catchy as "f- yeah! i freaking love this kind of ads. i dont want to live with out them. moar!" 

• Whiskey_SamWhiskey_Sam Member UncommonPosts: 323
    I turned on adblock and never looked back.  The benefits of not having the screen cluttered with ads far outweigh the loss of not seeing ads I never cared about in the first place.

• Ramonski7Ramonski7 Member UncommonPosts: 2,662

Ok I will try to respond to this topic nicely. I don't want to get warned again for losing my patience about this topic for the upteenth time. First of all the very idea of compromising in the face of pressure of those that have a choice of avoiding this website during inappropriate times is irritating. Whether that be at work, around you kids or at a funeral. You always have a choice and ultimately it's your choice to make. But sometimes choices that you take for granted are not as easily adpated.

For instance, I've been coming here for a long, long time and the only time I ever blocked anything was when they had ads about some pseudo-mmo with political overtones. I was offended because mmorpg.com has always had a hard stance against injecting real world politcs into mmo discussions and I knew it was a cheap ploy by the ad makers just to drum up business. I quickly blocked those ads and continued to visit the site with maybe one post about the ad. Then shortly after they had their anti-adkiller campaign. I guess more people than they anticipated hated that ad (but weren't as vocal about it either) and they notice a rather large uptick in adkiller usage. Then the big red banner pleading for people to stop using adkiller were used. I believe it was clearly because they didn't have very many choices to deal with the situation of adpating a new stance. Whether that be writing new policies, a new ad script or a new revenue model. Whatever the case they were actively working on a new way to deal with those issues. I also know alot of people complained about the way they "bullied" users to dump the use of adkiller aps and those users where just waiting for a chance to turn the tables on that bitter chapter.

And now we have the great Scarlet Blade ad campaign protest. But the thing is you have to carefully pick your battles in order to actually win them. To rally behind ads that clearly have nothing to do with mmorpgs and clearly against their own polices here at mmorpg.com is one thing (even a quite one like the political based one), but to rally against ads that show things that have been part of this culture in one form or another is rather ludicrous and offends more people than you care to imagine. And it's not all about the content of the ads some are defending, but the idea that one group of people can dictiate changes for the many here even where there is no conflicting clash between the site's policies and their actions. Like I said you have to pick your battles wisely and some here are latching on to something that mmorpg gamers have NEVER had a huge issue with to begin with...

"Small minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas."

• pmilespmiles Member Posts: 383

Simple solution, ad-free site for subscribers... ad-filled site for everyone else.

My bet is, 99% will chose the ad-filled site over a subscription.

• IkedaIkeda Member RarePosts: 2,751

I'm tired of people telling me it's wrong that my morals/opinion are less than theirs.  We are equal and enough of us have kicked up a fuss.

It is therefore my CHOICE to use adblock and let them deal with the consequences.

Maybe I'm the dumb one.. I click on banners every once in a while because that's how I know they drum up money to stay around. 

• MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555
    As I stated in another thread, we've already worked with Aeria Games to cover up the ads a bit more. As far as I understand, the ads as they are now will remain.
This discussion has been closed.