Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What RPG would you make into an MMORPG?

Comments

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by Nikopol

I know many of you folks won't dig the idea, but I'd really like to see a properly done, open world...

Diablo MMO.

Yeah, I know, I know, Diablo is all about hack and slash and loot, but I feel any adaptation turns out better if it makes its own decisions and strays a bit from the source material. So my World of Diablo (haha) would be far from the clickfest many know and love. Having a main storyline would be OK (I'd even prefer it that way), but it'd not be a tunnel-run affair, and provide ample other stuff on the side as well. Also, good artwork and solid atmosphere mandatory!

Well, I guess I just like the idea of exotic dark realms as MMO worlds. :)

Other and probably less controversial MMO adaptions I'd like to see:

• Baldur's Gate (or Forgotten Realms online, done as old school RPG - we need to see this sometime!)
    • Planescape: Torment (yeah, pretty much no chance now)
    • Deus Ex (Hey, why not?)
    • Betrayal at Krondor (would the suits even recognize the name?)

I don't know what one will gain making Diablo into a MMO. As it is now, it is already very close to MMO in playstyle. Does it really matter if i see other playres in a city, instead of a lobby? And i highly doubt you want to have a public combat zone in Diablo. It already has small group dungeons .. and making a dungeon 10 people or 20 (i.e. raid) does not really make the dungeon crawl more fun.

Deus Ex? Why not? Because stealth gameplay is not suitable for large groups. I can see an online MP version, but there is no need to make it into a MMO.

Same for BG .. BG is about small group (6!) adventure.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by Wakygreek
    Well that would make things interesting for sure, I wonder if maybe the fact that it has limitless combinations is also its limitation when applied to the current market.

The openness of the system is moderated by the people playing. Things that are overpowered or underpowered are dealt with on the fly and the scenarios and settings are limitless because of the players creating new content on a regular basis. The players also progress through the content in a much slower manner than they would in a digital game.

Those are just the things off the top of my head where I can see issues with taking GURPS and turning it into a game driven by game systems and not player creativity.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• RictisRictis Member UncommonPosts: 1,300
    I kind of wanted Blizzards next MMO to be Diablo. Not sure why they went with "Titan" instead. I guess we just have to wait and see if it was a good call. Hell even Starcraft could have been an amazing MMOFPS.
  • NikopolNikopol Member UncommonPosts: 626
    Originally posted by nariusseldon

I know many of you folks won't dig the idea, but I'd really like to see a properly done, open world...

Diablo MMO.

Yeah, I know, I know, Diablo is all about hack and slash and loot, but I feel any adaptation turns out better if it makes its own decisions and strays a bit from the source material. So my World of Diablo (haha) would be far from the clickfest many know and love. Having a main storyline would be OK (I'd even prefer it that way), but it'd not be a tunnel-run affair, and provide ample other stuff on the side as well. Also, good artwork and solid atmosphere mandatory!

• Baldur's Gate (or Forgotten Realms online, done as old school RPG - we need to see this sometime!)

I don't know what one will gain making Diablo into a MMO. As it is now, it is already very close to MMO in playstyle. Does it really matter if i see other playres in a city, instead of a lobby? And i highly doubt you want to have a public combat zone in Diablo. It already has small group dungeons .. and making a dungeon 10 people or 20 (i.e. raid) does not really make the dungeon crawl more fun.

Deus Ex? Why not? Because stealth gameplay is not suitable for large groups. I can see an online MP version, but there is no need to make it into a MMO.

Yeah, but you're trying to take game mechanics from the originals to the MMO version. Just throw them away. :).

What I'm interested in is the game worlds. Just take the lore, some characters, some back stories and some places from those games and redo the game mechanics from the ground up. Like Wacraft -> World of Warcraft. I'm not interested in the game mechanics of any of the originals as ideas for the MMO.

• DrakynnDrakynn Member Posts: 2,030

Arcanum:Of Steamworks and Magic Obscura

Unique setting and lore,the S.P.E.C.I.A.L levelling system from Fallout what more do you need?Downside the IP rights are probaly lost with a lot fo other IPs in the Sierra Online catalogue legal quagmire.

BTW, thanks to everyone that detailed GURPS. I was aware of the system but I never called it GURPS before. I think giving too many options to players could have bad results. Not all of us are understanding, I could see a lot of people taking advantage of that system and perhaps even creating a never ending balance problem especially if that game had PVP.
  • JaedorJaedor Member UncommonPosts: 1,173

I always wanted Oblivion to be an mmo...

• DeivosDeivos Member EpicPosts: 3,692
    Originally posted by Wakygreek
    BTW, thanks to everyone that detailed GURPS. I was aware of the system but I never called it GURPS before. I think giving too many options to players could have bad results. Not all of us are understanding, I could see a lot of people taking advantage of that system and perhaps even creating a never ending balance problem especially if that game had PVP.

