Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I'm trying to understand the appeal of this game

Comments

• Squeak69Squeak69 Member UncommonPosts: 959
    Originally posted by Eir_S
    Originally posted by Dril
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    I don't understand the appeal to someone who isn't already quite happily playing wow.

There are a lot of people who are unhappily not playing WoW, because from Cata onwards (arguably Wrath but Cata is a very clear and marked transition) the game completely took a dump all over the original vision of what it should be.

Not only that, but no matter how much I loved TBC and Wotlk, if I had to run another character to max level, I'd claw my eyes out.  Some people are simply done with WoW because they love leveling and they've just been there, done that too many times for it to be fun anymore.

sad but true no matter how great a MMO, you WILL burn out on a game after playing it enough.

F2P may be the way of the future, but ya know they dont make them like they used toimage
    Proper Grammer & spelling are extra, corrections will be LOL at.

• jenseajensea Member UncommonPosts: 47
    Originally posted by Arcona
    Lol at large scale pve.

Wow 40 people in an instance isn't large scale pve.

Remember the good times with 40 man Molten Core raids.

Waiting for people at entrance for 2 hours was so much fun.

Then explaining what people have to do for another 30 minutes.

Who doesnt want that back? :p

So to summarize, you're saying that because a large raid was a certain way 8 years ago, nothing can be changed or improved if the same number of people are present in a group today?

I guess we'll see if you're right. But I'm expecting that the devs have considered that. They were the guys who made that 40 man experience in the first place. I would hope they've learned something since then.

• HrothaHrotha Member UncommonPosts: 821
    Originally posted by keithian

I watched a few videos and the Total Biscuits play and after watching I'm trying to understand why anyone playing current available MMOs anyone would jump into this.

A) First off, in the Total Buscuit Video, he asked how would you differentiate this from WOW. The representative's only responses were:

1) The Combat

2) The Changing Builds

If that is the best answer he could give,  this game is not the holy grail these forums are making it out to be. A combat only focus didn't work for TERA and though I think GW2 is a good game, changing builds doesn't make it the worlds best game either. I stopped at end level and had no desire to continue playing.

B) The graphics/ artistry is going to turn off anyone who prefers more realism such as AOC, GW2, Rift, and hopefully Elder Scrolls Online once people realize the leaked video will not look as graphically unappealing as what that idiot playing showed by turning down all of the graphics settings. This to me looks like an Ipad Game. Kids will like it though. Yes, I believe graphics do matter in todays age. I have a powerful computer and I want something that looks nice. If people want to hang onto a 7 year old computer with a GT 7800 thats your problem.

C) Same issue that plagues other games. Mobs just stand around doing nothing. Liveliness of the world will depend on players. A good modern MMO must have a world that feels alive and that includes the NPCs.

D) Despite the ability to explore, me being an explorer, it doesn't look like a pretty enough world where I would want to.

So am I missing something that is a shocker feature  that says, wow, this is awesome, I haven't seen this in other MMOs, let me jump to this game? Anyone?

[Mod Edit:  Edited Title] OK fine. I admit it was provacative lol

I wonder what horrific lives in peoples mind to create such a thread full of negativity? You ask what negativity? It is perfectly fine to be critical and question why other people like what you do not like, but it is so obvious by how you create your phrases and the wording you use... how much hate and dislike you have inside you.

Pro-tip: If you really want to understand something, then you have to confront it from a neutral perspective. And NOT from a perspective that is so obviously defiled by what your "bad" experience where with games you have played.

Its like going to Africa and want to understand why people are starving and allday in your mind are running "N*gger, n*gger, n*gger"-thoughts. Not the ideal place to start with

Now, learn.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

It's an MMO.

It's new.

The graphics avoid the 'realistic' trap of trying to look realistic and failing.

It has some sandbox game mechanics.

It has a bunch of theme park mechanics.

It will probably be solo friendly.

It will have group content.

