Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Poll Added] Which MMO Would You Play 'Offline'?

Comments

• BigHatLoganBigHatLogan Member Posts: 688
    I don't like where this thread is going.  Can you imagine if single player RPGs just had a bunch of quest givers and kill 10 wolf quests????  I can't think of any MMORPG ever made that I would play offline.  The majority of MMORPGs have a lot of boring mechanics that you grind through so you can get an advantage over other players and get to the end game when the real fun starts (or so they lead you to believe)  I've said before that if an MMORPG ceases to be fun if you remove all progression aspects then it simply is not a fun game but rather is a complex trick to waste people's time through behavioral conditioning.  The only reason i ever bother playing mmorpgs is that PVP can often be a fun mechanic that can convince me personally to grind through boring crap.  

Are you a Pavlovian Fish Biscuit Addict? Get Help Now!
    I will play no more MMORPGs until somethign good comes out!

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by Reizla
    Originally posted by TribeofOne Id play SWToR and TSW offline.
    Was about to say SWTOR myself, and you're right about TSW as well.

Funny to see this thread there BTW. I was talking about this problem earlier on today in my SWTOR guild and almost everyone agreed that SWTOR is more a single player game than a MMORPG. I for once am sure not to add extra time to my sub when I've hit cap and seen all worlds. Game seems pointless after that and to level a new character only for the personal story seems silly as well. Perhaps one char on the other side to have seen it all, but that's about it...

See, I don't see this as an actual problem.

Now, SWToR having a strong single player feel and completely blowing the multiplayer aspects of the game is a problem. They had an MMO and just didn't do a real good job with it. That is a problem.

I think they did a good job with TSW, otherwise I wouldn't keep playing it. I just think the subject matter would have been better used on a single player game with optional multiplayer.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• dinamsdinams Member Posts: 1,362

SW:TOR

TSW

GW2

"It has potential"
    -Second most used phrase on existence
    "It sucks"
    -Most used phrase on existence

• maplestonemaplestone Member UncommonPosts: 3,099

Minecraft.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    None of them
    There would be No pvp
    All mmo solo pve is vastly inferior to the pve you get actual sprpgs.

A poll has been added. It does not list a bunch of MMOs that might be played as a single player game because I don't think there's any way I could get all the options in there.

• jalexbrownjalexbrown Member UncommonPosts: 253
    I don't think I've ever thought this about an MMO.  Now wishing I could play an MMO on a server with just some of my friends, on the other hand...
  • Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    Originally posted by jalexbrown
    I don't think I've ever thought this about an MMO.  Now wishing I could play an MMO on a server with just some of my friends, on the other hand...

This.  Or having scaling content ala Dragon Nest where I could beat the bosses if I was good enough at the game, but if I wanted someone else to join, they'd get tougher and the rewards would be better.

It could be a single player game if I wanted it to be, but also a multiplayer game.  I had too many bad experiences in WoW to want to join a bunch of people I don't know anymore, but I would totally play WoW again if I could just do it as a SP game.  I love the combat, the respawns, the story and the loot.  I just hate elitist a-holes.

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    Originally posted by ShakyMo

All mmo solo pve is vastly inferior to the pve you get actual sprpgs.

An opinion, one that I can't necessarily agree with.  For example, I've been playing Kingdoms of Amalur lately.  It's actually a pretty good game, but the problem is, MMOs give you respawns because of the number of players in the world who might need those mobs for a quest.  But almost all SPRPGs I've played don't have respawns nearly as quickly, or at all.  It's disappointing to me to kill everything in an area, knowing I can't backtrack for loot or to test out my new weapons and spells.  That part, at least to me, is inferior to MMOs.  It's the main reason I quit playing Skyrim (yes I know there are mods in the workshop now that "fix" this).

On the other hand, I solo'd pve content in WoW for hundreds more hours than Skyrim, simply because I knew I could go anywhere and still have things to fight and collect mats and gold from.

• EudaimonEudaimon Member UncommonPosts: 116

I've always thought that TSW would have have been better as a single-player RPG...the atmosphere and story type stuff were the best part of the game IMO.

For me,the MMO tropes in the game clashed with that at times.

If TSW had released as a single-player game, it might have been gentler on Funcom's budget too, which is by all accounts rather stretched at present.

Originally posted by Eir_S
    Originally posted by jalexbrown I don't think I've ever thought this about an MMO.  Now wishing I could play an MMO on a server with just some of my friends, on the other hand...
    This.  Or having scaling content ala Dragon Nest where I could beat the bosses if I was good enough at the game, but if I wanted someone else to join, they'd get tougher and the rewards would be better.

It could be a single player game if I wanted it to be, but also a multiplayer game.  I had too many bad experiences in WoW to want to join a bunch of people I don't know anymore, but I would totally play WoW again if I could just do it as a SP game.  I love the combat, the respawns, the story and the loot.  I just hate elitist a-holes.

I have this thought about nearly every game I play where it's possible to play with other people. That didn't seem like a very good question to ask the general public though. If I had asked the question, "Are there MMOs where you'd like to have a private server?" I think the answer would mostly have been, "Yes, and all of them".

