Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

EQ Next Info

TimothyTierlessTimothyTierless ColumnistM, ORPosts: 2,163Member Uncommon

Anyone see the new EQ Next info on massively, it says "the biggest sandbox ever designed' and we are extremely happy to be working on the most innovative MMORPG under development."

The post couldn't go into specifics about the project, but it did say that the team is doing "remarkable things" with the game."

It's nice to see SOE still does the same kind of ridiculous marketing they did back before I knew better. I have a lot of hope for EQN but that was just lame.Promise everything and deliver nothing.

Comments

• IkonisIkonis Raleigh, ARPosts: 214Member Uncommon

Complain about promises and hype of one game, throw money at promises and hype of another.  

Yep.

• TimothyTierlessTimothyTierless Columnist M, ORPosts: 2,163Member Uncommon

Originally posted by Ikonis
    Complain about promises and hype of one game, throw money at promises and hype of another.  Yep.  

You made me smile.

It's about transparency, tact, and approach. I love hype, I hate trolling which is what I think this link compares to.

http://massively.joystiq.com/2013/04/23/storybricks-team-announces-everquest-next-collaboration/

• AeliousAelious Portland, ORPosts: 2,854Member Uncommon

Here is better info:

http://eq2wire.com/2013/04/23/storybricks-announces-eqnext-involvement/

Hype shmyte, if the game is what it should be and is good hype doesn't matter.  I am extremely excited about EQN but I'm also mature enough to realize anything could come of it.  Here's to August image

• MystaisMystais Purcellville, VAPosts: 72Member

So EQNext will also have a "Foundry".  That, by itself,  makes it no more of a sandbox than Neverwinter or Star Trek Online.  It's nice but hopefully SOE is not tagging EQNext as a sandbox based only on this because they'd be very wrong.

Player created content is created by players via ingame interaction made possible by a sandbox environment, not by a quest making tool.  

I'm getting the feeling SOE is being misleading and trying to hype this as a sandbox when it actually is not.  I have yet to hear of a single actual sandbox feature to be included in EQNext.  All I keep hearing is the word sandbox, nothing more.

Tabletop RPG gaming since Chainmail and D&D was a blue book with some cheap plastic dice and a crayon. MMORPGing since MOOS/MUDS, when forums were just bulletin boards and players actually roleplayed their characters.

• PhelcherPhelcher Boston, MAPosts: 1,053Member

EQNext: The Norranthian Story..  won't need advertizement.

Go play Planetside2 and imagine all those guild structures in an Open World..  w/ Wizards & Orcs..   you'll just want to be in this gameworld. That is the reason SOE is mum. Nothing compares and it's cost is irrelevant because you'll want to rob your neighbor to keep playing.

^^

"No they are not charity. That is where the whales come in. (I play for free. Whales pays.) Devs get a business. That is how it works."

-Nariusseldon

• TyriasTyrias ZwollePosts: 12Member
    Meh, it's SOE, they promised awesome things for Planetside 2 too, but look at that game now. 
  • NadiaNadia Canonsburg, PAPosts: 11,866Member Common
    Originally posted by Mystais

I have yet to hear of a single actual sandbox feature to be included in EQNext.  All I keep hearing is the word sandbox, nothing more.

August 1st is the reveal - 3 more months - 100 days

• ArclanArclan Chicago, ILPosts: 1,494Member Uncommon

High hopes for EQN; which does not suggest I am optimistic; only hopeful.

Just read about storybricks. Hmm I imagine this toolset is being used by the SOE developers; I doubt it will be something put in hands of players.

