Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Poll Added] Which MMO Would You Play 'Offline'?

Comments

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    Ever quest, The Secret World and Vanguard. Maybe DCUO and Never winter.
  • ZedTheRockZedTheRock Member UncommonPosts: 175
    None becasue playing with others is infinetly more fun then playing with myself.

SUP

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by ZedTheRock
    None becasue playing with others is infinetly more fun then playing with myself.

hehehehehehe

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• superniceguysuperniceguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,278
    Originally posted by dave6660
    None of them.  I play mmo's so I can play with / against other players.

Yeah but there are some MMOs that are more single player centric, eg SWTOR, especially with its single player space game

Also thread is asking which MMO would you play offline not as single player - PSO plus on Gamecube allows you to play offline with 3 real life friends in split screen. It is better online as do not get split screen, but considering the servers are shut down now, means you can keep playing it forever.

Originally posted by superniceguy
    Originally posted by dave6660 None of them.  I play mmo's so I can play with / against other players.
    Yeah but there are some MMOs that are more single player centric, eg SWTOR, especially with its single player space game

Also thread is asking which MMO would you play offline not as single player - PSO plus on Gamecube allows you to play offline with 3 real life friends in split screen. It is better online as do not get split screen, but considering the servers are shut down now, means you can keep playing it forever.

The title says 'Offline', but if you read the original post and look at the poll options, playing a game as single player is fair game, up to and including envisioning a game as being rewritten as a single player game with everything that implies.

• DauzqulDauzqul Member RarePosts: 1,982
    This is funny, because the last 5 AAA MMOs felt like I was playing offline.

Originally posted by Dauzqul

I think that could be said to some extent about most recent MMOs. They are catering to a more solo play style. However, that's not what I'm talking about. This isn't a commentary on how MMOs are written or how MMOs should be written.

For instance, SWToR put more resources and focus into the single player aspects of the game than the multiplayer aspects of the game. I don't know if they actually did, but it certainly seems like they cut and paste a lot of the development ideas. I don't think SWToR would have made a better single player game though. I think Bioware would have been much better suited to writing a single player game, but SWToR could have been a great MMO because the content was very suited to being an MMO. My final summary for SWToR is that it should be an MMO, just one that's much better than what was done.

TSW is the inverse. The content seems very suited to being a single player RPG to me. However, they managed to write a good MMO, even if it wasn't a commercial success. Given that they took content that doesn't seem to be suited to the MMO treatment and did a good job, I think a single player RPG would have been phenomenal.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

You don't play SP games at all?

If so, you can just switch the label. MMO is just a label anyway. If one has good SP content, is there a reason not to play it as such?

• ZedTheRockZedTheRock Member UncommonPosts: 175
    Originally posted by nariusseldon

You don't play SP games at all?

If so, you can just switch the label. MMO is just a label anyway. If one has good SP content, is there a reason not to play it as such?

I have purchased single player games but the last one I actually beat was The Walking Dead.  Working on Skyrim again, in small chunks is all I can stand because I want to learn the lore for TESO.  Friends try to get me to buy games al lthe time, somone recommended Portal 2 the other night.  Looked into it and meh.  Same for Far Cry 3, Dishonered, and Bioshock.  single players games do not interest me in the slightest.

I got started with D&D back in 1982, this was before the advent of console games so if I wanted to play a video game I had to go to the arcade and play Pacman, Digdug and others. Even though I enjoyed these they were never as entertaining as sitting around my Mom's kitchen table playing D&D with Friends.  Given the opportunity to either play a game like D&D and later Cyberpunk, Twilight 2000, Shadowrun, Marvel Heros, and Warhammer for RPG's or Axis and Allies, Fortress America, and Shogun for boardgames over going to the arcade and playing a bunch of single player games. I would choose the former every single time. There is just something magical of playing a game, what ever game it may be, with friends and/or other like minded individuals. The same can be said for any game, especially sporting games. I often shot basketball by myself but it is always more fun with others.

SUP

• WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,360

this , is sad that mmorpgs are more now Single rpgs that toss some "players" around you ....so u dont feel alone...

thats reminds me the whole CRZ fiasco in wow....

Originally posted by Skuall

this , is sad that mmorpgs are more now Single rpgs that toss some "players" around you ....so u dont feel alone...

Why is that sad if that is what players want?

Muffins has officially become the most picked response, followed closely by the idea that there are MMOs that could be better if rewritten as single player games.

mmmm, muffins.

Originally posted by lizardbones

Muffins has officially become the most picked response, followed closely by the idea that there are MMOs that could be better if rewritten as single player games.

mmmm, muffins.

I wonder if a rewrite is needed. Some MMOs you can already play like SP game. Just go into a STO story mission instance .. no one will ever bother you if you don't want them to.

Originally posted by lizardbones Muffins has officially become the most picked response, followed closely by the idea that there are MMOs that could be better if rewritten as single player games. mmmm, muffins.
    I wonder if a rewrite is needed. Some MMOs you can already play like SP game. Just go into a STO story mission instance .. no one will ever bother you if you don't want them to.

I think the rewrite would be necessary if for no other reason than to remove the network dependancy. Beyond that, I think while there are MMOs where the subject matter is very suited to single player games, the questing, hub like progression, combat and graphics could all use some retooling for a single player game. The AI could be improved too. Just the ability to pause the game and get a drink would require some of the code to be rewritten.

I don't think this about every MMO though. SWToR in particular could use a rewrite, but to make it a better MMO, not to make it a single player game.

