Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Wildstar ZAM interview - PVP stats are in the game

2»

Comments

• MargulisMargulis Member CommonPosts: 1,614
    Originally posted by Roxtarr
    Originally posted by 4bsolute

Just created a topic on their forums: http://wildstar-central.com/index.php?threads/the-i-am-against-pvp-stats-thread.2800/

Please vote there if you are against it. Devs are constantly checking this forum!

I am against it, which should be obvious for everyone else.

And your poll is 50/50 which is exaclty what is to be expected. PvE players don't want to have to PvP to get PvP gear.

One more thing people don't get: PvP gear's accessibiliy isn't just based on time in the game - it's based on elo rating (skill). You still have to be decent to get the best stuff.  WildStar's matchmaking will only put you up against opponents of similar elo rating so you're not going to going up agaist the best of the best anyway, unless you're good. But at least you won't be good becasue of that awesome sword drop you got in a raid - you'll be good because you can actually PvP.

Doesn't look 50/50 to me. 

I don't pvp so I don't really care, but I can see the argument.  Think it would make more sense to just have an equalized set of stats or gear when you go into a pvp map

• achesomaachesoma Member RarePosts: 1,726
    Yay, double gear grind.  Disappointing but was expected.  As if there needs to be more fragmentation between pvers and pvpers which is exactly what separate stats do.  It's like devs are trying push players into a certain playtype.  "Just stay in your area and don't come out!"  I miss the days when there was no such thing as a "pvp stat" in MMOs. 
    Preaching Pantheon to People at PAX  PAX East 2018 Day 4 - YouTube
  • Ramonski7Ramonski7 Member UncommonPosts: 2,662
    Originally posted by DeniZg

Link

I'm very much against this. What's your opinion?

Terrible idea! There should be three endgame means to obtain the best gear: PvE (raiding), PvP (rank points) and crafting. The only difference between the three sets should be appearance and/or color. The only thing raiding should get you over PvP and crafting are raid boss trophies to boost your stats when you place them in your home. For PvP over crafting and raiding should be PK trophies with different but equally beneficial stat boost. And crafting over raiding and PvP should have Masterpieces that are equally difficult to create.

This way there can be distinction between the 3 paths while keeping the ability to draw players from each pool of playing styles a viable option. This ridiculous balancing act for two playing styles (minus crafting because it always gets the short end of the stick) is fallacy and devs might as well be chasing the dragon trying to keep up.

"Small minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas."

• tokinitokini Member UncommonPosts: 372
    Originally posted by Ramonski7
    Originally posted by DeniZg

Link

I'm very much against this. What's your opinion?

Terrible idea! There should be three endgame means to obtain the best gear: PvE (raiding), PvP (rank points) and crafting. The only difference between the three sets should be appearance and/or color. The only thing raiding should get you over PvP and crafting are raid boss trophies to boost your stats when you place them in your home. For PvP over crafting and raiding should be PK trophies with different but equally beneficial stat boost. And crafting over raiding and PvP should have Masterpieces that are equally difficult to create.

This way there can be distinction between the 3 paths while keeping the ability to draw players from each pool of playing styles a viable option. This ridiculous balancing act for two playing styles (minus crafting because it always gets the short end of the stick) is fallacy and devs might as well be chasing the dragon trying to keep up.

the issue always becomes time spent.  raids tend to have weeekly lockouts, so that limits the speed at which the raider gets geared. the pvper needs some level of 'renown' or badges to earn, generally. the crafter is limited by how quickly he can gather the materials, level up the craft itself.

i personally like the idea that a set of 'best in slot' gear would come from a multitude of sources, the helm from a raid, the sword from a crafter, the trinket from pvp, the cape from a quest...etc. etc.

how do you balance this? do you limit how many items a pvper can buy per week? do you add week long cooldowns to the craft recipes that create best in slot items? or do you remove raid lockouts so they can increase the speed of aquiring gear? or do you just roll with it, let the guy that didnt sleep for 2 weeks and gets all best pvp items out gear a person who has been raiding for months, or the guy who has spent time and ingame cash to aquire all the best craft items?

• tokinitokini Member UncommonPosts: 372
    Originally posted by Grohmm

...The progression is the chore of a MMORPG, you really have to understand this...

freudian slip...?  :)

• FdzzaiglFdzzaigl Member UncommonPosts: 2,433

Doesn't surprise me, but not a fan of it either.

It can be an effective way of balancing PvP against PvE, but it's also a very unelegant way imo.

Any new player to PvP will get absolutely raped by more veteran or more hardcore players, regardless of skill and solely because of a gear advantage.

Things like a damage / healing reduction when engaged against other players, or an equal playing field like in GW2's sPvP play are far superior ways of balancing PvP imo.

Even WoW is starting to see this, as their next patch will remove resilience from gear and give all players an equal base amount of resilience (which can still be improved by gems). PvP power will remain in the game.