Luckily, i don't need you to like me to enjoy video games. -nariusseldon.
    In F2P I think it's more a case of the game's trying to play the player's. -laserit

• HedeonHedeon GraestedPosts: 954Member Uncommon

certainly is abit of a dare, to claim it is the worlds largest sandbox game, especially on these forums, where some people most likely will be very vocal about this not being a sandbox....the most sandboxy feature they have announced so far were some sort of terraforming.

anyway SOE always use big words, but certainly am looking forward to see their game in August...hopefully try before the end of the year : P

• MukeMuke BredaPosts: 2,172Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Tierless

Anyone see the new EQ Next info on massively, it says "the biggest sandbox ever designed' and we are extremely happy to be working on the most innovative MMORPG under development."

I wonder how if they really surpass EVE Online as the most innovative and biggest sandbox.

It's a bold claim they make.

Is this gonna be a single shard servercluster or single 'realms' with 2000-5000 players on it?

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

• MukeMuke BredaPosts: 2,172Member Uncommon

Well, I am not a fan of Smed's SOE either, but I liked EQ2 and it's customer's service, it was the SOE AUstin SWG division and Smed ofc I had problems with and makes me stay clear of their products....

Still, it could be that they learned of their mistakes, but definately not gonna preorder till and play this game till at least a year after release.

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

• HedeonHedeon GraestedPosts: 954Member Uncommon
    [mod edit]
  • tixylixtixylix gfff, TNPosts: 1,208Member Uncommon
    SOE, all hype, never deliver.
  • SulaaSulaa nPosts: 1,151Member Common

EQ Next business model will revolve around players themself creating various items for cash shop.  Items that will go to CS will be hand-picked by SOE staff and player will get partial revenue from it's sales.  Of course SOE will sell their own items as well, including but not limited to items that can be used as 'builders' to create more CS items by players.

RMAH and Cash Shop merged with players designing CS items themself and SOE having more control over it. From business perspective for SOE potentially brilliant idea.  It ventures partially into Project Entropia / Second Life sphere.

System is alrady implemented, althrough in milder way in other SOE titles and it's called Player Studio.

• ShakyMoShakyMo BradfordPosts: 7,207Member
    Originally posted by Tierless

The post couldn't go into specifics about the project, but it did say that the team is doing "remarkable things" with the game."

It's nice to see SOE still does the same kind of ridiculous marketing they did back before I knew better. I have a lot of hope for EQN but that was just lame.Promise everything and deliver nothing.

The engine team has already done fantastic things, as a planetside 2 player I can happily say Lightforge is the best mmo engine since eves.

Originally posted by tixylix

they delivered with PS2, best mmo pvp in a decade.

youre going back to ps1, eve and daoc for better pvp.

Originally posted by Tyrias
    Meh, it's SOE, they promised awesome things for Planetside 2 too, but look at that game now. 

yeah their most profitable game in years, still doing well and improving with every update.

• TheocritusTheocritus Gary, INPosts: 3,752Member Uncommon

SOE promises awesome things for every game they have ever made.....They struck it rich with EQ, EQ2 made some because of EQ's success, and basically everything else they made stinks.....

So EQNext will also have a "Foundry".  That, by itself,  makes it no more of a sandbox than Neverwinter or Star Trek Online.  It's nice but hopefully SOE is not tagging EQNext as a sandbox based only on this because they'd be very wrong.

Player created content is created by players via ingame interaction made possible by a sandbox environment, not by a quest making tool.  

I'm getting the feeling SOE is being misleading and trying to hype this as a sandbox when it actually is not.  I have yet to hear of a single actual sandbox feature to be included in EQNext.  All I keep hearing is the word sandbox, nothing more.

Neverwinter is a massive themepark, instanced to feck.

EQN wont be a true sandbox like eve or uo though, but I reckon it will be massively more sandboxy than eq2, and a bit more the EQ.

on the themepark/sandbox spectrum i reckon it will fall somewhere between vanilla EQ/DAOC and AC1/SWG.

I also reckon it will be the most pvp orientated EQ to date, not massively so like Darkfall or whatever, but at least your GW2 level, probably a bit more.

