Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Poll Added] Which MMO Would You Play 'Offline'?

Comments

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by Sevenstar61
    Originally posted by Wickedjelly Without a doubt both SWTOR and TSW would have been better developed as single player games
    You should add In your opinion. I love SWTOR operations... I don't think it would be possible to solo them :)

In a lot of threads, that would be a fair statement because expressing opinions as facts is pretty much an epidemic on these forums. In this thread though, opinions are facts.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

Not too many votes, but I'm going to go out on a limb here and say the answer in general is "Yes, there are games that people think would be better as single player games", and if there were a list, The Secret World and Star Wars: The Old Republic would be at the top of the list with Champions Online running a distant third.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    There are several MMOs that I'd really enjoy not so much as singleplayer but as friends-and-family multiplayer games, mostly the ones where the game shifts to open world PVP around mid-level. AION is the first one that comes to mind. 

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,627
    SWTOR and AoC stories, I played them solo just fine.
    "The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

• superniceguysuperniceguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,278
    Originally posted by Sevenstar61
    Originally posted by Wickedjelly
    Without a doubt both SWTOR and TSW would have been better developed as single player games

You should add In your opinion. I love SWTOR operations... I don't think it would be possible to solo them :)

If the game was offline, then the game would be modified as such and they would be soloed, or those parts of the game could have been added as multiplayer. In KOTOR you had several companions with you, and not just one.

The main stories could have easily been single player, and have drop in drop out co-op like Lego Star Wars.

The way SWTOR was designed is deeper than a single player game, but shallower than a typical MMO.

• QuirhidQuirhid Member UncommonPosts: 6,230

None really, but if I had to choose then perhaps DDO. And even that would require some significant changes.

I don't like what some SRPGs have adopted from MMOs either.

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

Originally posted by remyburke
    None. I play MMOs to play with other people. It's the ONLY reason I play them over single player games...which usually offer a richer experience.

None? Was SWTORs space multiplayer fun? I could not get to play with other people myself, the game would not allow me, it must have been bugged on me!

• MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614

Star Wars Galaxies.

You could play it solo or in big groups, instead of the "100% need to group up and take healer-dps-tank roles or you won't go anywhere" strategy most MMO's have these days.

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

• NL-RikkertNL-Rikkert Member UncommonPosts: 134

Damn you muffins! you win again!!!

but no seriously, I think GW2 would be better off (for me personally!) as a TES like SP experience.

Also I'd prefer TSW as a co-op (say 4-8 players) game.

And finally I'd really love a new Warcraft SP game in the franchise (as in Warcraft 1/2/3).

As a true final thought, you could look at it the other way around: Which SP games do you not want to see as a MMO.

In this case I can only say TES!!!! 

STOOPID
    When someone does something so utterly moronic that it kills your brain cells at the very thought of it.

• splongsplong Member UncommonPosts: 15

Vanguard, it has a very huge world to explore and a build in TCG.

just upgrade the graphic and add a story line to link the contents.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    I don't get the swtor thing. The stories are markedly inferior to the kotor games. The choices you make are relevant too. Say you play a jedi and make lots of darkside choices, you just end up being a "slightly naughty boy jedi". In kotor your choices mattered.
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    I don't get the swtor thing. The stories are markedly inferior to the kotor games. The choices you make are relevant too. Say you play a jedi and make lots of darkside choices, you just end up being a "slightly naughty boy jedi". In kotor your choices mattered.

That is the point. If SWTOR was a single player game like KOTOR, and it have been KOTOR 3 instead, the stories would have been better. Stories are best left to single player games, MMOs are designed so you mainly create the story yourself, not be told it by the developers.

• jmcdermottukjmcdermottuk Member RarePosts: 1,571

Generally I don 't think there are any MMO's I'd prefer to play as a single player game because, as others have pointed out, I play these MMO's for the player interaction.

However, I voted that there was an MMO I thought should have been made as a SRPG. That game is SWTOR. I think it would have been a bigger success if it was made as KOTOR 3. As an MMO SWTOR leavs a lot to be desired. I know it has it's fan base but I think the majority opinion is that, as an MMO, it's not very well done. That's the one exception I can think of.

• RoguewizRoguewiz Member UncommonPosts: 711

SWTOR and TSW.  GW2 offline, but with Network Multiplayer to play with friends.

As far as WoW goes:  Single or Multi, doesn't matter...I wouldn't play the game again.

Raquelis in various games
    Played: Everything
    Playing: Nioh 2, Civ6
    Wants: The World
    Anticipating: Everquest Next Crowfall, Pantheon, Elden Ring

Tank - Healer - Support: The REAL Trinity

Originally posted by superniceguy
    Originally posted by ShakyMo I don't get the swtor thing. The stories are markedly inferior to the kotor games. The choices you make are relevant too. Say you play a jedi and make lots of darkside choices, you just end up being a "slightly naughty boy jedi". In kotor your choices mattered.
    That is the point. If SWTOR was a single player game like KOTOR, and it have been KOTOR 3 instead, the stories would have been better. Stories are best left to single player games, MMOs are designed so you mainly create the story yourself, not be told it by the developers.

This is more what I was getting at with TSW. Instead of watering things down and giving the subject matter the MMO treatment, they could have given it the attention it deserved and ended up with a better game.

Now, I do get what people are saying about SWToR, but I think the subject matter lends itself very well to being an MMO, they just didn't do a very good job of it. They actually could have done two games, one a single player RPG, and another multiplayer or MMO that extended the single player game. Bah.

• dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699
    None of them.  I play mmo's so I can play with / against other players.

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,384
    Originally posted by NL-Rikkert

Damn you muffins! you win again!!!

but no seriously, I think GW2 would be better off (for me personally!) as a TES like SP experience.

Also I'd prefer TSW as a co-op (say 4-8 players) game.

And finally I'd really love a new Warcraft SP game in the franchise (as in Warcraft 1/2/3).

As a true final thought, you could look at it the other way around: Which SP games do you not want to see as a MMO.

In this case I can only say TES!!!! 

I have to disagree on that GW2 part. Already a lot of events are hard to solo.

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• LeiloniLeiloni Member RarePosts: 1,266
    For me MMO's are much more fun when played with other people. Even when I'm out solo questing or playing by myself, the world is still alive with other players questing near me, or chatting in global chat channels, or doing things about town, etc. Single players RPGs, while they can be fun, do not offer the same sense of community and the world is not alive in the same way so it's an entirely different experience. So no I would not play any of them offline, I'd much rather be playing them online.
  • corpusccorpusc Member UncommonPosts: 1,341
    Originally posted by MMOExposed

Darkfall would be pretty cool offline. No more ganks. yay!!! top of my list.

good choice.  its the only one i can think of that has entertaining PVE, therefore a lot of people could enjoy it without PVP. 

---------------------------

Corpus Callosum    

---------------------------

• RossbossRossboss Member Posts: 240
    I wish some MMORPGs had "Offline" modes of play. Sometimes I think it would benefit the users to just put them offline.

I played WoW up until WotLK, played RoM for 2 years and now Rift.
    I am F2P player. I support games when I feel they deserve my money and I want the items enough.
    I don't troll, and I don't take kindly to trolls.

• AxehiltAxehilt Member RarePosts: 10,504

No poll option really applies.

• There are a few MMORPGs which, had they originally been done as SRPGs, they would be fun games.  I absolutely agree with the OP that TSW is one of the best examples of this, due to the nature of the horror genre.
    • And nearly every MMORPG, had it originally been designed as a Cooperative Multiplayer RPG with auctions, would be a considerably better game.  The massive time savings avoiding MMO systems would be far better spent on aspects of the game which meaningfully increase the game's fun.  Shared social spaces are fantastic, but going for a full-on MMO costs a lot of money.

"What is truly revealing is his implication that believing something to be true is the same as it being true. [continue]" -John Oliver

Originally posted by Axehilt
    No poll option really applies. There are a few MMORPGs which, had they originally been done as SRPGs, they would be fun games.  I absolutely agree with the OP that TSW is one of the best examples of this, due to the nature of the horror genre. And nearly every MMORPG, had it originally been designed as a Cooperative Multiplayer RPG with auctions, would be a considerably better game.  The massive time savings avoiding MMO systems would be far better spent on aspects of the game which meaningfully increase the game's fun.  Shared social spaces are fantastic, but going for a full-on MMO costs a lot of money.

Your second bullet point really seems like a no-brainer to me. That's why it's not in the poll or my original post. I think if I asked that question, the answer would be, "Yes, and all of them". I would only add that I think letting players have personal servers the way Minecraft does would be the best way to go.

I don't know what happened to the formatting of your post. That part of MMORPG.com's website doesn't seem to work for me.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by Axehilt

No poll option really applies.

• There are a few MMORPGs which, had they originally been done as SRPGs, they would be fun games.  I absolutely agree with the OP that TSW is one of the best examples of this, due to the nature of the horror genre.
    • And nearly every MMORPG, had it originally been designed as a Cooperative Multiplayer RPG with auctions, would be a considerably better game.  The massive time savings avoiding MMO systems would be far better spent on aspects of the game which meaningfully increase the game's fun.  Shared social spaces are fantastic, but going for a full-on MMO costs a lot of money.

Agreed. And many players play MMOs as either SP, or online MP RPG anyway.

• AxehiltAxehilt Member RarePosts: 10,504
    Originally posted by Torvaldr

I play TSW very much on my own.  Sometimes I'll team up with someone else but mostly not.  I like being online with other people, trading, crafting, helping out with their goals, and such, but I hate being funneled into doing that all the time.  I hate having my progress and exploration through a game guided, directed, and controlled by others.

Sure, but you see what the OP is saying right?

It's like a horror scene in a movie at a remote cabin.  The protagonist seems completely alone.  Isolated against some terrible phantom force.  There's a lot of tension to that kind of situation.

But if midway through you show a scene with a couple of random people walking by outside the cabin's window, suddenly it removes that sense of lonely isolation that creates the tension -- and that tension is the crucial glue that makes a horror scene work.

Same deal with TSW: when you're actually alone, it's a solid horror title, but it's not uncommon to see some random person running by and sort of disrupts the mood of the game as a horror platform.

"What is truly revealing is his implication that believing something to be true is the same as it being true. [continue]" -John Oliver

• BahamutKaiserBahamutKaiser Member UncommonPosts: 314

Vindictus. There are a lot of MMOs which are basically just multiplayers anyway, not massive legitimately, which are fine being single playing game, or at the least, simple multiplayer games.

I like MMOs, but I don't really need a massive social gathering, I'm glad enough to play isolated multiplayer.

Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes.
    That way, if they get angry, they'll be a mile away... and barefoot.