So I asked a slightly different question. :-)

• GyrusGyrus Member UncommonPosts: 2,413

Champions Online

(Probably any game written by Cryptic using that engine actually)

Tabula Rasa

Edit: I haven't played SWTOR or TSW yet - so that's why I didn't vote for them.

Thought hard about DDO - decided no - that game can be soloed sometimes (some dungeons) but many do require - and are more fun with - a group.

Good topic.

Nothing says irony like spelling ideot wrong.

• dreamscaperdreamscaper Member UncommonPosts: 1,592

I wouldn't want them to be offline, per se. But I do wish more game would adopt systems like the old Neverwinter Nights game where you have toolsets and player run servers. This is especially necessary for quality RP environments - you simply can't do solid RP environments without the ability to mandate play styles to an extent, something that is anathema to your standard MMOG.

Not to mention, player creativity is usually massively underrated. I played many player modules that were better than anything Bioware created for those games.

<3

Originally posted by Gyrus
    Champions Online(Probably any game written by Cryptic using that engine actually) Tabula Rasa  Edit: I haven't played SWTOR or TSW yet - so that's why I didn't vote for them.Thought hard about DDO - decided no - that game can be soloed sometimes (some dungeons) but many do require - and are more fun with - a group.Good topic.

Thank you, I do try, but as I said, I can only take credit for copying the question from another site and posting it here. :-)

CO seemed like one of those games that would have been ideal for the private server treatment, but not just because that's my favorite type of multiplayer system and what I think about nearly any game where it's possible to play with other people.

CO has a good mix of multiplayer and solo content, both open world and instanced. Unlike many games, the open world content is setup so that having a bunch of other people there makes perfect sense. You're fighting an invasion force or all the heroes are hanging out in a night club (which is weird, but multiplayer). The role playing aspects of the game are very multiplayer in nature. Well, that's what I thought anyway. So while I didn't think it needed the single player treatment, I don't think it needed the MMO treatment either.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207

having thought about it.

city of heroes just to mess around with the character creator and fly around for a bit.

I cant think of a sprpg with a better character creator.

• JemAs666JemAs666 Member UncommonPosts: 252
    Bottom line for me, I don't like single player games period.  I play with my friends or I just don't play.  I don't have time to waste playing a single player game.  
  • superniceguysuperniceguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,278
    SWTOR without a doubt, especially with its space game which is single player. The space gamet could definately be offline - would give players something to do when servers are down.
  • RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,991
    None. I play MMOs to play with other people. It's the ONLY reason I play them over single player games...which usually offer a richer experience.

Joined - July 2004

• DaezAsterDaezAster Member UncommonPosts: 788
    For me it's TSW. Played it mostly sollo anyway.
  • WickedjellyWickedjelly Member Posts: 4,990
    Without a doubt both SWTOR and TSW would have been better developed as single player games

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• Cephus404Cephus404 Member CommonPosts: 3,675
    Originally posted by Amaranthar
    The big reason I want an MMO is for the other players. I really don't want an offline part of it, not even for other players, because that's not the sort of game I want to spend time in. I don't care if there are MMOs that have the option, just not in the one I want to play.

Unfortunately, the majority of other players in MMOs make them unfun.  I only play a game, any game, to have a good time, but most MMOs are filled with immature, unintelligent asshats that make me want to scream.  I don't want to play with the overwhelming majority of them, therefore I'd much rather just play offline so I can go back to having fun.

Played: UO, EQ, WoW, DDO, SWG, AO, CoH, EvE, TR, AoC, GW, GA, Aion, Allods, lots more
    Relatively Recently (Re)Played: HL2 (all), Halo (PC, all), Batman:AA; AC, ME, BS, DA, FO3, DS, Doom (all), LFD1&2, KOTOR, Portal 1&2, Blink, Elder Scrolls (all), lots more
    Now Playing: None
    Hope: None

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    TOR, TSW, STO, DDO .. all those i will play offline SP. Heck, i play some of STO story mission SP already.
  • Sevenstar61Sevenstar61 Member UncommonPosts: 1,686
    Originally posted by Wickedjelly
    Without a doubt both SWTOR and TSW would have been better developed as single player games

You should add In your opinion. I love SWTOR operations... I don't think it would be possible to solo them :)

Sith Warrior - Story of Hate and Love http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxKrlwXt7Ao
    Imperial Agent - Rise of Cipher Nine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBBj3eJWBvU&feature=youtu.be
    Imperial Agent - Hunt for the Eagle Part 1http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQqjYYU128E

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member Posts: 4,990
    Originally posted by Sevenstar61

You should add In your opinion. I love SWTOR operations... I don't think it would be possible to solo them :)

The topic itself is all about one's opinion in relation to these games. No reason people should have to preface every damn post with "in my opinion".

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• TribeofOneTribeofOne Member UncommonPosts: 1,006
    Originally posted by Sevenstar61

of course pvp wouldnt be possible in a solo game but if SWToR were a offline/single player and you could have out and use more than 1 companion at a time...totally doable