• SulaaSulaa Member UncommonPosts: 1,329
    Single player RPGs are superior in single player department in comparision with MMOs.  I don't see myself playing MMO by myself offline.  I would rather play superior single player RPG if I am to play solo offline.
    Originally posted by Sulaa
    Single player RPGs are superior in single player department in comparision with MMOs.  I don't see myself playing MMO by myself offline.  I would rather play superior single player RPG if I am to play solo offline.

What if you want to play Star Trek SP story missions and there is no such game produced in the last 5 years?

I play STO precisely because of that. If you want Star Trek (particularly next gen era) SP game, playing STO solo is the only option.

Originally posted by lizardbones

Originally posted by lizardbones Muffins has officially become the most picked response, followed closely by the idea that there are MMOs that could be better if rewritten as single player games. mmmm, muffins.

I think the rewrite would be necessary if for no other reason than to remove the network dependancy. Beyond that, I think while there are MMOs where the subject matter is very suited to single player games, the questing, hub like progression, combat and graphics could all use some retooling for a single player game. The AI could be improved too. Just the ability to pause the game and get a drink would require some of the code to be rewritten.

I don't think this about every MMO though. SWToR in particular could use a rewrite, but to make it a better MMO, not to make it a single player game.

Certainly i do not disagree that a rewrite will make MMO *better* Sp games. But my piont is that some of them are already good enough.

Originally posted by lizardbones   Originally posted by nariusseldon Originally posted by lizardbones Muffins has officially become the most picked response, followed closely by the idea that there are MMOs that could be better if rewritten as single player games. mmmm, muffins.
    I think the rewrite would be necessary if for no other reason than to remove the network dependancy. Beyond that, I think while there are MMOs where the subject matter is very suited to single player games, the questing, hub like progression, combat and graphics could all use some retooling for a single player game. The AI could be improved too. Just the ability to pause the game and get a drink would require some of the code to be rewritten. I don't think this about every MMO though. SWToR in particular could use a rewrite, but to make it a better MMO, not to make it a single player game.  
    Certainly i do not disagree that a rewrite will make MMO *better* Sp games. But my piont is that some of them are already good enough.

Of the MMOs I've played, the only one that would be close is TSW. In the other MMOs, only removing the other players would remove a lot of the incentive to play the game. For me, for games other than TSW a rewrite wouldn't make things better, it would be necessary just to play the game.

I haven't played all the MMOs though. Not even close. DDO and LoTRO have been mentioned and they might make good single player games by just not having other players and I'd have no idea.

• PAL-18PAL-18 Member UncommonPosts: 844

Counter Strike GO.

Man i was happy when they announced this beast,i bought it and believed that my skills are still in place after so many years,but maaan i was wrong,my skills  were actually rusted.

Against the bots we ride ,i really cant go to even publics anymore.

Thank god for the bots and offline play.

So, did ESO have a successful launch? Yes, yes it did.By Ryan Getchell on April 02, 2014.
    **On the radar: http://www.cyberpunk.net/ **

What if you want to play Star Trek SP story missions and there is no such game produced in the last 5 years?

I play STO precisely because of that. If you want Star Trek (particularly next gen era) SP game, playing STO solo is the only option.

Generally am not that attached to specific Intelectual Properties.  I am not going to play game that's not good enough  just because it has Intellectual Property I do like. It is not strong enough 'draw' for me. Of course that mean that good gameplay, but atricious setting that put me off - also mean I won't play it.  Both setting and gameplay has to 'click' with me.    If that's only one of those things - it's not enough.

Generally am not that attached to specific Intelectual Properties.  I am not going to play game that's not good enough  just because it has Intellectual Property I do like. It is not strong enough 'draw' for me. Of course that mean that good gameplay, but atricious setting that put me off - also mean I won't play it.  Both setting and gameplay has to 'click' with me.    If that's only one of those things - it's not enough.

And you understand that there are people who do. Star Trek is dear to many. You won't play it .. many will just because it is star trek.

Heck, even TOR. Quite a bad game, in my view, even in the SP department. But it is right up there in xfire, and sold 2M out of the gate.

• udonudon Member UncommonPosts: 1,803

I can't think of any MMO that you could just flip the single player switch on and would be really fun to play.  The problem is that MMO's are designed with the limitations that having mulitple players all entering the world at different times puts on story.  The world can't really evolve over time becaues you never know when a new player will pick up the game.  Instead the story has to evolve over space unravailing as you travel though the world.

With significant rewriting of the game a lot of MMO's would make good single player games.  SWTOR, DCUO, STO and TSW would probably be at the top of my list.

And you understand that there are people who do. Star Trek is dear to many. You won't play it .. many will just because it is star trek.

Heck, even TOR. Quite a bad game, in my view, even in the SP department. But it is right up there in xfire, and sold 2M out of the gate.

Yes. I do understand that. Other people don't need my permision and I don't need their permission. It really does not matter for me if there is 200k or 2 mln people playing certain game. It does matter for me - if I like it or not.  Not if some other person do.

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,737
    To be honest I really dont like offline play...The games I have played that offered this, I eventually jsut ended up doing everything offfline and not playing online at all.....To me the incentives need to be to make me want to play online.....If I gain skills, money, or anything else offline then I ahve little incentive to play.....
    Originally posted by Theocritus
    To be honest I really dont like offline play...The games I have played that offered this, I eventually jsut ended up doing everything offfline and not playing online at all.....To me the incentives need to be to make me want to play online.....If I gain skills, money, or anything else offline then I ahve little incentive to play.....

Either you are having fun playing offline ... so what is wrong with that?, or

you are NOT having fun playing offline .. and in that case, why do you continue at all?

I don't see why a game needs to make me want to play online. If it is fun and entertaining, should i care?