Originally posted by Theocritus

SOE promises awesome things for every game they have ever made.....They struck it rich with EQ, EQ2 made some because of EQ's success, and basically everything else they made stinks.....

planetside 1 is easily my 3rd favourite mmo, i liked early EQ, but EQ2 sorry, its not a good MMO, even with sony mmos PS1 and SWG vanilla are better, I would even venture PS2 and Vangaurd are better games (because they stick to 1 thing well) , of that proper themepark trio that really kicked off all the instancing stuff, i prefer COH to wow, and i prefer wow to EQ2 (well vanilla)

• ZedTheRockZedTheRock Florence, KYPosts: 172Member

You people really need to get your definitions on the same track.  Having the ability to build and create is the hallmark of a sandbox game.  Or at least thats what we've been told for years.

As long as EQNext doesn't go the forced PvP route and its primary focus is on PvE in a sandbox world then I can get onboard, well that nad an innovative combat system i.e. not tab targetting.

Forced PvP and Tab Target combat is the 2 worst things SOE could do.

SUP

• VengeSunsoarVengeSunsoar Posts: 5,316Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by ShakyMo

Neverwinter is a massive themepark, instanced to feck.

EQN wont be a true sandbox like eve or uo though, but I reckon it will be massively more sandboxy than eq2, and a bit more the EQ.

on the themepark/sandbox spectrum i reckon it will fall somewhere between vanilla EQ/DAOC and AC1/SWG.

I also reckon it will be the most pvp orientated EQ to date, not massively so like Darkfall or whatever, but at least your GW2 level, probably a bit more.

Hmm I'm not saying you are wrong but "massively more than EQ2 and a bit more than EQ"

How is EQ more sandboxy than EQ2?

Both have customized housing - however EQ2 has far more options.

EQ2 even lets you write your own books.

Both have class systems - although EQ2 lets you craft the upgrades yourself.

Both have instancing now, although EQ2 started with it.

Both let you go almost anywhere, but if not the right level you are dead.  Both have limits on where you can go (i.e. LDON and planes in EQ, dungeons and such in EQ2)

Again not saying you are wrong but what does EQ have that makes it more sandboxy?

edit - if I had to pull things out of my butt and guess.  I would say it will have some kind of customized housing (ala EQ, EQ2, VG has poor housing imo but has it, DCUO has some customization in their bases)

-  Not skill based but might be a mixture of skil and class, that is you have a base class but can pull in some attributes from other classes

-  No zone limits as in you can go anywhere any time, whether you should or not is a different story.

and thats all I got.

I expect it will have tab target combat

Quit worrying about other players in a game and just play.

• tixylixtixylix gfff, TNPosts: 1,208Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    Originally posted by tixylix

they delivered with PS2, best mmo pvp in a decade.

youre going back to ps1, eve and daoc for better pvp.

PS2 sucked, everyone I know quit pretty fast and the game is continuing to decline. I tried to go back but the population is nothing like it was last year, only one Island ever has big battles and that's only during peak time, the rest of the day it's dead. 

SOE failed so hard, no sense of accomplishment or progression, even less than PS because you cannot own a cont. The base design sucks, they're giant but have very little floor plan in them. The weapons are all generic, look the same and play the same within their type, none of them feel unique and they managed to butcher HA so badly.

The game is a mess, it feels nothing like Planetside and bombed hard.

Hmm that's funny seen as I always have to queue when there's an alert on, my guild runs 2 private and 1 public platoon most of the day, there are another 5 or so simmilar sized guilds in my faction and we are the smallest faction.

Oh and you can grab continents now.
    A lot of the meta game was missing at launch, but they keep adding that in with the monthly updates, next one swaps to the new hex based map system, which should bring in choke points like ps1 bridge battles.
    EQ is more "sandboxy" than eq2 because its less bloody instanced (well no instances at all in vanilla)

To me that year with wow / eq2 / coh defined what a themepark is.

Yeah latter there's been a trend towards even more linear and more instanced games, but those 3 set the pattern.