That becomes a matter of how clever you get in making the system balance itself.

I've made mention of it in a different thread, but a mechanic like Asheron's Call where the less frequently a certain option is used the more powerful it is helps to keep people form piling on a single mechanic indefinitely.

In addition to that, the concept of 'templates' where you take the open system and assemble prepackaged class-like builds for people that desire such familiarity is a means to make the game more understandable to those who want a simpler or more common way to approach the game.

There is means to approach both the user friendly issues and balance issues in such games, and it's not really different from the problems that other RPG systems faced, just emphasized bue to the game's more freeform take. But there have been decent solutions used in the past that can apply to the concept here.

"The knowledge of the theory of logic has no tendency whatever to make men good reasoners." - Thomas B. Macaulay

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." - Daniel J. Boorstin

• 3-4thElf3-4thElf Member Posts: 489

Breath of Fire.

I think Capcom could bring a good approach of classic RPG with this new fangled multiplayer online stuff. ;)

a yo ho ho

• H0urg1assH0urg1ass Member EpicPosts: 2,380

Balancing is a lot easier than people/devs make it out to be.  As long as you put realistic boundaries on things then they will balance themselves.

For instance, in GURPS you can be a magic using character that wears Full Plate Armor.  Most games think that this is a bit overpowered so they simply put up an invisible wall on your character and say "No!".

But if they'd simply use that lump three feet above their posterior bits, then they could come up with an INCENTIVE based solution that would make players want to shy away from wearing heavy armor and using magic.  For instance, take each "weight class" of armor and let anyone wear it that wishes.  However, you start putting penalties on armor the heavier it gets. 

You put a fizzle chance for spells on armor, and that fizzle chance gets higher the heavier the armor is because, lets say, all spells have a somatic component to them when cast, and it's not easy to make precise somatic movements in full plate armor.

Then what you have is people looking at what they can use and deciding FOR THEMSELVES(!!) if the tradefoff is worth it.  Well, I can have a lot of defense with that full plate armor, but then there's a good chance that I'll never get a spell off because the fizzle chance is 85%.

With just a tiny bit of brainpower, and real world explanation, you won't even have to balance the game.  It will balance itself out because people will have incentives to make balanced choices instead of being stamped out in a cookie cutter mold to force balance.

• WalterWhiteWalterWhite Member UncommonPosts: 411
    Legacy of Kain. I would have said Mass Effect but after the disaster that was SWTOR, I don't have any faith in Bioware/EA and know they would royally screw it up.
  • scarykids2scarykids2 Member UncommonPosts: 74
    sword art online, end of story.
  • theAsnatheAsna Member UncommonPosts: 324

Let's be honest. A RPG / CRPG / PnP doesn't translate 1:1 to an MMORPG. The lore and part of the game world which have been elaborated in the past will most likely survive the transition. Not so much the game mechanics (despite similarities in skill/feat/class/race names).

Taking an existing RPG / CRPG / PnP will only result in disappointment for some old time fans. Having played MMORPGs for several years you'll mainly only meet the same (or similar) old and proven formula of game mechanics (i.e. quest mechanics, combat hate mechanics).

Originally posted by theAsna

Let's be honest. A RPG / CRPG / PnP doesn't translate 1:1 to an MMORPG. The lore and part of the game world which have been elaborated in the past will most likely survive the transition. Not so much the game mechanics (despite similarities in skill/feat/class/race names).

Taking an existing RPG / CRPG / PnP will only result in disappointment for some old time fans. Having played MMORPGs for several years you'll mainly only meet the same (or similar) old and proven formula of game mechanics (i.e. quest mechanics, combat hate mechanics).

Well yes and no, I think if you are clever enough you could get a pretty close translation, not 1:1 but pretty damn close. The problem is finding a dev team that is capable of not screwing up, which given what kind of MMO's have come out lately is going to be hard to come by.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

Yeah, but you're trying to take game mechanics from the originals to the MMO version. Just throw them away. :).

What I'm interested in is the game worlds. Just take the lore, some characters, some back stories and some places from those games and redo the game mechanics from the ground up. Like Wacraft -> World of Warcraft. I'm not interested in the game mechanics of any of the originals as ideas for the MMO.

The question is what RPG woudl you make into an MMORPG, not what lore. If you are only interested in translating the lore, then the answer is EVERYTHING .. because you can just create a totally new game and slap the lore onto it.

If you want to retain any favor of the original RPG, you have to retain some of the design favor. For example, you have to do some stealth and hacking in Deus Ex .. and in my view ... MMO-ness adds very little to stealth & hacking.

