Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

AMD Radeon HD 7990 launches. World doesn't care.

QuizzicalQuizzical Posts: 14,765Member Uncommon

AMD today launched the Radeon HD 7990, which basically constitutes two Radeon HD 7970s on a single card.  It's a little faster than a GeForce GTX 690, but also uses a lot more power, so if you're limited by power, the latter is the better buy.  It's also more expensive than two Radeon HD 7970 GHz Edition cards while being slower, so if you're not sharply limited by power, two (or three!) 7970 GHz Edition cards make more sense.  If you want the fastest performance you can get in a single slot, the older unofficial 7990s from PowerColor and Asus are clocked higher, so the new 7990 is slower than those.  If you want max performance at any price, then two or three GeForce GTX Titans is the way to go, as that has considerably faster GPUs.

So basically, AMD just launched a new card and I don't see any reason why anyone would want to get one.  But hey, it's finally here after being delayed by a year or so from the initial rumors.

«134

Comments

  • MukeMuke BredaPosts: 2,166Member Uncommon
    Now I definately want one.

    "going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

  • Mtibbs1989Mtibbs1989 Fredericksburg, VAPosts: 2,920Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Quizzical

    AMD today launched the Radeon HD 7990, which basically constitutes two Radeon HD 7970s on a single card.  It's a little faster than a GeForce GTX 690, but also uses a lot more power, so if you're limited by power, the latter is the better buy.  It's also more expensive than two Radeon HD 7970 GHz Edition cards while being slower, so if you're not sharply limited by power, two (or three!) 7970 GHz Edition cards make more sense.  If you want the fastest performance you can get in a single slot, the older unofficial 7990s from PowerColor and Asus are clocked higher, so the new 7990 is slower than those.  If you want max performance at any price, then two or three GeForce GTX Titans is the way to go, as that has considerably faster GPUs.

    So basically, AMD just launched a new card and I don't see any reason why anyone would want to get one.  But hey, it's finally here after being delayed by a year or so from the initial rumors.

     The Titan isn't a card that's "better" than the GTX 690. They've stated this a few times already. 

    “You’re going to see some people who just say, "I want maximum frame rate" and if you want maximum frame rate, GTX 690 is you.” - Nvidia’s Tom Petersen

    "If you want the best experience, if you want the best acoustics, then Titan is for you.”  - Nvidia’s Tom Petersen

    Don't argue otherwise, this is directly from Nvidia themselves.

    image

    Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.
  • HorusraHorusra maryland, MDPosts: 2,578Member Uncommon
    I do not think I will ever buy an AMD again.  I got one now after only using NVIDIA and I hate it.  Issues with games.  Display drivers failing.  Look at the site and see it is a common problem that is suppose to be fixed...never get fixed.  I will pay the extra for Nvidia from now on.  I might have a dud for a card, but it has turned me off from the company.
  • ArakaziArakazi OxfordPosts: 889Member
    It looks massive! I think it takes up 3 slots.
  • TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Arkham, VAPosts: 10,910Member


    Originally posted by Muke
    Now I definately want one.

    It has three red fans!

    I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

  • Mtibbs1989Mtibbs1989 Fredericksburg, VAPosts: 2,920Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by lizardbones

     


    Originally posted by Muke
    Now I definately want one.


    It has three red fans!

     

     Now you see the issue with the red fans? Well they didn't go ahead and put flames on them. Because we all know flames make things go faster. :)

    image

    Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.
  • BlackLightzBlackLightz Posts: 17Member Common

    One step for mankind, one more step in the endless line of GFX cards with a minor upgrade.

     

  • Pixel_JockeyPixel_Jockey Auburn Hills, MIPosts: 165Member
    Originally posted by Horusra
    I do not think I will ever buy an AMD again.  I got one now after only using NVIDIA and I hate it.  Issues with games.  Display drivers failing.  Look at the site and see it is a common problem that is suppose to be fixed...never get fixed.  I will pay the extra for Nvidia from now on.  I might have a dud for a card, but it has turned me off from the company.

    I have built 3 gaming rigs in the last 8 years and have had AMD cards in each of them. I have personally experienced little to no issues with games and I have a collection of over 50. I also update my drivers regularly, that might have something to do with it. With that said, you could certainly have a bad card.

    I have no problem with nVidia, but I also have not had any problems with AMD so no reason for me to switch.

  • Mtibbs1989Mtibbs1989 Fredericksburg, VAPosts: 2,920Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by BlackLightz

    One step for mankind, one more step in the endless line of GFX cards with a minor upgrade.