Originally posted by tokini

the issue always becomes time spent.  raids tend to have weeekly lockouts, so that limits the speed at which the raider gets geared. the pvper needs some level of 'renown' or badges to earn, generally. the crafter is limited by how quickly he can gather the materials, level up the craft itself.

i personally like the idea that a set of 'best in slot' gear would come from a multitude of sources, the helm from a raid, the sword from a crafter, the trinket from pvp, the cape from a quest...etc. etc.

how do you balance this? do you limit how many items a pvper can buy per week? do you add week long cooldowns to the craft recipes that create best in slot items? or do you remove raid lockouts so they can increase the speed of aquiring gear? or do you just roll with it, let the guy that didnt sleep for 2 weeks and gets all best pvp items out gear a person who has been raiding for months, or the guy who has spent time and ingame cash to aquire all the best craft items?

Assuming PvP gear acquisition will be based on a certain currency, that kind of thing can be regulated fairly easily as well. By simply implementing weekly caps on currency gains for example.

Personally I'm a fan of currency based systems for PvE as well. Tired and sick of RNG when looting.

Feel free to use my referral link for SW:TOR if you want to test out the game. You'll get some special unlocks!

• GoldenTiger2GoldenTiger2 Member UncommonPosts: 39
    Originally posted by neorandom

they need to stop having special "pvp" and "pve" stats.

just have your end game gear, and let people get it via pvp and pve, if someone doesnt want to do one or the other this impacts them 0, if someone does both, again 0 impact.

its the only way to have balance since theres no throwing anything off by having different stat sets.

I agree... DAOC and other games had it right. Maybe make it so pvp-obtained gear tends to have more of X stat and PVE more of Y stat but a hard delineation is just poor game design.

• JoePesciJoePesci Member Posts: 12

[quote]We’re not focusing on open-world PvP for launch.[/quote]

(How do I make something look like a quote in this forum?)

This is what bothers me a lot. She didn't explicitely say that world PvP won't be possible, but I assume the worst, as it's a trend with new mmos to be extra care-bear. Though according to other information, there will be PvP servers, but even on those there will be zones where players will be "immune" to PvP if they don't flag themselves.

I just want to be able attack anyone, including my own faction if I choose to. What the heck is the problem? Why do we have so much "god-modes" and invulnerabilities in these games?

From an in-game perspective, what exactly is the reason or explanation for not being able to attack other players? It just doesn't seem right. They're breaking immersion. Stop PvP immunity, or make a PK server on top of a PvP server that has absolutely no safe zones at all.

• silvermembersilvermember Member UncommonPosts: 526

Reading more and more aboot this game, it is screaming p2p. There is no real reason to have seperate PvP and PvE stats other than to artificially extend "progression".

This is beginning to look like a game I should avoid. I love PvP but that doesn't mean I enjoy the need to have 2 separate sets of armor. 

• Instigator-JonesInstigator-Jones Member UncommonPosts: 530
    I don't understand how it's 'screaming to be P2P'? They kinda hinted when they introduced housing "Drop a little cash and get a plot of your own" (not a direct quote but very similar). I have a feeling all the housing will be cash shop packs and the play will be from a B2P model. This is what I hear screaming, not another monthly sub/rent.
  • ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Basicly
    Wow in space with instanced housing and gw2 style combat then.
  • ShaighShaigh Member EpicPosts: 2,142

The key is to make PvE-gear decent for PvP and PvP gear decent for PvE, but if you want the best gear you should have to do both.

Iselin: And the next person who says "but it's a business, they need to make money" can just go fuck yourself.
  • lolunaticlolunatic Member Posts: 108
    Originally posted by Shaigh

The key is to make PvE-gear decent for PvP and PvP gear decent for PvE, but if you want the best gear you should have to do both.

Um. No.

If I want to pvp I shouldn't have to waste my time pveing.

• IncomparableIncomparable Member UncommonPosts: 1,138

This is when devs lose focus and starting shitting over something good.

The draw of wildstar is the challenge and fun. The diversity in content that from the start, its already engaging and challenging. Its not a boring grind, that leads to end game of another grind. That would be an obvious fail.

however, they are making a mistake by making only the lvling more about fun than grind and the end game more about grind than fun.

This is a no name IP. Why would the crowd they are attracting of experienced mmo players want to do a pve grind and a pvp grind?

There should be only one group of tiered gear for end game that works for pve and pvp.

the only way this is acceptable if we can pve with pvp gear at any challenge and pve gear can pvp just as well. Otherwise it becomes a grind to isolate gameplays with a grind that is too exclusive to enjoy both.

i hope that you realize this, and voice your opinion. And if they are listening and you people have good taste and common sense, and care about time well spent, you will tell the devs this is not what you want.

Also it makes things easier to balance by not having a pvp stat. They can focus more on developing content, which these grinds try to make up for. So the devs should add these shitty grinds if they are inedpt and incapable of delivering content rather than making content accessible and fun.

“Write bad things that are done to you in sand, but write the good things that happen to you on a piece of marble”

• Punk999Punk999 Member UncommonPosts: 882
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    Basicly
    Wow in space with instanced housing and gw2 style combat then.

I thought the same thing.

They really could be unique here but hmmm damn pvp stats.

"Negaholics are people who become addicted to negativity and self-doubt, they find fault in most things and never seem to be satisfied."
    ^MMORPG.com