The developers and the game seem to have a sense of humor.

It's Free to Play. It is F2P, right? I'm pretty sure I remember seeing that some place.

It has a story for the universe and the world.

Bunny ears.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• DartmedDartmed Member Posts: 36
    Originally posted by lizardbones

It's Free to Play. It is F2P, right? I'm pretty sure I remember seeing that some place.

Nobody knows yet , no official statement still . My bet no it will not be F2P ...

• jenseajensea Member UncommonPosts: 47
    Originally posted by lizardbones

You didn't see that anyplace reliable. They haven't announced a thing about business model yet. From reading between the lines of different things that have been said, I'll shocked if it's not at the very least a hybrid model. I expect a sub.

• TokenaruTokenaru Member Posts: 58
    Most "AAA" mmorpgs launch pay to play, a few have been buy to play but those typically suck, this game is looking like it wont suck so theres your answer lol.
  • chakalakachakalaka Member UncommonPosts: 291
    I actually like the way Wildstar looks, besides a couple of the weapon skins and races but that doesn't make a break a game for me. The content looks fun and I love opposing faction type warfare. Honestly as long as it's smooth and playable I'm happy ><*
  • Punk999Punk999 Member UncommonPosts: 882

You can be a robot.

/thread

"Negaholics are people who become addicted to negativity and self-doubt, they find fault in most things and never seem to be satisfied."
    ^MMORPG.com

• FusionFusion Member UncommonPosts: 1,398

How did the saying go...

You cannot re-invent the wheel, you can only make it better.

It should be pretty clear, by now that MMO-genre has reached it's pinnacle in innovation, there's only polish and finetuning to be had.

Lots of Vanilla WoW designers on the Carbine team, so it should be alteast as good as vanilla was (one can always hope).

http://neocron-game.com/ - now totally F2P no cash-shops or micro transactions at all.
  • volski01volski01 Member Posts: 1

I watched a few videos and the Total Biscuits play

A) First off, in the Total Buscuit Video, he asked how would you differentiate this from WOW.

This was your first mistake. Watching this guy.

Or anyone who is till trying to hold up every MMO up to WoW.

• RudderRudder Member UncommonPosts: 80

It's rather obvious the Dev's or at least some of them have read the following books:

'Planetfall' by Arthur Byron Cover; and

"Starship Titanic' by Douglas Adams.

The wild and wacky world of Wildfire certainly look to have elements from those two books. As for Wow? Wow is an older game that's constantly been looking for direction.

From the video's on the game website I see elements of 'Sandbox' not normally seen in far too many MMORPG's.

• keithiankeithian Member UncommonPosts: 3,191
    Originally posted by volski01

I watched a few videos and the Total Biscuits play

A) First off, in the Total Buscuit Video, he asked how would you differentiate this from WOW.

This was your first mistake. Watching this guy.

Or anyone who is till trying to hold up every MMO up to WoW.

I don't think it was a mistake at all, but thanks. I have found his videos to be quite informative and helpful with lots of games, and amusing as well. It's also ridiculous that you think it's odd that people compare every mmo to the #1 subbed game. 

There Is Always Hope!

Originally posted by 4bsolute

I watched a few videos and the Total Biscuits play and after watching I'm trying to understand why anyone playing current available MMOs anyone would jump into this.

A) First off, in the Total Buscuit Video, he asked how would you differentiate this from WOW. The representative's only responses were:

1) The Combat

2) The Changing Builds

If that is the best answer he could give,  this game is not the holy grail these forums are making it out to be. A combat only focus didn't work for TERA and though I think GW2 is a good game, changing builds doesn't make it the worlds best game either. I stopped at end level and had no desire to continue playing.