     

    "Computer advancements double every 18 months." - Moore's Law

    image

    Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.
  • TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Arkham, VAPosts: 10,910Member


    Originally posted by Mtibbs1989
    Originally posted by lizardbones   Originally posted by Muke Now I definately want one.
    It has three red fans!  
     Now you see the issue with the red fans? Well they didn't go ahead and put flames on them. Because we all know flames make things go faster. :)


    They also didn't put a wider exhaust on it, which is good because otherwise the torque from the fans might push it right out of the case. I think the only other thing they could have done would be to wire the fans or processors in parallel, dropping the ohm load to get deeper bass.

    I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

  • Mtibbs1989Mtibbs1989 Fredericksburg, VAPosts: 2,920Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by lizardbones

     


    Originally posted by Mtibbs1989

    Originally posted by lizardbones  

    Originally posted by Muke Now I definately want one.
    It has three red fans!  
     Now you see the issue with the red fans? Well they didn't go ahead and put flames on them. Because we all know flames make things go faster. :)

    They also didn't put a wider exhaust on it, which is good because otherwise the torque from the fans might push it right out of the case. I think the only other thing they could have done would be to wire the fans or processors in parallel, dropping the ohm load to get deeper bass.

     

    lol

    image

    Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.
  • Pixel_JockeyPixel_Jockey Auburn Hills, MIPosts: 165Member
    Originally posted by lizardbones

     


    Originally posted by Mtibbs1989

    Originally posted by lizardbones  

    Originally posted by Muke Now I definately want one.
    It has three red fans!  
     Now you see the issue with the red fans? Well they didn't go ahead and put flames on them. Because we all know flames make things go faster. :)
    Heck yeah they do, just like the "turbo" button on most of the early generation PCs...lol. I remember being a teenager and opening the case on my Pentium 133 machine (1.2 GB HDD baby!!!!) and found the turbo button wasn't wired to anything, needless to say I stopped pushing it.

     

     

  • botrytisbotrytis In Flux, MIPosts: 2,567Member
    I have several 5 -7 year old ATI cards that are still running and I have had more NVidia cards that self-implode than I can count. Currently using a 7970 and am very happy with it - seems more stable the the NVidia card it replaced that died.

    image

    "In 50 years, when I talk to my grandchildren about these days, I'll make sure to mention what an accomplished MMO player I was. They are going to be so proud ..."
    by Naqaj - 7/17/2013 MMORPG.com forum

  • Pixel_JockeyPixel_Jockey Auburn Hills, MIPosts: 165Member
    Originally posted by botrytis
    I have several 5 -7 year old ATI cards that are still running and I have had more NVidia cards that self-implode than I can count. Currently using a 7970 and am very happy with it - seems more stable the the NVidia card it replaced that died.

    I owned 1 nVidia card before, an 8800GTX. It would over heat after about 10-15 minutes in most games and I would have to shut down. I even had the Asus version with the fancy heat sink (and no it wasn't a case cooling issue) I tried AMD after that and have been with them since. 

  • Mtibbs1989Mtibbs1989 Fredericksburg, VAPosts: 2,920Member Uncommon
     Another flaw in the OP's logic is that they keep overlooking when it comes to hardware is that software (especially games) aren't tested with every type of hardware on the market. Which means the TITAN, 690,680, 7870 or 7890 won't always be the best of the best because the software might not be optimized for that type of hardware.

    image

    Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.
  • Pixel_JockeyPixel_Jockey Auburn Hills, MIPosts: 165Member
    Originally posted by Mtibbs1989
     Another flaw that people keep overlooking when it comes to hardware is that software (especially games) aren't tested with every type of hardware on the market. Which means the TITAN, 690,680, 7870 or 7890 won't always be the best of the best because the software might not be optimized for that type of hardware.

    Indeed, there are allot of variables. Heck, I remember some games coming out and wouldn't even play on certain cards until the company updated thier drivers.

  • UndeadlyUndeadly SouthamptonPosts: 52Member

    Heck yeah they do, just like the "turbo" button on most of the early generation PCs...lol. I remember being a teenager and opening the case on my Pentium 133 machine (1.2 GB HDD baby!!!!) and found the turbo button wasn't wired to anything, needless to say I stopped pushing it.

     

     

    Made me laugh!

  • UndeadlyUndeadly SouthamptonPosts: 52Member
    Originally posted by Mtibbs1989
    Originally posted by lizardbones

     


    Originally posted by Muke
    Now I definately want one.


    It has three red fans!