• Shana77Shana77 Member UncommonPosts: 290
    Xenogears
  • akiira69akiira69 Member UncommonPosts: 615
    .Hack\Sign

"Possibly we humans can exist without actually having to fight. But many of us have chosen to fight. For what reason? To protect something? Protect what? Ourselves? The future? If we kill people to protect ourselves and this future, then what sort of future is it, and what will we have become? There is no future for those who have died. And what of those who did the killing? Is happiness to be found in a future that is grasped with blood stained hands? Is that the truth?"

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769

Traveller

Call of Cthulhu

GamaWorld

The Morrow Project

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• Shana77Shana77 Member UncommonPosts: 290

Diablo MMO.

So I'm not the only person who played Betrayal of Krondor! Not my favourite mmo anyways, was a good example of western RPG's strugling to reach the quality of jrpg's at its time (its a different story now).

As for Diablo mmo, in terms of gameplay I would say Neverwinter Online is the closest thing. Certainly not in terms of atmosphere though. In my opinion its a shame Blizzard didn't go in that direction. 

Originally posted by waynejr2

Traveller

Call of Cthulhu

GamaWorld

The Morrow Project

I'd love to have an MMORPG based on H.P Lovecraft(No I don't count The Secret World) and I lvoed PnP Call of Cthulu....but making it an MMORPG....I forsee full graveyards and Asylums and only a small number of sane palyers left on all servers after the first day lol.

Traveller/Megatraveller though I tihnk would translate well.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by Drakynn
    Originally posted by waynejr2 Traveller Call of Cthulhu GamaWorld The Morrow Project  
    I'd love to have an MMORPG based on H.P Lovecraft(No I don't count The Secret World) and I lvoed PnP Call of Cthulu....but making it an MMORPG....I forsee full graveyards and Asylums and only a small number of sane palyers left on all servers after the first day lol.

There's a very low budget Call of Cthulhu MMO with 2D graphics, but it looks like the developer gave up as the forum is nothing but spam. I think they were actually making progress, but it just stopped. The website is still up, but the last time I tried running the executable, it didn't work.

http://www.cthulhureturns.com/

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• AxehiltAxehilt Member RarePosts: 10,504

"MMO" isn't world-creation though.  It's just being massively multiplayer.  It's not required for a well-crafted world.

Mass Effect has a fantastic game universe.  It wasn't an MMO.

If you want to explore the Diablo game world in greater depth, the optimal path for that isn't an MMO but just a new game in the series with more of an emphasis on the game world than pure combat.  You don't even need to lose the focus on combat (Mass Effect is still really heavily combat-focused), you just need to put some effort into fleshing out the world.

"What is truly revealing is his implication that believing something to be true is the same as it being true. [continue]" -John Oliver

Originally posted by lizardbones

Originally posted by Drakynn

Originally posted by waynejr2 Traveller Call of Cthulhu GamaWorld The Morrow Project  

There's a very low budget Call of Cthulhu MMO with 2D graphics, but it looks like the developer gave up as the forum is nothing but spam. I think they were actually making progress, but it just stopped. The website is still up, but the last time I tried running the executable, it didn't work.

http://www.cthulhureturns.com/

yeah it does look abandoned.

If you do want a Call of Cthulhu  fix though and have an iOS or android device then look up Call of Cthulu:The Wasted Lands which is a pretty good game but simarly no longer updated ro worked on it seems.

• SwankdSwankd Member UncommonPosts: 243

I know it's been said to death, but Legend of Zelda, IMO, would be an awesome MMO!

Just imagine, you can pick from all the different races: Goron, Kokiri, Gerudo, Hylian, Sheikah, Zora, etc. You start in their home villages, and it is action-based combat like TERA and RaiderZ.

The series is singler-player based, but with enough thought put into it, it would be an amazing MMO. You could include gathering, crafting, a ton of skills for each race, and all the amazing landscapes that you traveled through in Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask. 

You could bring back all the old dungeons, make them harder, so that you will have to form raid groups to complete them. Boss fights would be harder, mini-games would be fun additions for players to go against each other. 

I honestly feel like it could be done. The storyline is so deep with The Legend of Zelda and there is so much content they could put into the game. Using the newer game engines that are coming out like the Unreal Engine, they could design a high def Zelda MMO that looks amazing and has an awesome gameplay.

• EverwestEverwest Member Posts: 75

My game is basically like GURPS, though I had never heard of it until someone recently said, "Oh, so your game is like GURPS?" 

I was like "Huhwha?  Did he just say my game is like burps?"

And yeah, a ton of work is involved in creating a system like that, but for the budget of an MMO?  Shit, I'd do that in my spare time for free.  But sure, you can pay me to do it. 

Game designers aren't very creative, unfortunately.  Hell, half of them can barely STEAL creativity correctly.