B) The graphics/ artistry is going to turn off anyone who prefers more realism such as AOC, GW2, Rift, and hopefully Elder Scrolls Online once people realize the leaked video will not look as graphically unappealing as what that idiot playing showed by turning down all of the graphics settings. This to me looks like an Ipad Game. Kids will like it though. Yes, I believe graphics do matter in todays age. I have a powerful computer and I want something that looks nice. If people want to hang onto a 7 year old computer with a GT 7800 thats your problem.

C) Same issue that plagues other games. Mobs just stand around doing nothing. Liveliness of the world will depend on players. A good modern MMO must have a world that feels alive and that includes the NPCs.

D) Despite the ability to explore, me being an explorer, it doesn't look like a pretty enough world where I would want to.

So am I missing something that is a shocker feature  that says, wow, this is awesome, I haven't seen this in other MMOs, let me jump to this game? Anyone?

[Mod Edit:  Edited Title] OK fine. I admit it was provacative lol

I wonder what horrific lives in peoples mind to create such a thread full of negativity? You ask what negativity? It is perfectly fine to be critical and question why other people like what you do not like, but it is so obvious by how you create your phrases and the wording you use... how much hate and dislike you have inside you.

Pro-tip: If you really want to understand something, then you have to confront it from a neutral perspective. And NOT from a perspective that is so obviously defiled by what your "bad" experience where with games you have played.

Its like going to Africa and want to understand why people are starving and allday in your mind are running "N*gger, n*gger, n*gger"-thoughts. Not the ideal place to start with

Now, learn.

Sorry your response is so overly dramatic that I didn't learn anything from it, only that if I audition for a dramatic play it makes a good read. Horrific lives? Lol, it's a forum buddy get a grip. People are entitled to opinions and if you read some of my responses I responded to a couple of interesting posts. 

I  also stated a little more maturely than your post in one of my responses that I'm still going to try this game as I do every release because ultimately playing is what gives a final impression. I'm just having trouble seeing the reasons that has this as the highest hyped game. I hope soon ill see why. I don't look for any game to fail.

There Is Always Hope!

Originally posted by jensea

There are quite a few people playing WoW right now (9 million?) who obviously don't mind a cartoon style. I've read that there are an estimated 20 million former WoW players out there somewhere. Wonder how many of them are looking for a new game?  I expect it's a non-issue for Carbine.

It's probably  a mistake to assume that all players who prefer a more realistic looking game will ignore this one though. I didn't like WoW's graphics, but I played it for 6 years. GW2 has beautiful graphics. I played it for a few months. Gameplay is what many of us are looking for.

Fair point, but WOW is an anomaly due to the timing of its release, what was available at that time, the fact that many, myself included at one point, had trouble leaving due all the personal connections that were developed, and that some just fear change, but regardless, fair point, obviously many don't mind the cartoony look, though god knows how many people from these forums bashed swtor on just that topic alone. Where were you defending those threads? Lol

There Is Always Hope!

• UnrealRpgUnrealRpg Member UncommonPosts: 138
    Mistake one basing your opinion from someone else's especially totalbiscuit.
  • TheHavokTheHavok Member UncommonPosts: 2,423

There are quite a few people playing WoW right now (9 million?) who obviously don't mind a cartoon style. I've read that there are an estimated 20 million former WoW players out there somewhere. Wonder how many of them are looking for a new game?  I expect it's a non-issue for Carbine.

It's probably  a mistake to assume that all players who prefer a more realistic looking game will ignore this one though. I didn't like WoW's graphics, but I played it for 6 years. GW2 has beautiful graphics. I played it for a few months. Gameplay is what many of us are looking for.

Fair point, but WOW is an anomaly due to the timing of its release, what was available at that time, the fact that many, myself included at one point, had trouble leaving due all the personal connections that were developed, and that some just fear change, but regardless, fair point, obviously many don't mind the cartoony look, though god knows how many people from these forums bashed swtor on just that topic alone. Where were you defending those threads? Lol

Well, Swtor was shit in almost every aspect. No point in defending a shitty game, even if the argument falls on something of minor importance like graphics.