     

     Now you see the issue with the red fans? Well they didn't go ahead and put flames on them. Because we all know flames make things go faster. :)

    LOL

     

  • Mtibbs1989Mtibbs1989 Fredericksburg, VAPosts: 2,920Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Pixel_Jockey
    Originally posted by Mtibbs1989
     Another flaw that people keep overlooking when it comes to hardware is that software (especially games) aren't tested with every type of hardware on the market. Which means the TITAN, 690,680, 7870 or 7890 won't always be the best of the best because the software might not be optimized for that type of hardware.

    Indeed, there are allot of variables. Heck, I remember some games coming out and wouldn't even play on certain cards until the company updated thier drivers.

     When GW 2 was released my buddy had already went out and bought a GTX 690 ( I believe he bought 2 690's) for his computer in preperation of the game. I myself have a Radeon 5880 which is essentially a mid range graphics card. My Radeon card was getting 80 fps at ultra/high settings while my buddy barely pulled 20-30 frames. He was utterly pissed off as I sat there laughing in the background. The same happened with my younger brother who had bought a 680 and experienced the same issues.

     While I know these cards do benchmark 2-3x better than my card. It goes to show that if your card isn't optimized you're s.o.l until they improve the quality.

    image

    Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.
  • MukeMuke BredaPosts: 2,166Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Undeadly
    Originally posted by Mtibbs1989
    Originally posted by lizardbones

     


    Originally posted by Muke
    Now I definately want one.


    It has three red fans!

     

     Now you see the issue with the red fans? Well they didn't go ahead and put flames on them. Because we all know flames make things go faster. :)

    LOL

     

    Don't lauch, my graphic cards have jetfighter prints on the fan casings, so that gives it a extra boost!

    "going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

  • Mtibbs1989Mtibbs1989 Fredericksburg, VAPosts: 2,920Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Muke
    Originally posted by Undeadly
    Originally posted by Mtibbs1989
    Originally posted by lizardbones

     


    Originally posted by Muke
    Now I definately want one.


    It has three red fans!

     

     Now you see the issue with the red fans? Well they didn't go ahead and put flames on them. Because we all know flames make things go faster. :)

    LOL

     

    Don't lauch, my graphic cards have jetfighter prints on the fan casings, so that gives it a extra boost!

     That extra throttle gives you the edge you need in combat when flying a fighter plane in BF3?

    image

    Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.
  • MukeMuke BredaPosts: 2,166Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Mtibbs1989

     That extra throttle gives you the edge you need in combat when flying a fighter plane in BF3?

    I am one of the few not playing BF3 because frankly, I hate Cod and BF3...I rather play Doom/UT type sci fi games.

    Crawling up to a sniper and empty 2 pistol magazines into someone's back of the head, only to witness him standing up, turn around and kill me with 1 knife stroke wasn't my thing. :)

    But back to the graphics thing, I had my best experiences with ATI cards, every Nvidia-and other cards died on me rather quickly.

     

    "going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

  • Mtibbs1989Mtibbs1989 Fredericksburg, VAPosts: 2,920Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Muke
    Originally posted by Mtibbs1989

     That extra throttle gives you the edge you need in combat when flying a fighter plane in BF3?

    I am one of the few not playing BF3 because frankly, I hate Cod and BF3...I rather play Doom/UT type sci fi games.

    Crawling up to a sniper and empty 2 pistol magazines into someone's back of the head, only to witness him standing up, turn around and kill me with 1 knife stroke wasn't my thing. :)

    But back to the graphics thing, I had my best experiences with ATI cards, every Nvidia-and other cards died on me rather quickly.

     

     I can't say that I've ever experienced a card dying on me. I don't have a fanboy preference either. I just find the one that's the best for my buck. However, assuming that the newest cards on the market are going to be the best thing in the world will be a wake up call for many people. Moore's law is an actual fact and computer technology doubles every 18 months. So that $1,000.00 USD you spent on the Titan card was essentially wasted; because there's going to be a card twice as good 18 months from now.

    image

    Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.
  • curacura WarsawPosts: 950Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Horusra
    I do not think I will ever buy an AMD again.  I got one now after only using NVIDIA and I hate it.  Issues with games.  Display drivers failing.  Look at the site and see it is a common problem that is suppose to be fixed...never get fixed.  I will pay the extra for Nvidia from now on.  I might have a dud for a card, but it has turned me off from the company.

    Same. I had some AMD processors and ATI VGAs but i prefer Intels for overclockability and Nvidias for driver support. No reason to go cheap

  • BoudewijnsBoudewijns AntwerpPosts: 133Member Uncommon
    i always used nvidia, switched to ati once and had to replace it 3-4 months later so i stick to nvidia

    image

«134
Sign In or Register to comment.