Originally posted by TheHavok

Well, Swtor was shit in almost every aspect. No point in defending a shitty game, even if the argument falls on something of minor importance like graphics.

See it's posts like these that better apply to 4bsolutes post above rather than mine. 

There Is Always Hope!

• IsawaIsawa Member UncommonPosts: 1,051
    Originally posted by TheHavok

Even though I enjoyed a playthrough on each faction (well the Empire side at least), SWTOR started off with excellent cinematics and went downhill from there. The game's characer creation didn't even offer alien races, just different skin colors for a human and some random horns. WildStar already wins here.

• free4gabfree4gab Member Posts: 12
    Depending what direction wild star Goes b2p/f2p/sub will determine alot. If wild star opens up with a lfg tool that will get you in dungeons,and have good pvp,pve, raids for end game then they will be having a good start. Alot of mmo's that tried competeing in the past either never came up with the tools people wanted and the raids for end game, or they did it too late.Wow in its vanilla stage did not have all of that it had to build up to that from the vanilla stage to mists.what helps wow to this day is that you have alot of players that were with wow from vanilla, that grew out of the game and now their kids are playing on their accounts.Their are so many mmo's out now but very few gives people what they want so they move on.If any of the new mmo's comeing out can offer everything wow does now from the start then you will see a more success.But alot of mmo's dont do that they only give you half of that if your lucky.Maybe we will see a mmo give us all that from the start out of kickstarter.
    I guess one of the problem I'm having is that like in Skyrim, I LOVE exploring. I like to see the beauty of the world, stand on a rock and looks at a beautiful waterfall, or the landscape, or the detail of rocks, etc. so if something feels too cartoony, I feel as if its a big ding in what I love to do for my particular play style. Exploring to me isn't about just looking for open paths so others can have access to those paths or finding places just to do the same thing I was doing in the places I couldn't fine. It isn't about jumping puzzles. Its about absorbing the beauty of the world. That is why realistic art appeals to me more. I want to loose myself in a world different from real life. I totally get after reading a lot of posts here that it is not everyone's same feeling, but maybe when I get my hands on this game the detail of the cartoony style will change my mind. I loved WOW and I didn't mind its art because that was the first MMO I played back in 2003 or 2004 and that entirely new experience as a whole was a big wow to me after only playing single player games on consoles.

There Is Always Hope!

• omgthisnamesuxomgthisnamesux Member UncommonPosts: 16

Alot of people had the same question back in 2006 when Valve started releasing graphics for Team Fortress 2.  While other games like Crysis and Call of Duty 4 were focused on hyper realism - valve went in the opposite direction and went for Style, Gameplay and... Fun.

I'd like to think this is what Carbine is doing... polishing the graphics and making the world immersive, but the primary focus will be on the community, the gameplay, the longevity and the "fun" aspects.  Far too many games in recent years have hyper focused on overboard graphics and visuals - and dropped the ball on content, gameplay and fun.

• JudgeUKJudgeUK Member RarePosts: 1,679

OP

The appeal of this game is that there is simply bugger all going on elsewhere.

• ZapzapZapzap Member UncommonPosts: 224
    Lol at large scale pve.

Who doesnt want that back? :p

I think you have the wrong guild.  Organized guilds start raids on time or even early.  In organized guilds all raiders come prepared knowing the strats, with consumeables, knowing their class or they will not be coming back.  What you are describing is not raiding but  a disorganized pug.  Any guild that tries to raid like you descibed should not be raiding as its a waste of everyones time.

• NikopolNikopol Member UncommonPosts: 626
    Originally posted by Robokapp
    Lol at large scale pve.

Now mention the good stuff too so you don't come off a little biased.

Interestingly, all that's just "fond memories" to me, and I'm not even joking! :)

I liked raid preparation, as it was probably the most social part of raiding to me. Though, of course, I was playing with real life friends, so that's probably the reason.